Home Theater Help - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Austin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old December 29th, 2015, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Made in U.S.A.

Home Theater Help

I'm going to preface this with I'm not into home theater stuff and have pretty little knowledge about it.

When we built our home we had some pretty standard ceiling speakers installed throughout the house. I finally got a receiver for the house for Christmas. We got a Yamaha RX-V679 7.2 receiver. Plus some other thing to help split the signal to the rooms.

Now, I'm needing to purchase at least a center speaker and a subwoofer for the family room. I'll also want to upgrade the ceiling speakers out there eventually.

I'll be using these for my family room where we watch TV / movies. Every once in a while we'll listen to music for a party. Can anyone recommend a few products?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old December 29th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Bo Baustin

Garage
I've always heard good things about Klipsch.
98FireyGT! likes this.
post #3 of 20 Old December 29th, 2015, 05:30 PM
MM Fanatic

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Edgethis
Bose is nice stuff, too.

https://www.bose.com/products/speake...e_theater.html

1968 Mustang coupe 5.0/T5 Build Thread
1968 Mustang fastback 351w/C4 Fastback Build

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old December 29th, 2015, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Made in U.S.A.

Yeah I was leaning towards anything Klipsch but couldn't find a center speaker. I was looking at these subwoofers though. Not sure how much I'm really wanting to spend, nothing crazy.

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-SW-112.../dp/B0046L6NF0

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Sub-12.../dp/B003VIWK0G

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FJ..._t2_B0002KVQBA

I just found out that I have Klipsch R-1650-C in the ceilings throughout. Pretty basic but hey at least they are Klipsch. I was thinking they were some crappy no name speaker lol.
post #5 of 20 Old December 29th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Bo Baustin

Garage
What is your budget

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

treed lol

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MA5204M?psc=1

This one has decent ratings lol
post #6 of 20 Old December 29th, 2015, 06:25 PM

If it's going to be used for TV/surround sound then I would first ask where are the speakers located in relation to your sitting/viewing area. Make sure they're located halfway decently so they act as they should. If they aren't and it's primarily a sound system, the following isn't so true.

Your surround speakers are primarily for smaller "less important" sounds. This will usually be more background noises than main focus noises (think rain, or crowd noises in football games, plane flying by etc.). Since they are not your primary speakers, if you're on a budget this is the area to save on. Your center channel is going to be where most of your dialog comes from. Make sure you get something that performs well in the vocal/dialog range (roughly 100-1,000Hz). Your front stereo speakers are arguably going to be your most important. You will get a bit of everything from these and this is where I would get the best speakers (followed closely by the center). Pretty much everyone knows about sub-woofers, they're filling in the lower part of the frequency range that's missing from the other speakers. Personally, I think there is negligible difference between 5.1 and 7.1. If you're budgeting, skip the extra 2 speakers and run 5.1.

Finding good speaker recommendations online without audio equipment to set it up is six of one and half dozen of another. You're going to get recommendations from all the major higher end companies (Klipsch, Bose, JBL, etc.) and they'll all sound pretty decent. Find something in the price range you like and go buy it. Unless you're going to start getting frequency response charts and trying to lay something out it's all opinions.

post #7 of 20 Old December 29th, 2015, 08:15 PM
Powered by LSx tears

Location: Where the rays of light shine through my Shiner Bock bottle

Whatever you do, steer clear of Bose. They have excellent marketing.....

Can't go wrong with Klipsch, but you may want to look at SVS for a sub. They are an amazing sub for the price.

Do you have front surround speakers already, or are you just not using them? Just curious since you just said center speaker. I didn't want the clutter of front surround speakers, so I bought the Klipsch G-42 soundbar that has all the channels, and you'd be surprised at how good it sounds. To go with it, I have Klipsch CDT-5800C in ceiling speakers, and a SVS PB2000 sub, and I wish you could come hear it to understand how good it sounds. My boss spent a lot of money on a media room, and stuff in my living sounds at least as good, and I'm not kidding.

The SVS sub is unreal. It's subtle when it needs to be subtle, and its presence is known when the time comes.

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

These are the in ceiling speakers. It's an 8" driver and both speakers are aimable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtnstrns View Post
I'll toss that dude's salad

post #8 of 20 Old December 29th, 2015, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Made in U.S.A.

I've always hated Bose but I won a set of Bose Companion II PC speakers and I'm not very impressed with them. They aren't bad though and I've still got them up. With that said I'm not doing anything Bose elsewhere lol.

So right now I only have the receiver I posted earlier and the four ceiling speakers (Klipsch R-1650-C) where the TV is in the family room. Plus two ceiling speakers in every other room, etc. I was thinking I would need to upgrade the front two in the near future. Right? What's a good center speaker? Seems like I need to spend some money there?
post #9 of 20 Old December 30th, 2015, 10:09 PM
MM Fanatic

I have this sub and wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. Amazingly clean and plenty of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siko2 View Post
Sometimes when I defecate I use my old play-doh shapes and hold them gently up to my anus. I make poo shapes and present them to my friends and close family.
post #10 of 20 Old January 4th, 2016, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Made in U.S.A.

Any more suggestions on a center channel and subwoofer? Really need some help.

I was looking at some Polk and Klipsch stuff. Anyone have opinions on the Polk stuff?

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

I'm really stuck because I simply don't have much knowledge on this stuff. Reading reviews isn't as helpful as I'd like it to be. Opinions on the following products? Paging @03SonicBoom & @69fastback

This Klipsch set-up which I worry could cause an issue since the ceiling speakers aren't going to be nearly on the same level. Advice?

This Klipsch subwoofer seems like a really good deal so maybe this regardless of the center channel speaker.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...=A89QP6D3VDW1W

Cheapest Klipsch center channel I could find. Anything else out there?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...A3MHJLSLQR2CVH

or do I go with something cheaper like Polk? Something like this sub?

https://smile.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-...polk+subwoofer

TL2 or TL3 center channel?

https://smile.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-...hannel+speaker

https://smile.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-...olk+center+tl3
post #11 of 20 Old January 4th, 2016, 11:13 AM

It's not my money we're talking about so I will say I think the Klipsch speakers are the best listed and buy them (they're also the most expensive).

Hands down if it was my money, I would spend the extra on the center channel. The Polk ones have a low cutoff around 120Hz which means they're going to start to fade a little before that. In some instances you might have some deep male vocals that are near or below that range. Plus, the Polk speakers have a sensitivity of 90 dB/W. The Klipsch center extends a full octave lower to 60Hz and has a sensitivity of 95 dB/W.

Sensitivity plays a large factor in volume. Lets look at the two speakers (Polk and Klipsch) and round the Klipsch sensitivity to 96 dB/W. I believe both speakers have a RMS power of 125W. When looking at sensitivity and increase of 3 dB is effectively doubling the power for a given volume. So if speaker A has a sensitivity of 93 dB/W and you feed it 50W it will play at a given volume. If you choose speaker B that has a sensitivity of 90 dB/W, you will have to feed it 100W for it to play at the same volume. If we look back at the Klipsch and Polk centers, if you max out the Polk center you would be getting the same volume level from the Klipsch and be feeding them just around 35W. I don't know about your receiver, but you will to pushing fewer Watts so less heat, the Klipsch speakers will be much further away from their max so less distortion, and they'll be playing much lower. If you maxed out the Klipsch volume with 125W you would have to feed the Polks 500W for the same level.

Watts don't mean everything and really don't mean much. It's just easier to simplify things with it and show the Klipsch center is a much better center that I would spend the extra money on.

I don't know too much about purchased powered subs as I build all of mine and choose them based of speaker T/S parameters. Seeing as how they are both the same price, I'm partial to Klipsch over Polk. But I would wait for other's opinions on the subs.

post #12 of 20 Old January 4th, 2016, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Made in U.S.A.

Appreciate the advice and info. I've pretty close in choosing these two. Good? I can get the center for $225 through my wife's work but the subwoofer price was $477 so Amazon is much cheaper! Seems like it's a pretty good deal on the sub?

post #13 of 20 Old January 4th, 2016, 06:16 PM