Need some tips - Page 2 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 46 Old July 30th, 2012, 08:40 PM
BlackOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigry18 View Post
How did you start out? And is there anything to worry about when you use it? I like the porter cable since you can't really burn paint at all. Any tips would be great.
I have been detailing for many years and I can tell you right now that a dual action polisher is absolutely 100% safe. They are great because they don't cause excess friction/heat like the rotary buffers do, hence the name dual action. I can also tell you that if you have swirl marks, marring, etc on your paint don't even bother trying to remove it by hand. You may see a slight improvement but it will come at the cost of hours and hours of a lot of elbow grease. I currently use the FLEX dual action polisher. I like this one because it is more powerful than the porter cable and just has an all around better build quality to it. I also love the fact they are fully adjustable as far as the rate of speed via a small wheel on the side that turns the rate of speed up or down. Also the trigger is pressure sensitive so you can lightly press down and the buffer will spin slowly or you can press fully and the buffer moves much faster. A beginner can absolutely use one of these safely. Just start slow, get used to the feel of a buffer, then work your way up. The reason I say that doing swirl remover by hand is a waste is because most dual action polishers spin at a rate anywhere between 4,000-6,000 hand motions per minute. The key to swirl removers is not the compound itself but the rate at which it can be applied. When it comes to waxes and polishes those can be applied by hand as they don't need that speed to be effective. A few more tips for you. Never under any circumstances wipe your car with anything when it is dirty. This is the main reason why swirl marks and marring occur. You will do more harm than good. Always rinse your car off and wash it before you do anything to it. Never use dish soap on your car UNLESS you are applying a new coat of wax. The reason I say this is most dish soaps strip wax straight off the car. Buy some type of car was soap from the store. There are quick detailing sprays that work well in between washes but use them sparingly! What I mean by sparingly is if a bird craps on your car and you want to get that off before it etches into the paint. Never use a towel/rag on your car that has been dropped on any type of pavement. There are thousands upon thousands of particles such as sand and gravel that you may not see on the towel but when you go to wipe your car they can again cause swirl marks. I hope these few tips help and trust me I could go on for another few pages with all of the tips and tricks I can give you. Shoot me a PM anytime and I can walk you through anything you want. Also I use Zaino products as I feel they are the absolute best when it comes to shine. I have used every type of wax known to man and there is nothing that compares to Zaino. Everyone will vouch for Mothers and Meguiar's products all day and they do make some decent products but the reason everyone talks about them is you can find them absolutely anywhere. Zaino is strictly online so you won't find them in any store. They are synthetic waxes which means they stay on the car for a solid 12 months. Carnauba waxes unfortunately only last around 2-3 months before they begin to lose effectiveness. Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 Old July 30th, 2012, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderedGTCS View Post
I have been detailing for many years and I can tell you right now that a dual action polisher is absolutely 100% safe. They are great because they don't cause excess friction/heat like the rotary buffers do, hence the name dual action. I can also tell you that if you have swirl marks, marring, etc on your paint don't even bother trying to remove it by hand. You may see a slight improvement but it will come at the cost of hours and hours of a lot of elbow grease. I currently use the FLEX dual action polisher. I like this one because it is more powerful than the porter cable and just has an all around better build quality to it. I also love the fact they are fully adjustable as far as the rate of speed via a small wheel on the side that turns the rate of speed up or down. Also the trigger is pressure sensitive so you can lightly press down and the buffer will spin slowly or you can press fully and the buffer moves much faster. A beginner can absolutely use one of these safely. Just start slow, get used to the feel of a buffer, then work your way up. The reason I say that doing swirl remover by hand is a waste is because most dual action polishers spin at a rate anywhere between 4,000-6,000 hand motions per minute. The key to swirl removers is not the compound itself but the rate at which it can be applied. When it comes to waxes and polishes those can be applied by hand as they don't need that speed to be effective. A few more tips for you. Never under any circumstances wipe your car with anything when it is dirty. This is the main reason why swirl marks and marring occur. You will do more harm than good. Always rinse your car off and wash it before you do anything to it. Never use dish soap on your car UNLESS you are applying a new coat of wax. The reason I say this is most dish soaps strip wax straight off the car. Buy some type of car was soap from the store. There are quick detailing sprays that work well in between washes but use them sparingly! What I mean by sparingly is if a bird craps on your car and you want to get that off before it etches into the paint. Never use a towel/rag on your car that has been dropped on any type of pavement. There are thousands upon thousands of particles such as sand and gravel that you may not see on the towel but when you go to wipe your car they can again cause swirl marks. I hope these few tips help and trust me I could go on for another few pages with all of the tips and tricks I can give you. Shoot me a PM anytime and I can walk you through anything you want. Also I use Zaino products as I feel they are the absolute best when it comes to shine. I have used every type of wax known to man and there is nothing that compares to Zaino. Everyone will vouch for Mothers and Meguiar's products all day and they do make some decent products but the reason everyone talks about them is you can find them absolutely anywhere. Zaino is strictly online so you won't find them in any store. They are synthetic waxes which means they stay on the car for a solid 12 months. Carnauba waxes unfortunately only last around 2-3 months before they begin to lose effectiveness. Hope this helps!
So for sure get a duel action polisher, and which one would you think would be best? I'm really just trying to get the hang of everything like you were saying. And eventually build my way up to a more aggressive buffer. But if a da isen't that bad as far as burning paint or other things along those lines then i might try it. I'm just extremely anal when it comes to stuff like that. I really thank you for all the information. And i have never heard of zanio before but i'll def check them out once i have some time. And carnauba waxes are what i've been using from mothers as a wax i'm sure it still helps but def could be a better one out there like you suggested. And again thanks for all the information man really helps.

Sonic Blue Crew
post #23 of 46 Old July 30th, 2012, 10:43 PM
BlackOut

Quote:
So for sure get a duel action polisher, and which one would you think would be best? I'm really just trying to get the hang of everything like you were saying. And eventually build my way up to a more aggressive buffer. But if a da isen't that bad as far as burning paint or other things along those lines then i might try it. I'm just extremely anal when it comes to stuff like that. I really thank you for all the information. And i have never heard of zanio before but i'll def check them out once i have some time. And carnauba waxes are what i've been using from mothers as a wax i'm sure it still helps but def could be a better one out there like you suggested. And again thanks for all the information man really helps.
No problem! You will never need anything more aggressive than a dual action polisher. I have used both and honestly if you get the right dual action you will not see any difference between it and a rotary. The one that I use this one ( Flex XC 3401, FLEX Orbital Polisher,flex XC 3401 VRG dual-action polisher,flex XC3401VRG,Dual Action polisher,FLEX buffer ). It is powerful enough to do the same as a rotary buffer but without the worry of burning through the paint. The porter cable da is good but it does not have near the power that the flex da does. I used the flex on a 90's gt 3000 that used to be race red but looked more like a light pink it was so faded. I used that polisher with a good cleaning agent such as meguiars ultimate compound and it came out looking brand new. But yea Zaino wax is by far the best as far as shine. It can be a bit of a pain to use though since it is required to dry onto the car. During the summer it is great but during the winter a coat of it can take up to 8 hours to dry. They do sell something that speeds the drying process so that is an option. Usually when I detail my own car though it is a 2 day process since I apply 4-6 coats of zaino wax. Every coat you apply increases the shine more than the previous so I become a little obsessed with adding more and more layers. One last thing...It is pretty awesome allowing it to dry to the car because you can apply a coat and leave it for hours to dry. Where as if you apply Carnauba and let it dry it is the biggest PITA to get off. So it is kind of nice not having to babysit the wax on the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 46 Old July 30th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Pays in respect

Quote:
No problem! You will never need anything more aggressive than a dual action polisher. I have used both and honestly if you get the right dual action you will not see any difference between it and a rotary. The one that I use this one ( Flex XC 3401, FLEX Orbital Polisher,flex XC 3401 VRG dual-action polisher,flex XC3401VRG,Dual Action polisher,FLEX buffer ). It is powerful enough to do the same as a rotary buffer but without the worry of burning through the paint. The porter cable da is good but it does not have near the power that the flex da does. I used the flex on a 90's gt 3000 that used to be race red but looked more like a light pink it was so faded. I used that polisher with a good cleaning agent such as meguiars ultimate compound and it came out looking brand new. But yea Zaino wax is by far the best as far as shine. It can be a bit of a pain to use though since it is required to dry onto the car. During the summer it is great but during the winter a coat of it can take up to 8 hours to dry. They do sell something that speeds the drying process so that is an option. Usually when I detail my own car though it is a 2 day process since I apply 4-6 coats of zaino wax. Every coat you apply increases the shine more than the previous so I become a little obsessed with adding more and more layers. One last thing...It is pretty awesome allowing it to dry to the car because you can apply a coat and leave it for hours to dry. Where as if you apply Carnauba and let it dry it is the biggest PITA to get off. So it is kind of nice not having to babysit the wax on the car.
Good tips. I may try out Zaino.

OP, I feel the same way about paint correction. I have light swirls all around, and even some marring from using a clay bar for the first time. I haven't bought a DA buffer yet because I fear I will burn through my paint or cause more damage. I'm also easily frustrated when I apply wax so I can only imagine.. I think it all comes with experience. You'll only teach yourself what the best products for you are. We are just here to give you tips on getting started.

I find what's important is the basics. The wash. Once you correct your paint you'll want your work to endure. Use the two-bucket method with grit-guards. Get a couple of sponges, I use the Uber Yellow Sponge from DD. Get a shampoo that is safe on your wax and one that is aggressive on dirt. I bought 2 Waffle Weave blue towels for drying from detailed image. Best towel dry towel I've ever used. I always have at least 2 towels handy. Sonax wheel cleaner is handy to have, as well as equipment to clean your rims and tires.

For wax, I apply Meguiar's gold class paste wax. Great, a tad dusty though. I found DD's green uber wax towels to be very affective at removing wax residue.

This coming fall I'll probably bite the bullet and order me a buffer, pads, and polish. And give my self a week to do it right. You'll probably see a thread around that time.

2002 Ford Mustang 4.6 GT Coupe

Big Red BOV - B&M Hammer - Procharger P1sc - 3 Core Intercooler - UPR Catted X - SSS Terminators
H&R Super Sports - Bilstein HD
post #25 of 46 Old July 31st, 2012, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Awesome seems like the flex is the way to go for sure. I'll def check that out aswell. I'm just always worrying about going threw the clearcoat and what not but it seems like you can't really do that unless you stay in one spot for a long time lol. And about the wax drying i don't mind at all usally with the carnauba i usally dry it off within 5-10 mits and even then it's hard as hell to get off but that's bound to happen i suppose. So that would be def great to work with instead of rubbing it hard to get it off.

Sonic Blue Crew
post #26 of 46 Old July 31st, 2012, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nito2v View Post
Good tips. I may try out Zaino.

OP, I feel the same way about paint correction. I have light swirls all around, and even some marring from using a clay bar for the first time. I haven't bought a DA buffer yet because I fear I will burn through my paint or cause more damage. I'm also easily frustrated when I apply wax so I can only imagine.. I think it all comes with experience. You'll only teach yourself what the best products for you are. We are just here to give you tips on getting started.

I find what's important is the basics. The wash. Once you correct your paint you'll want your work to endure. Use the two-bucket method with grit-guards. Get a couple of sponges, I use the Uber Yellow Sponge from DD. Get a shampoo that is safe on your wax and one that is aggressive on dirt. I bought 2 Waffle Weave blue towels for drying from detailed image. Best towel dry towel I've ever used. I always have at least 2 towels handy. Sonax wheel cleaner is handy to have, as well as equipment to clean your rims and tires.

For wax, I apply Meguiar's gold class paste wax. Great, a tad dusty though. I found DD's green uber wax towels to be very affective at removing wax residue.

This coming fall I'll probably bite the bullet and order me a buffer, pads, and polish. And give my self a week to do it right. You'll probably see a thread around that time.
I highly agree on the basics about using a two bucket method. Theres a guy on adams forums that's really really good about detailing and i think even the both of you could possibly learn from him too. His name is called the junkman2000 hes really known over there. I'll leave his youtube link hes been really helpfull for detailing. And knows what hes doing. Heres the link: The Junkman - YouTube Hes really great and does it on the side.

Sonic Blue Crew
post #27 of 46 Old July 31st, 2012, 01:02 AM
Pays in respect

+reps

Watching junkman now, talk about feeding my addiction to buy some more stuff.

2002 Ford Mustang 4.6 GT Coupe

Big Red BOV - B&M Hammer - Procharger P1sc - 3 Core Intercooler - UPR Catted X - SSS Terminators
H&R Super Sports - Bilstein HD
post #28 of 46 Old July 31st, 2012, 10:43 AM
Banned

zaino is overpriced / better options imo
sonax on our cars imo isn't needed ironx/ironx paste is better anyway if you want a great wheel (and tire) cleaner get mothers, buy it by the gallon via autogeek and you'll be good. great results great bang for buck, i didn't receive either of those with my sonax.
very doubtful you'll cause damage with a da, as your boy junkman showcases in a video, only problem you could run into is not achieving the exact results you want, but that will come with time.
post #29 of 46 Old July 31st, 2012, 02:52 PM
RIP Dennis

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ChrisJ Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisJ
Griots Garage DA

Screw Zaino...Its just rebottled duragloss...

I was a zaino nut for 10 years...Even sold the stuff for them...There is much better out there

Speak From Experience Not From What You Have Heard.
Facebook
Google+
2015 Ford Taurus Sho NonPP / Livernois Downpipes / Magnaflow Catback / 3 Bar MAP / 170* Tstat / H&R Lowering Springs / BCB Tuned
2015 Yukon XL Denali
2008 Acura TL Type-S
post #30 of 46 Old July 31st, 2012, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
zaino is overpriced / better options imo
sonax on our cars imo isn't needed ironx/ironx paste is better anyway if you want a great wheel (and tire) cleaner get mothers, buy it by the gallon via autogeek and you'll be good. great results great bang for buck, i didn't receive either of those with my sonax.
very doubtful you'll cause damage with a da, as your boy junkman showcases in a video, only problem you could run into is not achieving the exact results you want, but that will come with time.
Yeah i guess theres just alot of mixed opinons on zaino i suppose but i know for sure i'll be checking out chemical guys. I've seen handz work overhere and he does a great job. He shows about the portercable 7424xp right? That's a da? Hes shows the flex and some others but he says they are way more powerfull so thats why i didn't want to go with one of those.

Sonic Blue Crew
post #31 of 46 Old July 31st, 2012, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nito2v View Post
+reps

Watching junkman now, talk about feeding my addiction to buy some more stuff.
Yeah hes great. I really enjoy watching his videos. Glad you like him man.

Sonic Blue Crew
post #32 of 46 Old July 31st, 2012, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ View Post
Griots Garage DA

Screw Zaino...Its just rebottled duragloss...

I was a zaino nut for 10 years...Even sold the stuff for them...There is much better out there
Really? lol i've never heard of them but seems like you guys don't approve lol. Thanks for the info.

Sonic Blue Crew
post #33 of 46 Old July 31st, 2012, 03:21 PM
RIP Dennis

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ChrisJ Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisJ
Quote:
Really? lol i've never heard of them but seems like you guys don't approve lol. Thanks for the info.

When I first met the guys pushing zaino I fell in love and spent thousands on their latest and greatest...

I get better results from Blackfire Wet Diamond and a nuba...

Speak From Experience Not From What You Have Heard.
Facebook
Google+
2015 Ford Taurus Sho NonPP / Livernois Downpipes / Magnaflow Catback / 3 Bar MAP / 170* Tstat / H&R Lowering Springs / BCB Tuned
2015 Yukon XL Denali
2008 Acura TL Type-S
post #34 of 46 Old July 31st, 2012, 08:44 PM
Obsessed Detailer

Wow alot of posts happened in one day, jeeze. Bigry 18, any DA shouldnt burn paint, Griots is just the best for the money.

Always Clean Crew Founder Detailed Reflections LLC
2012 Brembo GT Premium|3.73|Magnaflow O/R TruX & Comp CB|Airaid CAI|Lund Tuned|CHE|Whiteline
1999 Vw Golf TDI D.D.
2003 Mach 1 - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - RIP
1989 LX 5.0 - Sold
2003 Sixxer - Sold
post #35 of 46 Old August 1st, 2012, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModdedMach View Post
Wow alot of posts happened in one day, jeeze. Bigry 18, any DA shouldnt burn paint, Griots is just the best for the money.
Alright thanks man yeah i agree seems to be the most popular. And yeah bunch of helpful people hehe. Including you bud.

Sonic Blue Crew
post #36 of 46 Old August 1st, 2012, 11:52 AM
Obsessed Detailer

We try lol, we all started out at one point.

2012 Brembo GT Premium|3.73|Magnaflow O/R TruX & Comp CB|Airaid CAI|Lund Tuned|CHE|Whiteline
1999 Vw Golf TDI D.D.
2003 Mach 1 - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - RIP
1989 LX 5.0 - Sold
2003 Sixxer - Sold
post #37 of 46 Old August 1st, 2012, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
We try lol, we all started out at one point.
Yeah thats true. Until i can get a da buffer of some kind griots lol i'll just wash/clay/wax for now.

Sonic Blue Crew
post #38 of 46 Old August 1st, 2012, 10:35 PM
Obsessed Detailer

Just be careful with the clay!

If you do mar the paint with clay you can rub it out by hand.

1999 Vw Golf TDI D.D.
2003 Mach 1 - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - RIP
1989 LX 5.0 - Sold
2003 Sixxer - Sold
post #39 of 46 Old August 2nd, 2012, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Just be careful with the clay!

If you do mar the paint with clay you can rub it out by hand.
Yeah agreed, i ended up buying the mothers kit and tryd it out today gave it a good wash/clay and wax with carnuba not the best but will do for right now. I enjoyed claying was not as bad as i thought i just was carefull and use alot of the detail spray so i was good but it came out real good ill have to take some pics tomrw

Sonic Blue Crew
post #40 of 46 Old August 2nd, 2012, 01:46 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Nice and good job man as for Zaino their Z2 is a bit out dated even if you use the ZFX flash curer, there are better products out there now. But if your a die hard Zaino user there is nothing wrong with that as the products do work well. I personally prefer to use Autoglym, Menzerna and Meguiars products when I detail clients vehicles they are good, reliable products that get the job done right. For my own personal vehicles I have been using Wolfs Chemicals products and Scholl Concept polishes and compounds this past year as well as this year and have not cared to change it up.

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1

MGW, MAC Offroad X, Flowmaster Original 40's, Maganaflow 3.5" Tips, Anthracite 18x9's & 18x10's FR 500's wrapped with Nitto 555's, Eibach Pro Kit,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page