Modded Mustang Forums banner

What to buy?

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ChrisJ 
#1 ·
Hey guys, want to start buying some good detailing stuff. In the past, I bought chemical guys stuff and was disappointed.

I would like some recommendations on products. I'd like to do a decent paint correction on the car.

What's a recommended good car wash (shampoo)?
I was going to buy a porter cable, this one okay?

Porter Cable 7424xp Value Kit FREE BONUS

Not sure on what pads I should go with to do a paint correction. There's just little swirls on the car that aren't very noticeable. The front bumper is a little beat up and may need more cutting.

I know my buddy has used meguires stuff and has had good luck?

Any recommendations on wax and glazes?

The more this can be dumbed down, the better... lol. Thanks!

#2 ·
The machine I use is a harbor freight unit. It was like $60 and as far as I have heard, it's as good as the PC.

For pads I use buff and shine. I have a few foam pads and they work fine, but I've really taken to microfiber. For polish I've been using HD Adapt, they don't make it anymore which sucks. I'd be willing to try other HD products or Megs 205 might work for you.

I would suggest coating the car. I did opti-coat on my car, it's incredibly easy to apply. Like a lot easier than a wax and quite a bit longer lasting. Just take your time and make sure you don't have any high spots. You pretty much want to get it as thin as possible.

For a quick detailer or something for quick wipe downs. Ultimate waterless wash plus is a concentrate and it makes SO MUCH spray when diluted. You can also use it for a clay lube.

If you are going to clay the car, don't waste your time with regular clay, the speedy surface prep towel will save you time and you can do way more cars than a regular clay bar.

Buy a **** ton of microfiber towels in bulk, the more the better. I have a few different colors for different parts of the car. DO NOT wash them with anything else, they can get clogged up with cotton fibers and stop working.

Oh and so far, my favorite car soap has been mothers gold. I use it in a foam cannon and I like it more than some of the other stuff I have bought.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info man, I appreciate it. I do like that mothers gold car soap. Does work great.

How are Wolfgang products? Reason I ask, on autogeek I can get a porter cable with the swirl remover and polish for like $170.

Then I figured a sealent/wax over the polish. But I may hit my front bumper with a compound to see if I can get some of the little scratches off the front bumper.

#4 ·
Jeez these forums are slow now. Kind of a bummer.

I bought a good amount of stuff from autogeek. They were having 20% off sale.

Porter cable with orange, white, red and black CCS pads.
Wolfgang total swirl remover 3.0
Wolfgang finishing glaze
Pinnacle cleansing lotion
Collinite 845 wax
Blackfire shampoo
Cobra gold plush microfiber towels

I think that should do pretty good. Paint on my Supra is in pretty good shape. Front bumper is a little beat up, but there's minimal swirls in the paint.

Now I plan on using the Wolfgang swirl remover, then pinnacle cleansing lotion then the collinite 845 over that. Should I use anything else over the collinite? Like a spray carnuba wax?

#5 ·
You won't need anything on that 845, stuff is awesome. I have used it on all my cars in the past. It's so easy to use. You can always top it off with a spray if you want though, no harm there.

#6 ·
Check the pinned post. Still pretty accurate stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.