Recommendations for EDC Knife? - Page 2 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old August 8th, 2016, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Made in U.S.A.

I'm thinking Benchmade or Spyderco as of now. I just love the design on the Benchmades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old August 8th, 2016, 12:42 PM
Bo Baustin

Garage
Benchmade makes a really nice knife, or at least they used to.

Heard very good things about Spyderco as well, I don't think you can go wrong with either.
post #23 of 31 Old August 8th, 2016, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Made in U.S.A.

Yeah that's what is holding me back from just going ahead with the Benchmade. If I'm paying that kind of coin and it's not any better or is even worse than it's kind of silly. My Aegis has been my most expensive knife so lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 31 Old August 9th, 2016, 10:11 PM
Will Eat Spam From Your Butt

+1 for Benchmade.

I have my dads old AFO switchblade and I've only ever had to get it resharpened once in the 5-6 years I've owned it.

MM BRONY CLUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by boattlebot View Post
It's good looking and it feels so nice and soft.
post #25 of 31 Old August 10th, 2016, 02:03 PM
One Man Wolf Pack

Send a message via AIM to 06RedfireGT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty View Post
I'm thinking Benchmade or Spyderco as of now. I just love the design on the Benchmades.
Go find a shop that has Spydercos. The PM2 just screams quality. The handle and how smooth the blade is opening and closing just screams quality. I was playing with a couple Benchmades the other day, and while they were their lower end models, the materials felt cheap to me. I would not pay the price that they were asking for them based on what I felt. The Zero Tolerance and higher end Spydercos were much better in my opinion.

Another option is Emerson. I've never had the chance to play with one but have heard nothing but good things.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #26 of 31 Old August 10th, 2016, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FireyGT! View Post
+1 for Benchmade.

I have my dads old AFO switchblade and I've only ever had to get it resharpened once in the 5-6 years I've owned it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06RedfireGT View Post
Go find a shop that has Spydercos. The PM2 just screams quality. The handle and how smooth the blade is opening and closing just screams quality. I was playing with a couple Benchmades the other day, and while they were their lower end models, the materials felt cheap to me. I would not pay the price that they were asking for them based on what I felt. The Zero Tolerance and higher end Spydercos were much better in my opinion.

Another option is Emerson. I've never had the chance to play with one but have heard nothing but good things.
Thanks for the info guys.

I'll have to check them out. The Emerson and Zero Tolerance knives look nice.
post #27 of 31 Old August 10th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I EDC a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 or my Benchmade Griptilian. Both are fantastic knives.

2004 Mustang GT 5-spd
2000 Mustang V6 5-spd - Sold
post #28 of 31 Old August 16th, 2016, 05:49 AM
Procrastinator

I went through a phase where I collected $50-$300 knives and I quit rotating which knife I carry a little over a year ago after I bought a Benchmade 940-1. You get a lot of blade for its size, and its barely noticeable in the pocket. The knife is comfortable in the hand, is light, and the steel holds up well. The only thing I would change on it is the clip, and I did as soon as I found out the clip on my Benchmade barrage would fit. Spyderco knifes are ok, however they do seem to feel cheaper in my hand when compared to my benchmade knifes. However for the money spent I prefer them over cold steel and many comparably priced midrage knifes. I am a big fan of many zero tolerance knifes however for some reason I have had bad luck with fit and finish. If you are looking for a slightly beefier knife with grip for days a zt-350 with the spring removed was once my favorite knife and id recommend it even though I had problems with mine. If you were looking for something between a Benchmade 940 and a zt350, id recommend you try out a spyderco manix 2 xl. It is a cheaper knife but I really don't have any complaints about mine, and it is my favorite among my spyderco knifes.

The most important thing is to actually try these knifes out in hand first. I have ordered knifes online that I thought id like but just couldn't due to how the grip felt, weight distribution, or sometimes they were just crap. After spending a few hundred bucks on knifes I didn't like, I started going to different stores and id spend a few minutes with the knife to make sure I would be ok with it. You might really like a knife, read wonderful reviews, and know there is nothing wrong with it only to find out the opening/closing mechanism is too awkward because it doesn't fit your hand/thumbs right.
post #29 of 31 Old August 16th, 2016, 11:33 AM
the U of A

+1 for benchmade. i carry a mini griptillian and love it.

2011 GT | M6 | Brembo | 3.73 | Sterling Grey Metallic | Bravado Tributes | MPSS | BMR Suspension | MGW Race Spec | Mach 500 + Lightened Flywheel | Lund Tune | Ported Boss IM | Steeda CAI | Jegs Cat Deletes | GT-500s | M50A1 Long Block | MT-82 #2
post #30 of 31 Old August 16th, 2016, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper_88 View Post
I EDC a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 or my Benchmade Griptilian. Both are fantastic knives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickH View Post
I went through a phase where I collected $50-$300 knives and I quit rotating which knife I carry a little over a year ago after I bought a Benchmade 940-1. You get a lot of blade for its size, and its barely noticeable in the pocket. The knife is comfortable in the hand, is light, and the steel holds up well. The only thing I would change on it is the clip, and I did as soon as I found out the clip on my Benchmade barrage would fit. Spyderco knifes are ok, however they do seem to feel cheaper in my hand when compared to my benchmade knifes. However for the money spent I prefer them over cold steel and many comparably priced midrage knifes. I am a big fan of many zero tolerance knifes however for some reason I have had bad luck with fit and finish. If you are looking for a slightly beefier knife with grip for days a zt-350 with the spring removed was once my favorite knife and id recommend it even though I had problems with mine. If you were looking for something between a Benchmade 940 and a zt350, id recommend you try out a spyderco manix 2 xl. It is a cheaper knife but I really don't have any complaints about mine, and it is my favorite among my spyderco knifes.

The most important thing is to actually try these knifes out in hand first. I have ordered knifes online that I thought id like but just couldn't due to how the grip felt, weight distribution, or sometimes they were just crap. After spending a few hundred bucks on knifes I didn't like, I started going to different stores and id spend a few minutes with the knife to make sure I would be ok with it. You might really like a knife, read wonderful reviews, and know there is nothing wrong with it only to find out the opening/closing mechanism is too awkward because it doesn't fit your hand/thumbs right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyboy928 View Post
+1 for benchmade. i carry a mini griptillian and love it.
Thanks for the info guys. I had came to that conclusion that I really need to find a place to get my hands on them. Last night it dawned on me it wouldn't be anything to order from Amazon and return it if I didn't like it. I'm really digging the 940 in OD.
post #31 of 31 Old August 16th, 2016, 04:46 PM
The Boss is in

@JohnC has a Benchmade that is badass and the next EDC knife I will get when I can spend a little more cash on a knife. He shared a picture of it awhile back but I cant remember what thread. If he gets in here before I can find it he will say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page