Mustang killer? Possibly. - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old May 5th, 2016, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
I Eat Baby Stangs

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Contour'd
Mustang killer? Possibly.

So, i havent posted a car update since November. Since then, i've done a bit to the car, the biggest being a motor build. 3L block 2.5L ported heads with 3L valves, 11.24:1 compression, headers, custom 1 off set of cam regrinds, and a few other goodies. It's finally coming together after years of waiting and saving. It should be in the car by next weekend.

3lm by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

3lm2 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

3lm3 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

3lm4 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

I have also ditched my 225/45 Hoosier tires for some 245/40 Hankook R-S3s. Oh, and finally ditched the power steering as well. It cleaned up the engine bay a bit and that's now one less thing i have to worry about under the hood when racing.

IMG_7691-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

IMG_7699-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

IMG_7702-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

IMG_7713-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

IMG_7717-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

IMG_7721-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

2016 ASME Car Show by Joshua Effrece, on Flickr
BWAL, Mach Stang!, 1996 GT and 2 others like this.

2000 CSVT
3.0L cammed full bolt on track "Monster"213whp 179wtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old May 5th, 2016, 03:19 PM
The Aviator

Have an idea of what kind of power you are hoping to achieve? Nice progress by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xocolleenox View Post
You're going to get on a giant boat full of girls in bikinis without a girl of your own to keep you from doing whatever you want and people are telling you no?
post #3 of 23 Old May 5th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
Damm, 11.24 compression is insane. I want to hear that when ita done

Mach Stang's 1988 K1500 Build Thread

Quote:
ITS A FUCKING GOPRO CABLE! NOT A FUCKING JDAM

-Rocco
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgpony View Post
All these cameras and they can't see a pissed off Indian guy running around for 15 minutes whipping a propane tank in his hand...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old May 5th, 2016, 04:13 PM
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

While I respect the work done on the car, I can't get TOO excited about a 6 cylinder or a Contour. Call me crazy or dumb but none-the-less, I respect the work. I've been on the forums for a while and I've seen your posts through the year. The work done on the car is respectable and much more than I know.

http://imageshack.com/a/img832/3492/odessadone.jpg

2001 Mustang GT Convertible - Black with Black Top - 5SPD
Bolt On Warrior - Everything done to my car:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...l#post11931130
post #5 of 23 Old May 5th, 2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOdessa View Post
While I respect the work done on the car, I can't get TOO excited about a 6 cylinder or a Contour. Call me crazy or dumb but none-the-less, I respect the work. I've been on the forums for a while and I've seen your posts through the year. The work done on the car is respectable and much more than I know.
I used to be in a similar state of mind about cars like that. Kind of the "it's just a Contour" or "It's just a Taurus" mentality. Then I got my SHO (because I needed a 4 door family car and I didn't want it to be boring) and has changed my mind completely. There's a certain pride in owning a car that's "just a XXXX" that will smoke 95% of the vehicles on the street. But the mentality of it just being a Contour is the same as looking at a Cobra and thinking it's just a V6 Mustang (or looking at an Evo and thinking it's just a Lancer). They share the same body and that's about it.

It certainly is a nitch market and it's not everyone's cup of tea. But the looks I one gets when they smoke a new Mustang, Camaro, or whatever sports car is amazing.

post #6 of 23 Old May 5th, 2016, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
I Eat Baby Stangs

Garage
So, power goals. I'm looking for around 250whp and 220wtq. Any more would be a HUGE bonus. I'm trying to have the first Ford Contour to run 12's, period. Doing it all motor would just be icing on the cake.

MachStang, that compression with a 276 duration cam and a bit more lift than stock is gonna sound kinda weird coming from a V6 LOL!

Odessa, dude, i totally understand ya. I realize that in the car scene, you cant please everyone, or appeal to everyone. I appreciate the kind words though!

SonicBoom, exactly! Having a low 13 or high 12 second Contour isnt something you see every day.
maxgst likes this.

2000 CSVT
post #7 of 23 Old May 5th, 2016, 09:41 PM
Hardcore Devotee

Looking good man. We've missed your posts around here. I've always enjoyed reading about your updates.

2000 GT - Full Bolt-on's

post #8 of 23 Old May 6th, 2016, 12:29 AM
Still slow.

Whats your DCR going to be?

Also, my buddy made I think 250 on his svt contour with less then what you have into it. I wouldn't be surprised to see 260+, Looks good buddy!
post #9 of 23 Old May 6th, 2016, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
I Eat Baby Stangs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl0udedth0ught View Post
Looking good man. We've missed your posts around here. I've always enjoyed reading about your updates.
Thanks man! Between building up the car and having a baby, i've been pretty busy. I mostly only post of FB, but i like to stop in every once in a while to say hi and kinda show what i've done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 GT View Post
Whats your DCR going to be?

Also, my buddy made I think 250 on his svt contour with less then what you have into it. I wouldn't be surprised to see 260+, Looks good buddy!
Well, according to one of those calculators online, 10.87:1, which seems way too high to be right. Well, if that is the case, i better find somewhere to get some race fuel or swap over to E85

2000 CSVT
post #10 of 23 Old May 6th, 2016, 09:16 AM
RAT FINK

Pretty cool, I always like engine builds and the parts/details that go into them.

I have an itch to build an engine, I've only ever built one, a 2.3 Turbo for my old Turbo Coupe way back in 2004. Wish I could afford to build a 3V. Was it expensive to do that V6?

2005 Mustang GT
CMS Stage 1 cams, Lito Tune, C&L Racer, CMDP, SR UDP, JBA LT's & catted H, FRPP Touring AB, Koni STR.T, BMR springs, J&M upper/mount, BMR lowers & brackets, J&M pb, Steeda Tri-Ax, Brembos
2009 Ranger XL SCab-4.0, auto, 4WD
post #11 of 23 Old May 6th, 2016, 05:22 PM
Still slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contour'd View Post
Thanks man! Between building up the car and having a baby, i've been pretty busy. I mostly only post of FB, but i like to stop in every once in a while to say hi and kinda show what i've done.

Well, according to one of those calculators online, 10.87:1, which seems way too high to be right. Well, if that is the case, i better find somewhere to get some race fuel or swap over to E85
Wow thats super high, yeah you'll need e85 for that lol.
post #12 of 23 Old May 6th, 2016, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
I Eat Baby Stangs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghunt View Post
Pretty cool, I always like engine builds and the parts/details that go into them.

I have an itch to build an engine, I've only ever built one, a 2.3 Turbo for my old Turbo Coupe way back in 2004. Wish I could afford to build a 3V. Was it expensive to do that V6?
Well, the cams were expensive, and the tune is gonna be killer because i have to buy an xcal4 when i get it done. Total overall for the build, i'll be looking at a little over 2K including the tune. I'm still running a stock bottom end. Forged internals run about 1700 (rods and pistons), the crank is already forged. If i go that route later one, i'll be having the bottom end balanced and heads re-machined, so that'll probably be another 2500$ project.

Quote:
Wow thats super high, yeah you'll need e85 for that lol.
Ok, so i found a better "calculator" and it's looking more like 8.75:1-9:1, which will keep me running 93 octane, which is where i want to be.

2000 CSVT
post #13 of 23 Old May 6th, 2016, 09:40 PM
MM Fanatic

I like it. I like the "not Mustang" performance cars from Ford. I drive a 97 Thunderbird with a PI swap, 3.73's and some serious suspension tweakage. She's plenty quick, but an absolute dream around corners. The IRS and nice wide tires all around has it glued to the ground.

I think that Contour is pretty sweet, and that motor looks like it'll run like a raped ape.

You'll have to keep us updated, and congrats on the baby too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
woodman: achieving the impossible since 1967. 1973? 1980? 1985? 1976? whatever, you get my point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
ford's advertising slogan was literally "you can pay for all of it today or you can go fuck yourself"
post #14 of 23 Old May 6th, 2016, 11:43 PM
Still slow.

Quote:
Well, the cams were expensive, and the tune is gonna be killer because i have to buy an xcal4 when i get it done. Total overall for the build, i'll be looking at a little over 2K including the tune. I'm still running a stock bottom end. Forged internals run about 1700 (rods and pistons), the crank is already forged. If i go that route later one, i'll be having the bottom end balanced and heads re-machined, so that'll probably be another 2500$ project.

Ok, so i found a better "calculator" and it's looking more like 8.75:1-9:1, which will keep me running 93 octane, which is where i want to be.
Yeah, thats more like it. You'll be fine on 93 with that. I am at 8.33:1 DCR and I run 91 fine.
post #15 of 23 Old May 7th, 2016, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
I Eat Baby Stangs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
I like it. I like the "not Mustang" performance cars from Ford. I drive a 97 Thunderbird with a PI swap, 3.73's and some serious suspension tweakage. She's plenty quick, but an absolute dream around corners. The IRS and nice wide tires all around has it glued to the ground.

I think that Contour is pretty sweet, and that motor looks like it'll run like a raped ape.

You'll have to keep us updated, and congrats on the baby too!
Thanks! The baby has been a blast! As for the car, yes, i love the not your every day performers. That T-bird sounds like a blast! Sounds similar how how i want/have mine. 100% built to handle and a little bit of power to back it up. I run a 4.06 final drive in mine with an LSD, 90% aftermarket/upgraded suspension, massive brakes, etc. As for my motor, i'm trying to get the car to break 12.9's in the 1/4. It's never been done before in one of these cars. TBH, i'd be thrilled with anything in the lower 13s. I'll have some dyno sheets in the next few weeks and some running videos next weekend.

Quote:
Yeah, thats more like it. You'll be fine on 93 with that. I am at 8.33:1 DCR and I run 91 fine.
Haha yea. Some calculators go off of the bare minimum. I'm thinking about possibly getting a race fuel tune for it too, but not sure yet. Time and money will tell.

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 AM ----------

Oh, and tonight, i got the motor completely back together. Here are some glamour shots

IMG_8628-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

IMG_8627-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

IMG_8626-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

IMG_8625-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

IMG_8624-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

IMG_8619-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr
Woodman likes this.

2000 CSVT
post #16 of 23 Old May 7th, 2016, 09:48 AM
Formerly whyxitx

So when's the tempo build coming???
HighDensity likes this.

2017 Nitrous Blue Focus RS
1993 Ford Ranger

1997 Cobra - SOLD

Professional Door Dildo Remover
post #17 of 23 Old May 7th, 2016, 01:13 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Nice. I actually thought about your car a few days ago because I drove an SVT Contour this week

Mustang and a snake, but not a Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal96 View Post
Holy shit. I just assumed it was the porsche, not a fire breathing piece of American badassery.

MM+ Cleavage Club #28
post #18 of 23 Old May 7th, 2016, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
I Eat Baby Stangs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiMyNameIsWyatt View Post
So when's the tempo build coming???
Haha, probably never. If i had the fabrication equipment and a solid body Tempo, this motor and trans would probably be going into it lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDensity View Post
Nice. I actually thought about your car a few days ago because I drove an SVT Contour this week
Awesome! Any particular reason why you were driving one this week?

2000 CSVT
post #19 of 23 Old May 8th, 2016, 07:03 AM
Rent Asunder!

Nice to see it coming together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach Stang! View Post
Damm, 11.24 compression is insane. I want to hear that when ita done
That's actually rather mild compression for a 4v pentroof chambered engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SonicBoom View Post
I used to be in a similar state of mind about cars like that. Kind of the "it's just a Contour" or "It's just a Taurus" mentality. Then I got my SHO (because I needed a 4 door family car and I didn't want it to be boring) and has changed my mind completely. There's a certain pride in owning a car that's "just a XXXX" that will smoke 95% of the vehicles on the street. But the mentality of it just being a Contour is the same as looking at a Cobra and thinking it's just a V6 Mustang (or looking at an Evo and thinking it's just a Lancer). They share the same body and that's about it.

It certainly is a nitch market and it's not everyone's cup of tea. But the looks I one gets when they smoke a new Mustang, Camaro, or whatever sports car is amazing.
This is what I liked about the Focus.

1993 Camaro bracket car
2002 Tahoe family/tow rig
2006 Altima daily
post #20 of 23 Old May 8th, 2016, 10:58 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:

Awesome! Any particular reason why you were driving one this week?
Someone else's car. Long story.

Mustang and a snake, but not a Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal96 View Post
Holy shit. I just assumed it was the porsche, not a fire breathing piece of American badassery.

MM+ Cleavage Club #28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page