Why Let A Classic Rust? - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By 98FireyGT!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old December 4th, 2015, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Why Let A Classic Rust?

I have always been a car guy. For car guys it is easy to look at something the average person would think was a pile of sh%t and see a gem in the making. I will look at a rusted out truck and crawl under to see if it has Dana 44's. I will check to see if the frame is solid and say to myself it can be fixed.

The guy across the street from my mothers house has this sitting in the driveway.

1973 Dodge Challenger R/T. He bought the car in 1986 for $250 up the road from our houses. The kid that owned it got it stuck in his yard and didn't feel like dealing with it. The guy has owned it ever since. He gave me a ride to school a few times in it back in the late 80's. The car is actually pretty solid. It is a 340 4 speed(wooden pistol grip shifter) He has everything for the car in his garage. The 340 has already been honed etch. It had been stored in a barn but this will be the second winter it will be stored outside in the snow and shit.

I want to cry seeing it buried in the snow. I would love to take it off his hands if I had more time. I don't want to see the thing rot to the ground. Do you guys have any pictures of stuff like this from your areas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old December 4th, 2015, 10:46 PM
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

Garage
My cusions old bug is just sitting in a field at my uncles...... id love to get my hands on it but i bet its to far gone to save. My other cusions fox was the same way. Just roting in a field. But atleast he got it runing driving. Then he decided it wasent worth it and striped the drivetrain and crushed it.
Atleast my uncle is trying to save and hold onto his cuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
boattlebot knows what's up
post #3 of 11 Old December 4th, 2015, 10:53 PM
Administrator

and if you try to buy it... "it's not for sale, i'm gonna fix it up one day" lol

you'd puke if you saw some of my dad's cars though. he's getting old and in bad health, so he can't really fix any of his shit. he's told me before that if i want to come over and fix any of them up i can have them, but i have my own obligations that make it hard to set that kind of time aside

'65 Fastback
'89 LX 5.0
'90 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'97 Cobra

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old December 4th, 2015, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

It has sentimental value to him. I guess the time comes when you need to let it go for the better good. I would like to have it sitting as is in my garage to look at it and tinker on it. The car is pretty much stock and all there down to the original wheels.
post #5 of 11 Old December 4th, 2015, 10:58 PM
Will Eat Spam From Your Butt

Shit, if you guys are friends and you've got the time, buy a case of beer and offer to help him get his garage rearranged so he can park the car in it.

He'll owe you one and you won't have to see the car rust to pieces. Win win.
BWAL, foxfive and Lariat like this.

MM BRONY CLUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by boattlebot View Post
It's good looking and it feels so nice and soft.
post #6 of 11 Old December 4th, 2015, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

He has another car in the garage, like a Neon or something lol. Allegedly he said he is going to move it in and work on it this winter. I would give him a hand.
post #7 of 11 Old December 5th, 2015, 01:18 AM
MM Fanatic

I never understood the ones that park thier classic out back and there it sits for all eternity, rusting away, with no plans to drive it, no plans to restore it, no plans to pass it on, yet refuse to sell it. My stepdad asked about a couple over the years and most had no sentimental attachment to the car at all. They simply refused to sell it because it was worth good money. WAS being the key here. Its not worth anything if there is nothing left in 20 years. Why not sell it to someone who will restore it back to its former glory, as it should be???

For those that do have a sentimental attachment, I understand completely, but for those just hoping to get rich, please.
post #8 of 11 Old December 5th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Manthusiast

Garage
That's like my exs dad, 1971 f100 rusting in the backyard. All stock, he's just too old to work on it at this point.

1996 Laser Red Mustang GT-Totaled October 2,2012
2000 Dark Blue Explorer Sport 4.0L SOHC
2002 Honda F4i Black/Red
2000 Yamaha YZF-600R "Thunder Kitty"
2015 Ingot Silver Ford Focus SE
Carolina Crew #53
post #9 of 11 Old December 5th, 2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfive View Post
I would love to take it off his hands if I had more time.
This right here is the reason why they sit and rot. The people that have them sitting are the ones that have owned them for 15+ years and they were purchased for a few hundred. In their mind they want to fix it up but they don't have time and so they sit. Maybe one day they will be fixed up or maybe they'll just rot into the ground.

Our 66 Mustang sat with my dad from the early 1980's until 2002. For 20 years it sat because my dad wanted to fix it up but didn't have the time. Then when I was in high school we made time and got it fixed up. You never know, maybe 10 years from now you neighbor will get it fixed up.

post #10 of 11 Old December 5th, 2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boattlebot View Post
My cusions old bug is just sitting in a field at my uncles...... id love to get my hands on it but i bet its to far gone to save. My other cusions fox was the same way. Just roting in a field. But atleast he got it runing driving. Then he decided it wasent worth it and striped the drivetrain and crushed it.
Atleast my uncle is trying to save and hold onto his cuda
What are cusions?

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #11 of 11 Old December 5th, 2015, 06:05 PM
Why not have a Fox?

There's an old lady in my hometown who has a 1970 Buick GS 455, my dream car minus a few options. After many failed attempts to get in contact with her via in person and on phone, I finally got her to answer her phone. She has lived in that house all her life, it was her parents, and her dad bought the car for her new when she was in high school. She still had it registered and insured, and supposedly drove it once in a while, but looking at the tires and the crap in the street next to it, it looked as if she hadn't driven it in years.

According to some older friends of mine who grew up with her, she was abused as a child and she's pretty much lost her mind by now. She didn't quite sound like that on the phone, but supposedly her mind comes and goes. Her neighbors will go weeks without seeing her or any evidence of activity, besides her lights being on at odd hours of the night.

While I spoke with her on the phone, she mentioned she was looking for good shops to have work on the car and restore it, but that will never happen. Her neighbors mentioned to me that many people have tried to buy the car over the years, but she refuses to sell. I found that out on my own before they told me. It's sad to see such a unique car sit and rot away. All this happened about 3 years ago. I drive by that car every time I come home, but last time I drove by, it was gone. I hope whoever bought it will restore it to its former glory. I just wish it could have been me...

I never took any pictures of it, but luckily Google street view is still old enough that the car is still sitting in the drive.

Clueless College Kids Slow Budget Fox Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8t6gt View Post
Dont even know what you're talking about. But Aladdin was always the Disney character I trusted the most, so go for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page