I think my factory Amp is bad, can i use a '99-'04 one? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old August 4th, 2015, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Efficiency is Performance

Garage
I think my factory Amp is bad, can i use a '99-'04 one?

I think my amp is bad because even when I purchaced a new radio and four new speakers, the front speakers are very faint (mainly the front drivers side). Its pretty much has always been this way since Ive bought the car used.

Well I can't seem to find a new factory amp at all, so I was wondering if I could use the closest to a good used one and get a '99-'04 factory amp for my '95 from a junkyard. Will this work for me?

'95 4.2L V6 Mustang 5-speed
'13 Fusion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old August 4th, 2015, 01:06 AM
MM Fanatic

What radio do u have? My old radio in my 98 wasnt working so I swapped in a stocker that did work but it wouldnt work. It would do the same thing where itd only work faintly when the volume was all the way up. Well come to find out it was the radio and reinstalling the old radio and messing with the wires fixed it. Plus most aftermarket radios bypass the stock amps anyway.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #3 of 6 Old August 4th, 2015, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07gtS197 View Post
What radio do u have? My old radio in my 98 wasnt working so I swapped in a stocker that did work but it wouldnt work. It would do the same thing where itd only work faintly when the volume was all the way up. Well come to find out it was the radio and reinstalling the old radio and messing with the wires fixed it. Plus most aftermarket radios bypass the stock amps anyway.

I have a new radio from like best buy, but not very expensive. I've even gotten wire directly from the front drivers speaker into the new radio, but I think even the new radio didnt come with an amp itself since its still sounds very low but just in that speaker, even if I change it around to the other new speakers. So Im hoping changing the amp will correct my issue. The two back speakers are the only good sounding ones.

'13 Fusion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old August 4th, 2015, 10:36 PM
MM Fanatic

Ohhh so youre saying the front speakers are bad but the rears work ok? In that case it could be the amps but, like I said, any aftermarket radio will have a built in amp thatll bypass the factory amps. Did you make sure everything is hooked up correctly? Post up some pics of the wiring if you can

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #5 of 6 Old August 10th, 2015, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
To my knowledge everything is hooked up correctly. I get sound off the frond speakers, but just barely. Ill try replacing the factory amp and posting back to see if it did the trick.

'13 Fusion
post #6 of 6 Old September 6th, 2015, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I went to the junkyard today to get an Amp from the latest mustang possible. But I noticed that from the +'01 years didnt have the factory amps underneath the radio deck anymore. So I got myself an '00 year amp. It was about $10.

It looks different than the factory amp in my car year ('95) but the connections and bolts were the exact same match. Hooks right up. Once I got it set up and turned on the radio, it sounded great, way better than before. But I was still having an issue with the drivers side front speaker not working. So I looked up a good amp wiring diagram for my mustang year. And wired my own wires directly from the amp to the speaker (seriously the wire colors change three times, from the radio to the amp, then to a wiring harness, then to the speaker) so doing my own wiring was the best bet, cause it worked!

Now Im blasting my tunes the way they should have been from the start.

'13 Fusion

Last edited by izzy1111; September 7th, 2015 at 11:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page