Modded Mustang Forums banner

cutting springs, alignment needed?

12K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  cleanbetweenrenters 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm cutting my springs on my 01 cobra tommrow, and I'm not looking for you guys to tell me not to do that. I've done a lot of research on it on svt performance and even talked to termi owners that have done it since we have linear springs well anyway..

My question is I won't be able to get the alignment till Monday and I want to cut the springs tommroow, so is it ok to ride it without an alignment for 2 days and even go racing at night without it?

Reactions: maxgst
#4 ·
Thanks bro apprecaite it!

I'll never understand cutting springs.

Why not just buy a set of used lowering springs for 50 - 100 bucks.

But, to answer your question, ya, your alignment will be out of whack. Drive it and see how bad it is. Bad = Dont drive it. Not to bad = go ahead and drive it.

It won't give you the drop you want, plus I have way more mods in plan and dont feel like spending $350 + to lower a car 1.5 inches. And yea that sounds like a good idea thanksbro you guys will both be repped.

#3 ·
I'll never understand cutting springs.

Why not just buy a set of used lowering springs for 50 - 100 bucks.

But, to answer your question, ya, your alignment will be out of whack. Drive it and see how bad it is. Bad = Dont drive it. Not to bad = go ahead and drive it.

#5 ·
I know you said you don't wanna hear it but really if it were me, just save up the money to lower it, Eibach has springs on Americanmuscle.com for 249.99 free shipping for a 1.5 inch drop. I'd rather not take shortcuts on my baby, I'd rather do it right the first time :/ I hope youll reconsider and spend the bucks, you never know what could go wrong with cutting or what would happen later on down the road or how your suspension will react to cutting springs.

#8 ·
I honestly feel if you actually read up on our linear springs and research more about it you woudnt mind cutting them, and you woudnt mind saving $400 for springs and cc plates and plus you'll get the exact drop you want without giving up ride quality, if ppl that have termie's do it then it must be ok and I'm not just saying this because they are superior but because I know if I had one I woudnt cheap out on it so I know they don't either

#6 ·
i had cut springs on mine for awhile, didn't notice any bad side effects. this was on a GT though. i had my front tire sitting about a half inch gap with my fender. looked pretty good, rode fine, it was just a little too low, and a little rough. i think i took out a spring and a half on mine. shouldn't be a problem. i've had my car lowered for about 5 years and have never done an alignment or a set of caster camber plates.

Reactions: PsnSnake_19
#7 ·
Yea a lot of ppl on had the springs cut for over 50,000 miles and says it even rides better then stock, and.I'm going to get it aligned like a week or two after so it can settle I'm about to start in 30 minutes I'm post pics up to
I'm just stuck on weither i should do 3/4 coil all around or 1 coil all around or just do 3/4 all around and take out the ISO's in the front to get the raked looked??

#9 ·
Cutting springs is fine provided you take the time to shape the cut end how it was before you cut it (i.e. if it was tapered flat, make sure to taper it flat after the cut).

That being said, ANY time you change ride height you need to at least get your alignment checked. Toe, camber, and caster all change dynamically with suspension travel, and lowering the car is just adjusting where in your suspension travel the car sits at rest.

For a week or two? Not a huge issue unless you're putting gobs of miles on the car, in which case you might see some tire wear.

But you're not gonna turn the car into an uncontrollable tree-seeking missile just because you put a 1.5" drop in and didn't correct your alignment.

#10 ·
Yea I'm going to cut 1 coil all around it get it aligned for sure, doing it as we speak lol finally the wheel gap is going to be gone but damn I just noticed how low my midpipe is even with this stock ride height holy ****

#11 ·
I really never heard of people cutting springs to tell you the truth, this is the first time ever hearing about it so as you can guess my first reaction to seeing "cutting springs" i went "Wooh" lol. I'm actually looking into getting and Eibach pro suspension kit, it comes with a shocks, struts, springs, swaybays ext. cause I plan to autocross my car. But I guess like the other guys say, now that i think about it, if your cuts good then it probably wouldn't be bad, also just thinking about this, I think it would be cool if you bought some Plasti-Dip in a good color you could color your springs red, black, white whatever it would probably look badass. Only cost like $5 a can.

#12 ·
While we're on the subject, will C/C plates, be enough to adjust the alignment when dropping the car with the Eibach springs? Just curious cause my brother just looked into an alignment on his Fusion, and they told him to correct it they needed to install adjustable ball joints to correct it fully. They quoted him ~$600 for that...

I can afford springs and C/C's, but I can't afford a $600 charge to get the car aligned

#13 · (Edited)
Hey guys I really need your help, alright well I cut my front springs already and came out even on both sides and perfect however I was told cutting a coil I would get a 1.5- 2 inch drop and it only gave me a 1.25 inch drop so will it settle for more because I want more of a drop, will it settle or will I have to cut another 1/4 coil off??

Also i coudnt do the back springs because I coudnt take them out tommorow I'm going to rent the spring compressor machine at AutoZone for this, did you guys have to do this to? And should I cut more then a coil of to keep it same height front and back or give it a raked looked?? Thanks guys really need info on the front drop I did like it says in my first paragraph

#15 ·
If these springs are the stockers, and they've been on the car since you've owned it, then I don't think they'll settle much, if any, at all. I think the settling happens more when you put on a new set of lowering springs. At least that was my experience when I installed my Sportlines. Mine settled another 1/4"-1/2"

But others that have done this on stock springs before can chime in...

Reactions: PsnSnake_19
#17 ·
Damn I read on the svt performance that cutting 1 coil will give you a 1.5-2 inch drop and I only got like a 1.3 inch drop I guess ill he cutting 1/4 coil lol thanks guys

#25 ·
I guess every car is a little different. Don't forget to post up pics of the drop, maybe a "before" & "after". It should look bad ass.

^^ Oops, too late. LOL Looks good. Can you post a pic of the whole car?

#20 ·
I'm not even going to waste my time showing you over 25 threads on why linear springs are perfect too cut just because I have to do it to every other idiot that says that dumb remark

#24 ·
before:

after: 1 coil cut all around and iso's still in place, sorry i took alot of crappy pics today i will shoot some better ones when i clean her up again. love the ride quality after i cut my springs :D feels the dame if not better!

tell me what yall think :) it looks way lower in person trust me

#26 ·
I know you said you don't wanna hear it but really if it were me, just save up the money to lower it, Eibach has springs on Americanmuscle.com for 249.99 free shipping for a 1.5 inch drop. I'd rather not take shortcuts on my baby, I'd rather do it right the first time :/ I hope youll reconsider and spend the bucks, you never know what could go wrong with cutting or what would happen later on down the road or how your suspension will react to cutting springs.
Bunch of wussies! You'll always be able to find stock replacement springs. Cut those bad boys allready !(later to find out he did cut them and went racing that night and had a fatal accident due to.......suspension springs fell out of their seats!)