detailing and grease removal and jack stands - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old April 10th, 2007, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

detailing and grease removal and jack stands

I don't have a lift, but the underside of my car is really grungy. Any hints for the following:
1) grunge removal in a garage (when you need to clean like 1/4 inch of ick off the bottom of the engine) - degreaser seems to all want rinsing with water, and that's tough to do in a regular garage. Besides, I've tried a few different kinds and I'm close to resorting to a putty knife, nothing seems to do much more than smear the thick stuff. 160k of unkind miles...

2) lifting the thing. ground clearance is kinda low to start. Putting the front on ramps does not help much, if I am underneath looking up, and licked my lips, I'd lick the chassis too (yuck). I'm a little leery of using jack stands to hoist it 2 feet in the air though, especially if I'm crawling underneath it. I do have some 2" x 12"x 18" flat concrete paving blocks, and I was thinking about putting the car on them... basically I'm looking for someone to say yeah, they put the car up that high all the time, no problems, it's sturdier than it looks... Can you put the car up on jackstands all around and it won't fall? Do you just lift the car up in the front really high?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old April 10th, 2007, 05:13 PM

#1) use TB and Choke Cleaner/Break parts cleaner it will disolve the grease and run right off and dry in a minute by its self

#2)use the jack stands they are designed for it the concrete blocks are not this is a no brainier the stands i have are rated for 2 1/2 tons each and your are probably the same trust them i do and ive never been let down or i wouldn't be here today. just always keep the jack under the car too on a lift point not support weight but snug so if god forbid a stand slips the jack will catch the car so u can bail out like a mad man.
post #3 of 8 Old April 10th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 232stang
indeed always have a back up jack to save your ass just in case. what i would do is make my own ramps out of wood. kind of like stairs but not so steep.

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/...amps/index.htm

heres a link. im going to make me some of these. because my bumpers nick my metal ramps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesar2cool
lol i use my car for speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old April 10th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 232stang
indeed always have a back up jack to save your ass just in case. what i would do is make my own ramps out of wood. kind of like stairs but not so steep.

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/...amps/index.htm

heres a link. im going to make me some of these. because my bumpers nick my metal ramps.
good post +1 just make sure ur not buying cheep ass wood or it wont suport the weight.
post #5 of 8 Old April 10th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

no the wood will support it. just you have to worry about the wood splitting from not predrilling holes. like it says in the article the wood laying flat can support your house.

Quote:
post #6 of 8 Old April 10th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Enthusiast

i made ramps just like those and they are REAL STRONG lol, stacking the wood flat liek taht is extremely strong so there is nothing to worry about them breaking

2003 EVO 8
The shop built motor, Precision 6262 w/.82 hotside, tial 44mm wg, Buschur RACE 4" FMIC, Kelford 272s etc

524whp @25psi on straight pump gas.
[email protected] Pump+meth
Race gas number soon.
TheShopCt.com
post #7 of 8 Old April 10th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

that will be for a fast and easy oil change. its such a hassle changing oil sometimes with jackstands. especially when i pay $25 for oil and filter and for the same price i could go somewhere and have it changed....

Quote:
post #8 of 8 Old April 10th, 2007, 08:49 PM
MM Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ujslost
use 4 jack stands and some brake parts cleaner. that shit will clean anything. I use it everyday at work. Dont buy the cheap shit believe me the stuff thats $.70 more is worth it.

1986 Mustang GT t-top time piece!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page