Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 162 Old July 12th, 2016, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
MM's Caller of Bullshit

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgethis View Post
Were they able to get that one part?
Yeah, we managed to find a company in California that rebuilds them and ordered one.
post #143 of 162 Old July 20th, 2016, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
MM's Caller of Bullshit

Garage
Good news and bad news deal:

Good news:

Getting the car back tomorrow

It runs like a scalded dog

Bad news:

The throttle cable is stretched and worn enough that it won't move the carb into full throttle so it needs replaced.

The brake lines are old and expanding when under pressure so they'll need replaced.

One of the shock mount tops cracked and the shock nearly came out of the top on the passenger side so I had to order two new ones and the hardware. Went ahead and ordered a new export brace as well so I don't need to repaint them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #144 of 162 Old July 25th, 2016, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
MM's Caller of Bullshit

Garage
Got the headlight buckets replaced and the new bulbs in. This is the first time I've had the lights in since we started working on her. Transmission is all good, replaced plugs, changed the oil, going to do some carb adjustments, check the brakes, get the side mirrors installed and we should be able to get it inspected after changing the throttle cable.

post #145 of 162 Old July 29th, 2016, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
MM's Caller of Bullshit

Garage
I swear I'm changing this cars name to Christine.

The new core in the radiator developed a leak so we had to pull it again and have it repaired, at least they did it for free. Just got my new export brace and shock tower tops in (one fractured on the car) and some of the paint needs touched up on them.
post #146 of 162 Old August 9th, 2016, 08:44 PM
You had one job!

Car is really coming together!

1968 Coupe- Sold
2007 Premium GT- Sold
2015 GT- Premium auto, 3.55 gears, 20's

MY CO BUILD
post #147 of 162 Old August 10th, 2016, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
MM's Caller of Bullshit

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCStang View Post
Car is really coming together!
Thanks! It's been a long time coming for sure. We got new parts for the grille and front area trim, I need to replace a leaf spring shackle, toss the mirrors on it and I can go get it inspected so I can start driving it. The entire suspension needs swapped and the front converted to disk but its good for the time being.
post #148 of 162 Old August 17th, 2016, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
MM's Caller of Bullshit

Garage
Well, the project has come to an end. The flooding here in Baton Rouge claimed the Mustang and my scion. I can't afford to strip the car and re-restore it so its done...

It fell off of the jack stands I had under the rear to try and keep it out of the water and I think one of them dented the floor somewhere, I can't exactly tell because I ain't getting under it. Its just I don't know man. We had over 8 feet of water.

post #149 of 162 Old August 17th, 2016, 07:22 PM
MM Fanatic

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Edgethis
Jeebus man thats terrible. I wouldn't give up on it completely if you don't have to. Drain and flush everything with new fluids and see if it starts. These cars are too easy to get parts for to give up on. New carpet and seats and some time cleaning it out.

1968 Mustang coupe 5.0/T5 Build Thread
1968 Mustang fastback 351w/C4 Fastback Build
post #150 of 162 Old August 17th, 2016, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
MM's Caller of Bullshit

Garage
Quote:
Jeebus man thats terrible. I wouldn't give up on it completely if you don't have to. Drain and flush everything with new fluids and see if it starts. These cars are too easy to get parts for to give up on. New carpet and seats and some time cleaning it out.
I don't have the money for doing that again. I'd have to do a new harness, distributor, and it'll need to be tore down to stop the corrosion, it wasn't just water, it was sewage and river mud. I just don't think I have it in me to start over.
post #151 of 162 Old August 17th, 2016, 08:26 PM
MM Fanatic

Garage
I wouldn't give up on it just yet. The harness should be fine, distributor should be fine too once it dries completely.

I would buy 2 oil changes and same for trans. Change engine and trans oil, do a tune up with fresh plugs, shift through gears let it run for a couple minutes then change engine and trans again. Don't forget about the rear end also, prolly just one change needed for it tho. Maybe leave the plugs out and use a shop vac to try and suck moisture from the cylinders.

A good wash with a hose and/or some time with a shopvac will do alot. There's not too many crevices you can't get to. Rocker panel, and torque boxes are the only spots that come to mind that you can't easily get to within minutes.

I know its alot to take in on top of everything else you're dealing with but I would def not give up on your fastback.

Hell, I have a 302 distributor sitting around I can send you man if you want it. Think I even have the pertronics stuff for it. Yours if you want it.

post #152 of 162 Old August 30th, 2016, 04:39 PM
OldandFurious

Garage
Sorry about the fastback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination S197 View Post
I don't have the money for doing that again. I'd have to do a new harness, distributor, and it'll need to be tore down to stop the corrosion, it wasn't just water, it was sewage and river mud. I just don't think I have it in me to start over.
I was wondering how you made out during the flood. Sorry to hear about the fastback.
We took on 2 feet in our home. Lost just about everything we own except our 2 cars. I had antiques that were handed down for generations. I was the 4th generation to own. We saved a few pieces.
My house is now gutted,only had 11 months till we paid the house off,,waiting on FEMA & State Farm...been a rough couple of weeks. Living with friends for now.
Hang in there...

2011 GT 5.0
post #153 of 162 Old September 12th, 2016, 11:59 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I hate to hear that man. I worked in Baton Rouge for 2 years and I still have responsibility for our Baton Rouge office so I'm very familiar with what you guys went through. I had a few employees lose their cars as well.

I'm with Edge though, it might not be gone. These old cars don't have as much electronics as new ones. You didn't get any salt water so if you pull the interior and hose it down really good you should still have a solid body and harness. You will probably need a new interior but once things settle back down and everything gets back to normal that is not such a big deal, might even be able to piece together a bunch of stuff for free if you will take second hand.

I think the most expensive thing you might need is a new gauge cluster, and if you can find someone who upgraded to Autometer or Speedhut you might get one of those on the cheap too.

I'll ask my dad if he has any extra parts from his 69 fastback he doesn't need if you decide to keep it.

post #154 of 162 Old September 13th, 2016, 02:44 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination S197 View Post
I'm with aj and edge on this. I wouldn't give up on it! I really don't think it is as bad as you think. Yeah you would need a new interior, but from what I see the rest of the car is definitely fixable.

You're in better shape than I was last year. People told me to just give up and part this truck out, but I didn't listen and I'm in the middle of doing a complete restoration now.
post #155 of 162 Old September 13th, 2016, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
MM's Caller of Bullshit

Garage
The cars already been removed and signed over. I don't have a place to put it or work on it and it would have needed to be torn down. There was water in the engine, transmission, and diff. After the thousands of dollars and hours I've put into it the last year, I just couldn't see myself redoing it all, new harness again, new gauges again. The house is totaled and if it kept sitting in a neighborhood that completely devoid of people (the neighborhood was wiped out) someone would have stolen it and the car would have rotted out if I left it in storage for two years (which is probably how long its going to take before we're back in the house).

Getting rid of it was the last thing I've ever wanted to do, it's my dream to have that car but you guys have to look at it from where I'm sitting. Everything I own fits in a gym bag. If it wasn't for my dad retrieving my tools from the shed and restoring them, I'd have none of that either.

This was the house.

[IMG][/IMG]
post #156 of 162 Old September 13th, 2016, 06:15 PM
MM Fanatic

Garage
I'm sorry to hear you had to let the car go, let alone all the other things you've lost in the flood. I couldn't imagine having to do that. Do you know what they're going to do with the car? I hope it at least gets auctioned and not junked.

post #157 of 162 Old September 13th, 2016, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
MM's Caller of Bullshit

Garage
Quote:
I'm sorry to hear you had to let the car go, let alone all the other things you've lost in the flood. I couldn't imagine having to do that. Do you know what they're going to do with the car? I hope it at least gets auctioned and not junked.
From what I understand since they declared the area a state of emergency, everything claimed gets crushed. Though the claims guy I spoke with said he saw it next to a 1967 Chevelle in Mississippi where they have all of the other cars on a 100 acre lot. He said the classics were put off on their own section so im sure they'll get auctioned.
post #158 of 162 Old September 14th, 2016, 12:53 AM
Administrator

surely they'll auction it, seems dumb not to

'65 Fastback
'89 LX 5.0
'90 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'97 Cobra

post #159 of 162 Old September 15th, 2016, 09:13 AM