So... Anyone have a boat? - Page 2 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 80 Old May 25th, 2016, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN alphadong11

You think mpg on land is bad lol what does a big block get on the water? Maybe 4mpg. Marina gas was expensive as fuck last time I was on a pontoon. I don't even like going that fast on the water. 35 to 40mph is fast enough for me. I've been on a fiberglass pontoon and hit a tree branch in the middle of the fucking lake and the depth finder said it was 20 feet. That will pucker your starfish. Then we couldn't get it started and forgot some random kill switch so we sat for about 30 min until they finally got a hold of him and he had to drive around the lake and yell from a cliff about where the switch was. Good times of horrible cell reception at the lake 17 years ago.

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidhadriel View Post
That's the problem I ran into when I was Pontoon shopping. People were wanting $18k-$20k for their 15 year old abused boats. You can buy a new one for a few grand more with a warranty...But then I ran into a new problem, which was deciding I wanted a few upgrades, and a few more...And then I ended up spending double my budget!
Yerp. That's like me wanting that gps trolling motor. I would love not having to fuck with an anchor, fishing from wherever I want by not using a foot pedal. $1200 trolling motor on a $400 boat.

Quote:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 80 Old May 25th, 2016, 12:37 PM
MM Fanatic

either we dont know how to boat, have terrible luck, or both. every time we would take our boat out wed be cruising along with 30+ feet of water below us them BAM! outta nowhere the depth went to 2feet in the blink of an eye and the prop was throwing a big ass mud rooster tail. i think we replaced 4 propellers in a year. its been parked in the barn for the last 5 years. we just go shore fishing now. cheaper and a lot less frustrating lol.

2002 mustang gt - turbo'd and blown up
1980 mercury zephyr wagon - roller undergoing rust repair
1970 galaxie - 351W cruiser
1978 F150 - 4x4 400M with a few bolt ons
1999 PSD - stock
post #23 of 80 Old May 25th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Powered by LSx tears

Location: Where the rays of light shine through my Shiner Bock bottle

I'd love to get my boat back on the water, but it's been raining for a month solid, and now they're closing all the lakes agin because of flooding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtnstrns View Post
I'll toss that dude's salad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 80 Old May 25th, 2016, 03:41 PM
RAT FINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.gonzo! View Post
You think mpg on land is bad lol what does a big block get on the water? Maybe 4mpg. Marina gas was expensive as fuck last time I was on a pontoon.
Oh I'm well aware. I know the fuel usage of those boats is rated in gallons per hour and it's a fuckin' lot.

I remember years ago I was reading a magazine where they tested three cigarettes, all of which had twin big blocks in them. They held 100 gallons of gas and I think the fuel usage on them was like 40 gallons an hour or something.

It would still be fun, I just probably don't even have enough money to keep one of those things fueled much less buy one. Marina gas is ridiculous. When my grandpa had his boat gas was 99 cents a gallon and gas at the marina was $2.50-$3 a gallon, I don't even know what it isnow.

2005 Mustang GT
CMS Stage 1 cams, Lito Tune, C&L Racer, CMDP, SR UDP, JBA LT's & catted H, FRPP Touring AB, Koni STR.T, BMR springs, J&M upper/mount, BMR lowers & brackets, J&M pb, Steeda Tri-Ax, Brembos
2009 Ranger XL SCab-4.0, auto, 4WD
post #25 of 80 Old May 25th, 2016, 04:29 PM
The Aviator

Craig, that sucks man. I wish it'd rain here more. All we're getting is lousy weather. Not warm, but not freezing and no real moisture.
@ghunt That's why you trailer your boat to a gas station lol
@kyle2002stang! You can't just haul ass in unknown water. It's not like driving, you're no longer on a 2 dimensional plane. Gotta know the shallow spots, or learn them cautiously. I beach my Pontoon, and I always trim the engine up and coast into the sand banks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xocolleenox View Post
You're going to get on a giant boat full of girls in bikinis without a girl of your own to keep you from doing whatever you want and people are telling you no?
post #26 of 80 Old May 25th, 2016, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69fastback View Post
I'd love to get my boat back on the water, but it's been raining for a month solid, and now they're closing all the lakes agin because of flooding.
i hate when there's too much water in the water
dr.gonzo! and Big_Jim like this.

'65 Fastback
'89 LX 5.0
'90 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'97 Cobra

post #27 of 80 Old May 25th, 2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghunt View Post
Oh I'm well aware. I know the fuel usage of those boats is rated in gallons per hour and it's a fuckin' lot.

I remember years ago I was reading a magazine where they tested three cigarettes, all of which had twin big blocks in them. They held 100 gallons of gas and I think the fuel usage on them was like 40 gallons an hour or something.

It would still be fun, I just probably don't even have enough money to keep one of those things fueled much less buy one. Marina gas is ridiculous. When my grandpa had his boat gas was 99 cents a gallon and gas at the marina was $2.50-$3 a gallon, I don't even know what it isnow.
Now there is usually a difference between marina gas and gas from your local station. Marina gas (at least around here) contains no ethanol. For me that's a big deal as ethanol absorbs water and the boat is always on the water. I filled up yesterday and it was $3.50/gallon while the local pumps are $2.40/gallon.

The price increase is usually paying for convenience and ethanol free gas.

post #28 of 80 Old May 26th, 2016, 10:23 AM
RAT FINK

Quote:
@ghunt That's why you trailer your boat to a gas station lol
I thought about that but I thought surely it can't be that easy? But I guess if you're on the lake, or keep the boat at a marina you don't have much choice.

I'm not sure if the marina on the lake near here would have ethanol free gas or not...I'll have to look next time I'm down there. I'd be surprised if they do because almost nobody in this area even carries ethanol free gas.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
i hate when there's too much water in the water
A couple years ago they closed our local reservoir because there was too little water in the water. It was down like 10-15 feet because it rained so little in July and August that year. They were making everyone pull their boats in late August and closed the marina.

2005 Mustang GT
CMS Stage 1 cams, Lito Tune, C&L Racer, CMDP, SR UDP, JBA LT's & catted H, FRPP Touring AB, Koni STR.T, BMR springs, J&M upper/mount, BMR lowers & brackets, J&M pb, Steeda Tri-Ax, Brembos
post #29 of 80 Old May 26th, 2016, 10:40 AM
Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.gonzo! View Post
You think mpg on land is bad lol what does a big block get on the water? Maybe 4mpg.
Due to the nature of how boats travel on water (current, wind, waves, weather affects how far you travel on a gallon of fuel), you don't measure fuel usage for boats in MPG (miles per gallon). You measure it in GPH (gallons per hour).

This is my money pit:

So... Anyone have a boat?-3060.jpg

She's a Regal 3060. 32' overall, 10.5' beam and pushed around by twin 5 liter V8 GM Vortec engines and Volvo outdrives. I believe each engine burns ~12 gallons per hour.

BOAT = break out another thousand

Anything with "boat" or "marine" in the name is 3-4-5 times as much as that exact same item designed for the land.

Two happiest days in a boat owners life: The day he BUYS the boat and the day he SELLS the boat.

roadPilot

- '14 GT Premium Blk/Blk 6R80 Auto, Brembos, leather Recaros, Velgen VMB7 20x9 20x10.5, Nitto NT555G2 255/35R 305/35R, Roush Axle Back round tip, Steeda CAI & Steeda 93 tune, Brembo50 55D rear springs
post #30 of 80 Old May 26th, 2016, 10:57 AM
Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SonicBoom View Post
Now there is usually a difference between marina gas and gas from your local station. Marina gas (at least around here) contains no ethanol. For me that's a big deal as ethanol absorbs water and the boat is always on the water. I filled up yesterday and it was $3.50/gallon while the local pumps are $2.40/gallon.

The price increase is usually paying for convenience and ethanol free gas.
Quote:
I thought about that but I thought surely it can't be that easy? But I guess if you're on the lake, or keep the boat at a marina you don't have much choice.

I'm not sure if the marina on the lake near here would have ethanol free gas or not...I'll have to look next time I'm down there. I'd be surprised if they do because almost nobody in this area even carries ethanol free gas.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

A couple years ago they closed our local reservoir because there was too little water in the water. It was down like 10-15 feet because it rained so little in July and August that year. They were making everyone pull their boats in late August and closed the marina.
For trailer boats, standard unleaded fuels with up to 10% ethanol (e.g., UL87, UL91, UL93) fuel is fine, provided that you burn it. You can't leave it in the tank(s) all summer. Since they are not stored on the water, there is generally less chance of the ethanol absorbing water.

With boats that live @ a marina, you don't want to use unleaded fuels with ethanol. Those boats are on the water all season (here in MI, that's about 6 months, but it's year round for warmer climates) and, as such, should avoid it unless you KNOW you'll be burning & replacing it within a reasonable period of time.

Not only are marine fuels ethanol-free, but they typically have detergents and other additives specifically designed to reduce or eliminate corrosion throughout the fuel system and engine. That's another reason for the higher price point. That said, there is another reason: If your boat lives on the lake and you don't trailer it (e.g., too big), you MUST buy your fuel on the water. Captive audience = higher prices "just because they can" ... :/

roadPilot

- '14 GT Premium Blk/Blk 6R80 Auto, Brembos, leather Recaros, Velgen VMB7 20x9 20x10.5, Nitto NT555G2 255/35R 305/35R, Roush Axle Back round tip, Steeda CAI & Steeda 93 tune, Brembo50 55D rear springs

Last edited by roadpilot; May 27th, 2016 at 03:12 PM.
post #31 of 80 Old May 26th, 2016, 11:03 AM
The Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpilot View Post
If your boat lives on the lake and you don't trailer it (e.g., too big), you MUST buy your fuel on the water. Captive audience = higher prices "just because they can" ... :/
...Or if your boat has a 10'5" beam, then you have no choice!

Another boat expression: The best boat is your friends boat.

Nice Regal. I can't imagine having to service twin volvos. We have a gm/Volvo Penta 5.7 in the Rinker 260 and it's not fun to work on. It is also a CA Emissions motor, so it has a bunch more sensors.

Which is why I'm quite glad that I bought a mercury outboard for my Bentley 'toon.

Quote:
You're going to get on a giant boat full of girls in bikinis without a girl of your own to keep you from doing whatever you want and people are telling you no?
post #32 of 80 Old May 26th, 2016, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN alphadong11

Yeah they just said I can't put a boat in the vacant carport next to my truck because I guess they are worried about "appearance" but a lot of car ports sit un rented. Also there is a couple dirty bobcats that have diesel gas runs down the panels like they were ran without a gas cap in the car ports but yeah "appearances"

Quote:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
post #33 of 80 Old May 26th, 2016, 02:00 PM
RAT FINK

I shouldn't even be posting in this thread, the most experience I have with boats is fishing off my grandpa's boat and occasionally getting to pilot it. And that was more than 15 years ago.

2005 Mustang GT
post #34 of 80 Old May 26th, 2016, 03:55 PM
The soul stealing Ginger

Send a message via Skype™ to dgt_mustang
Thats mine. 18ft Bowrider. it gets the job done. i want a boat with a much shallower draft though, have alot of great fishing spots that i can barely get in, that bass tracker 160 looks great though.... i want to grab two jetskis with a tandem trailer before i get another boat though.

solidhadriel likes this.

Dr.Gonzo! is the Ultimate IT master, the king of tech, The Dong.
The Dong^?? ZIP!!!
post #35 of 80 Old May 26th, 2016, 04:13 PM
The Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgt_mustang View Post
Thats mine. 18ft Bowrider. it gets the job done. i want a boat with a much shallower draft though, have alot of great fishing spots that i can barely get in, that bass tracker 160 looks great though.... i want to grab two jetskis with a tandem trailer before i get another boat though.

That's partially the reason I picked a pontoon (among 2 other large reasons). Can float in about a 1.5ft of water. Nice boat by the way.

I could window shop boats all day long.

I always wanted a jet ski too, but I hear they get kind of boring fast (especially if you don't have a boat)

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Quote:
I shouldn't even be posting in this thread, the most experience I have with boats is fishing off my grandpa's boat and occasionally getting to pilot it. And that was more than 15 years ago.
Sounds like you need to buy a boat!

Quote:
post #36 of 80 Old May 26th, 2016, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
That's partially the reason I picked a pontoon (among 2 other large reasons)

solidhadriel likes this.

'65 Fastback
'89 LX 5.0
'90 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'97 Cobra

post #37 of 80 Old May 26th, 2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:

It would definitely be worth checking out if the gas is ethanol free (my guess is that it is). Here there are literally zero places to buy ethanol free gas for cars. No gas stations offer gas without ethanol. However, the marinas at both lakes are ethanol free.

Last year the water at the lake where we have a house got so low I couldn't get my boats off the lift. Thankfully it rained at the end of the season or I honestly don't know how I would have got them off the lifts for winter (most likely would have winterized in place and covered with boat shrink wrap).

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpilot View Post
For trailer boats, standard E87 fuel is fine, provided that you burn it. You can't leave it in the tank(s) all summer. Since they are not stored on the water, there is generally less chance of the ethanol absorbing water.

With boats that live @ a marina, you don't want to use E87. Those boats are on the water all season (here in MI, that's about 6 months, but it's year round for warmer climates) and, as such, should avoid E87 unless you KNOW you'll be burning & replacing it within a reasonable period of time.

Not only are marine fuels ethanol-free, but they typically have detergents and other additives specifically designed to reduce or eliminate corrosion throughout the fuel system and engine. That's another reason for the higher price point. That said, there is another reason: If your boat lives on the lake and you don't trailer it (e.g., too big), you MUST buy your fuel on the water. Captive audience = higher prices "just because they can" ... :/
I would never run E85 (assuming that's what you mean by E87) in any boats. The potential is just to high for issues. Several years ago my grandpa bought a brand new pontoon boat and ran standard E10 gas from the local gas stations. The second year he had it the engine developed severe issues and it would die and not run. The dealer replaced the engine because just E10 corroded and deteriorated the fuel system that they apparently decided it was cheaper to replace the whole motor vs replace the fuel system. This is a boat that got used regularly and went through a full gas tank about every 2 weeks. He lives on a channel in the lake and stores his boat on a lift but it's not like the gas was sitting in it for any long period of time. This was also on a brand new boat and not an old motor with old fuel system. With the issues I've seen with E10, there is no way I would ever put E85 anywhere near my boats.

Even if your boat never leaves the lake all season, you're still not forced to buy gas from the marina and it's purely convenience (and ethanol free gas). You can always fill 5 gallon tanks with gas and bring them to the boat to fill up. You could also do like my grandpa did and buy a 40 gallon tank that's on wheels. You fill it up at the gas station and then wheel it out to the boat to fill up. Not as convenient but still plenty plausible.

post #38 of 80 Old May 26th, 2016, 07:31 PM
The Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SonicBoom View Post
Several years ago my grandpa bought a brand new pontoon boat and ran standard E10 gas from the local gas stations. The second year he had it the engine developed severe issues and it would die and not run. The dealer replaced the engine because just E10 corroded and deteriorated the fuel system that they apparently decided it was cheaper to replace the whole motor vs replace the fuel system.
That's interesting. This is the first time I've ever heard someone say this about gas station gas and boats. My brother has been filling his Rinker with gas station gas for several years now without problems. And I was planning to do the same with my Pontoon.

I'll have to look into this more. I wonder if it has to do with location and engine quality.

Quote:
post #39 of 80 Old May 26th, 2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
That's interesting. This is the first time I've ever heard someone say this about gas station gas and boats. My brother has been filling his Rinker with gas station gas for several years now without problems. And I was planning to do the same with my Pontoon.

I'll have to look into this more. I wonder if it has to do with location and engine quality.
Take it with a grain of salt and for whatever you think it's worth. But I've rebuilt fuel systems on countless small engines due to the E10 in pump gas eating away at the lines and components. Then seeing that happen to his brand new motor, I've chose to stay away from standard E10 gasoline. I actually buy ethanol free gas from the marina to run through all my weed eaters, lawn mowers, chainsaws, quads, etc. Really, the only thing I run E10 gas through is my vehicles.

post #40 of 80 Old May 26th, 2016, 09:09 PM
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

Garage
Ethanol sucks. Bikes hate the shit and I'm forced to find Sunocos around here and pay for the premium. The Yamaha will just die and sputter and won't even run unless it's ethanol free. Harely can tolerate it sorta? In a pinch it will run but not great. That's my only comment nothing boat related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
boattlebot knows what's up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page