fuel gauge not working after fuel pum[ install - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old November 26th, 2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Regular

fuel gauge not working after fuel pum[ install

hey guys, so 2 days ago I installed a new airtex fuel pump in my 1998 gt. when i put the fuel pump assembly in its holder i stuck my hand in to make sure the float moved up and down. so when i turned on the car intially after install it read empty which was correct because the tank was dry, then i put in about 3 gallons of gas and it read las then quarter tank full. then i drove to the gas station and filled up, thats were the problem started, the gauge read 3/4 of a tank full when i fully topped off the tank and has been stuck there ever since. I'm going to drop the tank again this weekend, just annoys me to do somethingg twice. so you guys have any suggestions as to what it could be? I think i'm just going to switch this new pump into my old assembly because i know my old send unit works i just switched it cuz i didnt want it going out.
thanks for the suggextions in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old November 26th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Hooo Ha Ha

Send a message via AIM to sharkbait
Did you reconnect the vacum line when re installing the tank? Theres a vacum line hose thats connect near the back of the tank (when your facing the rear of the car). Make sure that is re connected.

853rwhp @ 23psi
75mm Turbo 5.4 swap E85
#turbo2v

10.11 @ 138mph STOCK LONGBLOCK
9.11 @ 149mph - New Longblock /w Powerglide

www.JPCracing.com 410-729-0005 ext. 11

PM me if you need any parts or advice!
post #3 of 13 Old November 26th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Enthusiast

i would check that vacuum line. if you did the swap correctly and didnt manage to break anything, theres no reason why it shouldnt work as it did before. thats

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old November 26th, 2009, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Regular

yea the vaccum line was connected, theres only one way the pump can ift in the carriage right? after i stuck the pump assembly in the carriage i made sure it could not pull out and i stuck my hand in to make sure the float went up and down without being stuck. i think i got a defective unit
post #5 of 13 Old November 26th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Procrastinator

is it possible that you would have bent the float? When I had my gas tank apart I had considered bending it some so that it would read empty early.
post #6 of 13 Old August 11th, 2010, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Regular

anymore ideas on this, i just pulled out the fuel pump again and reinstalled it and still does this, it never did this till i replaced the fuel pump

KNN FIPK kit, Hid headlights, MGW short shifter, Offroad BBK x-pipe, 4.10 gears.
post #7 of 13 Old August 11th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast

the float, sending unit or vac line..thats about all it could be unless the actuall guage itself is messed up
post #8 of 13 Old August 11th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Regular

weird, could just be the guage cuz ive never had any work done to any of my fuel parts but my needle goes 1/4th tank past full when i fill up and then im out of gas at an 1/8th tank but pissing my pants if i drop under a 1/4 cuz the needle is tricky iv ran outta gas a couple times lol dunno if that helps but 2 cents for ya.

PI Manifold. 75mm tb/plenum. Magnaflow X pipe. FR driveshaft. MGW shifter. New brakes and clutch stuff.
post #9 of 13 Old August 11th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveStangs88 View Post
weird, could just be the guage cuz ive never had any work done to any of my fuel parts but my needle goes 1/4th tank past full when i fill up and then im out of gas at an 1/8th tank but pissing my pants if i drop under a 1/4 cuz the needle is tricky iv ran outta gas a couple times lol dunno if that helps but 2 cents for ya.

Sounds like someone pulled your needles off and didn't get them back on right. Do you have aftermarket guages?

either way you can pull the cluster face off and use a fork to remove the needle and put it back in the right place.

MODS IN GARAGE

All SVO'D UP
post #10 of 13 Old August 12th, 2010, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Regular

no its totally stock, before my fuel pump when out the gauge worked totally fine, i changed the whole fuel pump and module and the needle would move to 3/4 tank full when the tank was actually full, and when it was empty it would read 1/4 full still, so then i using the stock sending unit and just installed that in, now the gauge just reads full and it been that way for 60 miles now. hardly any movement, it seems like the fuel pump assembly can go only one way in the cradle, and i made sure it is snapped in, i even stuck my hand in and made sure the float moves up and down. the float is pointed at the driver side rear wheel. i made sure the vaccum lines are hooked up too. im so lost.

KNN FIPK kit, Hid headlights, MGW short shifter, Offroad BBK x-pipe, 4.10 gears.
post #11 of 13 Old August 12th, 2010, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Regular

i have a feeling im not installing the fuel pump correctly into the basket, can someone tell me how i get it into the basket the right way? people say its kind of trickey. ive pulled the damn fuel pump assembly 4 times now...

post #12 of 13 Old August 13th, 2010, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Regular

which way should the float point? to the driver side or passenger side?

post #13 of 13 Old August 13th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2

Hell dude, I don't know. But I guess you could just do it the opposite way than you have been if you think thats the problem.

MODS IN GARAGE

All SVO'D UP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page