Question for tech gurus. GPS tracking... - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodman
  • 1 Post By 03SonicBoom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old February 10th, 2017, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

Question for tech gurus. GPS tracking...

Hey guys. So recently my company has been starting to GPS track us guys in the field and we have been trying to fight back. Yesterday I was on my laptop on a mobile WiFi device by Sprint and they tracked my location somehow. Location services are off on my phone. My truck does not have a GPS locator installed. Could they have tracked my location via the wifi device that I have? Or could my laptop have some kind of GPS tracking on it? Or can my phone for work be tracked even though location devices are off since my company owns the phone? Everything is through Sprint. It is driving me wild trying to figure out how they track me. I was doing my job but the point of big brother is driving me nuts. If my laptop is tracked can the use of a vpn cover me even though I'm running off a mobile wifi device?

I need to use my laptop on the go but my company doesn't want me using it inside business hours as I'm supposed to be visiting customers. The thing is sometimes customers need documents asap and I need to get on my laptop to do it.

I'm thinking of running wifi off my personal phone and using my personal laptop for work, but if it comes to that I might as well find a new job. Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old February 10th, 2017, 12:55 PM
PSN alphadong11

If the WiFi card is through a cell carrier they can track you pretty close with triangulation between 3 or more cell towers. Laptops like my MacBook have gps, some others might as well, depends on how much control your co has on the laptop if they can track you even though you're on vpn. Some software will also request location. I know firefox is always asking me when I visit websites like tmobile. Anything cell tower related they can get pretty close.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

You say sprint wifi so is that an LTE/wimax or does it just say wifi?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-F...tioning_system
If wifi

Quote:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
post #3 of 8 Old February 10th, 2017, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.gonzo! View Post
If the WiFi card is through a cell carrier they can track you pretty close with triangulation between 3 or more cell towers. Laptops like my MacBook have gps, some others might as well, depends on how much control your co has on the laptop if they can track you even though you're on vpn. Some software will also request location. I know firefox is always asking me when I visit websites like tmobile. Anything cell tower related they can get pretty close.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

You say sprint wifi so is that an LTE/wimax or does it just say wifi?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-F...tioning_system
If wifi
They knew exactly where I was like pinpoint location.

I'll have to look at this hot spot closer. It's a spring pocketwifi by ZTE. 306ZT. Could they have used that to pin point me?

I feel like it was my wifi hot spot that got me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old February 10th, 2017, 02:24 PM
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOdessa View Post
They knew exactly where I was like pinpoint location.

I'll have to look at this hot spot closer. It's a spring pocketwifi by ZTE. 306ZT. Could they have used that to pin point me?

I feel like it was my wifi hot spot that got me

Yes, anything with a radio can be used to triangulate your position. Your hot spot, your cell, etc.

The question is, why are they tracking, and why are you against it?
I'm all for not having the company know where I am at any given time, but if you're out and about for your duties, they should be able to know where you're at and that you're not slacking off.
A few years ago I had an assistant IT tech who would disappear for hours at a time and come back red eyed. I enabled the tracking on his company issued phone, and saw he was on the beach. Went there cameras rolling, caught him toking up. He was fired on the spot.
HighDensity likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
woodman: achieving the impossible since 1967. 1973? 1980? 1985? 1976? whatever, you get my point
Quote:
ford's advertising slogan was literally "you can pay for all of it today or you can go fuck yourself"
post #5 of 8 Old February 10th, 2017, 02:24 PM
PSN alphadong11

That looks to be LTE. Here's some fun bathroom reading.

http://www.rohde-schwarz-wireless.co...hdeSchwarz.pdf

Quote:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
post #6 of 8 Old February 11th, 2017, 04:07 AM
Pawsitively sexy

I'm a little confused here...

They supply you a company laptop yet don't want you using it inside business hours?

2012 CTS-V

Not stock

post #7 of 8 Old February 11th, 2017, 09:25 AM
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixpointslow View Post
I'm a little confused here...

They supply you a company laptop yet don't want you using it inside business hours?
I think he's more concerned with them tracking his physical location at all times.

For example, my work provides me a cell phone, and I use it for business purposes. Because all phones have the capability to track you, my company could, if they wanted, use it to find my location at any given time if the phone is on me. I have to have the phone when I'm on call, and durin the work day, but other than that, it's not really any of their business where I am. It's a little disconcerting to know you're being monitored so closely, but on company hours, that's what they're paying you for, so I don't have an issue with it, but I wouldn't want them tracking me on my personal time, and the only way to do that is to power off the device.

Quote:
woodman: achieving the impossible since 1967. 1973? 1980? 1985? 1976? whatever, you get my point
Quote:
ford's advertising slogan was literally "you can pay for all of it today or you can go fuck yourself"
post #8 of 8 Old February 11th, 2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
I think he's more concerned with them tracking his physical location at all times.

For example, my work provides me a cell phone, and I use it for business purposes. Because all phones have the capability to track you, my company could, if they wanted, use it to find my location at any given time if the phone is on me. I have to have the phone when I'm on call, and durin the work day, but other than that, it's not really any of their business where I am. It's a little disconcerting to know you're being monitored so closely, but on company hours, that's what they're paying you for, so I don't have an issue with it, but I wouldn't want them tracking me on my personal time, and the only way to do that is to power off the device.
It's really not that hard to stop. I have a phone for work also and don't want them tracking me. So I carry the phone around when I'm required. When I'm not required I leave the phone at home. Phone's are not tracking devices to people, they are only tracking devices to the phone. If the phone's not on you then it doesn't track your location.

So when you're on the clock or on call you carry the company phone around. When you're on your personal time you leave the company phone at home. The problem a lot of people have with that idea is they also use their company provided phone as their personal phone. In that case, it's part of that choice to not have your own phone.
Woodman likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page