Need some help Buffing. - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old July 12th, 2015, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Need some help Buffing.

Alrighty, was hoping to be able to take care of all of this myself but I dont want to mess the paint.

I bought a 2006 Nissan Xterra from an abandoned vehicle auction to replace our aging Jeep (well its only 4 years newer but only has 40k miles on it) and it was COVERED with scratches. Whoever owned it last had done some modifications to fit it for off-roading so I assume theyre mostly from branches, brush, and shit. I got a buffer for christmas and havent had the chance to use it since I sold the Mustang. Its some cheapo no-name brand but its better than nothing. Bought the following to use on it:

Hex-Logic 6.5" Yellow Pad
Hex-Logic 6.5" Orange Pad (x2)
Hex-Logic 6.5" White Pad
CG V38
CG V36
CG V34
and a pack of microfibers.

I originally bought just the orange and yellow pads with the V36 and V38 but they just weren't cutting enough because of the extent of the scratches. The V34 w/ Yellow pad is getting rid of the most of it but theres still some that youll see in the pictures. Idk how much I can buff. I dont want to go through the clear coat or anything like that. Im pretty happy overall with the difference and dont expect EVERYTHING to come out but want to make sure Im not going to damage anything.

First 2 are just loading the thing up, 3rd are before ANY buffing, 3-4 are after hitting it with the V34 w/Yellow and Orange and then the V36 with an Orange. Theres still some orange peel look to it if it helps. Not too much but some, I couldnt get a picture of it though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11748842_1185924854767047_1632389013_n.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	156913   Click image for larger version

Name:	11748605_1185924864767046_1728340266_n.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	156921   Click image for larger version

Name:	11748255_1185923174767215_1946995991_o.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	156929   Click image for larger version

Name:	11720068_1185923071433892_722542308_n.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	156937   Click image for larger version

Name:	11719821_1185923081433891_223433926_n.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	156945  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old July 16th, 2015, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

So......???
post #3 of 5 Old July 18th, 2015, 07:56 PM
Hardcore Devotee

Nice pickup OP. I always liked xterras. I've never used the chemical guys pads/compounds so I don't know if they are decent or not. Someone else can maybe chime in on that. I just used HD adapt on a 5.5" microfiber cutting pad. Then followed up with a HD adapt on blue/green foam pads. That works great for me and its very simple using the same compound for cutting/polishing. I have a griots garage DA and I bought the slightly smaller backing plate after recommendations from other members on here. If your DA is cheap/underpowered, you may see better results with that and the microfiber cutting pads which have more "cut" than the foam pads imo.

Also, I found that taking your time, and following the proper procedures go a long way. Not saying that you didn't, because its hard to tell from pictures on the internet. If those scratches are from barreling through the woods, it may be a lost cause without some wet sanding or a repaint.

Did you wipe the area you were working down with diluted IPA or anything in between the different compounds? Did you clean your pads/switch to another when they got caked up? It's pretty hard to go through the clearcoat with just a DA so I wouldn't worry too much about that. You would need a rotary for that and that requires more experience then I currently am comfortable with. The orange peel also won't really be able to be removed with a DA. You would need to wet sand or use a rotary with special pads from my research. Haven't actually delved into that part of detailing to be honest though.

Also, did you follow up with the white pads and a polishing compound after the cutting compound? The cutting compound/pads will leave small scratches so you need to def follow up with a polish to see the best results. I found being in a dark room and then shining a bright spotlight on the area you worked on will show the difference in the paint.

2000 GT - Full Bolt-on's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old July 19th, 2015, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl0udedth0ught View Post
Did you wipe the area you were working down with diluted IPA or anything in between the different compounds?

Nope I didn't. Just wiped down with a new clean microfiber. I watched a youtube video by CG themselves about the chemicals before using them and thats all they did so Idk?

Did you clean your pads/switch to another when they got caked up? Yes I did

It's pretty hard to go through the clearcoat with just a DA so I wouldn't worry too much about that. You would need a rotary for that and that requires more experience then I currently am comfortable with.

Fantastic, thats the main thing I was worried about. I dont expect to get ALL the scratches, I just wanted to get the majority gone and give it as nice of a shine as I can. I dont expect mirror finish

The orange peel also won't really be able to be removed with a DA. You would need to wet sand or use a rotary with special pads from my research. Haven't actually delved into that part of detailing to be honest though.

Thats what I had thought, figured if there was still some orange peel then I had plenty of clear coat left, But logic be damned sometimes.

Also, did you follow up with the white pads and a polishing compound after the cutting compound?

Not yet, but I planned on it. I didnt want to waste a bunch of polish/time polishing it if I was going to be able to cut some more to get rid of more scratches. Starting to thing Ill need some V32 and a harder pad.

The cutting compound/pads will leave small scratches so you need to def follow up with a polish to see the best results. I found being in a dark room and then shining a bright spotlight on the area you worked on will show the difference in the paint.
All in all so far its went from a car that looked damn near Matte to a semi-cared for car. I dont expect miracles just didnt want to mess anything up

As a buffing novice the CG V-series seems stupid proof so far. Doesn't have hardly any dust, doesnt splatter, and wipes off super easy.
post #5 of 5 Old July 20th, 2015, 03:14 PM
Hardcore Devotee

Awesome. Sounds like you are on the right track then. I'd get yourself some microfiber cutting pads for a little more cut. Follow up each pass with a diluted ipa wipe down. Just google it for instructions. This serves two purposes, it removes the oils that are left behind from the compound which will allow you to best see what areas need more work. It will also give you a clean surface to apply a wax or sealant when you are finished removing defects.

2000 GT - Full Bolt-on's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page