What kind of smart phone do you have? - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old December 31st, 2016, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Post What kind of smart phone do you have?

Currently I'm using the iPhone 6 Plus and my previous 2 phones were iPhones. Was thinking about getting the iPhone 8 when it comes out, but I'm feeling like it's time for a change.

I haven't compared many modes yet, but one that caught my eye was Google's Pixel XL. Only cons I see atm are that it doesn't have stereo speakers or expandable memory, but that's not a deal breaker.

Anyone have this phone? How do you like it? Anyone have other suggestions for flagship phones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old December 31st, 2016, 08:37 AM
Hardcore Devotee

I have the galaxy S7 and I like it. I hate iphones though so I'm kinda biased.

2000 GT - Full Bolt-on's

post #3 of 31 Old December 31st, 2016, 09:32 AM
MM Fanatic

I had an iPhone 4 for like 3 years or until the Galaxy S5 came out. I've had it since the day it launched. I am waiting to see the iPhone 8, but if I'm not blown away, I will probably go to the S8 or whatever galaxy is out. If the iPhone 8 doesn't have wireless charging like the galaxy, I won't be getting it. I'm tired of buying cables every month. I've bought expensive cables, cheap cables, and they all break within weeks. It would be nice to just lay my phone down on a surface and it will charge.

I don't hate the iphone, I just haven't found a reason good enough to switch back. The Pixel does look good, but I haven't read enough about it yet.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv90/b5hobsons4/2006%20Mustang%20GT/10da490b-40e7-4152-a493-50c169a655b1_zpsed967b1f.jpg
Mac Long Tubes | O/R Prochamber | Bassani Race Axlebacks | Hurst | Bama 93 | 4.10's | K Springs | Koni's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old December 31st, 2016, 09:48 AM
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Enemy View Post
Currently I'm using the iPhone 6 Plus and my previous 2 phones were iPhones. Was thinking about getting the iPhone 8 when it comes out, but I'm feeling like it's time for a change.

I haven't compared many modes yet, but one that caught my eye was Google's Pixel XL. Only cons I see atm are that it doesn't have stereo speakers or expandable memory, but that's not a deal breaker.

Anyone have this phone? How do you like it? Anyone have other suggestions for flagship phones?
I have a Nexus 6p, the "Google" phone that was released before they decided to launch the Pixel brand. It's a great phone, and all the reviews of the Pixel and Pixel XL are also great. My Nexus is the best phone I've had, and the ONLY one for the last 5 years I haven't put a custom Rom on.

I have had my Nexus for a year now, and it still runs like brand new. The Nexus/Pixel phones get the latest Android OS right away, you'll always be current over the conceivable life of the phone. They're "expensive" because you buy them outright (except for Verizon), but they cost about the same as you would pay over time on a regular plan for any other phone like the Iphone or a Galaxy. I paid $700 up front for the Nexus, and an additional $79 for the Nexus Protect so I can get a replacement phone or $79 if I break it (which I've already done when I dropped it onto a rock back in May). Much better than the "phone insurance" from any other carrier that makes you pay $200 or more on your phone.

If you like android, you'll like the Pixel line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
woodman: achieving the impossible since 1967. 1973? 1980? 1985? 1976? whatever, you get my point
Quote:
ford's advertising slogan was literally "you can pay for all of it today or you can go fuck yourself"
post #5 of 31 Old December 31st, 2016, 10:05 AM

I would advise figuring out what you absolutely have to have in a phone and then what else you want in the phone.

For me the two things I absolutely had to have were a removable battery and expandable memory. Just those two requirements drops everything down to a very small handful of phones. I ended up with the LG G5 and love it. I accidentally broke the screen on it once (phone falling from the roof onto concrete, oops) and the phone is easily the easiest to fix things one of any phone I've ever seen. Everything is modular and replaceable.

I would say that if you stick with any flagship Android phone, you'll be happy. Pretty much every flagship phone is going to be good and work fine. Where you start to find slower and glitchy phones is when you start going to the cheap Android phones.

But really, if you like the iPhone and what it does, why change at all? As long as it has the stuff you require in a phone, why change?

post #6 of 31 Old December 31st, 2016, 10:53 AM
PSN alphadong11

Lg g5. Like my mac book, hate the iPhone

Quote:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
post #7 of 31 Old December 31st, 2016, 10:54 AM
Rent Asunder!

Galaxy S7

1993 Camaro bracket car
2002 Tahoe family/tow rig
2006 Altima daily
post #8 of 31 Old December 31st, 2016, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo2stang View Post
I had an iPhone 4 for like 3 years or until the Galaxy S5 came out. I've had it since the day it launched. I am waiting to see the iPhone 8, but if I'm not blown away, I will probably go to the S8 or whatever galaxy is out. If the iPhone 8 doesn't have wireless charging like the galaxy, I won't be getting it. I'm tired of buying cables every month. I've bought expensive cables, cheap cables, and they all break within weeks. It would be nice to just lay my phone down on a surface and it will charge.

I don't hate the iphone, I just haven't found a reason good enough to switch back. The Pixel does look good, but I haven't read enough about it yet.
I actually just bought 4 charging cables because mine would always fail and I would have to go out and buy one right away if I wanted to keep my phone from dying. Rumors say apple is working on long+range wireless charging. Google claims their Pixel phones can give you up to 7 hours of battery life with a 15 minute charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
I have a Nexus 6p, the "Google" phone that was released before they decided to launch the Pixel brand. It's a great phone, and all the reviews of the Pixel and Pixel XL are also great. My Nexus is the best phone I've had, and the ONLY one for the last 5 years I haven't put a custom Rom on.

I have had my Nexus for a year now, and it still runs like brand new. The Nexus/Pixel phones get the latest Android OS right away, you'll always be current over the conceivable life of the phone. They're "expensive" because you buy them outright (except for Verizon), but they cost about the same as you would pay over time on a regular plan for any other phone like the Iphone or a Galaxy. I paid $700 up front for the Nexus, and an additional $79 for the Nexus Protect so I can get a replacement phone or $79 if I break it (which I've already done when I dropped it onto a rock back in May). Much better than the "phone insurance" from any other carrier that makes you pay $200 or more on your phone.

If you like android, you'll like the Pixel line.
The last android I had was almost 8 years ago so I don't know if I'll like it or not. That's a nice protection deal. I had to pay $150 to replace my 6 plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SonicBoom View Post
I would advise figuring out what you absolutely have to have in a phone and then what else you want in the phone.

For me the two things I absolutely had to have were a removable battery and expandable memory. Just those two requirements drops everything down to a very small handful of phones. I ended up with the LG G5 and love it. I accidentally broke the screen on it once (phone falling from the roof onto concrete, oops) and the phone is easily the easiest to fix things one of any phone I've ever seen. Everything is modular and replaceable.

I would say that if you stick with any flagship Android phone, you'll be happy. Pretty much every flagship phone is going to be good and work fine. Where you start to find slower and glitchy phones is when you start going to the cheap Android phones.

But really, if you like the iPhone and what it does, why change at all? As long as it has the stuff you require in a phone, why change?
I'm getting bored with it and want to see if the grass is greener. For me, it's features that i don't like that are swaying me away form apple. Like the headphone jack is on the bottom of the phone. To me thats stupid. Even with the iPhone 8, if I use wired headphones they'll be plugged in at the bottom. I've hated the UI ever since iOS 7. Capacity currently is an issue, but whatever phone I go with will have twice the space I have now (16) so I can't really use that as an excuse. However, the Google Phone has free unlimited photo and video storage which is awesome. Originally expandable memory was a "need", but it's not a deal breaker any more. It also has a better display, bigger pixels, and better battery/charging.

Is it true that you can't send hq videos on androids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.gonzo! View Post
Lg g5. Like my mac book, hate the iPhone
+1 w/ my iMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR View Post
Galaxy S7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl0udedth0ught View Post
I have the galaxy S7 and I like it. I hate iphones though so I'm kinda biased.
I'll look into those as well. Thanks.
post #9 of 31 Old December 31st, 2016, 03:54 PM
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
currently using a Galaxy note 4. was going to get the note 7 before they started exploding. Im holding out for a possible note 8 or something very similar. I want a phone of that size and with a top quality camera, removable battery and expandable storage is a plus. I was looking at getting an off brand phone like the One+3 or what ever it is. dunno tho. I need a phone soon as mine has cracks and has gotten pretty slow (https://oneplus.net/3t)

Mach Stang's 1988 K1500 Build Thread

Quote:
ITS A FUCKING GOPRO CABLE! NOT A FUCKING JDAM

-Rocco
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgpony View Post
All these cameras and they can't see a pissed off Indian guy running around for 15 minutes whipping a propane tank in his hand...
post #10 of 31 Old December 31st, 2016, 04:52 PM
Why not have a Fox?

I have the Droid Turbo 2. I like it. I refuse to own an apple phone.

Clueless College Kids Slow Budget Fox Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8t6gt View Post
Dont even know what you're talking about. But Aladdin was always the Disney character I trusted the most, so go for it.
post #11 of 31 Old December 31st, 2016, 05:03 PM
Not a Rational Car Guy

iPhone 7+, 256GB
Blackwid0wXR7 likes this.

2012 McLaren MP4-12C - Elite Pearl White
2006 Lamborghini Gallardo Coupe - Verde Ithaca
2009 Infiniti G37S Coupe (the daily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDensity View Post
At this point I don't think the Viper is exotic. It is more like a refined American redneck John Deere tractor made by Boeing with turbos.
post #12 of 31 Old January 1st, 2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Can android phones send hq video files through text?
post #13 of 31 Old January 1st, 2017, 05:46 PM

Droid Maxx. My only requirement was a battery I didn't have to charge all the time. 48 hr battery, plus is has wireless charging. Had this phone going on almost 3 years. I've beat the shit out of it too.

Mustang and a snake, but not a Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal96 View Post
Holy shit. I just assumed it was the porsche, not a fire breathing piece of American badassery.

MM+ Cleavage Club #28
post #14 of 31 Old January 1st, 2017, 05:58 PM
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Enemy View Post
Can android phones send hq video files through text?
Unfortunately if you are used to imessage, then you will be dissapointed with android. Unfortunately android uses mss messaging versus Internet data. So no HD videos and usually limited to 1 minute of potatoe 360p quality

Mach Stang's 1988 K1500 Build Thread

Quote:
ITS A FUCKING GOPRO CABLE! NOT A FUCKING JDAM

-Rocco
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgpony View Post
All these cameras and they can't see a pissed off Indian guy running around for 15 minutes whipping a propane tank in his hand...
post #15 of 31 Old January 1st, 2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Well that sucks. Looks like I'll get the 7+ and jailbreak it.
post #16 of 31 Old January 1st, 2017, 09:39 PM
Endangered Species

I have the same as Lefty, iPhone 7 Plus 256Gb. I love it, just an all around great phone. iOS sucks since they changed it a few years back, I hate the lack of color and customization. However, my iPhone can't get viruses, only malware, and it always works and has excellent camera tech. Not having the headphone jack was weird, but a non issue. With some wireless Bose headphones and Bluetooth head units in my cars, I never use the dongle.

TCCoA Member
http://www.fquick.com/Blackwid0wxr7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
Makes sense when you think about... If you have $40 in your wallet and your girlfriend/wife has $5 in hers. How much money does your girlfriend/wife have?

$45. She has $45.
post #17 of 31 Old January 1st, 2017, 09:54 PM
RAT FINK

I've had my Galaxy S5 for 2 years, I'm still very happy with it. I like having a removable battery and upgradeable memory. My wife's family is an all-iphone family, I just don't care for iphones.

The last couple of my wife's phones that she replaced was because they got to the point that the battery was unusable. I feel like you shouldn't have to take a phone to a retail store just to put a new battery in it, but that seems to be the direction that all of them are going.

2005 Mustang GT
CMS Stage 1 cams, Lito Tune, C&L Racer, CMDP, SR UDP, JBA LT's & catted H, FRPP Touring AB, Koni STR.T, BMR springs, J&M upper/mount, BMR lowers & brackets, J&M pb, Steeda Tri-Ax, Brembos
2009 Ranger XL SCab-4.0, auto, 4WD
post #18 of 31 Old January 2nd, 2017, 02:49 AM
Pawsitively sexy

Been an android user since I got my first smartphone (the HTC Incredible back in 2010).

I stuck to HTC until the Galaxy Nexus (google phone by Samsung) came out. Went to the Note line after that until I bought the Pixel XL at launch.

It's an awesome phone. Expandable storage was an issue for me with all of my pictures, but the free unlimited storage fixed that issue. The camera is amazing. The fact that I know I'll be getting android updates right away is another big plus. My one major complaint with android is how slow manufacturers are to get updates out with their special overlays (Sense, Touchwiz, etc...). This phone solves that for me.

2012 CTS-V

Not stock

post #19 of 31 Old January 2nd, 2017, 09:34 AM
MM Fanatic

Iphones are not immune to viruses, but they are slightly harder to get because of how tightly controlled their app delivery is.

Android lets you load any damn thing you want, but you just have to not be a moron. If you want a pay only game, and you try to get the free "fake" version, you could be downloading a virus. If you download the package file from a third party source, it may be a virus. Be smart enough not to do it. You won't just "get" a virus on an android phone, you have to try really hard to get one.
1C2 likes this.

Quote:
woodman: achieving the impossible since 1967. 1973? 1980? 1985? 1976? whatever, you get my point
Quote:
ford's advertising slogan was literally "you can pay for all of it today or you can go fuck yourself"
post #20 of 31 Old January 2nd, 2017, 10:02 AM