Make your own dirtbike exhaust? Why not! - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old April 28th, 2016, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
The Boss is in

Make your own dirtbike exhaust? Why not!

This guy makes his own custom dirt bike pipe and the results are extremely impressive!

Home made YZ250 expansion chamber - Yamaha 2-Stroke - ThumperTalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old April 28th, 2016, 07:19 AM
RAT FINK

Geezus that looks like a lot of effort...20 ga. is REALLY thin. Well, whatever makes him happy.

Also I've never really understood how those expansion chamber pipes on 2 strokes work.

---------- Post added at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 AM ----------

Geezus that looks like a lot of effort...20 ga. is REALLY thin. Well, whatever makes him happy.

Also I've never really understood how those expansion chamber pipes on 2 strokes work.

2005 Mustang GT
CMS Stage 1 cams, Lito Tune, C&L Racer, CMDP, SR UDP, JBA LT's & catted H, FRPP Touring AB, Koni STR.T, BMR springs, J&M upper/mount, BMR lowers & brackets, J&M pb, Steeda Tri-Ax, Brembos
2009 Ranger XL SCab-4.0, auto, 4WD
post #3 of 7 Old April 28th, 2016, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
The Boss is in

Haha yea. It looks pretty sick though. I dig the look of the welded segmented pipe. There's a company called Scalvini that makes them for a business.
Scalvini Pipes USA

I'm actually not entirely sure either. I fairly sure they create back pressure though and depending on how the back pressure is funneled creates your power and torque curves. 4 strokes don't need an exhaust to do that. Well they need back pressure, but it's not critical to making any sort of power like it is a 2 stroke.

---------- Post added at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

Haha yea. It looks pretty sick though. I dig the look of the welded segmented pipe. There's a company called Scalvini that makes them for a business.
Scalvini Pipes USA

I'm actually not entirely sure either. I fairly sure they create back pressure though and depending on how the back pressure is funneled creates your power and torque curves. 4 strokes don't need an exhaust to do that. Well they need back pressure, but it's not critical to making any sort of power like it is a 2 stroke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old April 28th, 2016, 10:37 AM
sev
Regular

Pretty neat!

This is a good explanation of the expansion chamber and how two stroke exhaust works in general https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_chamber
post #5 of 7 Old April 28th, 2016, 11:33 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8t6gt View Post
Scalvini Pipes USA

---------- Post added at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

Scalvini Pipes USA

You technically never want back pressure in a 4 stroke motor. Back pressure produces inefficiencies in a 4 stroke. I'm not sure where this urban legend came from, but ideally you would have a vacuum in your exhaust to make the most power out of a 4 stroke.

But in a two stroke you want to synchronize the waves or pulses of that pressure with the engine timing, specifically the exhaust cycle. You want to be in the trough of the pressure wave to help evacuated the cylinder. And then you want the crest of the wave to help keep your air/fuel mixture in the cylinder. Tuning the exhaust or dimensions of the chamber, you can control the frequency to whatever RPM band you want the power at.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #6 of 7 Old April 28th, 2016, 12:11 PM
Made in U.S.A.

Insane..
post #7 of 7 Old April 28th, 2016, 04:12 PM
Bo Baustin

Garage
That's a ton of work but it came out well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page