aluminum sealant quandry - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
I smell like beef

aluminum sealant quandry

I just ordered a set of wheels for the jeep that are polished aluminum with NO clearcoat. I want to make the shine last for as long as possible without breaking out the buffing wheel every week. I've been doing the research but opinions on which products to use are a dime a dozen. I've heard sonus, collinite 850 metal wax, poor boy's....

Recommend me something in the $20 range.

4r70w Dirty 3800 Stall [email protected] TRV25 60# SVT Pump FRPP 4.10s TFS TB+Plenum MAC O/R H Flows 382rwhp 384rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:04 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

This what I use on my Polished aluminum wheels. HydrO2: Touchless Silica Sealant Concentrate (100ml) - www.CarPro-US.com It dilutes 1 part Hydro2, 3 parts water. Couple of spritz on your wet wheels, hit it pressured water and you are done. 1 -2 minutes per wheel. While your there pick up this little bottle, perfect size and spritz. Spray Bottle w/ Pump Nozzle (2.5 oz.) - www.CarPro-US.com

post #3 of 25 Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:58 PM
Banned

My car has uncoated polished billet Fikse wheels and all I use to seal the wheels in between cleanings is regular old car wax that you find at the corner auto parts store. Cheap, effective and redily available. A can of turtle wax goes for 5 bucks.

To quote Fikse:

Step 5
"Once your wheels are clean and dry, you may apply a very light coat of highest-grade wax to the wheels to help protect them between cleanings."

10 year old billet polished Fikse wheels(not cheap chrome plated chinese made wheels) still look new because they are cleaned with plain soap, Simple green and sealed with turtle wax.

Last edited by 03SonicBoom; September 3rd, 2013 at 09:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old September 3rd, 2013, 01:44 AM
Obsessed Detailer

OP- Wax and sealant both work but a sealant will last WAY longer, wax doesnt do well against hi temps and road debris.

Always Clean Crew Founder Detailed Reflections LLC
2012 Brembo GT Premium|3.73|Magnaflow O/R TruX & Comp CB|Airaid CAI|Lund Tuned|CHE|Whiteline
1999 Vw Golf TDI D.D.
2003 Mach 1 - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - RIP
1989 LX 5.0 - Sold
2003 Sixxer - Sold

Last edited by 03SonicBoom; September 3rd, 2013 at 09:29 PM.
post #5 of 25 Old September 3rd, 2013, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
I smell like beef

So modded "detail boy", I should pick up some simple green, a wire brush, and a pumice stone and I should be ok?

Mrperple: That stuff sounds awesome!

4r70w Dirty 3800 Stall [email protected] TRV25 60# SVT Pump FRPP 4.10s TFS TB+Plenum MAC O/R H Flows 382rwhp 384rwtq

Last edited by 03SonicBoom; September 3rd, 2013 at 09:31 PM.
post #6 of 25 Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModdedMach View Post
OP- Wax and sealant both work but a sealant will last WAY longer, wax doesn't do well against hi temps and road debris.
The turtle wax does a good job and as the photos show, the results speak for them selves. I have noticed no issues with temp by using wax on my wheels.

Furthermore, your point about sealant lasting way longer is flawed because it is not advisable to let uncoated wheels run too long with out cleaning and the reason for this is that brake dust should not be allowed to build up on the wheel and the only way to prevent this is by regularly cleaning the wheel with plain car soap and simple green.

---------- Post added at 07:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbydog! View Post
So modded "detail boy", I should pick up some simple green, a wire brush, and a pumice stone and I should be ok?

Mrperple: That stuff sounds awesome!
One owner who actually owns some billet uncoated wheels posted some advise on how he maintained them for 10 years to still make them look new so take it for what it's worth.

Last edited by 03SonicBoom; September 3rd, 2013 at 09:32 PM.
post #7 of 25 Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
I smell like beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobraracer46 View Post
The turtle wax does a good job and as the photos show, the results speak for them selves. I have noticed no issues with temp by using wax on my wheels.

Furthermore, your point about sealant lasting way longer is flawed because it is not advisable to let uncoated wheels run too long with out cleaning and the reason for this is that brake dust should not be allowed to build up on the wheel and the only way to prevent this is by regularly cleaning the wheel with plain car soap and simple green.

---------- Post added at 07:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 AM ----------

One owner who actually owns some billet uncoated wheels posted some advise on how he maintained them for 10 years to still make them look new so take it for what it's worth.
I think I'll take advise from the guy that has posted multiple examples of his detailing prowess. I have only seen you post 1 pic of 1 wheel which in all honesty doesn't look that great. FWIW I did my first resurfacing of a set of racestars and they look way shinier than your wheel.

Last edited by 03SonicBoom; September 3rd, 2013 at 09:32 PM.
post #8 of 25 Old September 3rd, 2013, 12:15 PM
00blkvert

Oh sh*t here we go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrperple View Post
This what I use on my Polished aluminum wheels. HydrO2: Touchless Silica Sealant Concentrate (100ml) - www.CarPro-US.com It dilutes 1 part Hydro2, 3 parts water. Couple of spritz on your wet wheels, hit it pressured water and you are done. 1 -2 minutes per wheel. While your there pick up this little bottle, perfect size and spritz. Spray Bottle w/ Pump Nozzle (2.5 oz.) - www.CarPro-US.com
I agree 100% with perple. Hydro2 is awesome. If you get a small bottle the price isn't bad. If you have DC membership the price is actually fairly nice I think. Pm me i can send you a couple ounces to try to see if you like it before you buy it.

Quote:
My car has uncoated polished billet Fikse wheels and all I use to seal the wheels in between cleanings is regular old car wax that you find at the corner auto parts store. Cheap, effective and redily available. A can of turtle wax goes for 5 bucks.

To quote Fikse:

Step 5
"Once your wheels are clean and dry, you may apply a very light coat of highest-grade wax to the wheels to help protect them between cleanings."

10 year old billet polished[/COLOR] Fikse wheels(not cheap chrome plated chinese made wheels like on detail boy's car) still look new because they are cleaned with plain soap, Simple green and sealed with turtle wax.
Did you actually read what you wrote/copied? It says "highest grade" wax and your using turtle wax? That makes complete sense.

Quote:
Detail boy, the turtle wax does a good job and as the photos show, the results speak for them selves. I have noticed no issues with temp by using wax on my wheels.

Detail boy, Furthermore, your point about sealant lasting way longer is flawed because it is not advisable to let uncoated wheels run too long with out cleaning and the reason for this is that brake dust should not be allowed to build up on the wheel and the only way to prevent this is by regularly cleaning the wheel with plain car soap and simple green.

If you seal the wheels it doesn't mean you don't clean them. If you clean them then seal them then your sealing a clean wheel right? So that means when your wheel gets dirty from brake dust you can clean your wheel a lot easier because the brake dust won't stick to the wheel it l just sit on the sealant which is protecting the wheel?

O modded I like detail boy, you should make that your nick name lol
post #9 of 25 Old September 3rd, 2013, 02:06 PM
Obsessed Detailer

Quote:

#1 Your wheels look like shit, everyone can tell, they are etched from using improper cleaners.

#2 Just because i dont OWN billet wheels, doesnt mean i havent worked on them. A friend of mine has 20" Forged BARE aluminum Centerline Wheels that ive personally polished and cleaned and he only has to polish them MAYBE once a year because we clean them with cleaners that are designed to be safe of bare aluminum.

#3 What you said concerning a sealant vs wax makes NO SENSE, just because a sealant will last longer doesnt mean you are washing it ANY less, you can wash as often as youd like, the difference is THIS- A sealant wont come off just from washing The reason you have to wax your wheels every time YOU "wash" your wheels, is because you use a cleaner like Simple green which STRIPS the protection and HURTS the aluminium. Using a sealant allows you to wash the wheels MULTIPLE times before having to reapply the protection. Sealants also dont collect dust and debris nearly as bad as wax does, which again, is better for the wheel.

Im no longer entertaining your ignorance, you are like a child who wont listen. This section is for contributing to the good of the group, which you are not doing.

I will SEE TO IT that you are no longer able to litter this section with incorrect information and insults.

Good day, Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbydog! View Post
I think I'll take advise from the guy that has posted multiple examples of his detailing prowess. I have only seen you post 1 pic of 1 wheel which in all honesty doesn't look that great. FWIW I did my first resurfacing of a set of racestars and they look way shinier than your wheel.
His wheels are etched from using simple green on them. Simple green actually says on their website that their cleaners can and will accelerate the corrosion process of bare aluminium. He has posted pictures before of his wheels and you can see the etch marks where the cleaner ran vertically down while it was dwelling.

Like Perp and Blkvert said, Hydro2 is a really cool product because its very easy to apply to wheels of any design. A sealant is definitely the way to go and will actually cost you less in the long run because of the longer protection periods.

if you REALLY wanna protect your wheels for a long time, look into opticoat 2.0. Its a nano coating that acts almost like a clear coat. Its VERY durable and makes washing your wheels super easy. Its a bit more pricey but it works. Im not sure if they claim itll bond to aluminum tho, id check that out.

Always Clean Crew Founder Detailed Reflections LLC
2012 Brembo GT Premium|3.73|Magnaflow O/R TruX & Comp CB|Airaid CAI|Lund Tuned|CHE|Whiteline
1999 Vw Golf TDI D.D.
2003 Mach 1 - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - RIP
1989 LX 5.0 - Sold
2003 Sixxer - Sold

Last edited by 03SonicBoom; September 3rd, 2013 at 09:34 PM.
post #10 of 25 Old September 3rd, 2013, 02:33 PM
Torchin tires...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModdedMach View Post
I will SEE TO IT that you are no longer able to litter this section with incorrect information and insults.

Good day, Sir.

2004 Torch Red GT
Motor build + turbo swap in progress...
post #11 of 25 Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:52 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:

To quote Fikse:

Step 5

10 year old billet polished Fikse wheels(not cheap chrome plated chinese made wheels like on detail boy's car) still look new because they are cleaned with plain soap, Simple green and sealed with turtle wax.

Always Clean Crew
MGW Shifter, Magnaflow Street Catback, Airaid CAI, Bama 91H Tune,
Koni STR.T Struts/Shocks,
Vogtland Springs, BMR Panhard Bar
post #12 of 25 Old September 3rd, 2013, 07:13 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

This guy never learns. He will gone soon enough. Detail Boys unite!!!!!!!!!!

post #13 of 25 Old September 3rd, 2013, 07:26 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

post #14 of 25 Old September 3rd, 2013, 07:35 PM
It'll buff out...

Quote:
Detail boy, the turtle wax does a good job and as the photos show, the results speak for them selves. I have noticed no issues with temp by using wax on my wheels.

Detail boy, Furthermore, your point about sealant lasting way longer is flawed because it is not advisable to let uncoated wheels run too long with out cleaning and the reason for this is that brake dust should not be allowed to build up on the wheel and the only way to prevent this is by regularly cleaning the wheel with plain car soap and simple green.

How dim are you man? Seriously. Speechless.

Also you told them to wax the wheels and turtle wax works fine, then you say waxing them is pointless because you're cleaning them often anyway. LMAO. Btw simple green strips your turtle wax right off genius.
Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Always Clean Crew
post #15 of 25 Old September 3rd, 2013, 08:12 PM
Zip's half naked helper

Quote:

To quote Fikse:

Step 5

10 year old billet polished Fikse wheels(not cheap chrome plated chinese made wheels like on detail boy's car) still look new because they are cleaned with plain soap, Simple green and sealed with turtle wax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narleycarley
I have an amazing mullet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordang View Post
If Marc's car was a woman, she would be in short skirt and a G string and he would tell her to bend over whenever people walked by.
post #16 of 25 Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TheUNZippee!
And we're done.

post #17 of 25 Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:37 PM
00blkvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
And we're done.

post #18 of 25 Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:41 PM
Don't BAAAAH 'Til Goatsday

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrperple View Post
Nice I've got to use this next time I clean my wheels.

I need a buffer bad

From here to infirmary......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
0-60mph 0.5 sec. And we have liftoff!
post #19 of 25 Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:53 PM
It'll buff out...

Do you need a pressure washer for hydro2 to work properly?

Always Clean Crew
post #20 of 25 Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:01 PM
00blkvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevey92 View Post
Do you need a pressure washer for hydro2 to work properly?

Nope. If you have a nozzle that shoots like the fire hose style or whatever that works just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page