Retrofitting Factory Backup Cam To Use GT500 Spoiler - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old January 5th, 2012, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Retrofitting Factory Backup Cam To Use GT500 Spoiler

So I finally made it home from my deployment and got around to installing my GT500 wing and moving the camera to the gas cap emblem. The hardest part of the whole process was removing the factory wing.
1st I removed the factory wing with fishing line and a razor blade. It probably took me an hour to get the wing off. The camera was simple to pull out of the spoiler.

Then I pulled off the trunk release thing thats behind the gas cap. I cut off the thin layer of metal covering everything to be able to fit the camera behind the trunk release.

I think the hole was a little over 3/4" to fit the camera in. The cut looks kinda ugly, but you can't even see it once the release mechanism is reinstalled and definitely not after the carpet cover deal is put back on.

It came out pretty good I think. I still need to mess with it a little, but for now I am happy.

Also I was really impressed with how well the pre-painted wing color matched, and that they painted the one part black. I got it from CJ Pony Parts. It's the 3d carbon one.

2012 GT Grabber blue, 6M, Blowfish bracket, Barton, Paxton @11psi, ID1000, vortech BAP, glass roof, 3.73s, full o/r 3" exhaust, boss IM, lca's, K springs, eibach sway bars, 20x9 20x10" avant garde
640/490

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old January 18th, 2012, 01:49 PM

Very cool!
The reason I didn't buy my 2012 with a backup camera was because I wasn't able to put a GT500 spoiler on it.
Did the holes match from the camera spoiler or did you have to add any?

post #3 of 24 Old March 10th, 2013, 08:14 AM
BHD
Want Camels?

sorry to bump an old thread, but what can I use to cut the metal? I am gonna do this, anyone tried it before and care on sharing some tips?

2013 GT-F14/BS Potenza S001-FRPP Handling pack-BMR Panhard,UCA/Mount,LCA/Relo brkts-JLT Oil can-4s Brembo-Roush grille- Boss 302 side pipes
2008 GT/CS-SOLD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old March 10th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Enthusiast

I like it being hidden in the faux gas cap good idea man looks like it was ment to be there , which IMO is how modding should be done
post #5 of 24 Old March 17th, 2013, 09:51 PM

BHD do you know if your car is pre-wired for the Rear camera? I want to add this to mine but don't know where the harness is.
post #6 of 24 Old March 19th, 2013, 07:02 AM
BHD
Want Camels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by executiV View Post
BHD do you know if your car is pre-wired for the Rear camera? I want to add this to mine but don't know where the harness is.
I didn't get my hands to see the harness yet, but I found another solution, I don't want to drill or cut the faux cap/trunk. A Stanger in UAE did this job in a garage, he attached the camera directly into the GT500 spoiler, which is way better than cutting IMO. Check out the pictures and let me know if someone was able to do so
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image (1).jpg
Views:	4016
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	36556   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	7816
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	36557   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (2).jpg
Views:	1058
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	36558  

2013 GT-F14/BS Potenza S001-FRPP Handling pack-BMR Panhard,UCA/Mount,LCA/Relo brkts-JLT Oil can-4s Brembo-Roush grille- Boss 302 side pipes
2008 GT/CS-SOLD

post #7 of 24 Old March 19th, 2013, 09:02 PM

I just looked at mine earlier, it does not appear to be pre-wired.

I like the one you posted, but I think I will try to integrate the camera into the spoiler more like this:

post #8 of 24 Old March 20th, 2013, 09:17 AM
BHD
Want Camels?

Quote:
I just looked at mine earlier, it does not appear to be pre-wired.

I like the one you posted, but I think I will try to integrate the camera into the spoiler more like this:

Looks better! any source on how they did this. So our rear cams are wireless?

2008 GT/CS-SOLD

post #9 of 24 Old March 21st, 2013, 05:42 PM

The GT500 spoiler was cut and the camera installed inside of it

The cameras are not wireless, the cars just didn't come pre-wired. My local Ford dealer said the harness is different. I need to look behind my radio and see what the plug looks like, so hopefully I can wire it in myself
post #10 of 24 Old March 23rd, 2013, 04:26 PM
BHD
Want Camels?

Quote:
The GT500 spoiler was cut and the camera installed inside of it

The cameras are not wireless, the cars just didn't come pre-wired. My local Ford dealer said the harness is different. I need to look behind my radio and see what the plug looks like, so hopefully I can wire it in myself
Just keep me updated buddy by steps, I am doing the same thing.

2008 GT/CS-SOLD

post #11 of 24 Old March 31st, 2013, 07:30 PM

Well my spoiler arrived, I next have to remove the Nav unit to see what connector is required and determine if the spoiler wiring goes solely to the Nav or to other parts of the car too.
post #12 of 24 Old March 31st, 2013, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Regular

I had forgot I even created this thread! I like the look of it actually being inside the GT500 spoiler. I will say that mine has had no problems with it since moving to the gas cap.

2012 GT Grabber blue, 6M, Blowfish bracket, Barton, Paxton @11psi, ID1000, vortech BAP, glass roof, 3.73s, full o/r 3" exhaust, boss IM, lca's, K springs, eibach sway bars, 20x9 20x10" avant garde
640/490

post #13 of 24 Old April 7th, 2013, 09:29 PM

Not sure how to post the pic directly, but does anyone know which connector on the back of the nav unit in this link is used for the camera?

Image Sheet

And SR330 thanks for this thread!
post #14 of 24 Old April 8th, 2013, 11:20 AM
BHD
Want Camels?

I like the idea of having it in the spoiler too, I will do it in May, I just need to know how the dude in the picture fit it in there.

2008 GT/CS-SOLD

post #15 of 24 Old April 12th, 2013, 09:41 PM

I found that here: My GT500 Wing w/Rear View Camera Project

Here is another from the same source:
post #16 of 24 Old April 13th, 2013, 05:40 PM
BHD
Want Camels?

Quote:
I found that here: My GT500 Wing w/Rear View Camera Project

Here is another from the same source:
That really explains it much thanks man it really helped alot! I must spread reps to give you reps again, the measurements he made were really complicated lol, but anyhow, best solution would be that I order it unpainted and let a proper body shop do all that for me while I am supervising step by step , we will keep this thread updated, let me know how it went with you

2008 GT/CS-SOLD

post #17 of 24 Old May 10th, 2013, 04:59 PM
New Here

How's it going guys! Funny how I found this thread... through Google search. lol

I'm the one who fabricated the Rear View Camera into the GT500 spoiler. I posted my build on TruForums. I'm actually going to be selling it and would like to get a hold of a stock Kona Blue spoiler with rear view camera. Gonna sell the car and need to get it back to stock. If any of you are interested, we can work something out. Also, if you guys need some advice, I'd be more than happy to help.
post #18 of 24 Old May 12th, 2013, 07:12 AM
BHD
Want Camels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSoulStang View Post
How's it going guys! Funny how I found this thread... through Google search. lol

I'm the one who fabricated the Rear View Camera into the GT500 spoiler. I posted my build on TruForums. I'm actually going to be selling it and would like to get a hold of a stock Kona Blue spoiler with rear view camera. Gonna sell the car and need to get it back to stock. If any of you are interested, we can work something out. Also, if you guys need some advice, I'd be more than happy to help.
What a small world lol

I am doing this very soon, I will follow your steps, what did you use to cut the spoiler? I mean I can really do it but all extra info are welcome, I will also update this thread.

The only thing I need to be careful at is matching the color, I assume you ordered the spoiler un-painted?

2008 GT/CS-SOLD

post #19 of 24 Old May 16th, 2013, 04:54 PM
New Here

Yes, I bought the spoiler unpainted. I also had to cut my stock spoiler; hence me needing the stock one.

Right now I'm a tad busy, but I can go into full detail when my schedule clears up. I'll try to come back during the weekend.
post #20 of 24 Old May 18th, 2013, 05:00 PM
BHD
Want Camels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSoulStang View Post
Yes, I bought the spoiler unpainted. I also had to cut my stock spoiler; hence me needing the stock one.

Right now I'm a tad busy, but I can go into full detail when my schedule clears up. I'll try to come back during the weekend.
Will be looking forward to that

2008 GT/CS-SOLD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/modular-mustangs/244803-retrofitting-factory-backup-cam-use-gt500-spoiler.html
Posted By For Type Date
Relocating Back up Camera - Mustang Evolution This thread Refback November 28th, 2016 04:23 AM
Backup Camera and GT500 spoiler? | SVTperformance.com This thread Refback November 21st, 2016 09:02 PM
Backup Camera and GT500 spoiler? This thread Refback March 30th, 2014 09:15 PM
GT500 rear spoiler and HID's - SVTPerformance This thread Pingback May 11th, 2012 10:42 AM
Any companies make aftermarket wings/spoilers that work with the backup camera? - SVTPerformance This thread Pingback February 12th, 2012 04:00 AM