Products Swaps - Page 15 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #281 of 752 Old February 19th, 2013, 12:03 PM
I'm, Ron Burgundy?

Exactly. You don't know because you have never used one, correct? Go get yourself a rotary then get back with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 752 Old February 19th, 2013, 12:08 PM
I'm, Ron Burgundy?

Using the forced rotation that a rotary has, it increases the cutting ability of the polishes, therefore, making it able to cut down better than a DA, and also allows you to get those results in a much faster time.
post #283 of 752 Old February 19th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Obsessed Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbig View Post
Yes, true story.

Definitely practice first. It doesn't take long at all to get the hang of. And the results are far superior to a DA polisher.
Oh for sure, i think ill pick it up quickly. So far from what ive read its really just about paying attention to what you are doing and being smooth and always moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shook1db View Post
I don't know that the results are "far superior" but the same results may be achieved faster. What can a rotary do that a DA cannot now?
Technically speaking if you finish down a panel with a rotary vs a DA and then use a gloss meter to measure the amount of reflected light coming from the surface, a rotary does actually produce a more level/ glossier surface that can result in a better looking finish.

But TBH, if you took 2 identical cars of the same color and corrected both, one with a DA and the other with a Rotary, i doubt the difference would be huge.

Except the guy with the rotary would finish way faster lol.

As a pro, a rotary means you can correct a whole car in alot less time, which means more $/hr and cars per week which means more overall dinero amigo.

Plus the smoothness and ability to cut with foam for sure surpass DAs.

I was talking to chris about this. Think about it like this:

A Flex PE-14 on speed setting 1 spins faster than most DAs on speed setting 6. lol. While that does add friction and heat, that means you can move way way faster and get the same or better results. I also think a rotary will be able to squeeze all the performance out of a polish as well, cutting and finishing wise- but thats just a theory lol.

Always Clean Crew Founder Detailed Reflections LLC
2012 Brembo GT Premium|3.73|Magnaflow O/R TruX & Comp CB|Airaid CAI|Lund Tuned|CHE|Whiteline
1999 Vw Golf TDI D.D.
2003 Mach 1 - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - RIP
1989 LX 5.0 - Sold
2003 Sixxer - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #284 of 752 Old February 19th, 2013, 12:18 PM
I'm, Ron Burgundy?

I wasn't paying attention while using one once and it actually started to make the paint smoke. Really easy to mess up. Never made that mistake again
post #285 of 752 Old February 19th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Obsessed Detailer

Quote:
I wasn't paying attention while using one once and it actually started to make the paint smoke. Really easy to mess up. Never made that mistake again
Its all about paying attention...or so ive read lol.

Did you burn through? or did it just get really hot?

2012 Brembo GT Premium|3.73|Magnaflow O/R TruX & Comp CB|Airaid CAI|Lund Tuned|CHE|Whiteline
1999 Vw Golf TDI D.D.
2003 Mach 1 - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - RIP
1989 LX 5.0 - Sold
2003 Sixxer - Sold
post #286 of 752 Old February 19th, 2013, 12:26 PM
I'm, Ron Burgundy?

Luckily I didn't burn through. But holy shit was that paint hot when I touched it. Haha
post #287 of 752 Old February 19th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Obsessed Detailer

Quote:
Luckily I didn't burn through. But holy shit was that paint hot when I touched it. Haha
Do you remember what speed you were at when you did it?

i was watching a Meguiars class on rotaries and the guy intentionally burned the paint to make a point but he tilted the rotary up on the edge of the pad and used pressure @ 2400 rpm and it still took like 5-6 seconds.

Most things ive read say that you usually dont go more than 15-1800rpm when polishing or compounding lol. He was using a heavy pad at high speed, he basically did everything wrong and STILL had to hold it in one place for 5+ seconds. Seems like as long as you pay attention, keep moving and use appropriate speed, youll most likely be fine.

1999 Vw Golf TDI D.D.
2003 Mach 1 - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - RIP
1989 LX 5.0 - Sold
2003 Sixxer - Sold
post #288 of 752 Old February 19th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderGT View Post
ehhh not really interested in any of that. I can send you .5oz to make a 22oz bottle with it.That should be plenty to determine if you like it
Pm sent

2013 mustang gt GHIG

Two different tire brands, Wagner pads on brembo calipers, dewalt saws-all axle back delete, Billet aluminum shift knob..... that I ripped off from dealership.... That doesn't match my shift boot.

post #289 of 752 Old February 19th, 2013, 09:08 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Modded to be honest with you there is more to using a rotary than keeping it moving and being smooth, you have to put extra caution when polishing an edge and over curves as well as other things to keep an eye out for. But don't be afraid it will take some time to get used to but as I said stick to compounding with your griots and ease into using it by polishing with it in finishing stage. I will keep this post to a minimum so that this thread doesnt get bombarded on the rotary topic. If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me.

As for the member who wants to try UWW+ believe me you will like it I have used alot of different quick detailing product and this is by far the best and the price is great compared to other high priced quick detailers like Prima Slick, Adams, Auto finesse, CG V7, etc. Plus its more than a QD its a waterless wash making it safer to remove dust particles than other products. I still have my bottle and I ordered early last year the fact that you can make 5.5 gallons of Waterless wash for $20 is amazing all you need is to go buy distilled water gallons.

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1

MGW, MAC Offroad X, Flowmaster Original 40's, Maganaflow 3.5" Tips, Anthracite 18x9's & 18x10's FR 500's wrapped with Nitto 555's, Eibach Pro Kit,
post #290 of 752 Old February 19th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Obsessed Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy281 View Post
Modded to be honest with you there is more to using a rotary than keeping it moving and being smooth, you have to put extra caution when polishing an edge and over curves as well as other things to keep an eye out for. But don't be afraid it will take some time to get used to but as I said stick to compounding with your griots and ease into using it by polishing with it in finishing stage. I will keep this post to a minimum so that this thread doesnt get bombarded on the rotary topic. If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me.

As for the member who wants to try UWW+ believe me you will like it I have used alot of different quick detailing product and this is by far the best and the price is great compared to other high priced quick detailers like Prima Slick, Adams, Auto finesse, CG V7, etc. Plus its more than a QD its a waterless wash making it safer to remove dust particles than other products. I still have my bottle and I ordered early last year the fact that you can make 5.5 gallons of Waterless wash for $20 is amazing all you need is to go buy distilled water gallons.
I wasnt implying that what i said was ALL you have to need to be worried about with rotaries, just some of the main things. Ive been reading/learning everything i can so that when that flex gets here i can spin it up and give it a run. Ive been watching very detailed videos and such showing how to polish edges(polishing off the panel-not into it), how to manage heat, how to break down the abrasives in the polish correctly and use the polish to its potential. I feel really good about going with the rotary after finding out that the direct spinning motion of a rotary diminishes polishes in a more consistent manner which will result in the ability to finish better than a DA. I really want to see just how well FG400 does with a rotary.

I plan on spending many many hours on test junkyard panels before i ever get the flex on a car. I want to get the Zenith Point Method mastered before i depend on the flex as my primary machine.

Once i get the hang of it i will most likely do some comparison videos of my Griots and Flex with the same pads and polishes just to give comparisons that you dont see much of.

But i feel you on the Griots for compounding at first, ill probably get a couple MF pads at first. Then once i master the rotary, ill see about doing a whole correction with it.

Making the jump, feelin good about it.

Alot of people on here come to me with questions and want advice. For the newer detailers on here who dont know Dannyboy281, he was the one who answered my questions and gave me advice when i first started this crazy obsession.

Glad youre back man! Reps for hookin me up with a good deal on the flex bro.

1999 Vw Golf TDI D.D.
2003 Mach 1 - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - RIP
1989 LX 5.0 - Sold
2003 Sixxer - Sold
post #291 of 752 Old February 19th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Detailing Extraordinaire

You'll love the Flex!

Now back on topic I have about half a jar of SV Onyx I'm looking to trade off for something new. Any takers? This is a great wax. Very little goes a long way and looks stunning. Not super long lasting but still a great wax. Purchased in late December of 2012 Used about 15 times.

Mustangs are for girls. LONG LIVE THE CORVETTE!
post #292 of 752 Old February 20th, 2013, 12:00 AM
I'm, Ron Burgundy?

Danny! I missed you buddy!
post #293 of 752 Old February 20th, 2013, 12:09 AM
Obsessed Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMD Chris View Post
You'll love the Flex!

Now back on topic I have about half a jar of SV Onyx I'm looking to trade off for something new. Any takers? This is a great wax. Very little goes a long way and looks stunning. Not super long lasting but still a great wax. Purchased in late December of 2012 Used about 15 times.

Id go for that but i got this new cloud 9 stuff thats supposed to be pretty good for cheaper hahaha

PS. Im super stoked about making the jump to a rotary!

1999 Vw Golf TDI D.D.
2003 Mach 1 - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - RIP
1989 LX 5.0 - Sold
2003 Sixxer - Sold
post #294 of 752 Old February 20th, 2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Danny! I missed you buddy!
Me too man good to see your still around.

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1

MGW, MAC Offroad X, Flowmaster Original 40's, Maganaflow 3.5" Tips, Anthracite 18x9's & 18x10's FR 500's wrapped with Nitto 555's, Eibach Pro Kit,
post #295 of 752 Old February 20th, 2013, 12:44 AM
Obsessed Detailer

hell danny youve posted more today than you have since august lol.

1999 Vw Golf TDI D.D.
2003 Mach 1 - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - RIP
1989 LX 5.0 - Sold
2003 Sixxer - Sold
post #296 of 752 Old February 20th, 2013, 01:26 AM

LOL I got out of detailing the Mach for a bit and got into Detailing myself for a while LOL. I hit a year of working out but recently, consistently going 5 to 6 days a week concentrating on each main muscle group, but I got injured either at the gym or at work in the beginning of the year so I have had a bit of down time now and lost some muscle But the good thing is it has gotten me back into detailing a bit

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1

post #297 of 752 Old February 20th, 2013, 02:07 AM
Obsessed Detailer

You sir, should have never left. lol

Think about ONE year ago when there were like 4 regulars on this section lol.

1999 Vw Golf TDI D.D.
2003 Mach 1 - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - RIP
1989 LX 5.0 - Sold
2003 Sixxer - Sold
post #298 of 752 Old February 20th, 2013, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModdedMach View Post
You sir, should have never left. lol

Think about ONE year ago when there were like 4 regulars on this section lol.
I know lol, hell I still remember 3 years ago when it was only Me, Nasty, Zat, James, Zinc, Emay and Handz in here. I would take days some times for one of us to see each others threads and reply lol. Slowly it got it up and running and look it now this section of the forum is actually a section now. I am glad to say I was a part of it in the beginning

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1

post #299 of 752 Old February 20th, 2013, 03:59 AM
Potato

Best part of MM is right here IMHO. No drama and doesn't get too homo on this side. Speaking of handz, where has he been?

2013 mustang gt GHIG

Two different tire brands, Wagner pads on brembo calipers, dewalt saws-all axle back delete, Billet aluminum shift knob..... that I ripped off from dealership.... That doesn't match my shift boot.

post #300 of 752 Old February 20th, 2013, 07:43 AM
RIP Dennis

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ChrisJ Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMD Chris View Post
You'll love the Flex!

Chris PM me what you are looking to swap for it or want for it...All my detailing stuff is packed up for the most part sadly...I have a few new waxes that are in a box though...Unpacking this weekend though

Speak From Experience Not From What You Have Heard.
Facebook
Google+
2015 Ford Taurus Sho NonPP / Livernois Downpipes / Magnaflow Catback / 3 Bar MAP / 170* Tstat / H&R Lowering Springs / BCB Tuned
2015 Yukon XL Denali
2008 Acura TL Type-S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page