Turbo - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old July 9th, 2011, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Turbo

I been looking to find some info on trying to turbo my mustang its a 97 gt npi motor with almost full bolt ons. If i were to turbo the car would i need 2 or just 1? Will it have to be rear mounted? If i wanted to turbo it now then pi swap in the future can i still use the same turbos an stuff an what kinda hp numbers could i be looking at?

97 Gt pi swapped with bolt ons. 315/327
99 Gt 35th 397/403 V2 S trim 10lbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old July 9th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2

If you are running stock internals you would want to stick with a single turbo setup. Twin turbos will generally run upwards of 20+lbs of boost.

You should be able to use either set of heads with a good kit.

You can rear mount it if you want a sleeper look or you can front mount it like most people do. The choice is entirely yours but the rear mount would require some extra tubing work with the exhaust.

Your numbers will depend on how much boost you run and what other supporting mods you add with it.

MODS IN GARAGE

All SVO'D UP
post #3 of 40 Old July 9th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Still slow.

Dont pi swap. I'd only do pi intake and a stage two cam and stock npi heads. You can run more boost with npi heads then pi heads do to pi heads having greater compression. That set up was imo btw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old July 9th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Wanna be show worthy.

Dont rear mount those turbo(s), Show them off with pride

Mods: -Eibach Pro Kit - K&N - Tuned for 91 octane - SLP - Visual Shit-

i love Uranus
post #5 of 40 Old July 9th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Regular

mm&ff just did an article on turbos... they did a stock 5.0 and got 450hp out of it. That'll be less rwhp, but a similar setup on a 4.6 (76mm turbo) should be able to get around 400 rwhp safely. You can piece together a kit from cxracing for less than $2000. That is my plan anyway!

post #6 of 40 Old July 10th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Banned

.............i wanna turbo also,would this engine ever be sick turbo. but im broke and not that tallented to get it done.But i know now with my new uopgrades i can smash my old 14.88 time...when you get started make shur to post up pics of the build..
post #7 of 40 Old July 10th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasinEdward View Post
mm&ff just did an article on turbos... they did a stock 5.0 and got 450hp out of it. That'll be less rwhp, but a similar setup on a 4.6 (76mm turbo) should be able to get around 400 rwhp safely. You can piece together a kit from cxracing for less than $2000. That is my plan anyway!

There is no way a turbo alone is going to get you 400rwhp. Iv'e got stage 2 cams, a .020+ bore, race heads, a positive displacement blower with 6psi and a custom dyno tune and I am only getting 375 at the rears.

MODS IN GARAGE

All SVO'D UP
post #8 of 40 Old July 10th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97S281 View Post
There is no way a turbo alone is going to get you 400rwhp. Iv'e got stage 2 cams, a .020+ bore, race heads, a positive displacement blower with 6psi and a custom dyno tune and I am only getting 375 at the rears.
Are those blower specific cams? And what heads? What kind of dyno was that on? With stock everything you could run 9 or 10psi on a turbo and 400rwhp I'm sure. Nothing else. I'm. Running 8psi on my rear mount setup and making 388whp with stock npi heads and intake. Granted its on e85 but still.
post #9 of 40 Old July 10th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Regular

But to answer the op's ?, just like others said, depending on the boost and if you wanna build the internals, those will be most determining. Most stock stock turbo 2v's will make between [email protected] 7-10psi Just like 96gt said, if you swap the pi heads on our motors the compression raises. It will make more power per psi but the stock bottom end won't like much more than 8psi with the higher comp. If you're gonna swap heads... might as well do a 4v swap
post #10 of 40 Old July 11th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteedaX47 View Post
Are those blower specific cams? And what heads? What kind of dyno was that on? With stock everything you could run 9 or 10psi on a turbo and 400rwhp I'm sure. Nothing else. I'm. Running 8psi on my rear mount setup and making 388whp with stock npi heads and intake. Granted its on e85 but still.

MPH stage 2 blower cams/ custom ground.

Svo modular ported and polished race heads with a 3 angle valve job.

Not sure on the brand of dyno.

I have forged the internals. I plan on at least 10psi in the near future ( I am going to be adding water meth in the next two months and swapping the pulley for more boost. ) and may possably swap to an s-trim vortec or twins in the long run. I have to finish paying off the current setup first. Basically I have a great building block for more power but need a better blower setup.

MODS IN GARAGE

All SVO'D UP

Last edited by 97S281; July 11th, 2011 at 10:08 PM.
post #11 of 40 Old July 12th, 2011, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Regular

what kind hp range could i be looking at if i kept npi heads but port en polished them an forged the bottem end an get good cams then turbo??

Last edited by Jhoward93; July 25th, 2011 at 01:42 AM.
post #12 of 40 Old July 25th, 2011, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Where is a good place to find a good turbo kit or is it best to piece 1 together?

post #13 of 40 Old July 25th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Regular

On3performance.com has kits. I'm planning on getting one this winter, but for front mounted turbo you need to relocate the coil pack. Does anyone know how to do that?
post #14 of 40 Old July 26th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectGT View Post
On3performance.com has kits. I'm planning on getting one this winter, but for front mounted turbo you need to relocate the coil pack. Does anyone know how to do that?
How about converting to coil on plugs and get rid of the coil packs?

96 GT vert, Aftercooled Vortech, Lightning MAF,42# inj, saleen cams, Bullitt intake, tune by APS, powerpipe, Magnaflow catback and O/R xpipe, Cobra brk upgrade, lowered bilstein suspension w/MM c/c plates and subframe connectors 3000 stall and 3.73's
post #15 of 40 Old July 26th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
If you are running stock internals you would want to stick with a single turbo setup. Twin turbos will generally run upwards of 20+lbs of boost.

You should be able to use either set of heads with a good kit.

You can rear mount it if you want a sleeper look or you can front mount it like most people do. The choice is entirely yours but the rear mount would require some extra tubing work with the exhaust.

Your numbers will depend on how much boost you run and what other supporting mods you add with it.
you are on the right track...if he is running stock internals and is planning on running them for a while, a single maybe 61mm is what i would go with. A single can run above 20psi as well as twins. And Twins can also be run on as little as 6-8psi of boost. I wouldn't recommend going with a rear mount...there is always a problem with spool up when going with a rear mount because there is just so much piping between the motor and turbo. And not to mention having to run a separate oil pump just to get the oil draining from the turbo back to the motor that is bound to go bad. The simpler the better.

My car is a 97 Cobra but has a GT short block with GT internals, and with a 61mm turbo the car makes boost before 3k rpm and makes 410rwhp on the dyno at 10psi. My b/f hasn't dyno'd his car, yet...but he has a 97 Cobra with stock heads, stock block, stock crank, stock style cams with manley rods and diamond pistons with twin 60-1 Master Power turbo's, and his car on about 7-8psi is about as fast as my car (I may pull him a tad). But since he's got the motor, he's gotten the car to see 21psi a few times, and trapped 151mph at the track...so it has a ton of versatility going on.

Quote:
No offense, but IMO, and it's been proven over and over again...turbo's are better and more efficient than blowers. His car on 10psi with say a 61 or even 67mm turbo will easily make over 400rwhp. Blowers need power to make power...the run off the crank of the motor. Turbo's work off exhaust heat and pressure. They are 2 completely different animals.

To the OP: If you are looking to keep it more of a street car making maybe 500-550rwhp max when all said and done, I would just stick with a single 61mm or 67mm. The car would run quite a while with stock internals and on 8psi with a good tune, and that would give you pretty close to 400rwhp if not 400. A single that size would be good for about 600-700 engine hp max, but will still be small enough to spool up pretty quickly.
post #16 of 40 Old July 27th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

alot of people seem to neglect that when building your own twin kit for the 2v....WTF do you do about manifolds????

i wanted to build my own twin kit but with what it would cost to have custom manifolds made...your better of running singles and using a y pipe setup off the stock manifolds like on3, hp, quicktime etc etc use...

2004 40th Anni Redfire GT- Cold air, Magnapack Catback, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, Mach 1 Grille Delete, Cobra Mirrors, 18x9/10 Chrome Saleens
post #17 of 40 Old July 28th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedstang302 View Post
alot of people seem to neglect that when building your own twin kit for the 2v....WTF do you do about manifolds????

i wanted to build my own twin kit but with what it would cost to have custom manifolds made...your better of running singles and using a y pipe setup off the stock manifolds like on3, hp, quicktime etc etc use...
Keep your stock manifolds and flip them. 1 Turbo per manifold...downpipes can go down into an x pipe then continued on back to the catback. You basically would just have to do some moving around in the engine by, or get crazy and mount them in the fenders, behind the bumper...anywhere you want! This is the custom kit my b/f built... (he built the kit, intake, everything from scratch).

post #18 of 40 Old July 28th, 2011, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Regular

single tubro setup with forged bottem end what kinda hp could i be looking at?

post #19 of 40 Old July 28th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Granny Shifter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to NO_PI_NO_POWER Send a message via Yahoo to NO_PI_NO_POWER Send a message via Skype™ to NO_PI_NO_POWER
Quote:
You can always add boost until it makes "the number".

Little Blower, Low Boost, sounds like a good number.

I've seen twin 50's sprung as low as 5psi, basically instant spool at 3,000rpm + on a 98 Cobra. The HP kit is also kind of stealthy, cruising around doesn't make a whole lot of noise until you floor it, and under the hood, there isnt a whole lot in your face, couple of exhaust pipes and wastegates down low, and you have to look for the rest.

Forward Facing On3 kit sounds kind of interesting for around $2,300 and suspension. Hope to see one soon, once they ship it to my friend.

Companies Will sell just the hot piping, if that is an interest.

If you built it, no matter what heads you decide on, the Compression would be whatever you made it.

1997 GT 2.6L Kenne Bell Build Thread ~Needs More Compressor!

1997 GT 235 Limited Builder

Never Lift Racecars

Last edited by NO_PI_NO_POWER; July 28th, 2011 at 06:05 PM. Reason: more info
post #20 of 40 Old July 28th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhoward93 View Post
single tubro setup with forged bottem end what kinda hp could i be looking at?

lol In all honestly, it'll make whatever power you want it to make. With say a 70mm on 10psi you could be looking at maybe 425-450rwhp, but a lot of that also depends on how much power you think your motor makes before the turbo.

For instance my car as it sits has stock 97 Cobra 4V heads and cams, and a stock 2003 GT short block (stock GT pistons, crank and rods...long story). Before the turbo with a CAI and exhaust (stock headers) it probably made about 275rwhp...Now with a 61mm turbo on 10 psi and absolutely no changes to the motor it made 410rwhp. That's an estimated 135rwhp gain. Although not every car is going to gain the same amount, it'll at least give you an idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page