Our 8.8 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old February 27th, 2012, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Our 8.8

31 spline, trac-lok differential.... Other than the size of the pinion bearing, is there ANY difference from our rear than the older 8.8's? (28 spline rear end, but that is negligible here)

So far it seems like 2 different shops now go retarded when installing gears in my car and I'm getting fed the hell up with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old February 27th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Priest of the Car Gods

I wasn't aware of any change in the differential itself... I thought it was the same good ol' 8.8 that's been in every V8 Mustang (including IRS cars) since the mid-'80s.

What are they telling you is different?

Function > Form, always
post #3 of 12 Old February 27th, 2012, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

No I'm basically educating myself. They haven't told me anything except that they installed it within spec and are blaming it on my driveshaft, suspension, and even the FRPP 3.73's themselves... Which I laughed about because NONE of those would cause the whine that I've got.

It whined before the rear suspension work, before the driveshaft, before anything. The suspension/etc is just bringing their mistakes into daylight instead being hidden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old February 27th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Zip's half naked helper

No difference at all. I'm sure you know what a rear end whine is (you are no idiot). Could you maybe have this shop pull the cover and do a paint pattern for you? That will tell you if the pinion depth is right and the backlash is in spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narleycarley
I have an amazing mullet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordang View Post
If Marc's car was a woman, she would be in short skirt and a G string and he would tell her to bend over whenever people walked by.
post #5 of 12 Old February 27th, 2012, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

That's what the plan is. They were supposed to call me back to set up an appointment, but it looks like I'll have to take it into my own hands... I know it's not a bearing since the pitch doesn't increase with speed. It's blatantly obvious it's the rear end. The head mechanic rode with me this morning. Right now it's boiling down to their "Mustang guy" thinking he knows everything and blaming it all on the driveshaft... Basically he told me I wasted my money to which I found a polite way to tell him he was an idiot without saying he was an idiot. Basically I pointed out that stock V6 Mustangs were blowing out the same driveshaft under regular conditions, while some were racing, a few were regular operation. God forbid it be a modded GT pushing 200 more wheel horsepower than a stock V6.
post #6 of 12 Old February 27th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Regular

I was having that problem.
Ford changed their gear manufacturer and they channged something up to where oreillys shim or pinion bearing (forgot which 1) didn't match with the gears so they got all the little parts directly from ford and wala it went away,

2012 Gt/Cs: steeda cold air, tune, 3.73
404whp
388torque
post #7 of 12 Old March 1st, 2012, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

After a little more research I found that the pinion depth on the newer 8.8's is slightly different than those of the old which pinion depth is my issue and problem with my current gears.

Dunno where to go from there or how to present that to the the shop.
post #8 of 12 Old March 1st, 2012, 01:14 PM
Enthusiast

I just had my gears installed Tuesday, and the guy did a great job, granted I only have about 30-40 miles on them they are quite as can be. Hope you get your situation fixed.

2011 GT 5.0 N/A GMR #00195
Bassani Axle-back/X-pipe/Resonator delete
Eibach Pro-kit
Airaid CAI
BAMA 91R Tune
FR 3.73
BMR LCA's & Relo. Brackets
post #9 of 12 Old March 1st, 2012, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

This shop has gone as far as blaming the gear cut (FRPP) as the problem...
post #10 of 12 Old March 1st, 2012, 02:00 PM
Regular

What you need to do is stop dealing with that shop and go with someone who knows what they are doing

2012 Gt/Cs: steeda cold air, tune, 3.73
404whp
388torque
post #11 of 12 Old March 1st, 2012, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

And pay more money? I've dumped $1300 between doing what you just said trying to get this right. I'm tired of dealing with it.
post #12 of 12 Old March 1st, 2012, 03:40 PM
FiK
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc02GT View Post
That's what the plan is. They were supposed to call me back to set up an appointment, but it looks like I'll have to take it into my own hands... I know it's not a bearing since the pitch doesn't increase with speed. It's blatantly obvious it's the rear end. The head mechanic rode with me this morning. Right now it's boiling down to their "Mustang guy" thinking he knows everything and blaming it all on the driveshaft... Basically he told me I wasted my money to which I found a polite way to tell him he was an idiot without saying he was an idiot. Basically I pointed out that stock V6 Mustangs were blowing out the same driveshaft under regular conditions, while some were racing, a few were regular operation. God forbid it be a modded GT pushing 200 more wheel horsepower than a stock V6.
Actually the V6 driveshaft is very, very different.

Also, the 8.8's pinion bearing is supposed to be different but the old one compatible... Don't doubt this could be causing your whining.

2011 3.7L Perf Pack (3.31 rear); BMR Springs, Adj Panhard, UCAM, UCA, CABs, LCAs; Tokico DSP-12s; GT500 Strut Mounts; JLT Oil Can; TSW Interlagos 20x8.5 & Falken 255/35R20 x 4; Audio Sys; AMSOil Sig Series 5W-30/EAO17; Pypes 3" Catback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page