Detailing starter kit help - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old March 28th, 2014, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Detailing starter kit help

I know this has probably been discussed so yell at me all you like but here goes. My car is need of a good detail with swirl correction. I am confident in being able to do the job myself since I have used a polisher a few times in the past but just not purchased one for my own use. It will be a few weeks before the detail since I am having a fender scratch repainted in April along with 2 slight dings removed on the driver's door.

I have a 300-400 dollar budget to purchase all the items for a complete exterior detail including polisher, any interior items are just a bonus. The car is a daily driver that lives outside but I do have a garage to perform the polishing in. Car will be able to live in the garage later this summer once I remove a camper that is blocking it for good.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old March 28th, 2014, 09:48 PM
00blkvert

First with the amount your going to spend I would reccomend a Detailers Clud membership from autoality.com. it's 50 dollars year but the savings are unbelievable. We can't tell you prices but with how much you ll spend getting started you 'll male your money back.

Here is a quick list ill add more when I get home

Griots garage DA with a 5" backing plate
Ultima waterless wash (qd, waterless wash, clay lube,etc.)
Compound meguires 101, hd Cut, menzerna fg400
Polish id go with HD polish
Clay bar
AA mf towels either the ultrasoft or edgeless white ones
For a DD for LSP definitely Sonax Polymer Net shield

Now things you may want to consider for after your correction 2 buckets, 2 grit guards, quality wash mitt, quality soap, a foam gun or cannon and more MF towels.
post #3 of 18 Old March 29th, 2014, 02:33 AM
MM Fanatic

Yeah I think he hit it on the head... I just started and thats pretty much my list of stuff, the polisher works awesome! Dont forget an assortment of pads... I would buy the starter kit that comes with five pads and get about five more, depending on compound and polish you will get different pads. I have powerlock for my sealant on my dd's and love it.. but everyone seems to be heading to net shield...lol

Full Exhaust / Cams / 4.10 Gears / CAI / Delete Plugs / Some Suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old March 29th, 2014, 07:35 PM
Regular

any one have good links to buy this stuff? thinking that i can't find a guy locally to do my car i might just attempt to do it my self.

more or less im looking for what is needed to 3 step paint correction. please try to avoid using to many abreviations as i don't know what most of them mean!

Grey 2011 GT MT-82, 3.55, Avant Garde M510, Conti 285/35r19, Flowmaster outlaws, 3" o/r H-pipe, Tuned...
post #5 of 18 Old March 29th, 2014, 07:43 PM
00blkvert

Detailersdomain.com for a griots garage polisher there is also a forum discount from them since he is a sponsor.

Autoality.com as I mentioned for alot more stuff. Crazy good prices with the membership.
post #6 of 18 Old March 30th, 2014, 12:29 AM
MM Fanatic

Yeah, the membership at autoality will pay for itself

post #7 of 18 Old March 30th, 2014, 03:05 AM
Obsessed Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammin' 08 View Post
First with the amount your going to spend I would reccomend a Detailers Clud membership from autoality.com. it's 50 dollars year but the savings are unbelievable. We can't tell you prices but with how much you ll spend getting started you 'll male your money back.

Here is a quick list ill add more when I get home

Griots garage DA with a 5" backing plate
Ultima waterless wash (qd, waterless wash, clay lube,etc.)
Compound meguires 101, hd Cut, menzerna fg400
Polish id go with HD polish
Clay bar
AA mf towels either the ultrasoft or edgeless white ones
For a DD for LSP definitely Sonax Polymer Net shield

Now things you may want to consider for after your correction 2 buckets, 2 grit guards, quality wash mitt, quality soap, a foam gun or cannon and more MF towels.
+1

Id grab all the maintenance wash stuff prior to correction just to be sure to not cause any more damage to be corrected lol.

Dont forget the proper foam polishing pads. Detailers domain has a kit with the GG polisher, backing plate, Menzerna FG400/SF4000/Powerlock and MF towels for like 300 bucks, and we get a discount. Id probably go with that kit if i were you, OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan1983 View Post
any one have good links to buy this stuff? thinking that i can't find a guy locally to do my car i might just attempt to do it my self.

more or less im looking for what is needed to 3 step paint correction. please try to avoid using to many abreviations as i know what most of them mean!
Quote:
Detailersdomain.com for a griots garage polisher there is also a forum discount from them since he is a sponsor.

Autoality.com as I mentioned for alot more stuff. Crazy good prices with the membership.
Definitely buy a membership. Idk what id do if i didnt have one. Im so glad he joined the 2 sites.

Always Clean Crew Founder Detailed Reflections LLC
2012 Brembo GT Premium|3.73|Magnaflow O/R TruX & Comp CB|Airaid CAI|Lund Tuned|CHE|Whiteline
1999 Vw Golf TDI D.D.
2003 Mach 1 - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - RIP
1989 LX 5.0 - Sold
2003 Sixxer - Sold
post #8 of 18 Old March 30th, 2014, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Thanks guys, reps! I will order a kit and some supplies after the fender is resprayed. I was gonna order some items yesterday but spent 200+ on all fluids to be changed, and a new caliper.

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Did have one other question, the net shield, is it a wax replacement or no?
post #9 of 18 Old March 30th, 2014, 04:43 PM
00blkvert

You could say its a replacement. It's a sealant. If you get netshield I would also get Sonax's quick detailer to compliment it.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Sonax...0ml_p_890.html
post #10 of 18 Old March 30th, 2014, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
You could say its a replacement. It's a sealant. If you get netshield I would also get Sonax's quick detailer to compliment it.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Sonax...0ml_p_890.html
Cool, thanks!
post #11 of 18 Old April 3rd, 2014, 12:57 AM
Enthusiast

Is this the beginners kit that was mentioned above? I'm looking to get one as well, and don't want to buy something I'm going to regret. Should I get that kit or buy the DA/pads and then buy product separately?

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Griot...Kit_p_704.html

***EDIT***

Reread the thread. the answer was right in front of my face.. lol

2003 Sonic Blue Cobra. TVS, SRA, LT ect ect ect. 605RWHP.
post #12 of 18 Old April 3rd, 2014, 01:35 AM
MM Fanatic

Lol, good luck!

post #13 of 18 Old April 18th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Regular

I have some questions about essentially the same thing the OP asked and didn't feel a new thread should be created.

I bought a gg polisher with 10 pads (2 of each) from detailers domain and it came with the 5" backing plate. I also purchased a 10 pack of uber classic microfibers. This will be my first time using a machine to do detailing/correction. I already know to get grit guards and that is about all I know for sure on.

I have bright Atlantic blue and dark shadow grey mustangs and a silver Camry.

1) How many of each pad do I need? Should I do another 5 pack from DD, but leave out the cutting pads? The mustangs need some correction, but the Camry sits outside all the time and hasn't seen a wax or anything like that in many years.

2) What products are good with those vehicle colors? I have been reading and I guess some products finish down better on certain colors?

3) What wash mitt and car wash are recommended? I have been using a purple Maguires (cannot remember the name)

I have been leaning towards the HD line based on some things I have read from googling.
post #14 of 18 Old April 18th, 2014, 04:24 PM
00blkvert

I have 3 of each personally and I would love to have enough for a pad per panel but between storage and cost im content with 3.

The products/color varies on what you are trying to achieve. You may not want to compound so you can.use a deeper cutting pad with a polish to achieve the extra cut. Generally speaking the orange/yellow/ white will be compound. White, blue green with be polish. Blue and black will be finish polish glaze and red will be a sealant or wax this is just generally speaking.

I'm useing an Uber woolmitt but it only touches my car.
post #15 of 18 Old April 18th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Regular

So its not that a product will finish down better on certain color vehicles, but it comes down to the pad to determine how the product finishes down?
post #16 of 18 Old April 18th, 2014, 04:59 PM
00blkvert

It's both. Each pad is designed for more or less cut so ate products compounds cut deeper then polishes and fi al cut less then polishes. You can combine to 2 to get your desired effects.

You want to go least to most aggressive when working with paint so a polish on a polishing pad may not be enough but a polish on a compounding pad may be enough before pulling out compounds. Male sense?
post #17 of 18 Old April 18th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Regular

It does, for me I was think along the lines with the literal labeled use of a pad should be used with a corresponding product. ie. Cutting pad to compound only
post #18 of 18 Old April 18th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Torchin tires...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModdedMach View Post
Definitely buy a membership. Idk what id do if i didnt have one. Im so glad he joined the 2 sites.
+1million

2004 Torch Red GT
Motor build + turbo swap in progress...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page