How-To: Make your headunit more theft-proof - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old June 6th, 2011, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

How-To: Make your headunit more theft-proof

alright guys i promised this in a few other threads for a while now in other threads around the forum so i finally got the pics together.

Heres a quick run down on how to make your nice new expensive head unit from walking off on you. I got everything i needed at my closest ACE hardware store. they even crimped the clamps on the cable for me.

what you need:
1/8th-3/16th inch steel cable (you can get it laminated if you want to, i chose not to)
2 cable clamps to make the loops
solid steel mounting point behind the dash
hardware to mount in the dash if you dont already have a bolt to use
machine thread screw that fits in the back of the HU

so to start find your head unit, and pull it out of the dash. now for me i just pull the whole dash kit out, but you can use the stereo removal tools to pull ONLY the HU out if you want to. all these pics came out of my focus, which i painted the dash in, so i taped it off to be safe.

once you have the HU out, (I left all my connections hooked up because i did not want to lose my settings, unplug and remove the HU if needed) estimate the distance between the closest steel mounting point and the back of the HU, and make sure you give yourself plenty of room to bolt the cable to the rear of the HU.

so here is an example of how the steel cable will look

notice how small the loop is so you cant easily slip it passed the screw in either the dash or HU. i used a large washer for the HU to make it nearly impossible to remove. you will have this loop on both ends of the cable. and like i said after i had ACE hardware cut the cable they crimped the clamps on as well for free.

now find a spot on the steel dash to mount one end of the cable to. take your time because the harder it is for you to mount the thing, the harder it is for a thief to try to take it out. in my focus there is a bolt that is reverse from where your looking from that i chose to use.

now that its mounted to the dash its time to mount the other end of the cable to the HU. i have a higher end HU with an aluminum heat sink, but every other HU still has a mounting hole in the back of the deck. its almost dead center. for my heat-sink i chose to use a longer bolt then if it was a smaller heat-sink. for the mounting hardware i chose a allen/hex style bolt because i figured its less likely that a thief would carry a hex key with him to remove it. but if you want you can use a security style bolt that is much harder to remove. they also have multiple styles of security bolts at ACE.

Here is how its mounted on the deck.

once its all together and tightened down just install the HU how it was before and your good to go!

Now just to clarify im not saying this will keep your deck from getting jacked, but for the average rip and pull thief it should stop them.

hammer down on the questions/comments. ill respond as soon as i get a chance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old June 6th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Enthusiast

thats a cool idea, but im almost 100% sure itll jus rip out if yanked on. im my opinion it would be more of a pain but i do a lot of audio work and need to remove the headunit from time to time

No more stang crew

"TAMPA BAY AREA CREW"
post #3 of 14 Old June 6th, 2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

I'm pretty sure the heat sink Is integrated into the chassis of the hu so it shouldn't rip out too easy. If you have the tools it's fairly easy to disconnect. Not sure why pulling the hu would be a popular task for you but whatever works.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old June 6th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Enthusiast

because above 150 db it will skip and i need to pull it out of the dash and hold it to compete....

No more stang crew

"TAMPA BAY AREA CREW"
post #5 of 14 Old June 6th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

the only problem i see is, if someone actually is trying to steal your HU, with those cables in there, they're likely going to tear up the dashboard worse trying to rip it out. it's not a bad plan, i guess, i can just see the rest of the car getting destroyed lol.

Procharged 2000 5 Speed BAB GT, built motor, blower cams, 10 lbs, lee blankenship tune 430/405

HARDCORE CREW

BRIGHT ATLANTIC BLUE CREW #1 MEMBER
post #6 of 14 Old June 6th, 2011, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

if you want you can get the plastic laminated cable that wouldnt do nearly as much damage as the raw steel cable could

post #7 of 14 Old June 6th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Enthusiast

Either way it def will cause a major prevention point to most thieves

No more stang crew

"TAMPA BAY AREA CREW"
post #8 of 14 Old June 11th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Regular

Now I don't believe in stealing personally BUT if I was to break into your vehicle with this "safety" mod; all would happen is more pain on your side.

I know for a fact I could rip that cable right off there. Dash damage from the jerk, maybe damage to the radio (so you both sides are damaged).
post #9 of 14 Old June 11th, 2011, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Like i said earlier, this isnt a fool proof method. The shorter you make the cable the harder it is to get to, or even pull the headunit out of the dash at all. Its a great deterrent for the average smash and grab thief.

a friend of mine had his truck broken into, they were smart enough to pry under the door handle and open it without setting off any sort of factory alarm, but they werent smart enough to even get the HU out of the dash, let alone rip it out with the cable in place.

post #10 of 14 Old June 11th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wraitherx Send a message via Yahoo to wraitherx
thats a good idea. I can recall something similar on jeep wranglers. The radio had a "U" shaped rounded metal bar attached to them. The ends would have horizontal extensions to it that were then bolted to the front metal bar that the windshield sits on top of. You would have to take the defrost vent off to get the 2 bolts out and they were not easy to get to. Great theft deterent but at the same time the dash would be messed up by the time they knew that it was attached like that but at the same time thats what insurance is for

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Built
2011 Ford Taurus SHO TT AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towelie View Post
he spent all the time
thinking about if it could be done, and not thinking about if it should be done
post #11 of 14 Old June 11th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Doc

I just take off the face plate and take it with me rendering the unit trash without it. Just a thought.

post #12 of 14 Old June 12th, 2011, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraitherx View Post
thats a good idea. I can recall something similar on jeep wranglers. The radio had a "U" shaped rounded metal bar attached to them. The ends would have horizontal extensions to it that were then bolted to the front metal bar that the windshield sits on top of. You would have to take the defrost vent off to get the 2 bolts out and they were not easy to get to. Great theft deterent but at the same time the dash would be messed up by the time they knew that it was attached like that but at the same time thats what insurance is for
haha personally i would rather have a trashed dash cover that i can replace for less then 30$ then have my 250$ HU walk off on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMUSN View Post
I just take off the face plate and take it with me rendering the unit trash without it. Just a thought.
true but you can buy new faceplates for a fraction of what the HU is really worth. And i always take or hide the faceplate anyway, but that doesnt mean someone wouldnt try to steal it anyway

post #13 of 14 Old June 13th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Regular

The whole taking the face plate is a good idea for the single din radios. Most people who steal radios won't take it without the faceplate simply because the face is usually more than what they'll get.

For example, the radio that came in my old chevy truck years ago worked fine. Only problem was that the face was on it's last string. Radio was est. $100 new (probably $50 current) - Face was $350 new.

Seriously?
post #14 of 14 Old June 13th, 2011, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

sounds retarded haha, last time i looked for a faceplate it was 70$ for an alpine ipod deck with a screen in it. the hu was like 225$ new i think

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page