Modded Mustang Forums banner

Anyone know more than me about the 01 cobra??

2K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  PsnSnake_19 
#1 ·
Hey guys there is times i really hate my car but also really do love and feel like it responds to how i treat it lol so you get the point, i want to know alot about this vehicle like i mean alot like mechanic wise and also special things about it and i know its rare and all that espicially my car but really what is there?? I really want to know lol reps to ppl me know something i didnt know :D

#2 ·
the 01 Cobra's were where Ford started getting things right. the 99's were rushed out and had alot of dumb issues that they were recalled for. (the ECU reflash, the intake manifold recall ect) the 01's have two things that i would LOVE to have. (well, one i already do) and they are the export tail lights with the orange/amber turn signal lense. the other is the rear bumper cover. it looks exactly like a regular Mustang GT bumper but it has COBRA molded in there. i think the 01 Cobras came with the BEST bumper package of any mustang ever produced. the 99's came with a regular gt bumper cover. next up is the interior. the 99's had a plain leather interior similar to the GT's. the 01's were the 1st ones to have the leather/sueade seats which are freakin' awesome seats. too bad they are 800+ for a used set otherwise i would have some! they've got the irs rear and the 01's have the WAP aluminum blocks with the C (aka tumble) port heads. i always wanted a real SVT vehicle just to actually have the cool certificate that it came from the factory with. if you lost it (or never got it) you can get a replacement from Ford (atleat you were able to do this) with the right bolt-ons and a tune there should be no problem to get 320rwhp out of a c head 4v like is in your car. they are a VERY good platform to start building from and i kind of think they get a rap as the step-child car because they are so overshadowed by the 03/04 Cobra. which if i had an 03/04, i would get rid of the bumpers instantly for an 01 setup. much more visually appearing to me :yes

not sure if thats the kind of stuff you were looking for but thats what i could contribute!

#3 ·
Yea man I knew all that but that was def. What I was talking about I like that you said they get over shadowed that's sooo true, and that you said the seats are nice I love them line get cleaned every week other then my drivers since its late for that baby lol I need to get a new seat I want a manually seat though for less weight :) reps bro good ****

Reactions: LGHTNG02GT
#5 ·
Yea I heard I'm probably going to in the next couple months get a new passenger seat for the driver side and just save it and not put it on till I have another dd, I have more importants mods next like gears, tuner, underdrive pulleys and nitrous finally :)

#8 ·
Yea haha I like nitrous until I have real money to go s/c but i believe stock its like 3430lb, mines probably at like 3350 with my spoiler, and spare and Jack out, and my wheels are lighter then stock

#9 ·
Your rear badge just says 'SVT' and the 99's says 'SVT cobra' on it. You have a 3650 trans, not the t-45 of the earlier models. You have 31 spline axles and diff stock, where as the 99's had 28. You got the 'smoked' headlights factory, 99's still had the chrome housing.
Your car is one of 979 black coupes.

#11 ·
If my car was black i would give you a rep but my car is true blue lol :D and yea i knew all that

it has a 4v...do i win :shiftyeyes
damn and all this time i thought it was a 2v, you just made my day it not like it says it on my motor or nothing lmao :eek:

#20 ·
Thank you man the color grows on me more and more that's for sure, and i didnt get those tail lights :'( the previous owner had new ones on I guess to keep those for himself

These are also one of the more rare Mustang variants, with only 3,867 coupes built and 3,384 verts.

And obviously out of this style Cobra, ie 99 and 01, this is definitely the more refined of the bunch. The 99's just seem like they were thrown together. Only complaint I've had out of mine is the 3650, which I've since had rebuilt and now I love it. I need to order the SVT certificate for it.

Yea I need to get a certificate to lol

Bro its SVT. its FORD's soldier on steroids
Give me your car if you don't want it anymore.
Lol I love my car its just all these problems are stressin me the f*** out bro but I know I just won't find another car like mines thats why I don't want to fix the main things and get rid of It

Did you also know about the head tick in some of the 01's? During production some of their heads had a casting shift. Can't remember at what point during the year it was fixed but some have it.

"Some ‘99/’01 Cobra owners reported a “ticking/pinging” noise coming from the drivers side head of their cars. This is due to insufficient cooling around the #6, 7, and 8 cylinders that allowed the valves to overheat and therefore seat improperly. Ford remedied the situation by issuing a TSB to remove and replace the affected heads with a version that featured altered coolant flow.
"

My car has that ticking what does that mean is it bad??

#15 ·
These are also one of the more rare Mustang variants, with only 3,867 coupes built and 3,384 verts.

And obviously out of this style Cobra, ie 99 and 01, this is definitely the more refined of the bunch. The 99's just seem like they were thrown together. Only complaint I've had out of mine is the 3650, which I've since had rebuilt and now I love it. I need to order the SVT certificate for it.

#19 · (Edited)
Did you also know about the head tick in some of the 01's? During production some of their heads had a casting shift. Can't remember at what point during the year it was fixed but some have it.

"Some ‘99/’01 Cobra owners reported a “ticking/pinging” noise coming from the drivers side head of their cars. This is due to insufficient cooling around the #6, 7, and 8 cylinders that allowed the valves to overheat and therefore seat improperly. Ford remedied the situation by issuing a TSB to remove and replace the affected heads with a version that featured altered coolant flow.
"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.