2010 bolt on mods - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old February 21st, 2010, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

2010 bolt on mods

I have what I guess you could call a small list of the basic bolt on mods...headers xpipe, cams, ud pulleys, deletes, short shifters...etc. If anyone wants I can list what I have used so far and my hp/tq gains from these mods. I have a few strong opinions good and bad about a few of these bolt ons.

MODS IN GARAGE

www.wotmustangs.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by drazga97 View Post
whats with you and humming drummers nuts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.P. Cobra Fan View Post

Now do like SVTwannapenisinmymouth and enjoy the site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old February 27th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Toy
Regular

I'm in. I've already done the JLT CAI + SCT tune, BBK 62mm TB, and Pypes Violators out back. Got no complaints so far. What are you running?
post #3 of 14 Old March 4th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Regular

I'm interested too. I have a list I'm working on and am always looking for new ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old March 4th, 2010, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

mods so far are bbk twin 62mm throttle body, steeda cold air intake, steeda underdrive pulleys, steeda charge motion deletes, rousch short shifter, sct livewire tuner, comp cams xfi nsr stage II cams, spec stage II clutch, kooks long tube headers and catted x pipe and corsa axle backs.

MODS IN GARAGE

www.wotmustangs.com

Quote:
Quote:

post #5 of 14 Old March 4th, 2010, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

I ran the jlt at first on my 2010 which was pretty decent. I ran it until someone actually could tune for the new steeda cold air intake. I noticed that the steeda intake made the stang pull a lil bit harder on an email tune and i really noticed a difference after the cams and exhuast. the jlt cai is pretty good but on a 2010 steeda has the best cold air intake out there. It was also the best intake I found for my 06 as well. Also another thing I discovered was the sct tunes and brenspeed and practically every other email tuner out there to include steeda....well there tunes pretty much suck lol. I noticed a difference with there tunes but when I got my car dyno'd after the cams i pulled 15 more rwhp then I did with there 93 performance/race tune. Not to mention my afr was way way way super off. Like so rich i'm suprised I wasnt throwing flames out my exhaust.... The email tunes are ok but when your talking hp per dollars. pay 100 bucks for a dyno pull and grab another 10rwhp atleast. 10bucks a horse isnt a bad deal.

MODS IN GARAGE

www.wotmustangs.com

Quote:
Quote:

post #6 of 14 Old March 4th, 2010, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Ok so basically this is my experience with the bolt on mods for the 2010's. This is just my opinion and the results I got as far as how the car performed and how it ran on the dyno after the mod.
Steeda cold air intake: best cai for the 2010 available. I netted a 20hp gain out of this mod. There a bit pricey but they look good under the hood and they work. Always had awesome luck with Steeda's products.

Steeda Under drive Pulleys: I got pretty minimal gains out of these. Maybe 5hp. But for the money i wasnt really upset about the gains I got out of them.

Steeda charge motion deletes: These are freakin awesome. I pulled 15 more rwhp with these in my 2010. I also had cams cai and a few other mods when installed but for like 100 bucks...thats what I think they cost me, who can argue.

BBK twin 62mm throttle body: For 300 bucks I was pretty disapointed with the tb. It really didnt make a noticeable difference in performance to me, except for a new whistly sound lol. I wasnt expecting much but I still thinks its necessary if your going for more than 400rwhp. I think the tb will shine on the stang once I port polish the heads and break that 400rwhp marker.

Comp Cams Stage II xfi nsr cams: Ok firstly, Dont make the mistake I did. Buy the vsr cams and spend that extra bit of money for the valve springs. The nsr cams really really fell short of what they advertised. With this config on my stang : comp cams, steeda cai, bbk twin tb I only made 310rwhp.....where the heck is this 30hp that comp cams is advertising on a stock mustang....cause I sure didnt see it. If your going to spend the money on cams just shell out the extra bucks and get the vsr's. My friend did that and pulled 40rwhp out of his STOCK 2010. I'm still pissed about that lol.

Kooks Long tube headers catted x pipe combo: You can pick this up for around 1400 bucks...I know thats a bit pricy for what most people are willing to spend on headers and x pipe but you get what you pay for here. I went from 330rwhp to 370rwhp with this combo and I even richened up the tune a bit to make the tune a lil safer for everyday driving. These are hands down the best header x pipe combo you can buy. Before we messed with the tune i had 378 rwhp.....and on top of that they sound absolutely nasty awesome with my corsa axle backs.

Rousch Short Throw Shifter: Easy install, easy on the wallet, works great no complaints from me. I dont know how this shifter compares to other 2010 short shifters as this was the only one out when I bought it lol. However I did this install at the same time as my friend put his short throw shifter on his 08 and my throws were atleast 1/2" shorter. Only thing I didnt like was it didnt come with any grease???? But I went out got some and it shifted smooth. Never had an issue with it since.

SCT Livewire Tuner: Sometimes more expensive is not better. The tuner works fine but as far as spending the extra cash for the big display and data logging.....pish...not worth it. Its in the way anywhere you try to mount it. The cord is a hassle. In retrospect I would just have bought the sx3 and spent the extra cash on suspension. I also have had several issues with the livewire. My dyno guy since then has told me that all the issues with sct he has are the livewires. He's never had an issue with the sx3.

MODS IN GARAGE

www.wotmustangs.com

Quote:
Quote:

post #7 of 14 Old March 4th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!

Send a message via Yahoo to psycho bob
i say just go with the spr's over the vsr's. you're already in there might as well get the phase limiters also.

my newest toy

post #8 of 14 Old March 4th, 2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Well I think most of the vsr's require the phase limiters as well anyway. I'm pretty sure the comp cams vsr's do. Thats what my buddy did and his hp gains were double what I saw and his mustang is stock. I thought my cams would net more than they did just because of my other mods but turns out i was wrong lol.

MODS IN GARAGE

www.wotmustangs.com

Quote:
Quote:

post #9 of 14 Old March 5th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Regular

I'm looking at the Kook's Long tube headers as well. What size did you get? I'm thinking 1 7/8th plus getting the catted X-pipe.
post #10 of 14 Old March 5th, 2010, 03:39 AM
Regular

I know nothing about replacing cams. How difficult of a job was it? Any info you have would be great.
post #11 of 14 Old March 5th, 2010, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

I cant remember the size. I know that the headers and x pipe came in a combo specifically for the 2010 gt's.

MODS IN GARAGE

www.wotmustangs.com

Quote:
Quote:

post #12 of 14 Old March 5th, 2010, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Well the cams were pretty easy. The nsr's are super easy to install if you have just a bit of mechanical know how. You can get a tool that looks like a little wedge on a hanger and it basically holds the timing chain taught while you remove the cam so you don't change the timing. You can do it in about three or four hours with the nsr's but I dont recommend them...not enough of a change in rwhp for the 800 bucks there gonna run you. If your going to do the valve springs and phase limiters I would say take it to a shop and let them do it unless you have some mechanical experience changing valves out. But if your insistent on doing it yourself its pretty much get your cai and the fuel rails out of there and then remove the valve covers and there sit the cams. bust em out drop the new ones in with liberal amounts of lube slap everything back together retune and break em in.

MODS IN GARAGE

www.wotmustangs.com

Quote:
Quote:

post #13 of 14 Old March 13th, 2010, 01:57 AM
Regular

Yeah, it sounds like I would take it to the shop. There are some things I'll do by myself but this doesn't sound like one of them. Do you know anything about the ceremic coating on certain models of headers? Are they worth the extra money? Just trying to get some opinions. Thanks and take care.
post #14 of 14 Old March 19th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Toy
Regular

I've been looking at the charge motion deletes. Did steeda provide the tune for these, or did you just have to make adjustments withe the SF3?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page