• 1 Post By 07 Boss
  • 1 Post By 07 Boss
  • 1 Post By 03SonicBoom
  • 1 Post By 07 Boss

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old August 21st, 2015, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Home electricity issue. Lil help?

Wife called me the other day and said there was no power in our bathroom outlets. I told her to reset the GFI. Came home and asked if she got juice in there and she said no because she didn't know how to reset it. I went to go look and there is no reset button on the outlet like I am used to seeing. She also said the other bathroom on the other side of the house doesn't have any outlet power either. I figured they are all wired in series because my panel outside only has one breaker marked bathroom GFI's. It was not tripped either. I turned it off and then back on again just in case.

Am I missing something? Is there another way to reset the outlets? Or do I need to replace the breaker? Kinda at a loss here. I also somehow fried the master bedroom breaker when I pushed the little test button on it. It popped and smoked and now no power to the master bedroom. I think that is pretty straight forward. Turn off master power and replace. But I'm still wondering about the bathroom outlets.

Maybe some one with some house electronics knowledge can help me out here? Thanks.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old August 21st, 2015, 10:25 PM
MM Fanatic

Does your kitchen have a reset? The kitchen and bathrooms might be wired together is my guess

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #3 of 19 Old August 21st, 2015, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07gtS197 View Post
Does your kitchen have a reset? The kitchen and bathrooms might be wired together is my guess

Nope. Can't find a single outlet with a GFI reset anywhere in the house.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Just found a regular looking GFI outlet by the fridge in the kitchen. Pushed the reset in and she did nothing. There is a red led indicator on it that turns on when I push the test button and when I push the reset button she turns red when you push it in and then goes blank when you release it. Should it be green or something?

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old August 21st, 2015, 11:00 PM
MM Fanatic

There is a GFI in our bathroom but all it has on it is a black button, and a red button. No light, so i am at a loss on that. All i can suggest is start unplugging everything and see if the outlet starts working again. Something is probably tripping the circuit. You just have to find out what.

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

If that doesnt help, start pulling the outlets themselves and make sure the wiring isnt touching something it shouldnt be.
post #5 of 19 Old August 22nd, 2015, 12:13 AM
You had one job!

When you plug something in to the gfi plug in the kitchen are you getting power? Depending on when your house was built you probably only have a few gfi plugs for the whole house. Make sure you check your outside plugs they can be gfi plug too.

1968 Coupe- Sold
2007 Premium GT- Sold
2015 GT- Premium auto, 3.55 gears, 20's

MY CO BUILD
post #6 of 19 Old August 22nd, 2015, 12:38 AM
PSN alphadong11

Is the breaker for the bathroom close to the breaker for the gfi/bath?

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

Fucking lollipop update manlol cant edit post. Ment to say is the bedroom brraker close to the bath breaker?

Quote:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
post #7 of 19 Old August 22nd, 2015, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.gonzo! View Post
Is the breaker for the bathroom close to the breaker for the gfi/bath?

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

Fucking lollipop update manlol cant edit post. Ment to say is the bedroom brraker close to the bath breaker?
Nope, about as far apart as you can get on the panel. I'll be diving into this this afternoon so any more suggestions would be really helpful.

Thanks

post #8 of 19 Old August 22nd, 2015, 01:54 PM

Just to be clear because I think some terms are being intermixed. Do you have a GFCI breaker or GFCI outlet? That would make a minor difference on how I would start troubleshooting.

post #9 of 19 Old August 22nd, 2015, 05:16 PM
MM Fanatic

Have you tried flipping the main breaker?

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #10 of 19 Old August 22nd, 2015, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Well got the gfi outlets working in the bathrooms and changed the breaker for the bedroom. Still no power to the bedroom though. Can't figure it out.

post #11 of 19 Old August 22nd, 2015, 11:09 PM
PSN alphadong11

Get a plug tester and start going through each plug finding what plugs feed each other. It's a pain in the ass but ya gotta do it.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

Also did you verify your line/load when installing the gfi?

Quote:
post #12 of 19 Old August 23rd, 2015, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

McFly! Got it figured out. Pretty stupid of me. I can find my way around the inside of a motor but when it comes to household stuff I'm pretty much a newb.

When I bought and installed the breaker, the switch was in the middle tripped position. After hooking it up and snapping it into place I just flipped it to the on position and wondered why it didn't work. Well you have to put it into the off position before flipping it back on. A simple procedure that I didn't think about. Pretty lame but I'm all smiles now.

Thanks to everyone for the help but I guess there is not a whole lot you can do to help me with my own ineptitude. Lol
slonison likes this.

post #13 of 19 Old August 23rd, 2015, 11:29 AM

I would have been so frustrated. Good job OP.

Mustang and a snake, but not a Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal96 View Post
Holy shit. I just assumed it was the porsche, not a fire breathing piece of American badassery.

MM+ Cleavage Club #28
post #14 of 19 Old August 24th, 2015, 10:38 PM
PSN alphadong11

I love the lid stuck in the ceiling.

Quote:
post #15 of 19 Old August 25th, 2015, 09:04 PM
2013 5.0

Send a message via AIM to slonison
For the record, is your house brand new or relatively new?

I went through my entire house and turned every single breaker off and tested the outlets.... none of the labels made literally ANY sense. My house was built in 1912 but still... Labels didn't make any sense...

Steve's House

120+ V6 How-To's

2013Black 5.0
2002 Black Vert - Sold
1998 True Blue Coupe - Totaled
post #16 of 19 Old August 25th, 2015, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonison View Post
For the record, is your house brand new or relatively new?

I went through my entire house and turned every single breaker off and tested the outlets.... none of the labels made literally ANY sense. My house was built in 1912 but still... Labels didn't make any sense...
My house was built in 07. All of my labels are clearly marked and correct. I even have two complete cable systems in the entire house. Every room has two cable outlets on every plug. I asked why and they said in case one system has problems or goes down you just have to switch it over instead of tearing up walls to run a new one. To me. That is just weird. I understand the need for redundant systems but it's a house cable, not an ignition system for the space shuttle.
slonison likes this.

post #17 of 19 Old August 26th, 2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
My house was built in 07. All of my labels are clearly marked and correct. I even have two complete cable systems in the entire house. Every room has two cable outlets on every plug. I asked why and they said in case one system has problems or goes down you just have to switch it over instead of tearing up walls to run a new one. To me. That is just weird. I understand the need for redundant systems but it's a house cable, not an ignition system for the space shuttle.
By cables are you talking electrical wires? If so, that makes absolutely no sense to me. If for some reason my electrical wires go down and stop working, I don't want to simply leave them in the wall. I want to tear the wall up (if needed) to figure out WHY it failed and fix the issue.
slonison likes this.

post #18 of 19 Old August 26th, 2015, 08:11 PM
PSN alphadong11

I hope he is talking about coax for tv lol

Quote:
post #19 of 19 Old August 27th, 2015, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SonicBoom View Post
By cables are you talking electrical wires? If so, that makes absolutely no sense to me. If for some reason my electrical wires go down and stop working, I don't want to simply leave them in the wall. I want to tear the wall up (if needed) to figure out WHY it failed and fix the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.gonzo! View Post
I hope he is talking about coax for tv lol
Yeah, coaxial for the TV/computer.
slonison likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page