School me on air compressors - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mach Stang!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old April 5th, 2017, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Formerly whyxitx

School me on air compressors

Long time no see everybody. How are things?

I'm looking to get an air compressor here shortly. Nothing too terribly fancy but eventually i want to get air tools and to start spraying paint.

Harbor freight has a few different sizes, but wasn't sure how the quality was because.. well... harbor freight is hit or miss on some items.

1997 Cobra - 4.10s , UPR x pipe , Magnapacks, Maximum Motorsports K Member, A Arms, C/C Plates, LCAs and Coil Overs. S/S Brake lines. Needs put together.
2006 Ninja ZX-6R
2004 Subaru Forester XT - STI Goodies.
Professional Door Dildo Remover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old April 5th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Bo Baustin

Garage
Corey would know better than most on here about painting with one.

I can't really speak for HF but there are a lot of people who buy HF stuff with the 3 year warranty and replace them at the end of the warranty.
post #3 of 10 Old April 5th, 2017, 04:51 PM
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
They go BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR PSSSSSssst.
dr.gonzo! and paulyboy928 like this.

Mach Stang's 1988 K1500 Build Thread

Quote:
ITS A FUCKING GOPRO CABLE! NOT A FUCKING JDAM

-Rocco
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgpony View Post
All these cameras and they can't see a pissed off Indian guy running around for 15 minutes whipping a propane tank in his hand...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old April 6th, 2017, 09:39 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Two types, reciprocating pump which is the most common and a screw type like the Whipple on my car. You need to look at your needs. Basically how much pressure you want and what kind of capacity you need. Flow makes a difference too. Look at the tools you want to use and what their needs are. Most air tools will say they need x amount of pressure at x amount of CFM for sustained operation. I have a 20 something gallon tank which is decent capacity for me but I wish I would have gone another 25 psi up to 150. The DIY garage where I rent lift time has 150 psi in their lines and it does make a difference. For painting you will need less pressure and more capacity. You will also need some kind of air drier.

As far a China Freight stuff I have two of theirs that I've had for years. My first one had the on off switch go out but that was an easy fix, and my current one runs fine. You can see it in the corner in my other Harbor Freight thread. Like I said I wish I had gone with the 150 psi model instead, but it has never let me down. I got them from there because of price and the amount of hours that I use it. I wouldn't necessarily get them for an industrial application where constant use is an issue. but for my garage and the few hours I actually use it, I just couldn't see spending a ton on one.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #5 of 10 Old April 7th, 2017, 06:18 PM
Hardcore Devotee

Glad to read this. I'm starting to look into air compressors myself... It gets pretty annoying not having one

2000 GT - Full Bolt-on's

post #6 of 10 Old April 7th, 2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl0udedth0ught View Post
Glad to read this. I'm starting to look into air compressors myself... It gets pretty annoying not having one
Dude, it's money well spent. Air tools help so much it's not even a debate for me. After you get one you will be like why the hell did I wait so long.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #7 of 10 Old April 7th, 2017, 09:33 PM

I like my kobalt 60 gallon, but I wish it was a little bigger. Mine is also 220v compared to your smaller compressors that run on your standard 110v out of the wall socket.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-60-G...ressor/3370356
post #8 of 10 Old April 9th, 2017, 10:06 AM
Enthusiast

as I get my garage cleaned up from the move i was looking into getting a cheap HF air compressor for now. with the way you guys discuss it let me ask you guys this. would this be a good one for small painting projects and work to help on cars? I already have 1/2" and 3/4" socket sets and a couple of nice cheater bars for when I find something stuck but I was going to look into getting some air tools to help me. outside of that maybe air up tires would be the most use it gets.

26 gal. 1.8 HP 150 PSI Oilless Air Compressor

'00 v6: sold
'05 v6: crashed
'07 Jeep GC
'88 Mazda RX7
post #9 of 10 Old April 9th, 2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimsonKnight View Post
as I get my garage cleaned up from the move i was looking into getting a cheap HF air compressor for now. with the way you guys discuss it let me ask you guys this. would this be a good one for small painting projects and work to help on cars? I already have 1/2" and 3/4" socket sets and a couple of nice cheater bars for when I find something stuck but I was going to look into getting some air tools to help me. outside of that maybe air up tires would be the most use it gets.

26 gal. 1.8 HP 150 PSI Oilless Air Compressor
It would be enough to power some air tools and spray guns.
post #10 of 10 Old April 13th, 2017, 12:04 AM
MM Fanatic

Look for more than 4-6cfm. Try to atleast double that. You may not always get the full cfm rating from a compressor. So ive heard. But 4-6 isnt much to begin with.

I use an older Campbell Hausfeld 60 gallon. Made in the USA.

5hp
single stage
11.8cfm @ 40psi
9.4cfm @ 90psi
125psi max
230v 1 phase

Sometimes space and cost is a factor, but the bigger, the better. You can never have too much air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page