...comin' straight from the underground! - Page 2 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 30Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 49 Old June 14th, 2017, 09:06 AM
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 460
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
That's terrible that you went through that man. Somebody are bored with their life and he probably felt insecure about guys the same age doing far better than them. You should really file a complaint with whatever department he is with. It may fall on deaf ears, but I'm a firm believer in "if you aren't a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem."

Having been in the military where the same form of training is used, they are absolutely trained that every civilian is a "possible" threat. Critical thinking skills aren't a requirement for the job. I'm not trying to discredit or take anything away from our boys in blue or any service members, but it is definitely not the best and the brightest applying for these jobs. I have some buddies that are cops where I live and as much as I love them, I got a box of bulbs that are brighter than they are. And don't even get me started with the IQ level of the military.

In the grand scheme of things, I'm glad you got off with just a warning and it didn't end up being worse. Good job on keeping your composure. It isn't easy to handle stress like that.

And that's an awesome van by the way!


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Brandon08GT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 49 Old June 14th, 2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
missippi roolz
 
socialist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,146
         
iTrader: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
those go for $27k?
Yeah, it's fucking weird. I would never spend that kind of money on one (my friend that was co-pilot and I discussed this along the way trying to figure out what we would pay, neither of us agreed anywhere near that amount) but apparently they have this weird cult following with this ridiculous perceived value but it's only for a certain model year range (like post 1986). There's some all wheel drive version that can go for like 2-3x more than that. Pretty ridiculous. But hey, people pay like $20k for a rusted out 1967 Mustang Fastback so who am I to judge?

---------- Post added at 07:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon08GT View Post
That's terrible that you went through that man. Somebody are bored with their life and he probably felt insecure about guys the same age doing far better than them. You should really file a complaint with whatever department he is with. It may fall on deaf ears, but I'm a firm believer in "if you aren't a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem."

Having been in the military where the same form of training is used, they are absolutely trained that every civilian is a "possible" threat. Critical thinking skills aren't a requirement for the job. I'm not trying to discredit or take anything away from our boys in blue or any service members, but it is definitely not the best and the brightest applying for these jobs. I have some buddies that are cops where I live and as much as I love them, I got a box of bulbs that are brighter than they are. And don't even get me started with the IQ level of the military.

In the grand scheme of things, I'm glad you got off with just a warning and it didn't end up being worse. Good job on keeping your composure. It isn't easy to handle stress like that.

And that's an awesome van by the way!


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Oh boy, I don't want to go down that road since I know we have officers on this forum and I've got police officers in my family, but the apparent lack of critical thinking skills and active efforts towards not using common sense in favor of blind assumption of guilt seems to be a common theme during interaction with police in a lot of these cases.

And yes, the van, although overpriced (whatever, I'm not the one who bought it lol) is pretty sweet. It's hideous, underpowered, and uncomfortable as fuck to drive, but it's got everything you need to live on the road: propane stove, propane/battery/electric plug operated refrigerator, running water with a fairly large reservoir, tons of cabinets, two tabletops, and two sleeping areas. It was quite a trip driving it across the country. Now that I'm back in my 4Runner, it feels like I'm driving a fucking high performance Mercedes compared to that damn van haha.

A young man was following Him, wearing nothing but a linen sheet over his naked body; and they seized him. But he pulled free of the linen sheet and escaped naked. (Mark 14:51-52)
socialist is offline  
post #23 of 49 Old June 14th, 2017, 12:46 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
foxfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MARS
Posts: 7,462
                   
iTrader: 0 reviews
Troopers are a different animal than Town/City cops. They tend to be more hard nose and will jack you up because they most likely won't see you again. We have good Troopers locally in my area.

Narcotics dogs are certified and CAN hit on tiny amounts of drug, like Marijuana shake that could be in the door pocket or carpet. I have seen that happen many many times. The van was just purchased, the previous owner could have been clam baking in it on a regular basis.

2.5 hours is WAY beyond the scope of the stop.

As far as cops being stupid and being mad because guys are doing BETTER than them.....It's all in recruitment. As far as the financially weak situation cops are in......75-125k a year, mint insurance, life insurance, supplemental 457 plans, and a 3-5k/month pension for life at 45.....sounds ok to me.
socialist likes this.
foxfive is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 49 Old June 14th, 2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
missippi roolz
 
socialist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,146
         
iTrader: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfive View Post
Troopers are a different animal than Town/City cops. They tend to be more hard nose and will jack you up because they most likely won't see you again. We have good Troopers locally in my area.

Narcotics dogs are certified and CAN hit on tiny amounts of drug, like Marijuana shake that could be in the door pocket or carpet. I have seen that happen many many times. The van was just purchased, the previous owner could have been clam baking in it on a regular basis.

2.5 hours is WAY beyond the scope of the stop.

As far as cops being stupid and being mad because guys are doing BETTER than them.....It's all in recruitment. As far as the financially weak situation cops are in......75-125k a year, mint insurance, life insurance, supplemental 457 plans, and a 3-5k/month pension for life at 45.....sounds ok to me.
Yeah for sure. And like I said, any run-ins with officers before this have been super low-key and from other sources I've heard/read, Texas State Troopers tend to lean towards the asshole-side compared to most departments in the state.

Mostly speculation, but this dude couldn't have been older than 27 (since he told me his 10 year reunion was coming up) so he's obviously not a long-time veteran of the force and for all I know, wanted to have it on his record that he busted a couple of cocky, frat-bro looking dudes bringing pot from Colorado back to their buddies in Texas or something; all characteristics that we are not. But he seemed to imply he grew up around Lubbock so he probably just profiled us as your typical over-confident city slicker that can get away with whatever they want. But yeah, after all the lines of questioning, maybe it's worth it to just back off on that idea.

And yeah, unfortunately it's a 30 year old van used by more "outdoorsy, hippy" types. That still doesn't make any of the people down the line driving or owning it criminals. So what do you do about that? I have no idea. But trying to figure out if you can toss a couple of upstanding guys with pretty bright futures into jail just for shits and giggles seems to not be very productive.

A young man was following Him, wearing nothing but a linen sheet over his naked body; and they seized him. But he pulled free of the linen sheet and escaped naked. (Mark 14:51-52)
socialist is offline  
post #25 of 49 Old June 14th, 2017, 01:09 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
foxfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MARS
Posts: 7,462
                   
iTrader: 0 reviews
As far as a dog indicating on Narcotics, check your local laws, but in my area when a dog hits on a car the officer can make a few decisions. #1 Search Warrant #2 Consent Search(You Can Decline) #3 Let you continue on. Sounds like the Trooper should have chosen #3 in your case.

The odor of burnt marijuana isn't enough for more than a Consent Search around here. You would have to articulate fresh unburned marijuana. As far as other drugs, meth pipes, baggies etc aid in PC.

The fact of the matter is most cops ARE trying to get drugs off the road. There are cops overdosing/dying from just touching or inhaling certain synthetic heroin on searches. Seems like a big price to pay for a pinch.
foxfive is offline  
post #26 of 49 Old June 14th, 2017, 01:14 PM
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: TX
Posts: 73
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Im from Texas and Ill say Texas Troopers are one of the baddest cops out there. As in training and just standard of being in law enforcement. They are also one of the lowest paid of the states law enforcement.

I think just like the military some of the badassness goes to their head and they want to be the best or be number 1. Maybe that was this guy. Trying to get his record stop or has never had a "bad stop." Only think this because he did not apologize (seems self indulged.)

I have had my run-ins with about every law enforcement officer where I reside lol Probably not the best driving record lol But it is nothing wild. Ive had some assholes and I will say I was an asshole (young and in the army) but only because I felt like I was not in the wrong. I learned quickly that with respect to them it comes in return and it got easier. BUT there was still cops who were assholes and pulled me over with a infraction that was obviously a last minute find as they walked up to my car.

But my interactions with Troopers as always been great. I think either because of my military ID or NOW that I carry my Conceal Carry License with me. (I am usually speeding) They always let me off with a warning and "Have a good day and slow down." The one time I got to talk to a trooper who pulled over to turn his lights on while I was changing a flat tire. Ive changed many flat tires and this Guy has been the only one who has done that for me. Well to me it was chit chat but maybe he was trying to get info out of me but I was to busying trying to change this tire. Well I asked what area he patrols and he told me about 200 miles of this part of the highway, Him and another officer who usually go opposite ways and meet for lunch in the middle. I was like damn! must get pretty boring, "nah not really, People love to speed." But 200 miles of west TEXAS is EFFIN boring to me and maybe this guy was bored, either he wanted to kill some time or actually had a hutch. I am sorry for your interaction from him and from someone who is from Texas it sucks to leave another state with a bad taste in your mouth.

Sorry so long but just wanted to give me .02 on something I know well being pulled over a lot lol Maybe not the best to be an expert in but if it helps. I will always treat a cop with respect and courtesy because at the end of the day we just want to go home.

2001 Mustang GT - Airaid CAI, Accel Super Coils, UPR O/R X-pipe, Super 44 Flowmasters, BAMA Tune, Powerstop Rotor/Brakes,SR Short Throw Shifter.
rickhdz36 is offline  
post #27 of 49 Old June 14th, 2017, 01:22 PM
MM Fanatic
 
Woodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 4,562
               
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brtnstrns View Post
Yeah, I definitely have no doubts that the dogs are properly trained for detection. But as you said, it's easy as shit for them to do literally nothing, tell someone that doesn't know any better (i.e. me) that they signaled an alert, and then use that to do whatever the hell they want.

Now, as stated, I don't know what the signals are but I read a bit and it seems to be standard that they have to give 2 out of 2 signals, one out of two isn't enough. This dog was literally sprinted up and down the passenger side of the vehicle no more than three times, quickly hopped his front feet on the one door handle when the handler pointed to it, hopped down, hopped his front feet on the second door handle when the handler pointed him to it and then was sprinted back to the K9 vehicle. It took no more than 30 seconds and he was only taken up and down the passenger side of the vehicle. He was not brought around the perimeter of the vehicle and never went slower than a full sprint. That seemed suspicious to me.

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

In case y'all wanted to see the sexy bitch - how 'bout dat #vanlife

Yeah, it's bullshit.

Not 100% sure how I'd have handled it. Probably about the same as you. I know this is armchair quarterbacking, but knowing what the officer is up to, I'd like to think I'd have been direct with him.

When he asks about searching...
"Look man, I was driving below the speed limit due to the cross winds here. I have been nothing but cooperative with you. My story checks out, my friend and I aren't lying to you, we're honest, respectable people, just having a nice little camping adventure and delivering a van for a friend. The headlights suck on this thing, and we're trying to get where we're going to stop before dark. You and I both know there's no drugs in there, my career depends on me being drug free. I'm nervous as hell because I'm in the middle of nowhere Texas in the seat of a police cruiser. Obviously you don't see me as a threat because I'm up front with you, not in the back. So I know I can't stop you from using the K9 to "alert" giving you an excuse to dig through the van, but why don't we both save each other some time and just send me on my way with the warning for the temporary tag and we can both have a nice day?"

But, again that's me thinking on it for a few days, can't say I'd have been able to get that out in the car, or that it would have helped.
Nasty and socialist like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
woodman: achieving the impossible since 1967. 1973? 1980? 1985? 1976? whatever, you get my point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
ford's advertising slogan was literally "you can pay for all of it today or you can go fuck yourself"
Woodman is offline  
post #28 of 49 Old June 14th, 2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
missippi roolz
 
socialist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,146
         
iTrader: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfive View Post
As far as a dog indicating on Narcotics, check your local laws, but in my area when a dog hits on a car the officer can make a few decisions. #1 Search Warrant #2 Consent Search(You Can Decline) #3 Let you continue on. Sounds like the Trooper should have chosen #3 in your case.

The odor of burnt marijuana isn't enough for more than a Consent Search around here. You would have to articulate fresh unburned marijuana. As far as other drugs, meth pipes, baggies etc aid in PC.

The fact of the matter is most cops ARE trying to get drugs off the road. There are cops overdosing/dying from just touching or inhaling certain synthetic heroin on searches. Seems like a big price to pay for a pinch.
Yeah, it just sucks since, unless the person being pulled over is also law enforcement or a lawyer or otherwise familiar with K9 unit behavior, you have no idea what is supposed to happen or what the consequences are for denying a search, etc.

And yeah, with fentanyl going around, I don't doubt how dangerous the drug searching has become.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhdz36 View Post
Im from Texas and Ill say Texas Troopers are one of the baddest cops out there. As in training and just standard of being in law enforcement. They are also one of the lowest paid of the states law enforcement.

I think just like the military some of the badassness goes to their head and they want to be the best or be number 1. Maybe that was this guy. Trying to get his record stop or has never had a "bad stop." Only think this because he did not apologize (seems self indulged.)

I have had my run-ins with about every law enforcement officer where I reside lol Probably not the best driving record lol But it is nothing wild. Ive had some assholes and I will say I was an asshole (young and in the army) but only because I felt like I was not in the wrong. I learned quickly that with respect to them it comes in return and it got easier. BUT there was still cops who were assholes and pulled me over with a infraction that was obviously a last minute find as they walked up to my car.

But my interactions with Troopers as always been great. I think either because of my military ID or NOW that I carry my Conceal Carry License with me. (I am usually speeding) They always let me off with a warning and "Have a good day and slow down." The one time I got to talk to a trooper who pulled over to turn his lights on while I was changing a flat tire. Ive changed many flat tires and this Guy has been the only one who has done that for me. Well to me it was chit chat but maybe he was trying to get info out of me but I was to busying trying to change this tire. Well I asked what area he patrols and he told me about 200 miles of this part of the highway, Him and another officer who usually go opposite ways and meet for lunch in the middle. I was like damn! must get pretty boring, "nah not really, People love to speed." But 200 miles of west TEXAS is EFFIN boring to me and maybe this guy was bored, either he wanted to kill some time or actually had a hutch. I am sorry for your interaction from him and from someone who is from Texas it sucks to leave another state with a bad taste in your mouth.

Sorry so long but just wanted to give me .02 on something I know well being pulled over a lot lol Maybe not the best to be an expert in but if it helps. I will always treat a cop with respect and courtesy because at the end of the day we just want to go home.
Oh, I'm a born and bred Texan, buddy! I spent the first 27 years of my life in the state and lived in every major metropolitan area at some point or another.

And as you can see from my responses, I was super respectful and patient with the officers and I always am (granted, it could be assumed I'm full of shit and my friend and I were actually dicks the whole time since this is just "one side of the story", but all I've got is my word and I'm being truthful in regards to how the events played out here). This experience won't change how I treat police officers in the future, but it doesn't help my nerves and suspicion of being potentially screwed over for no reason in the future.

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
Yeah, it's bullshit.

Not 100% sure how I'd have handled it. Probably about the same as you. I know this is armchair quarterbacking, but knowing what the officer is up to, I'd like to think I'd have been direct with him.

When he asks about searching...
"Look man, I was driving below the speed limit due to the cross winds here. I have been nothing but cooperative with you. My story checks out, my friend and I aren't lying to you, we're honest, respectable people, just having a nice little camping adventure and delivering a van for a friend. The headlights suck on this thing, and we're trying to get where we're going to stop before dark. You and I both know there's no drugs in there, my career depends on me being drug free. I'm nervous as hell because I'm in the middle of nowhere Texas in the seat of a police cruiser. Obviously you don't see me as a threat because I'm up front with you, not in the back. So I know I can't stop you from using the K9 to "alert" giving you an excuse to dig through the van, but why don't we both save each other some time and just send me on my way with the warning for the temporary tag and we can both have a nice day?"

But, again that's me thinking on it for a few days, can't say I'd have been able to get that out in the car, or that it would have helped.
LOL! See, that's why I wish I was more confident and witty in unexpected face-to-face interactions. Instead I would have stuttered and stumbled through the whole speech and probably come off as even more suspicious and then gotten whacked across the face with a maglite (just kidding). If it was my friend driving, it probably would have played out like that because he's much more level-headed in stressful situations. That's why I feel like the officer was giving me the impression that he was happy the more nervous guy was driving.

That's why I put so much effort into my written communication, because I blow at verbal communication, especially with people I don't know and in standard stressful situations.

But yeah, that's another reason I was nervous because I was worried my friend was gonna be pissed about wasting so much of our time but he was understanding and knew that I was going to be tripping out (we've been friends for like 15+ years - he was my best man at my wedding) and knew that this was just a lose-lose situation. I'm just a pretty bad worrier (as can be seen from this ordeal haha)

A young man was following Him, wearing nothing but a linen sheet over his naked body; and they seized him. But he pulled free of the linen sheet and escaped naked. (Mark 14:51-52)
socialist is offline  
post #29 of 49 Old June 14th, 2017, 02:52 PM
Administrator
 
BWAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Clothes Hamper
Posts: 33,161
Blog Entries: 2
                     
iTrader: 4 reviews
that is a sweet van though. i'll keep an eye out for it next time i'm watching burning man videos on youtube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
"Look man, I was driving below the speed limit due to the cross winds here. I have been nothing but cooperative with you. My story checks out, my friend and I aren't lying to you, we're honest, respectable people, just having a nice little camping adventure and delivering a van for a friend. The headlights suck on this thing, and we're trying to get where we're going to stop before dark. You and I both know there's no drugs in there, my career depends on me being drug free. I'm nervous as hell because I'm in the middle of nowhere Texas in the seat of a police cruiser. Obviously you don't see me as a threat because I'm up front with you, not in the back. So I know I can't stop you from using the K9 to "alert" giving you an excuse to dig through the van, but why don't we both save each other some time and just send me on my way with the warning for the temporary tag and we can both have a nice day?"
i just printed this out to keep in my glove box. i'm going to pull it out and recite it word for word if i ever get pulled over for any reason
Woodman and socialist like this.

'65 Fastback
'89 LX 5.0
'90 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'97 Cobra

BWAL is offline  
post #30 of 49 Old June 14th, 2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
missippi roolz
 
socialist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,146
         
iTrader: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
that is a sweet van though. i'll keep an eye out for it next time i'm watching burning man videos on youtube
LOL!

Oh god, I know I'm going to regret this but...

Look at these fucking thugs, exactly the type to smuggle heroin down through Texas! (I'm the one on the left). If you're wondering if we're secret gay lovers and if we named the van the "Shaggin' Wagon", well, I'll just leave that up to your imagination

BWAL and foxfive like this.

A young man was following Him, wearing nothing but a linen sheet over his naked body; and they seized him. But he pulled free of the linen sheet and escaped naked. (Mark 14:51-52)
socialist is offline  
post #31 of 49 Old June 14th, 2017, 03:12 PM
MM Fanatic
 
Woodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 4,562
               
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
that is a sweet van though. i'll keep an eye out for it next time i'm watching burning man videos on youtube



i just printed this out to keep in my glove box. i'm going to pull it out and recite it word for word if i ever get pulled over for any reason
If you're going to do that, dress like this...


In all seriousness, I've talked my way through some shit I never should have by just being the most confident badass in the room. Back in the 90's I got a baseball hat that said staff and a "staff" badge from a friend of mine who was working backstage at a playhouse. I walked backstage in a Blues Traveler concert with that and no one even looked twice at me. Got to hang with the band. That same friend worked OzFest back in 96 or 97, and since i was in Ohio at the time I met him at the Pittsburgh, PA show. He had to pass out paychecks to the various bands, and didn't want to give Marilyn Manson's their check because he was scared of them. So I did it for him, ended up spending most of the night playing poker with them and winning the shit out of it because I wasn't plastered.

I understand it's not "easy" to exude self confidence, but if you can fake it till you make it, it can really improve how you're perceived. Here at my job, my boss and all the owners called me into the owner's meeting to grill me on setting up a small scale ISP based on a fiber optic backbone. I've never, ever tried to do that before, but I've worked in the industry long enough to know the basics of what I'd need. So, I said sure. If we can get the fiber backbone and get them to provide us static addressing, I can run it to the building we tap it into. Then, to spread it out I can use switches that I can connect fiber patch cords to and those can go up to a mile and a half in distance, so we can run fiber links to the neighboring buildings, and put a switch in each one and feed them all off the one pipe.

They were somewhat amazed, but within a week of them lighting up our fiber trunk I had two clients on a tightly throttled 50/50 pipe with no major issues. I lost a little sleep trying to make sure I could make it work, but the thing I was mostly concerned with was running cable from the parking garage up to the 12th floor. Once I found a good chase to do it, piece of cake.

So yeah, fake it till you make it with the confidence. Exude it so that they have to take you seriously and it'll take you far. Do what I do, keep telling yourself that you're the biggest bad ass in the room, so you can handle it.
BWAL, socialist and Big_Jim like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
woodman: achieving the impossible since 1967. 1973? 1980? 1985? 1976? whatever, you get my point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
ford's advertising slogan was literally "you can pay for all of it today or you can go fuck yourself"
Woodman is offline  
post #32 of 49 Old June 14th, 2017, 04:50 PM
Made in U.S.A.
 
Nasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,435
                     
iTrader: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfive View Post
As far as cops being stupid and being mad because guys are doing BETTER than them.....It's all in recruitment. As far as the financially weak situation cops are in......75-125k a year, mint insurance, life insurance, supplemental 457 plans, and a 3-5k/month pension for life at 45.....sounds ok to me.
We don't have income tax in Florida but our troopers get paid horribly. They have lost nearly half of the troopers... We used to have 1800+ and now we are down to a little less than a thousand...
Nasty is offline  
post #33 of 49 Old June 14th, 2017, 05:46 PM
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 460
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty View Post
We don't have income tax in Florida but our troopers get paid horribly. They have lost nearly half of the troopers... We used to have 1800+ and now we are down to a little less than a thousand...

That's what I was basing my understanding of law enforcement payment off of. Troopers and local PD seem to not get paid very well. A lot of the local boys here in Jax that don't have 15 years under their belts usually live in the lesser income areas.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Brandon08GT is offline  
post #34 of 49 Old June 14th, 2017, 07:10 PM
Made in U.S.A.
 
Nasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,435
                     
iTrader: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon08GT View Post
That's what I was basing my understanding of law enforcement payment off of. Troopers and local PD seem to not get paid very well. A lot of the local boys here in Jax that don't have 15 years under their belts usually live in the lesser income areas.
Yup, everyone at FHP is either considering leaving, already left, or retired. I mean seriously how does the active trooper number get cut by almost 50%...

That's a serious retention issues and not the holster kind.
Nasty is offline  
post #35 of 49 Old June 14th, 2017, 07:33 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
foxfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MARS
Posts: 7,462
                   
iTrader: 0 reviews
Our recruitment has dropped significantly. Hard to find good candidates. When this happens many places will settle for what they get. We will stay short staffed rather than settle for second best.
foxfive is offline  
post #36 of 49 Old June 14th, 2017, 07:36 PM
Made in U.S.A.
 
Nasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,435
                     
iTrader: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfive View Post
Our recruitment has dropped significantly. Hard to find good candidates. When this happens many places will settle for what they get. We will stay short staffed rather than settle for second best.
Public sentiment towards LE certainly doesn't help recruitment either.
foxfive likes this.
Nasty is offline  
post #37 of 49 Old June 14th, 2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
missippi roolz
 
socialist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,146
         
iTrader: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty View Post
Public sentiment towards LE certainly doesn't help recruitment either.
That's an issue in Seattle as well. Negative public opinion + less pay than surrounding areas = lack of police presence and increase in property crime, etc. There's some serious morons here that call for defunding of the police force but luckily it seems they're just a larger-than-most-other-cities minority. From what I know, Seattle PD had a pretty shit-tastic track record in the past but they've seemed to turn that around but people still hold onto the idea that they only exist to step on the necks of the poor and minorities. As stated elsewhere, I'm pretty left-leaning socially but I try to view individual cases critically - some people in this city take the cake in actual SJW-idiocy though.

A young man was following Him, wearing nothing but a linen sheet over his naked body; and they seized him. But he pulled free of the linen sheet and escaped naked. (Mark 14:51-52)
socialist is offline  
post #38 of 49 Old June 14th, 2017, 11:02 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: La grange, KY
Posts: 6,139
             
iTrader: 2 reviews
I guess ill throw in my two cents here, for what its worth. The trooper had a hunch, and it was wrong. He probably has made a bunch of busts the same way with others and was wrong about you.

Had you denied search and denied a k9 you would have likely been on your way. You agreed to let k9 search but didnt know if there would be any consequence. It took forever. My guess is you couldve asked him if you were free to go and he would have said yes. Obviously you didnt know that or you wouldve been gone. Of course hes gonna wait you out because he suspected you were carrying. Not trying to be an a hole, its just how the situation panned out.

As far as dogs indicating, we had a narcotics/tobacco/cell phone dog at the prison i used to work at. It hit for tobacco on every employee who used tobacco, myself included, because i had copenhagen residue in my pocket from where i threw the can in my pocket on the way out the door. It could literally hit on tobacco that was like two or three flakes worth of cigarette tobacco or dip. It hit so frequently on inmates or their property for tobacco it became an annoyance it was even trained for it. Dogs can hit on incredibly small quantities of what theyre trained to detect. Thinking about it though, the average heroin user normally has maybe a point or two on them. Possibility is the dog hit on some shake that had been there before. Not sure about local regulations but dogs here had to be certified to be used.

If youre in this situation again, and hopefully not, politely ask if you are free to leave. If you are, you can go. If they say no youre being detained.

Sorry if i am seeming short winded or like an a hole, im on my wifes ipad and a long response is a PITA lol.
socialist likes this.

Procharged 2000 5 Speed BAB GT, built motor, blower cams, 10 lbs, lee blankenship tune 430/405

HARDCORE CREW

BRIGHT ATLANTIC BLUE CREW #1 MEMBER
mustanginky is offline  
post #39 of 49 Old June 15th, 2017, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
missippi roolz
 
socialist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,146
         
iTrader: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanginky View Post
I guess ill throw in my two cents here, for what its worth. The trooper had a hunch, and it was wrong. He probably has made a bunch of busts the same way with others and was wrong about you.

Had you denied search and denied a k9 you would have likely been on your way. You agreed to let k9 search but didnt know if there would be any consequence. It took forever. My guess is you couldve asked him if you were free to go and he would have said yes. Obviously you didnt know that or you wouldve been gone. Of course hes gonna wait you out because he suspected you were carrying. Not trying to be an a hole, its just how the situation panned out.

As far as dogs indicating, we had a narcotics/tobacco/cell phone dog at the prison i used to work at. It hit for tobacco on every employee who used tobacco, myself included, because i had copenhagen residue in my pocket from where i threw the can in my pocket on the way out the door. It could literally hit on tobacco that was like two or three flakes worth of cigarette tobacco or dip. It hit so frequently on inmates or their property for tobacco it became an annoyance it was even trained for it. Dogs can hit on incredibly small quantities of what theyre trained to detect. Thinking about it though, the average heroin user normally has maybe a point or two on them. Possibility is the dog hit on some shake that had been there before. Not sure about local regulations but dogs here had to be certified to be used.

If youre in this situation again, and hopefully not, politely ask if you are free to leave. If you are, you can go. If they say no youre being detained.

Sorry if i am seeming short winded or like an a hole, im on my wifes ipad and a long response is a PITA lol.
Not at all. This was a standard case of me not knowing exactly what my rights and options were because I have no reason to know those kinds of things and being scared of what the consequences are of invoking those rights/options, especially as someone with a sparking clear record and career prospects that hinge on that record. I just feel that that lack of understanding was taken advantage of but I'm more than happy to learn how I should approach it should I ever find myself in that situation again. However, I also feel like there was a lot of inappropriate things said and done for indeterminate reasons on the officer's part. Things that have no relevancy to anything, unfortunately I have trouble NOT being honest and/or being confrontational so I just responded to his questions as I would if anyone were asking me them. In hindsight however, it was easy for me to see that he was simply trying to let me spout off as much information as possible in order to give him anything worth using should he need to.

Since I was headed back to my home town I was hoping to speak to my brother-in-law about it since he's local PD, but he was out of town for some kind of training the night I got in. Plan to talk to him about it whenever I'm back.

A young man was following Him, wearing nothing but a linen sheet over his naked body; and they seized him. But he pulled free of the linen sheet and escaped naked. (Mark 14:51-52)
socialist is offline  
post #40 of 49 Old June 15th, 2017, 01:16 AM
PSN alphadong11
 
dr.gonzo!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: OP KS
Posts: 28,843
Blog Entries: 1
                     
iTrader: 0 reviews
Slick move Candy Man

600 pounds of meth lollipops seized in Texas - CNN.com
socialist likes this.

Quote:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
dr.gonzo! is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/clubhouse/623082-comin-straight-underground.html
Posted By For Type Date
...comin' straight from the underground! - Forums at Modded Mustangs This thread Refback June 13th, 2017 05:50 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome