Verizon customers, please step inside - Page 2 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 45 Old February 20th, 2017, 11:40 AM
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 511
         
iTrader: 0 reviews
I have a pre-paid Verizon plan, that (IIRC) is unlimited text / talk, and 2 GB of data per month (I'm not the type of person that's glued to my phone 24/7 using 20 gigs a month or whatever, so 2 gigs is a plenty for me). The advertised price is $45, and I'm paying right at $48. So $3 worth of taxes, fees, and surcharges (don't remember the exact breakdown, but I think most of it is taxes). So for a simple plan like that, the additional price is minimal. I think where they get you is with multiple lines, and when you are buying a phone from them (I've got an old I-phone that's almost 5 years old now, still works great, though they tried their damnedest to get me to buy a new one when I switched to pre-paid).

As for service, people can say what they want, but Verizon is king. I laugh hard at all the advertising their competitors are doing touting how their network is "almost as good" as Verizon's, when it's not even close. Sure, there may be some areas that someone else has a better signal, but as a whole, Verizon blows them out of the water. I've had Sprint and AT&T work phones, and man were they a joke compared to Verizon. I've also got friends who have some of the other providers (T-mobile, US Cellular), and they too absolutely do not get the kind of universal good coverage I get with Verizon.

-Will


sneaky98gt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 45 Old February 20th, 2017, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
impecunious
 
Royal96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,412
           
iTrader: 0 reviews
Okay, new question: Can someone explain what the deal is with the "line access fee"? I keep seeing it referenced at $20 a month per line, but $40 if you own your own phone (which makes no damn sense). Sprint doesn't have anything like this (or at least my plan doesn't) so I don't know what to expect here. If It's $35 a month (for the 2 gb plan) + $40 line access fee for buying a phone outright, that's ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
No, I'm not doing an sbf swap.
Royal96 is offline  
post #23 of 45 Old February 24th, 2017, 09:02 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast
 
Lemkau77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NE
Posts: 1,153
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
I have Verizon, and we just switched to their unlimited plan. It is awesome! I was able to add their internet with a mobile hotspot for $20 a month. I am going to get rid of my Windstream internet and save over $40 a month! I have always had Verizon, and have no complaints!

Your Ford is built to eat asphalt and clear its pipes with compacts - Summit Racing
Lemkau77 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 45 Old February 25th, 2017, 02:56 AM
Pawsitively sexy
 
Sixpointslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lower Sussex, DE
Posts: 10,564
                   
iTrader: 0 reviews
I pay $3.43 in "surcharges" and $1.92 in "government fees and taxes" per bill. I have the 12+2gb per line plan with two lines.

---------- Post added at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal96 View Post
Okay, new question: Can someone explain what the deal is with the "line access fee"? I keep seeing it referenced at $20 a month per line, but $40 if you own your own phone (which makes no damn sense). Sprint doesn't have anything like this (or at least my plan doesn't) so I don't know what to expect here. If It's $35 a month (for the 2 gb plan) + $40 line access fee for buying a phone outright, that's ridiculous.
The $40 line fee is for anyone who is still on a contract from buying a subsidized phone. If you buy your phone outright, you should only be charged $20 per Verizon's FAQ.


2012 CTS-V

Not stock


Sixpointslow is offline  
post #25 of 45 Old February 25th, 2017, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
impecunious
 
Royal96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,412
           
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixpointslow View Post
I pay $3.43 in "surcharges" and $1.92 in "government fees and taxes" per bill. I have the 12+2gb per line plan with two lines.

---------- Post added at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 AM ----------



The $40 line fee is for anyone who is still on a contract from buying a subsidized phone. If you buy your phone outright, you should only be charged $20 per Verizon's FAQ.

That's a bit confusing but still good to know. Though I don't understand that $20 fee at all. Verizon is the only one I have heard of that seems to have that additional charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
No, I'm not doing an sbf swap.
Royal96 is offline  
post #26 of 45 Old February 25th, 2017, 12:06 PM
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: TX
Posts: 73
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
I had Tmobile, Sprint, AT&T, Tmobile again and I just switched to Verizon since they got the unlimited plan.

I first switched to tmobile because it was unlimited and cheaper then my AT&T 20G shared plan. Then I added a tablet but Had to get a data plan of at least 6G to be able to use binge on. Which online it says a minimum of 3G data plan is required for binge on but they only sell 2G then go straight to 6G!!! So I caved because I stream at lunch and on my breaks at work. There was spots where I would have good service like the parking lot. But once I got into my work area and my break room area, It was struggling. No service in my office and maybe 2 bars in the break room since it was on the 2nd floor. Then my house was the same! Barely any service. I had an iphone 5 and my wife has a 7 and she actually got decent service but still slow. We cancelled our internet and used our hotspot. We both went over about 35G a month on each phone. The only good thing is Tmobile will lend you a signal booster for as long as your with them. So I got one for the house and it did make it a little better but it would drop calls a lot more.

Now with verizon, I have FULL bars at home with 4G LTE and at work im getting just as much. Im extremely impressed. They also offer 15% discount for VETS and Active military I THINK is 25%. There does seem to be more surcharge fees with Verizon but I would expect that since their coverage is a lot better. Tmobile was like 3 bucks compared to verizons 11-15.

2001 Mustang GT - Airaid CAI, Accel Super Coils, UPR O/R X-pipe, Super 44 Flowmasters, BAMA Tune, Powerstop Rotor/Brakes,SR Short Throw Shifter.
rickhdz36 is offline  
post #27 of 45 Old February 25th, 2017, 08:54 PM
Moderator
 
03SonicBoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 10,592
                     
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimsonKnight View Post
I was a long time Verizon user. got tired of their game for trying to make people upgrade to smart phones and left them for straight talk. the sad thing is I now use an Android smart phones on their $45/month plan while it uses Verizon signal.....beats paying $90~$100 for the equivalent plan. I was looking at a pre-pay Verizon plan that says if you buy your phone and your card for $50(5gigs of data, unlimited talk/txt) from walmart you get a bonus 2 gigs of data a month. then again the phone I could afford looks to be on par with mine and it works fine. I barely go over 4 gigs of data and that's me using it a lot for streaming music off Pandora.
Right now there's no reason to have a plan that costs $100/month on Verizon unless you have multiple lines or are paying monthly for the phone. For a single line you can get on their current unlimited plan and it's about $90 after everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal96 View Post
That's a bit confusing but still good to know. Though I don't understand that $20 fee at all. Verizon is the only one I have heard of that seems to have that additional charge.
Verizon has their plans set up so you pay for the plan and that's shared to all phones on the plan. Then to add phones you simply pay line access fees. My wife and I share the 12GB plan and that's $68/month (after our 15% discount). Then I pay $20/line in access fees ($40 total). If they didn't charge any line access fees you could keep adding phones and not pay anything. So if I want to add a 3rd line then I only pay $20.

I don't know how other companies do it but I'm sure they have a way to get their money when you add lines. It might be a line fee or another fee for a data plan. But I'm sure they're getting money somewhere.

To answer your original question I pay $8 in taxes/fees on a bill with the base cost of $108/month.

*EDIT* I just looked on AT&T and they also charge a $20/line access fee so it's not just a Verizon thing.

03SonicBoom is offline  
post #28 of 45 Old February 26th, 2017, 01:59 AM
Pawsitively sexy
 
Sixpointslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lower Sussex, DE
Posts: 10,564
                   
iTrader: 0 reviews
I'd jump to the "unlimited" plan if it wasn't for the discount I get on the 12+2 plan. I assume sooner or later they'll start discounting the "unlimited" plan as well.

2012 CTS-V

Not stock


Sixpointslow is offline  
post #29 of 45 Old February 26th, 2017, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
impecunious
 
Royal96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,412
           
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SonicBoom View Post
Right now there's no reason to have a plan that costs $100/month on Verizon unless you have multiple lines or are paying monthly for the phone. For a single line you can get on their current unlimited plan and it's about $90 after everything.


Verizon has their plans set up so you pay for the plan and that's shared to all phones on the plan. Then to add phones you simply pay line access fees. My wife and I share the 12GB plan and that's $68/month (after our 15% discount). Then I pay $20/line in access fees ($40 total). If they didn't charge any line access fees you could keep adding phones and not pay anything. So if I want to add a 3rd line then I only pay $20.

I don't know how other companies do it but I'm sure they have a way to get their money when you add lines. It might be a line fee or another fee for a data plan. But I'm sure they're getting money somewhere.

To answer your original question I pay $8 in taxes/fees on a bill with the base cost of $108/month.

*EDIT* I just looked on AT&T and they also charge a $20/line access fee so it's not just a Verizon thing.
I guess the part Im confused about is, as a single person on a 1 line plan, why do I pay that fee then? It makes sense for multiple phones (It would make sense if you paid no additional fee for the first phone, and a 20 dollar fee for each additional).

Sprints prices change per line the more lines you add. So for example (not real prices, Im not feeling that motivated tonight) a plan may cost a single user such as myself 50/month, and then for two phones it bumps to 80/month (making it 40/month/line), 3 phones may be 105/month (so 35/month/line) etc.

The overall price may or may not end up the same, but it's a little offputting that they advertise a plan for 35/month and then put "plus monthly access fee" in the fine print. Sprint and Tmobile at least are fairly upfront with their advertised prices.

Edit: It's also completely possible that Verizon/ATT don't charge the access fee for the first phone. I haven't actually figured that out yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
No, I'm not doing an sbf swap.
Royal96 is offline  
post #30 of 45 Old February 26th, 2017, 10:15 AM
Moderator
 
03SonicBoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 10,592
                     
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal96 View Post
I guess the part Im confused about is, as a single person on a 1 line plan, why do I pay that fee then? It makes sense for multiple phones (It would make sense if you paid no additional fee for the first phone, and a 20 dollar fee for each additional).

Sprints prices change per line the more lines you add. So for example (not real prices, Im not feeling that motivated tonight) a plan may cost a single user such as myself 50/month, and then for two phones it bumps to 80/month (making it 40/month/line), 3 phones may be 105/month (so 35/month/line) etc.

The overall price may or may not end up the same, but it's a little offputting that they advertise a plan for 35/month and then put "plus monthly access fee" in the fine print. Sprint and Tmobile at least are fairly upfront with their advertised prices.

Edit: It's also completely possible that Verizon/ATT don't charge the access fee for the first phone. I haven't actually figured that out yet.
My guess is that it's for convenience of billing. If every phone gets a line access fee, it's a one size fits all billing item. Essentially, they have streamlined their accounting department so all they have to do is "check boxes" to get a final price. It makes it easier than saying $XX for the first, $XX for the second, and $XX for the 3rd. Instead it's easier to say you pay $XX for data and then a $20/line access fee.

The other alternative is for them to change the prices based on per line. Instead of saying $40 data + $20 fee they could say $60 for the first line, $80 for 2 line ($40/line), and $100 for 3 lines ($33/line). Ultimately it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Either way the price per line goes down the more lines you add. It's just easier for billing if they can streamline it.

AT&T and Verizon do charge line access fee for the first line.

*EDIT* I also just jumped on Sprint's website to see their pricing. Once under the wireless plan shopping the second thing I see on the page, "A monthly access charge for each phone line covers your device's connection to Sprint's network." Maybe you didn't notice it on your bill or maybe you were grandfathered into a different plan. But it's right there on the front page that they also charge line access fees. I'm beginning to think the normal is charging line access fees.

03SonicBoom is offline  
post #31 of 45 Old February 26th, 2017, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
impecunious
 
Royal96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,412
           
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SonicBoom View Post
My guess is that it's for convenience of billing. If every phone gets a line access fee, it's a one size fits all billing item. Essentially, they have streamlined their accounting department so all they have to do is "check boxes" to get a final price. It makes it easier than saying $XX for the first, $XX for the second, and $XX for the 3rd. Instead it's easier to say you pay $XX for data and then a $20/line access fee.

The other alternative is for them to change the prices based on per line. Instead of saying $40 data + $20 fee they could say $60 for the first line, $80 for 2 line ($40/line), and $100 for 3 lines ($33/line). Ultimately it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Either way the price per line goes down the more lines you add. It's just easier for billing if they can streamline it.

AT&T and Verizon do charge line access fee for the first line.

*EDIT* I also just jumped on Sprint's website to see their pricing. Once under the wireless plan shopping the second thing I see on the page, "A monthly access charge for each phone line covers your device's connection to Sprint's network." Maybe you didn't notice it on your bill or maybe you were grandfathered into a different plan. But it's right there on the front page that they also charge line access fees. I'm beginning to think the normal is charging line access fees.
I just checked my bill, and nothing about an access fee. It isn't even that old of a plan, maybe 3 years.

But you're right, they do have that on there, so maybe it's recent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
No, I'm not doing an sbf swap.
Royal96 is offline  
post #32 of 45 Old February 26th, 2017, 08:49 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 22,811
                     
iTrader: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixpointslow View Post
I'd jump to the "unlimited" plan if it wasn't for the discount I get on the 12+2 plan. I assume sooner or later they'll start discounting the "unlimited" plan as well.
Guy I work with went into the verizon store and they still gave him his employee discount on unlimited.

I'm still grandfathered into the old unlimited plan. I never upgraded my phone once they started requiring you to change plans. I used 55gb in December
BA Mustang is offline  
post #33 of 45 Old February 26th, 2017, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
impecunious
 
Royal96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,412
           
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky98gt View Post
I have a pre-paid Verizon plan, that (IIRC) is unlimited text / talk, and 2 GB of data per month (I'm not the type of person that's glued to my phone 24/7 using 20 gigs a month or whatever, so 2 gigs is a plenty for me). The advertised price is $45, and I'm paying right at $48. So $3 worth of taxes, fees, and surcharges (don't remember the exact breakdown, but I think most of it is taxes). So for a simple plan like that, the additional price is minimal. I think where they get you is with multiple lines, and when you are buying a phone from them (I've got an old I-phone that's almost 5 years old now, still works great, though they tried their damnedest to get me to buy a new one when I switched to pre-paid).

As for service, people can say what they want, but Verizon is king. I laugh hard at all the advertising their competitors are doing touting how their network is "almost as good" as Verizon's, when it's not even close. Sure, there may be some areas that someone else has a better signal, but as a whole, Verizon blows them out of the water. I've had Sprint and AT&T work phones, and man were they a joke compared to Verizon. I've also got friends who have some of the other providers (T-mobile, US Cellular), and they too absolutely do not get the kind of universal good coverage I get with Verizon.
So I'm looking at the prepaid plans which don't have the access fee, but I'm a little concerned because people say the prepaid coverage isn't as good. You have no complaints?

Does anyone else have prepaid verizon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
No, I'm not doing an sbf swap.
Royal96 is offline  
post #34 of 45 Old February 26th, 2017, 10:00 PM
PSN alphadong11
 
dr.gonzo!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: OP KS
Posts: 28,924
Blog Entries: 1
                     
iTrader: 0 reviews

Quote:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
dr.gonzo! is online now  
post #35 of 45 Old February 26th, 2017, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
impecunious
 
Royal96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,412
           
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.gonzo! View Post
I... what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
No, I'm not doing an sbf swap.
Royal96 is offline  
post #36 of 45 Old February 26th, 2017, 10:58 PM
PSN alphadong11
 
dr.gonzo!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: OP KS
Posts: 28,924
Blog Entries: 1
                     
iTrader: 0 reviews
Pick one.


Quote:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
dr.gonzo! is online now  
post #37 of 45 Old February 26th, 2017, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
impecunious
 
Royal96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 7,412
           
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.gonzo! View Post
Pick one.

I'm still in the middle of settling a dispute with Sprint, and when I switch depends on their response. So I have some time to choose, just looking into what is the best balance between reliable and cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
No, I'm not doing an sbf swap.
Royal96 is offline  
post #38 of 45 Old February 26th, 2017, 11:10 PM
PSN alphadong11
 
dr.gonzo!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: OP KS
Posts: 28,924
Blog Entries: 1
                     
iTrader: 0 reviews

Quote:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
dr.gonzo! is online now  
post #39 of 45 Old February 26th, 2017, 11:19 PM
Moderator
 
03SonicBoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 10,592
                     
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Mustang View Post
Guy I work with went into the verizon store and they still gave him his employee discount on unlimited.

I'm still grandfathered into the old unlimited plan. I never upgraded my phone once they started requiring you to change plans. I used 55gb in December
If you switch to their new unlimited plan you will save a TON of money. My good buddy was still on the old Verizon unlimited plan. He was paying for the data, unlimited text messaging (yeah, you paid for that back then), and multiple fees for keeping the unlimited. He switched to the new unlimited and is saving a bunch of money.

03SonicBoom is offline  
post #40 of 45 Old February 27th, 2017, 02:27 AM
Pawsitively sexy
 
Sixpointslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lower Sussex, DE
Posts: 10,564
                   
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SonicBoom View Post
If you switch to their new unlimited plan you will save a TON of money. My good buddy was still on the old Verizon unlimited plan. He was paying for the data, unlimited text messaging (yeah, you paid for that back then), and multiple fees for keeping the unlimited. He switched to the new unlimited and is saving a bunch of money.
It's worth it to some to keep the old plan, given that the new one isn't actually unlimited.

2012 CTS-V

Not stock


Sixpointslow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome