1999 GT Audio Upgrade - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1MeanNonPI2v

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old November 10th, 2015, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Jump up and get down!

Garage
1999 GT Audio Upgrade

With my car hitting the road here soon one of the first things I want to tackle, save for making it legal and run right, is get the audio system running right. As best as I can remember, I've only seen the car a few times since I got it, it has the Mach 460 system in it (amps may be bypassed, I'm unsure of this). I've already picked up an Alpine head unit and harness, just gotta splice it and plug it in.

I'm looking for some recommendations for speakers. I've always leaned towards Kenwood and Alpine as they're easy to find in various sizes, for not a whole lot of money.

What do you guys run in your 99-04's, and what kind of setup do you have?

1999 Mustang GT (Farrah/ONESLO2V)
-Bolt ons
-T45 Swap
-Project car
IG: jd_alphin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old November 10th, 2015, 06:04 PM
The Dude Abides

Garage
First you have to decide if you are going to power your speakers off the head unit or a dedicated amplifier. If you are powering them off the head unit, just about any coaxial speak will do. If you are using an amp, choose speaker to match your amp's RMS power output or choose speakers, then an amp that will safely power them. Watts RMS is the critical number as that is the constant power output, not maximum peak output.

I am running a JL Audio Slash 300/4 amp for my door speaker and rear shelf. I have JL XR series 6x8 component woofers with crossovers and tweeters in front, and Eclipse 6.5" components for the rear. An older Alpine double din TV head unit will run the show, with a 400 watt RMS Diamond Audio mono amp for my Diamond D6-10V2 sub. I will have a 1.5 farad capacitor giving additional assistance to the sub amp when power is in high demand. Most of the stuff I am running is discontinued, but newer versions are available.

When buying a new deck, pick one with mirror link, that will run your smart phone apps directly through the head unit.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - The Dude

"If you can't hear it before you see it, what's the point?" - Jesse James
post #3 of 6 Old November 10th, 2015, 07:53 PM
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

Garage
Im pretty happy with my setup. Mach 460 controled by kenwood excalon hu, and a kicker cvr 102 in a sealed box powered by a kenwood excalon 300w rms amp. Thing sounds good, the sub thumps, and it was light on the wallet considering i only added a sub and replaced the hu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
boattlebot knows what's up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old November 12th, 2015, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Jump up and get down!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MeanNonPI2v View Post
First you have to decide if you are going to power your speakers off the head unit or a dedicated amplifier. If you are powering them off the head unit, just about any coaxial speak will do. If you are using an amp, choose speaker to match your amp's RMS power output or choose speakers, then an amp that will safely power them. Watts RMS is the critical number as that is the constant power output, not maximum peak output.

I am running a JL Audio Slash 300/4 amp for my door speaker and rear shelf. I have JL XR series 6x8 component woofers with crossovers and tweeters in front, and Eclipse 6.5" components for the rear. An older Alpine double din TV head unit will run the show, with a 400 watt RMS Diamond Audio mono amp for my Diamond D6-10V2 sub. I will have a 1.5 farad capacitor giving additional assistance to the sub amp when power is in high demand. Most of the stuff I am running is discontinued, but newer versions are available.

When buying a new deck, pick one with mirror link, that will run your smart phone apps directly through the head unit.
How do your JL's and Eclipse components sound? I know everyone's taste for sound is different. Are they full bodied, or do they push more towards the low or high end of the sound spectrum?

1999 Mustang GT (Farrah/ONESLO2V)
-Bolt ons
-T45 Swap
-Project car
IG: jd_alphin
post #5 of 6 Old November 12th, 2015, 11:20 AM
The Dude Abides

Garage
I would say my JL components are the best speaker I have ever purchased. The 6x8 woofer provides lots of healthy mid range and the tweeter is crystal clear. The Eclipse components are good, but not as awesome as the JL.
JDAlphin likes this.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - The Dude

"If you can't hear it before you see it, what's the point?" - Jesse James
post #6 of 6 Old February 12th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Regular

Send a message via AIM to fmsida
Lets us know what you decide on, I am going to be upgrading the audio in the near future so I am keeping an eye out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page