Soap Scum / haze? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old October 7th, 2013, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rdspins89 Send a message via Skype™ to rdspins89
Soap Scum / haze?

Im sure it has been asked a million times but i can't get an exact answer... I was having problems getting me car to look good after i washed it but maybe even more since I had it detailed. I wash it in the shade with a bucket and sponge. ICE 2 in one clean and shine solution and it seams to leave a soap residue, almost worse than before i washed it. It seams no matter what i do i can not get that shine, always hazy. Worst part is it's a black car, so it really shows! Help suggestions. I even just went to one of those spray yourself washes and used the power washer soap and rinse still same problem. The only way i get it to look half way decent is with a quick detailer after but that takes forever!

Mach 1.... A little GT a little Cobra... Call it a Mach 1... Its Mustangs Bastard Child!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old October 7th, 2013, 06:39 PM
It'll buff out...

Sounds like you're using a soap with wax in it. That would mean you'd need to buff all the residue off with a clean dry microfiber. You're using microfibers right? If you have cheapo ones get some good ones from autoality or chemical guys, you'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes in buffing off residue. I'd recommend using a soap with no wax in it, basic wash soap. I dry my car a good three or four times after I wash it to get any streaks or residues off. Pooling rinse, leaf blower, microfibers with qd, dry microfibers and done. Black is tough because it will show everything, but just try using a clean dry microfiber and buffing the haze.

Oh and btw don't use a sponge use a wash mitt, a sponge won't pick up dirt into itself like a mitt will, a sponge will get dirt on the surface, then you're scraping it all over your car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Always Clean Crew
post #3 of 19 Old October 7th, 2013, 06:48 PM
MM Fanatic

I would use a wax and grease remover from an auto paint Store, then buff and polish.

Tuned by [email protected]

CMS Stage 1 Cams, 4.10 Gears, TrickFlow 70mm TB & Plenum, MAC Prochamber with Pypes M80's, MGW Shifter, Custom Paint, Cobra Cloth Top, Staggered Chrome 18" Saleen's and Sequential Tails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old October 7th, 2013, 06:53 PM
00blkvert

I agree with Stevey but I don't think it's as much of a soap issue, could be partially, but o think it's more of the soap drying on the car. I think you need to try it how Stevey said or as close as you can.

I also have a black car I pool it, blow dry it, qd/Mf towels, then hit inside all the doors, trunk etc, then I go and make sure there is no left over beads or runs anywhere.
post #5 of 19 Old October 8th, 2013, 12:31 AM
Obsessed Detailer

Id get a different soap, always wash in the shade and be sure to rinse very thoroughly and keep the car wet when you are washing.

If you are still having hazy issues and you feel that your paint needs more depth and gloss, it may be time to look into polishers

Always Clean Crew Founder Detailed Reflections LLC
2012 Brembo GT Premium|3.73|Magnaflow O/R TruX & Comp CB|Airaid CAI|Lund Tuned|CHE|Whiteline
1999 Vw Golf TDI D.D.
2003 Mach 1 - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - RIP
1989 LX 5.0 - Sold
2003 Sixxer - Sold
post #6 of 19 Old October 8th, 2013, 01:54 AM
That Regular Guy

I always wash around sunset for my personal car. Customers I have all day so that's not an option. But it takes me just enough time from when the sun goes down to pitch black to get her all washed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.6DreameR View Post
I would hit it like the fist of an angry God!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton View Post
just wasted my whole night on this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurrycaneStang View Post
Wait till you waste your entire life on this forum...

2.8 pulley, steeda air filter, aermotive fuel rail, steeda tri-ax, and borla stingers.
post #7 of 19 Old October 8th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Enthusiast

whats pooling rinse? or pool it?

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

nvm its just another name for sheeting lol I thought it was a product
post #8 of 19 Old October 8th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Obsessed Detailer

You got it^ lol.

The kind of paint protection you use plays a large role in easy of wash and drying too.

2012 Brembo GT Premium|3.73|Magnaflow O/R TruX & Comp CB|Airaid CAI|Lund Tuned|CHE|Whiteline
1999 Vw Golf TDI D.D.
2003 Mach 1 - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - RIP
1989 LX 5.0 - Sold
2003 Sixxer - Sold
post #9 of 19 Old October 8th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Enthusiast

who sells the best mf towels? I need a bunch more I've only been working w/ 2 I have a bunch of shop towels but they leave fibers everywhere.

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

I also need a good wash mit if you can recommend one.. the one I have is from walmart and its starting to fall apart. (washing the wheels pulls out the fibers)
post #10 of 19 Old October 8th, 2013, 03:45 PM
It'll buff out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventwenty View Post
who sells the best mf towels? I need a bunch more I've only been working w/ 2 I have a bunch of shop towels but they leave fibers everywhere.

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

I also need a good wash mit if you can recommend one.. the one I have is from walmart and its starting to fall apart. (washing the wheels pulls out the fibers)
Autoality.com
Detailersdomain.com
Chemicalguys.com
For microfibers.

NEVER use a shop towel on your paint.

The carpro wool wash mitt on autoality or DD I believe, is really good.
I just use a microfiber one from advanced, it's really not that bad but I need to upgrade lol.

Btw, dont use the same mitt you use on the wheels on the paint, wheels are always more dirty and have brake dust on them, you don't want the possibility of brake dust rubbing on your paint. Invest in two buckets and two grit guards to rub the mitt on to get the dirt off.

Always Clean Crew
post #11 of 19 Old October 8th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Enthusiast

my paint is pretty poor atm I plan on getting it painted at the end of the upcoming winter so I wasn't too worried about only having 1 mit, just want to start building up my kit little at a time starting with the small things, by the time my paint is worth keeping pristine I will have everything I need.
post #12 of 19 Old October 9th, 2013, 01:12 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Here is 2 options for you, both can be had @ CarPro USA. If you want wool go w/ this Merino Wool Wash Mitt - www.CarPro-US.com If you want MF go w/ this MicroFiber Madness Incredimitt - www.CarPro-US.com I have both and love both. I use the wool if my car isn't that dirty, but I use the MF when it's filthy.

post #13 of 19 Old October 9th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Enthusiast

on these mfs...with or without the edge? I assume the edge will help it hold shape when buffing off wax?
post #14 of 19 Old October 9th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Obsessed Detailer

With MFs, Edgeless or silk edge are both fine, i dont think edges really help hold shape or anything IME, lol. Beware of tags, most good MFs come with stickers on them or tags that are designed to be pulled out. Just my .02

PERP! I wast that mitt! Gonna get it soon i think and dedicate the Merino to clients.

1999 Vw Golf TDI D.D.
2003 Mach 1 - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - RIP
1989 LX 5.0 - Sold
2003 Sixxer - Sold
post #15 of 19 Old October 9th, 2013, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info i think maybe since my car has a good wax on it from being detailed and i am using a 2 in one wash / wax that may be the problem also I did switch from mitt to sponge guess ill go back to the mitt see how that works! whats this about grit guards and two buckets though?

Mach 1.... A little GT a little Cobra... Call it a Mach 1... Its Mustangs Bastard Child!
post #16 of 19 Old October 9th, 2013, 09:24 PM
It'll buff out...

The two bucket wash is the standard washing method most detailers use to reduce the possibility of causing swirl marks or marring. Go on YouTube and type in two bucket method, watch the junkman2000 video he explains everything and shows you

Always Clean Crew
post #17 of 19 Old October 10th, 2013, 12:04 AM
Obsessed Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdspins89 View Post
Thanks for the info i think maybe since my car has a good wax on it from being detailed and i am using a 2 in one wash / wax that may be the problem also I did switch from mitt to sponge guess ill go back to the mitt see how that works! whats this about grit guards and two buckets though?
The wash n wax shouldnt effect the haziness youre talking about. If u rinse the car properly before the soap dries on the paint then you should be fine.

Next time you wash, if u get haziness, go over the car with a Qd, id that doesnt work, try a clay bar or cleaner wax and see if that helps you.

If you dont already, TBM like stevey said.

1999 Vw Golf TDI D.D.
2003 Mach 1 - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - RIP
1989 LX 5.0 - Sold
2003 Sixxer - Sold
post #18 of 19 Old October 13th, 2013, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Well what else could be the haziness... I had someone go behind me and rinse as i scrubbed same crap! Also forgive me but what is a Qd, maybe it has something to do with the water here in Texas... Never had this much of a problem in Florida! good thing Im going back there in 3 weeks!

post #19 of 19 Old October 13th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Enthusiast

qd= quick detailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page