How to paint your stock rims black with a paint gun. - Page 2 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old April 9th, 2012, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

you can. But if you don't have any of this equipment then you could substitute the paint gun/aircompressor for rattle cans. just make sure that you clear them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old April 20th, 2012, 04:59 AM
Regular

Not to show-off, or anything but here's mine. Same method, except I took my rims to the aluminum. I took-off all the coating and used rattle cans. I laid a good primer base, used a flat black, then a sealant that shined it right-up. My only complaint is my brakes

post #23 of 30 Old May 10th, 2012, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

on the center cap you should have left the indentations area silver still and painted the horse black. i think it would have looked a lot better like that. Good job none the less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 Old October 4th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv_10 View Post
You don't need to wetsand them. A scotchbrite pad is more than sufficient enough to rough up the surface enough to allow the paint to stick to it. I would say the SB pad works better because it allows you to get into those nooks and crannies easier. Although, you can wet sand the surface first with 800 grit to get a smoother finish and finish it off with a scotch brite pad.
Okay, so you would do the 800 grit before the Scotch Brite. I am a novice and will paint my wheels in the next few days so I want to make sure I do it right. However, I am not using a paint sprayer. I have VHT Wheel Paint that I am using. Is that okay...
post #25 of 30 Old October 4th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_6er View Post
so many people have asked me about this i am just going to do a write-up. sorry but i don't have many pics.

What you will need:
HVLP paint gun (or any paint gun, doesn't matter)
Air compressor
all the shit you need for the paint gun (regulator, etc.)
Paint
Hardener
Activator
Red Scotch bright pads (i used like 5 or 6)
Tac-cloth
newspaper
masking tape
water
degreasing soap (purple soap, simple green, etc.)
jackstands
jack
respirator

1.Well first, you need to get the wheels off of the car. you should know how to do this by now.

2.You need to first clean you rims with the degreasing agent pretty well.

3. take your scotch bright pads and scuff up your wheels. You have to make sure that you get every crack and crevis really good.

4. repeat step 2.

5. take your newspaper and masking tape and cover up you tires (unless you are getting new ones soon or just don't care if your tires get painted aswell)

6. get your paint ready by using the hardener and activator and set your gun up according to what is recommended by your paint supplier.

7. wipe your rims down with a tac-cloth and get them up on something so they will be easier to paint.

8. begin painting your rims STARTING WITH THE BACK SIDE FIRST (hold the gun about 6-12" away from the rim as you paint.) you may want someone else there to help you turn the rim so you can get the top coated well. your first coat will be very light and just get most of the surface misted over and let that flash for 10 - 15 minutes depending on the weather. your second coat will be a medium coat and you should have the rim 95% coated by this coat then let it flash for 10 - 15 mins depending on the weather. the third coat will only be to fill in the spots that u didn't get very well then let it flash for 5 - 10 mins. turn you rim so you can get to the front and begin painting the front painting the same way you did the back (i set the wheel down on its back when i painted the front to make it easier on myself and to make it easier to paint).

9. repeat step 8 for the other 3 rims.

10. wait for the rim to dry for ATLEAST one day. i would recommend you wait 2 - 3 days before installation but i put mine on like the day after lol.

11. unwrap your rims and put them on the car, stand back and go "DDDAAAAMMMNNNN those look good".

12. wait about a week - 2 weeks then clean the wheels and wax them to help protect the finish.

13. rep me for taking the time to write this .

side notes: i didn't clear the wheels just simply because that acrylic enamel is hard as shit and hasn't flaked off and i have have my wheels painted for like a month. if i left anything out let me know. i will try and work on getting some pics.
Trying to find Red Scotch Brite pads. I cannot seem to find the right ones are there are so many Scotch Brite pads. Can you point me in the right direction?
post #26 of 30 Old February 27th, 2013, 02:33 AM
Regular

Re: How to paint your stock rims black with a paint gun.

Doesn't have to be scotch brite brand. Go to your local auto parts store and ask for red scuff pads.
post #27 of 30 Old February 29th, 2016, 02:11 AM
Regular

This is great! I've always wanted to do this. Thanks for sharing

1999 Auto V6 3.8L 35th Anniversary

CAI + True Duals Exhaust

17inch SVT rims, mach1grille delete, 8inch shorty antenna, 35% tint

hopefully's: Tuner, UDP's, possibly 4.10 Gears, lighter driveshaft
post #28 of 30 Old April 15th, 2016, 12:29 PM
Look Ma! My First Post!

Was thinking of going Plasti Dip on my rims, but the painted ones look badass too.
post #29 of 30 Old April 25th, 2016, 10:31 PM
Hardcore Devotee

This thread is super old....
Mr_Calypso likes this.

2000 GT - Full Bolt-on's

post #30 of 30 Old April 25th, 2016, 10:48 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page