Subaru paint? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old July 8th, 2013, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to Blank
Subaru paint?

So I have been asked to do a 2013/14 white imprezza. hell this thing still has the temp tag. so im thinking its gonna fairly simple atleast the interior. anyway to the questions. how hard is the clearcoat on subi's any tricks to make the white BRIGHT. like you need sunglasses at night bright lol

2006 Mustang GT- RIP 10 March 2013
1991 Jeep Cherokee XJ- 3 inch lift and 33s.

"Shit when I was your age, I wanted to hump anything that got wet. (including a mop)"
-xXFallout
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old July 8th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Happy Man

I have worked on 3 subaru's now and they have all had the exact same paint. One was a 2007 sti, one was a 2002 wrx and one 2003 wrx.

FG400 sticks to their paint like concrete. Vader will tell you the same.

The clear is "sticky". It's hard to remove menzerna and hd cut from my experience. What did work VERY well was Megs d300. It being a 13/14 it hopefully will not be in that bad of shape. If you can afford to pick some of that up before than that should give you enough cut to get through the job without spending as much time removing polish as you are actually polishing.

Good luck! I've talked to a lot of full time detailers about subaru paint and they have all said the same things.

Always Clean Crew
post #3 of 21 Old July 8th, 2013, 09:50 PM
MM Fanatic

Menzerna is not subaru friendly..wipe off is awful. The CG V polishes work very well since they are water based. The paint itself is on the soft side as well. What do you own for compound/polish
CG V36 works really well with the subi paint CarPro Fixer also works very well with it
I am going to be doing my car with Sonax perfect Finish this coming week to see what its like to get ready for the Vintage Grand prix show

2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Sport 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old July 9th, 2013, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

I have a GG gen 2 and megs MF cutting pads with some uber and CG pads as well. as for polish I have Megs 105/205. i learned this last weekend that 205 and mazda paint dont along very well. i had the same sticking issues. if i had time and money to get some CG V series polishes i would. ive been wanting to try some for a while now, but i went with the idustrie standard of M105/205. also REPS given thanks fellas

"Shit when I was your age, I wanted to hump anything that got wet. (including a mop)"
-xXFallout
post #5 of 21 Old July 9th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Happy Man

Megs d300 > both of the cg polishes I've tried 36/38. If it's white you can probably get away with 1 stepping with mf pad and 105 and 105 should still come off ok. Give that a shot.

Always Clean Crew
post #6 of 21 Old July 9th, 2013, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

yea that was the plan to just 1 step it and do a good scrub down on the inside.

-xXFallout
post #7 of 21 Old July 9th, 2013, 01:02 PM
RIP Dennis

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ChrisJ Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisJ
Most of my suby friends use fixer with great results...

Speak From Experience Not From What You Have Heard.
Facebook
Google+
2015 Ford Taurus Sho NonPP / Livernois Downpipes / Magnaflow Catback / 3 Bar MAP / 170* Tstat / H&R Lowering Springs / BCB Tuned
2015 Yukon XL Denali
2008 Acura TL Type-S
post #8 of 21 Old July 9th, 2013, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

fixer?

-xXFallout
post #9 of 21 Old July 9th, 2013, 02:05 PM
MM Fanatic

Fixer: Compound & Polish (250ml) - www.CarPro-US.com
this with a green Buff n shine(Uber) pad on my dark gray works great. has pretty good defect removal and finishes down LSP ready

2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Sport 4x4
post #10 of 21 Old July 9th, 2013, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

ah i see said the blind man.

-xXFallout
post #11 of 21 Old July 9th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Happy Man

I have some if you want to throw me like 15 dollars shipped to your door. I'll send you 2 bottles.

Always Clean Crew
post #12 of 21 Old July 10th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Obsessed Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank View Post
I have a GG gen 2 and megs MF cutting pads with some uber and CG pads as well. as for polish I have Megs 105/205. i learned this last weekend that 205 and mazda paint dont along very well. i had the same sticking issues. if i had time and money to get some CG V series polishes i would. ive been wanting to try some for a while now, but i went with the idustrie standard of M105/205. also REPS given thanks fellas
TBH, if your car is fairly new and the paint condition is decent, id use a foam pad to correct your paint, i think youll get a better finish and Subaru paint being very soft it should be easy to correct via foam.

Give HD products a look too, i just spend some time with HD polish last night and it blew me away, amazing product. Id try HD uno or HD cut as they both finish well and i here they dont stick to many paints. If youre swirls are really minor you might be able to get away with using HD polish on a green pad.

Always Clean Crew Founder Detailed Reflections LLC
2012 Brembo GT Premium|3.73|Magnaflow O/R TruX & Comp CB|Airaid CAI|Lund Tuned|CHE|Whiteline
1999 Vw Golf TDI D.D.
2003 Mach 1 - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - RIP
1989 LX 5.0 - Sold
2003 Sixxer - Sold
post #13 of 21 Old July 10th, 2013, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

cool thanks modded I'll look into it. The overall paint was hard to tell what condition it was in. It was bright outside and the car is white. So as we all know lighter colors are hard to see defects.

@shook i might take you up on that soon. I'll have to find a way to send the cash. I dont do paypal

Ill post pics of the process and maybe get a camera from someone. So i can have good quality pics not shitty iPhone pics

-xXFallout
post #14 of 21 Old July 10th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Happy Man

HD Polish is awesome, careful with HD cut. They had problems with it sticking to paint like cement. They say the problem has been solved but I have not used any of the "fixed" cut.

HD uno blows. Waste of money IMO. HD Adapt will be out soon. If you can wait for that. That stuff is going to be amazing, looking better than fg400 so far.

Always Clean Crew
post #15 of 21 Old July 10th, 2013, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

I need to get a few new polishes all I have now is m105/205. I wanna try some menz products and a few others. my collection is very limited right now, but I am working to yalls level.

-xXFallout
post #16 of 21 Old July 10th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Obsessed Detailer

Quote:
cool thanks modded I'll look into it. The overall paint was hard to tell what condition it was in. It was bright outside and the car is white. So as we all know lighter colors are hard to see defects.

@shook i might take you up on that soon. I'll have to find a way to send the cash. I dont do paypal

Ill post pics of the process and maybe get a camera from someone. So i can have good quality pics not shitty iPhone pics
Darken your ambient lighting and use a cellphone flash to look at your paint, that will show you everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shook1db View Post
HD Polish is awesome, careful with HD cut. They had problems with it sticking to paint like cement. They say the problem has been solved but I have not used any of the "fixed" cut.

HD uno blows. Waste of money IMO. HD Adapt will be out soon. If you can wait for that. That stuff is going to be amazing, looking better than fg400 so far.
Im probably gonna stick to Megs/Menz for the heavy cutting. Im going to be doing more testing with HD polish, i did that explorer yesterday and it did REALLY well, until i got to one panel, then i got the slightest micromarring, but i think it was my pad or some other outside factor because the first 75% of the car was perfect.

I did some testing with M101 followed by Hd polish--- WIN for the 2 step. M101 with a monster cut and HD polish with enough cut to refine and an amazing finish. I also want to try M101 on rotary since thats what its really designed for.

I think im also going to do an M101 Vs FG400 review next week since those are the hip compounds right now and they are so different.

Quote:
I need to get a few new polishes all I have now is m105/205. I wanna try some menz products and a few others. my collection is very limited right now, but I am working to yalls level.
105/205 works but lately i dont here much about it because of the newer stuff that has hit the market. Stuff that cuts like 105 and finishes like 205. And polishes that have a ton of cut and finish perfectly, the 3 step polish is disappearing rapidly.

Ive heard through a few places that Menzerna doesnt like Subaru paint, but if it did id recommend FG400, cuts ALMOST as deep as 105 but finishes as good or better than 205.

2012 Brembo GT Premium|3.73|Magnaflow O/R TruX & Comp CB|Airaid CAI|Lund Tuned|CHE|Whiteline
1999 Vw Golf TDI D.D.
2003 Mach 1 - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - RIP
1989 LX 5.0 - Sold
2003 Sixxer - Sold
post #17 of 21 Old July 10th, 2013, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

i got a halogen light and i can close the garage door. will that help see defects as good as the cell phone light?

Ive also noticed that 105 dusty as hell when its finishing down. i know its the nature of the beast.

-xXFallout
post #18 of 21 Old July 11th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Obsessed Detailer

Quote:
i got a halogen light and i can close the garage door. will that help see defects as good as the cell phone light?

Ive also noticed that 105 dusty as hell when its finishing down. i know its the nature of the beast.
Halogen lights are great and show alot of defects but a spotlight that is directional will show more specific and finer defects.

I could talk about this all day lol, but it has alot to do with how the light hits the panel and how much ambient light is being reflected back at you. A bright light is obviously preferred but seeing defects isnt just about getting the brightest light possible, its about how the light hits the panel....

Halogens are great for showing defects, but a spotlight like a Brinkman or cell phone shows micromarring and super fine imperfections much better because less ambient light is reflected off of the paint, when there is less ambient light, it creates more contrast between the base paint color and the reflections of defects in the clear.

Example: You could polish a black car(or any dark colored car) with M205 and a medium pad, if you were outside, even on a bright day with indirect sunlight it would be very hard to see the micromarring that is commonly visible on black with a medium polish. (You would be able to see them in the direct reflection of the sun) The reason it would be hard to see the micromarring is because of the bright ambient lighting. Bright ambient light creates alot of reflection on the paint surface that makes it hard to see the defects.

Now if you take the same car, put it in a dark garage and use a spotlight to direct light at the paint without lighting up the whole garage, the reflections of light caught by the millions of tiny marks in the clear (micromarring) will contrast much better against the base paint because the ambient lighting is dark and only a small area is illuminated. So the only light coming back at you is from the spotlight and when the defects catch the light its easier to see them because they "show up" better in the dark, so-to-speak

The reason a cell phones light works so well is because the flash LEDS have a cover over them that diffuses the bright light, so the reflection of the light SOURCE is very bright on the paint but the AMBIENT light being reflected off of the paint is much less direct, the defects catch the light from the reflection of the light source and they are easy to see because the area you are lighting up isnt reflecting a TON of ambient reflection back at you.

I hope this helps. Dont get me wrong, Halogens are great, i use one, but if i was going for full correction on a car i would definitely use a spotlight in conjunction with the halogen. Multiple inspection lights are always a good thing.

I can post of picture of what im talking about if youd like. If i were to take a video of a panel with micromarring with a halogen on it would look perfect, then take the same video using my cellphone camera and the micromarring will flicker almost like the paint is metallic, lol. The camera is much like an eye, the more "flooding" or "ambient" light there is, the smaller the camera will close the aperture (like your eye's pupil) and the smaller defects will be harder to see, whereas the diffused cellphone LED will allow the tiny reflections to be captured better because of the lower ambient lighting contrasted against specific defect reflections.

Disclaimer:
All of the above are my findings from personal experience, im not posting it as "fact" but as my theory on inspecting paint based on what ive found to work best for me.

1999 Vw Golf TDI D.D.
2003 Mach 1 - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - RIP
1989 LX 5.0 - Sold
2003 Sixxer - Sold
post #19 of 21 Old July 14th, 2013, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Good info Mach I understand what your talking about. Ill have to get a spot light of some sort. Thanks for the info.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

-xXFallout
post #20 of 21 Old July 15th, 2013, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

I knocked that subie out the park. it looked amazing when it drove away from my house. i wish i would have gotten some pics, i was running low on time and had to hustle.

-xXFallout
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page