Forums at Modded Mustangs

Forums at Modded Mustangs (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/)
-   General Tech (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/general-tech/)
-   -   Mach 1 "Clone" (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/general-tech/153351-mach-1-clone.html)

PonyBoy02 February 15th, 2010 07:59 PM

Mach 1 "Clone"

Currently I have a 2002 basically stock GT Mustang. Current mods are: Grill Delete, Chin Spoiler, Tint, Saleen Wheels, and replacement leather boot and Mach 1 Shift knob.

http://i46.tinypic.com/6pco4j.jpg

I have a box of parts sitting in my room waiting to be put on... including a CDC shaker scoop, cold air intake, lowering springs, short throw shifter and mach 1 wheels. I am building a Mach 1 clone... but I don't want to call it a "Mach 1 Clone".

I sat down last night and made a list of every "Looks" mod the 2001 Bullitt had and the 03-04 Mach 1 had, compared to a stock GT of the 2001-04 period.

Some highlights for the Bullitt included" charcoal "corral" grill, spoiler delete, side scoop delete, racing pedals, polished shift ball, polished bezel ring and fog light delete.

Highlights of the Mach included: grill delete, chin spoiler, flat black spoiler, racing pedals, mach 1 shift knob, shaker hood scoop and bent c-pillars.

The stock GT has: spoiler painted to match the car, plastic shift knob, plastic pedals, crappy side scoops, shaky hood scoop... its just boring.

My Mustang is going to include (from the bullitt) Spoiler Delete, Side Scoop Delete, racing pedals, polished shift ball, polished bezel trim (from the mach 1) grill delete, chin spoiler, racing pedals, shift knob, shaker hood scoop (from the stock GT) the beautiful color... SONIC BLUE!

I have a pretty solid list of what I want now, and I have collected all the parts I need to add on. The rest of what I want is cosmetic... such as tri-bar pony emblems to replace the GT emblems, or mach 1 stripe.

Going back to the original idea of this post, I need some opinions on the Mach 1 "fade" stripe. I like the stripe the Mach 1 offers, but it reminds me too much of the rocker stripes 6'ers are branded with.

http://slpimages.com/images/1fafp40474f125974_004.jpg

In 2008 and 2009, the California special mustangs were striped with a fade decal that replaced the "GT" emblems or the "45th anniversary" emblem. The stripe was half way up the side, and ran from the headlight and across the door, fading into the side scoop.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photo...a/3896/a74.jpg

I have also seen a similar rendering from a concept "08 Mach 1"

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/images4/smokeymach.jpg

In your opinion, should I get a Mach 1 stripe and install it half way up the door to mimic a Mach 1 and make my GT a clone? Or should I stick with my GT/Pony emblems and cut the stripe out?

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/time...ckerStripe.jpg

9632valve February 15th, 2010 08:30 PM

Its your car do what you want.

6ER THEN I 8ER! February 15th, 2010 08:31 PM

well...if you're going to clone it clone it all the way...but i prefer to just use a little bit of everything to make a sweet ride....i like the fade, but see if someone sells it with out the MACH 1 on it..

mustanginky February 15th, 2010 08:44 PM

i'm putting a mach 1 hood and trying to find a shaker for my car. already have the original hood, just need the shaker.

PonyBoy02 February 15th, 2010 09:01 PM

Thanks for your input guys! If I could find some with the Ford logo and the fade I would buy them. But that is just photoshop. I think that a stripe with a fade just isn't enough. I don't want to be cliche and have it say "MUSTANG" but I am not 100% sure I want a Mach 1 stripe. Vengance, do you know where I can find fading stripes?

Matt. February 15th, 2010 10:48 PM

Your current car looks great, cant wait to see it when you add more stuff to it.

PonyBoy02 February 15th, 2010 11:22 PM

Thanks Matt, appreciate it man. I can't wait to see it too. I am about to go crazy... can't drive it because of the snow. Won't drive it because of the salt. Poor baby is just sitting in the garage under her cover begging for me to start the modding process :( It sucks getting a Mustang in October. Drove it for two months, then garaged it for 4 :(

warrior86 February 15th, 2010 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicgucci (Post 2640726)
Thanks Matt, appreciate it man. I can't wait to see it too. I am about to go crazy... can't drive it because of the snow. Won't drive it because of the salt. Poor baby is just sitting in the garage under her cover begging for me to start the modding process :( It sucks getting a Mustang in October. Drove it for two months, then garaged it for 4 :(

so move to Florida.. lol

I wish i HAD a garage!! I cover it every night though.. DAMN SPRINKLERS!

PonyBoy02 February 16th, 2010 12:10 AM

LOL Can't move when I'm only 17. That would be nice though

AzSonicSnake February 16th, 2010 12:22 AM

most mach owners ditch the stripe around these parts. thats what i would do honestly...

6DXR February 16th, 2010 12:24 AM

Whuuuut.. The stripe is hawt

PonyBoy02 February 16th, 2010 11:39 AM

Thanks Sonic Snake. I am having mixed feelings about it... I mean its a cool feature, but I would have to spend almost $200 for the stripes plus deal with putting them on. And I wouldn't do it unless I could put them half way up the door, since all Mach 1's have the bottom stripe standard... I need to be unique lol. And I'm not sure I want the mach 1 name on the car.

AzSonicSnake February 16th, 2010 11:41 AM

so, is it done yet? :D cannot wait to see this car... ;)

M.P. Cobra Fan February 16th, 2010 11:48 AM

I agree with AZ, ditch the stripe. Just from the pics you have and the list you are looking at I think it would look sooooo damn clean without stripes. Of course this is my opinion and I am one who likes no stripes and solid colors.

PonyBoy02 February 16th, 2010 12:05 PM

I think that is the way to go... stripeless. The more I think of it, I would probably like them for a month, and then I would get sick of them. But they would be unique... You can see my dilemma. Its probably better that I save my money and use it to pay off my Shaker instead of buying the stripes.

I guess now the question is, should I put the Mach 1 stripe on the hood by the shaker? The 03 and 04 Mach 1 looks sexy with the stripe removed because of the bold hood. But the CDC shaker has the awkward plastic applique that sits on the GT hood. I am painting it sonic blue, but I think it might be weird. Opinions on this?

M.P. Cobra Fan February 16th, 2010 12:07 PM

You can never go wrong with solid colors. I don't like anything that takes away from that, that is why I painted my emblems and billet gas door to match, and aslo blacked out my a pillars.

vita February 16th, 2010 12:10 PM

You could have it painted on. You could ditch the typical stripe and add just a little bit of skew to it. That way, if someone looks at your car who has no idea the difference, no big deal. plus, it will make it more unique. It gives you the chance to not put "Mach 1" or "mustang" on it... write whatever!

PonyBoy02 February 16th, 2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vita (Post 2641881)
You could have it painted on. You could ditch the typical stripe and add just a little bit of skew to it. That way, if someone looks at your car who has no idea the difference, no big deal. plus, it will make it more unique. It gives you the chance to not put "Mach 1" or "mustang" on it... write whatever!

Good point. The only problem with paint... is that it is paint and it won't come off with a razor blade, hairdryer and windex. This is an option though. Thanks for bringing it up!

travis_afx February 16th, 2010 02:06 PM

huhh, i never notice the panel on the hood with the cdc shaker sytem before, dont i feel silly, lol.

IMO if your going to paint that hood panel your body color, then i would not put the hood stripes on, or any other stripes either.

M.P. Cobra Fan February 16th, 2010 02:11 PM

You should listen to Travis, he is a Doctor. :yes

Oh, and if you do decide on stripes, you can always go to the local Flea Market and find the vinyl sticker guy, always about 3 of them in any decent flea market, and have him cut custom stripes for you. Then to quote TI, you can have whateva you like!