Anyone ride dirt bikes? - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old February 10th, 2016, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
The Boss is in

Anyone ride dirt bikes?

I finally got another one a few months ago after being off one for 5 years. I grew up riding on my parents farm and down our two tracks since its legal to ride atvs on the side of the road in Michigan.

I picked up a 2005 KTM 125sx for pretty cheap. It's ended up being a god send this winter with my medical shit going on. I'm able to go out into the barn and tinker on it when I'm feeling good and it keeps my mind off everything.

What do you have?

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Here it is when I first bought it. It was pretty filthy with some terrible graphics.

Here it is as of now. I've replaced the graphics with the 2015 style KTM graphics and cleaned it a bit. I still got some more cleaning to do and tonight I'll probably pull the carb off and go through it. Make sure they didn't screw up jetting or anything. The exhaust is off in the picture too because I took it off and replaced the o rings and polished up the chrome.

solidhadriel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old February 10th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Zip's Supervisor

Send a message via AIM to Rhythm Stick Send a message via MSN to Rhythm Stick
I haven't ridden a dirt bike in about 12 years or so. I'd love to get back into it. Once I'm financially stable, I'll probably get a motorcycle to ride on the weekends but my wife is totally opposed to the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
I has the sex with your dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1dmb! View Post
I can't imagine trying to run a man over in a car wash, but this is Burton were talking about.

post #3 of 22 Old February 10th, 2016, 04:15 PM
Enthusiast

i had a buddy who used to race 250cc Kawasaki KX bikes when we were in high school. his parents had a bunch of land so we all rode bikes around in the woods and worked on them in his personal garage that was far off from his parents house. the nice thing was that garage had a living area built in and had a dirt road connecting it to a county road.

i have been wanting to get an enduro for nice weather but i haven't been on one since i tore my left knee up. i just haven't felt like im balanced on two wheels since. hell i still have problems with balancing on a skateboard these days.

'00 v6: sold
'05 v6: crashed
'07 Jeep GC
'88 Mazda RX7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old February 10th, 2016, 04:27 PM
Administrator

nice man, KTM makes some high quality shit. i'd love to have one some day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythm Stick View Post
I haven't ridden a dirt bike in about 12 years or so. I'd love to get back into it. Once I'm financially stable, I'll probably get a motorcycle to ride on the weekends but my wife is totally opposed to the idea.
1) get divorced
2) buy supermoto
3) ???????
4) profit

i hear "my wife doesn't want me to get a motorcycle" way too often. i'd give a big fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you with two middle fingers wiggling around while i do the hokey pokey to anybody that tries to tell me i can't have a motorcycle

it legit rustles my jimmies when i hear people say that. no way in fuck that would fly with me. things like that, and micropenis, are some of the many reasons i won't get married

'65 Fastback
'89 LX 5.0
'90 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'97 Cobra

post #5 of 22 Old February 10th, 2016, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
The Boss is in

Thanks Bubba, this is my first KTM and I really like it. I have ridden Yamaha in the past and decided to give KTM a shot this time.

And Rythm, Problem solved. Buy your wife one too. I had ~$3000 budgeted for a dirtbike awhile back. I had my eye on a 2013 KTM 125 but I decided I'd rather get an older one for half the price and buy my wife a quad. So for less than 3 grand I bought myself a dirt bike and my wife a Yamaha blaster quad. Families that ride together stay together!

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimsonKnight View Post
i had a buddy who used to race 250cc Kawasaki KX bikes when we were in high school. his parents had a bunch of land so we all rode bikes around in the woods and worked on them in his personal garage that was far off from his parents house. the nice thing was that garage had a living area built in and had a dirt road connecting it to a county road.

i have been wanting to get an enduro for nice weather but i haven't been on one since i tore my left knee up. i just haven't felt like im balanced on two wheels since. hell i still have problems with balancing on a skateboard these days.
That's kind of how it was for me but I didn't race or anything. I just rode for fun. And my dads barn unfortunately didn't have a living quarters but wouldn't that be sweet! Now I know what I want when I buy a house in a couple years
post #6 of 22 Old February 10th, 2016, 04:56 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post

1) get divorced
2) buy supermoto
3) ???????
4) profit

i hear "my wife doesn't want me to get a motorcycle" way too often. i'd give a big fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you with two middle fingers wiggling around while i do the hokey pokey to anybody that tries to tell me i can't have a motorcycle

it legit rustles my jimmies when i hear people say that. no way in fuck that would fly with me. things like that, and micropenis, are some of the many reasons i won't get married
BWALs secretly married to Boattlebot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boattlebot View Post
How did this gorilla stuff even get started in a thread about me taking it hard in the ass?
post #7 of 22 Old February 10th, 2016, 05:16 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

I dont really ride but I have a cr125, very similar to yours.

Unfortunately I bent a rod, and took the engine apart a year ago, and am finally starting to put it back together. Replacing all bearings, crank, rod, piston, clutches, etc...

Once its ready Ill start riding it with my dad and brother

2000 Mustang GT vert - Gone
2002 Mustang GT coupe - Sold on 12/20/17
2007 BMW 335i
1994 BMW 328i - Foxbody 5.0 Swap
post #8 of 22 Old February 10th, 2016, 05:20 PM
Powered by LSx tears

Location: Where the rays of light shine through my Shiner Bock bottle

It appears to have too many "strokes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtnstrns View Post
I'll toss that dude's salad

post #9 of 22 Old February 10th, 2016, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
The Boss is in

You prefer the almighty 1 stroke engine do you, Fastback? Lol
post #10 of 22 Old February 10th, 2016, 10:11 PM
Zip's Supervisor

Send a message via AIM to Rhythm Stick Send a message via MSN to Rhythm Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post

1) get divorced
2) buy supermoto
3) ???????
4) profit

Maybe I should have phrased that better. Yes she is opposed to me getting a bike. She was also opposed to me supercharging my car, building a new PC, and buying several guns but all that happened anyway. I'm not going to let her stop me from doing something I enjoy.
BWAL likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
I has the sex with your dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1dmb! View Post
I can't imagine trying to run a man over in a car wash, but this is Burton were talking about.

post #11 of 22 Old February 11th, 2016, 12:42 AM
Enthusiast

I grew up riding dirt bikes. Literally, from the time I was old enough to sit on one, I was riding. Never anything serious, mostly just little Honda 50s, 80s, 100s, 200s, stuff like that. Pretty much completely quit riding when I turned 16 and got a car. Haven't ridden at all since, until......

I started hanging out with some guys around 6 months ago. They all are pretty good riders, and have pretty nice bikes (CRF250x, 400EXC, 400SX, etc.). One of those guys has a pretty big farm, like 150 acres, split roughly 50/50 of horse pastures and woods. They've got tons of trails running all over, and after riding with them for a few hours on a couple Saturday afternoons, I decided I had to get back into it.

So, couple months back, I bought this guy.

2003 XR400R.

It's not the fastest, it doesn't have the best suspension, it's not the most ergonomic. Everything about it screams 'dinosaur'. But it is so much freaking FUN to ride! Almost everything we ride is fairly tight single track stuff through the woods, and the off-idle torque the bike makes is absolutely perfect for that kind of riding.

I've only put a couple hundred miles on it so far, since the weather here has been really crappy all winter long (rain, rain, RAIN). But we're already planing trips to Brown and Brushy Mountain in NC, as well as the Hatfields and McCoys trails up in WV once it dries out and warms up in the spring. Looking forward to it.

-Will

post #12 of 22 Old February 11th, 2016, 09:00 AM
It's not easy being green!

I used to have an 02' YZ250F. Loved that bike... I plan on getting back into it and will upgrade to a 450 probably unless I find a good deal on a 250 again.

Just a bolt on 2V <3
post #13 of 22 Old February 11th, 2016, 09:54 AM
No longer Maching out...

I've had a few of them, I want to get another one soon. I've raced a quad for the last few years and made the stupid decision to sell my 450 a few months ago. Now, I'm depressed...and left with no off-road vehicle...

2003 TR Mach 1 - Sold!

1993 LX Hatch - 331, AFR 195, Comp XE282HR, Holley Systemax, TKO 600, Ridetech Coilovers, Baer brakes, and alot more...budget build
post #14 of 22 Old February 11th, 2016, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
The Boss is in

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky98gt View Post
I grew up riding dirt bikes. Literally, from the time I was old enough to sit on one, I was riding. Never anything serious, mostly just little Honda 50s, 80s, 100s, 200s, stuff like that. Pretty much completely quit riding when I turned 16 and got a car. Haven't ridden at all since, until......

I started hanging out with some guys around 6 months ago. They all are pretty good riders, and have pretty nice bikes (CRF250x, 400EXC, 400SX, etc.). One of those guys has a pretty big farm, like 150 acres, split roughly 50/50 of horse pastures and woods. They've got tons of trails running all over, and after riding with them for a few hours on a couple Saturday afternoons, I decided I had to get back into it.

So, couple months back, I bought this guy.

2003 XR400R.

It's not the fastest, it doesn't have the best suspension, it's not the most ergonomic. Everything about it screams 'dinosaur'. But it is so much freaking FUN to ride! Almost everything we ride is fairly tight single track stuff through the woods, and the off-idle torque the bike makes is absolutely perfect for that kind of riding.

I've only put a couple hundred miles on it so far, since the weather here has been really crappy all winter long (rain, rain, RAIN). But we're already planing trips to Brown and Brushy Mountain in NC, as well as the Hatfields and McCoys trails up in WV once it dries out and warms up in the spring. Looking forward to it.
Nice man! Glad to see you're out there having fun. XRs may not be the prettiest thing on the planet, but those things are the 7.3 power strokes of the bike world. They might not be the fastest, the prettiest or have the best suspension, but they're rock solid bikes that will NEVER die. They will just ride and ride and ride and never leave you stranded. You take care of it and it'll last years. My first ever bike was a 1980 XR 80. It wasn't pretty but it was a beast. Sold it to a guy who probably still rides it lol.

A Honda XR would be the best zombie apocalypse bike ever . It would start and get you from A to B every single time without one single complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComTruise View Post
I used to have an 02' YZ250F. Loved that bike... I plan on getting back into it and will upgrade to a 450 probably unless I find a good deal on a 250 again.
Have you ever ridden a 450? Unless you're racing super cross and are a really good rider, a 450 race bike is a fucking beast. Like so beastly they're IMO not even worth it. They are scary scary fast, and while the power may be more controllable than say a 250 2 stroke race bike, the torque and power is just so insane and comes on in such a way that they aren't ideal trail bikes or pasture riding bikes. Combine that with the extra mass of a 450 and it's a recipe for disaster. They can be tamed a bit by adding fly wheel weight and maybe going up a couple teeth on the rear gear, but they're still beastly bikes not for the faint of heart.

I have no idea of your skill set, you could be a professional rider for all I know, I'm more just talking in general to someone thinking a 250 isn't enough and they need to step up to a 450 race bike like a YZ 450f or CRF450 or something like that. They're fucking beasts and I won't ever own one.

I like 125 2 strokers because of how light and nimble they are. I'm only 160 lbs and not built with muscle by any means, I'm a pretty scrawny dude lol. Maybe it's just my size that doesn't allow me to enjoy a 450. But I've ridden a few and I'd consider myself an lower level intermediate rider. But it takes everything I have and ends up beating the hell out of me after a few hours on one while I just try to keep the front wheel on the ground and throw around that heavy bruiser.
post #15 of 22 Old February 11th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8t6gt View Post
Nice man! Glad to see you're out there having fun. XRs may not be the prettiest thing on the planet, but those things are the 7.3 power strokes of the bike world. They might not be the fastest, the prettiest or have the best suspension, but they're rock solid bikes that will NEVER die. They will just ride and ride and ride and never leave you stranded. You take care of it and it'll last years. My first ever bike was a 1980 XR 80. It wasn't pretty but it was a beast. Sold it to a guy who probably still rides it lol.

A Honda XR would be the best zombie apocalypse bike ever . It would start and get you from A to B every single time without one single complain.
Haha, yup. That's a lot of the reason I bought it. I also grew up on XRs, and generally speaking, we had very few problems. Considering how abusive a 10-15 year old can be on something, I'd say that means a lot. Lol.

It's funny. Those guys that I've been riding with: they were giving me crap about buying an old Honda, and how a KTM or new CRF or whatever would outperform it. Blah blah blah. Well, the very FIRST day that I went out and rode with those guys, the guy with the 400EXC had to push his bike over a mile back to the house because it blew a headgasket. Two weeks later, the other guy with the 400SX missed out on one of the few nice weekends we've had to ride because he was rebuilding his leaking front forks.

Needless to say, I haven't heard much crap from them since, lol.

Quote:
Have you ever ridden a 450? Unless you're racing super cross and are a really good rider, a 450 race bike is a fucking beast. Like so beastly they're IMO not even worth it. They are scary scary fast, and while the power may be more controllable than say a 250 2 stroke race bike, the torque and power is just so insane and comes on in such a way that they aren't ideal trail bikes or pasture riding bikes. Combine that with the extra mass of a 450 and it's a recipe for disaster. They can be tamed a bit by adding fly wheel weight and maybe going up a couple teeth on the rear gear, but they're still beastly bikes not for the faint of heart.

I have no idea of your skill set, you could be a professional rider for all I know, I'm more just talking in general to someone thinking a 250 isn't enough and they need to step up to a 450 race bike like a YZ 450f or CRF450 or something like that. They're fucking beasts and I won't ever own one.

I like 125 2 strokers because of how light and nimble they are. I'm only 160 lbs and not built with muscle by any means, I'm a pretty scrawny dude lol. Maybe it's just my size that doesn't allow me to enjoy a 450. But I've ridden a few and I'd consider myself an lower level intermediate rider. But it takes everything I have and ends up beating the hell out of me after a few hours on one while I just try to keep the front wheel on the ground and throw around that heavy bruiser.
Agreed on all accounts. One of the guys here recently sold his CRF450 for pretty much those exact reasons. On a MX track, they're fantastic. On tight, technical stuff in the woods, or for someone not all that experienced, not so much. It really takes a good rider to actually use those extra 200 cc's. I'd put good money on it that I could ride a 250 through the woods faster than a 450.

-Will

post #16 of 22 Old February 11th, 2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Yes my friend who rode with me had an 03' CRF450R and I loved the power. It is very powerful but it's not hard to control as long as you realize you can't just go full throttle whenever you want and when you do, you have to be very careful The only reason i would stick with a 250 is because Tn is very hilly and where I live it's hard to find a place to use the power of a 450 but when I did get the chance on my friends bike it was like my 250 but on steroids. Loved that thing too. I consider myself an intermediate rider btw

Just a bolt on 2V <3
post #17 of 22 Old February 11th, 2016, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
The Boss is in

You're probably bigger than me too. That was the main thing I don't like about 450s is that they feel bulkier and I'm not strong enough to throw one around all day.
post #18 of 22 Old February 11th, 2016, 04:33 PM

I'm not too big. I'm 5'9, 160 lbs. There was a weight difference but not enough in my opinion for my uses of riding to make a difference. I'll most likely stick with a 250 though just because it's hard to use it where I live.

Just a bolt on 2V <3
post #19 of 22 Old February 11th, 2016, 05:32 PM
FBGM

I got a Suzuki 650 DR if that counts. Pretty similar to a dirt bike but it has all the road legal stuff on it.
BWAL likes this.

Saleen SuperCharged, C500 Side Exhaust, Cervinis Ram Air IV Hood, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Chrome GT500 Replica wheels, GT500 Front Splitter ModBMR 1.25 Lowering Springs, ADJ Panhard Bar, CHE Torque Limiters and K Member Brace
post #20 of 22 Old February 11th, 2016, 06:06 PM
One Man Wolf Pack

Send a message via AIM to 06RedfireGT
Quote:

Agreed. Years ago I had a Yamaha WR450 that I sold. Those 450 dirtbikes are ridiculously powerful and you really have to be careful with the throttle. Living in Florida, I grew tired of trying to ride the trails around here because everything is sugar sand or mud. It was just so much work to ride that it really wasn't worth it so I sold the bike.

If I were to buy another one, it would be a 250.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page