Rock chip help - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old December 17th, 2013, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
More average than ever

Rock chip help

I did search but didn't find anything helpful. I have many chips, but I'm not concerned about those as I expect them to happen as I daily drive my mach. The one in particular that worries me is on the fender right next to the hood. It's straight down to the metal, so far no rust, and I would like to keep it that way. What would be my best approach to covering the metal that wouldn't look like hell and is not over like $25? I might get the car repainted eventually, but that won't be until 5 years or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old December 17th, 2013, 01:31 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

your best option is Dr. ColorChip Basic Paint Chip Repair Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems I know it's a little more than you wanted to spend, but well worth it. Plus you'll be able to take care of all of chips.

post #3 of 8 Old December 17th, 2013, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
More average than ever

^ $15 more is a small price to pay for a good product. $25 would've been ideal, but I'm always willing to spend a bit more for better products. I'll look into how this stuff works. Thanks for the input. My mach might be far from a show car, even further from the flawless examples found in this section of the forum, but it runs strong and no matter what, it's my baby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old December 17th, 2013, 08:11 AM
MM Fanatic

Dr Colorchip is really good. It does a great job at filling in chips without leaving that nasty blob look so its hard to find them after they are filled. For really deep chips to the metal its not gonna make it level with the paint but it will be very hard to notice after its filled.

2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Sport 4x4
post #5 of 8 Old December 17th, 2013, 12:39 PM
00blkvert

Dr colorchip allows it to look better not perfect but defiantly better and its easy to use. As vader said it wont fill it but itll at least make it the same color.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6xi3xme...%3D6xi3xmeO6C4

Heres another option.
post #6 of 8 Old December 18th, 2013, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
More average than ever

My main concern is preventing rust. Even now it's not easy to notice the chip that's down to the metal, I can probably thank the orange paint for that. Making the chips less noticeable would be a added bonus. Like I said, top priority is preventing rust, without it looking like crap. Like the previous owner took a paint pen and blobbed some paint into a few chips, must've been a cheap pen too, it was a way darker shade of orange from CO.
post #7 of 8 Old December 18th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Regular

Wow, did I come to the right Mustang forum or what. All kinds of great info here. I have a decent size chip right under my drivers side quarter window and it bugs the hell outta me. I know this wasn't my thread but thanks

JB

2005 Mustang GT Satin Silver
2010 Mustang LX Sunset Gold Metallic
post #8 of 8 Old December 19th, 2013, 01:36 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Dr. Colorchip works well but if the scratch or chip is deep you will have to repeat the process 2 to 3 times, so that it can be level to the rest of the finish.

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1

MGW, MAC Offroad X, Flowmaster Original 40's, Maganaflow 3.5" Tips, Anthracite 18x9's & 18x10's FR 500's wrapped with Nitto 555's, Eibach Pro Kit,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page