Help! Mustang won't start, anti theft mode???? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old June 9th, 2012, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Help! Mustang won't start, anti theft mode????

Really confused guys, I did 10 runs at the track last night and the car drive home just fine. Woke up today and it started again. Drove 3 minutes, parked the car for 15, came out and it wouldn't start. I replaced the battery, the starter, put a jumper on the clutch pos. sensor to bypass it. Nothing's worked. I measure 12 Vdc at the pos terminal of the starter and it works on a test bench. I measure 12.6v on the battery. I'm starting to think my stang is in anti theft mode. I turn the key and no click, no nothing. The fuel pump engages, the lights and accessories all work fine. I'm at a loss and very confused, the only thing I haven't ride is the actual ignition switch (not the key cylinder) and its on order. I do have a tune on the car but it's a tune I've used before with absolutely no problems and on a tuner with firmware I've used to load a tune 20+ times without issues. Any ideas anyone??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old June 9th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Regular

Does your theft light stay blinking? If so then its in theft mode

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #3 of 29 Old June 9th, 2012, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Yes it does. Is it supposed to stop blinking once the key is turned to on? It blinks the same rate as without a key with one inserted I tout it blinked twice as fas in anti theft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old June 9th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Watch n learn

When you say you have 12v at the pos, you mean the power cable or the trigger wire? Do you have another key to try?
post #5 of 29 Old June 9th, 2012, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Regular

At the actual positive lead that goes to the starter post
post #6 of 29 Old June 9th, 2012, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Regular

How do I get it out of theft mode
post #7 of 29 Old June 9th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Regular

Do you have another key to try?
post #8 of 29 Old June 9th, 2012, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Yep tried both keys
post #9 of 29 Old June 10th, 2012, 12:12 AM
2011 September ROTM

have you checked the starter relay. check the under hood fuse box and try switching the relay with another and see if it starts. i had that problem once. if that doesn't work you need to test the pins on the starter relay to see if the trigger wire is getting power.

F1a Procharger 14psi, MMR 900, Tr6060, Remote tuned by Ray Mcclelland = Daily Driver
Numbers coming soon
post #10 of 29 Old June 10th, 2012, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Yes, felt the relay click on as Key was turned. Swapped it with a neighboring relay of the same part number, no effect. Didn't get a chance to check the relay posts individually
post #11 of 29 Old June 10th, 2012, 04:33 AM
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!

Send a message via Yahoo to psycho bob
no offense at all, but if you're just throwing parts at it (battery & starter) then you probably could have just taken it somewhere and been driving again already. probably would have been cheaper than a battery and starter also.

spend the hundred bucks and have ford put it on their diagnostic machine. let them tell you the problem and if it's easy/cheap let them do it. if they want alot for something you know you could replace then do it yourself.

my newest toy

post #12 of 29 Old June 10th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

two things, if the fuel pump is engaging its not in antitheft mode is it? nor would the key turn?

after researching some more, evidently, antitheft just locks the engine and keeps it from turning over. i had a grand am that it happened to and you couldnt turn the ignition.

tri ax short shifter,4.10's, shaker,Ford Racing TB, full mac exhaust,steeda CMDP,Vortech V3Si HO,Brenspeed supercharger detroit rockers, BMR lowering springs/relo brackets/LCA's 479/417

http://www.warhorsesofamerica.webs.com/
post #13 of 29 Old June 10th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

here is suppose to be a DIY fix but its not make or model specific

Put your key in the ignition and twist your hand forward. You want the interior lights and radio to come on, but not the engine itself. In some cases you may need to turn the key backwards to do this, but it depends on the make and model of the vehicle.

Wait at least ten minutes before you remove the key. This does place some pressure on the battery so you need to make sure the battery is working before you do this. After 10 or 15 minutes, the anti-theft system on your car will shut itself off and you’ll see the light on your dashboard turn off. Once this happens, you can easily start your car.

tri ax short shifter,4.10's, shaker,Ford Racing TB, full mac exhaust,steeda CMDP,Vortech V3Si HO,Brenspeed supercharger detroit rockers, BMR lowering springs/relo brackets/LCA's 479/417

post #14 of 29 Old June 10th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

what year is you mustang? this is a fix for a 2011 taurus....

Press the "unlock" button on the remote entry transmitter.

Insert the coded key into the ignition.

Turn the ignition on. The anti-theft light will turn off after approximately three seconds, indicating the system is disabled. Repeat the steps if the light flashes rapidly or stays on for more than a few seconds.

post #15 of 29 Old June 10th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Watch n learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by slater View Post
here is suppose to be a DIY fix but its not make or model specific

Put your key in the ignition and twist your hand forward. You want the interior lights and radio to come on, but not the engine itself. In some cases you may need to turn the key backwards to do this, but it depends on the make and model of the vehicle.
Wait at least ten minutes before you remove the key. This does place some pressure on the battery so you need to make sure the battery is working before you do this. After 10 or 15 minutes, the anti-theft system on your car will shut itself off and you’ll see the light on your dashboard turn off. Once this happens, you can easily start your car.
^That's a GM reset procedure.

Checking the big pos. cable on the starter only shown that it's getting battery voltage, not being commanded on, the little wire is the command.
post #16 of 29 Old June 10th, 2012, 09:36 AM
More Is Better.

Garage
Also, make sure the fuel roll-over reset button is not tripped (driver's side kick panel, recessed big red button).

Roush TVS Supercharger / T56 Magnum XL 6 speed
Steeda suspension /Big Brakes / BMR K Member
Mac L/T's / Prochamber / Roush Extremes
"Daily Driver" RWHP: [email protected] PSI w/ LT's
"Dyno Queen": [email protected] PSI-stock exhaust
Mods in Garage
post #17 of 29 Old June 10th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Watch n learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiMora View Post
Also, make sure the fuel roll-over reset button is not tripped (driver's side kick panel, recessed big red button).
That allows cranking, car just won't fire, this is a no-crank issue.
I have had it happen though, where the fuel shutoff switch gets tripped by hitting a bump in the road and stalls the car, lol.
post #18 of 29 Old June 10th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Banned

you can try to reprogram your keys. stick you key in the ignation and turn it on and off 8(if 8 dont work then its 10) times within 4(you could have more time but you need to do this fast) secs while holding the lock button and your car will reprogram itself. then take the clicker and lock your car. wait 2-3 seconds and unlock you car then start it.

i had the same problem when i lost my clicker and was driving the car without one. randomly one day the car wouldnt start and ford was being gay about the whole thing and wanted 350 just to check the car out.

it took me a week of researching to figure this out, oh yea one last thing, you can barrow someone else clicker (if you lost yours or if your batteries are dead) to see if it works. just make sure your cars are not close when you are reprogramming them
post #19 of 29 Old June 10th, 2012, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Thanks guys I'm gonna see if I can put this stuff to use. Bob I was able to return the batt. And starter so no loss there, I'm wary on ford touching it because it has a tune and I can't return it to stock because of the cams and CAI and frpp tb. If I have to I'll do that though. I'll let you guys know what happens!
post #20 of 29 Old June 10th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Banned

k well hurry and try what i posted before i head out to work on my car. i want to see if what i wrote fixes your problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/modular-mustangs/265705-help-mustang-wont-start-anti-theft-mode.html
Posted By For Type Date
Car Just Died, Need Opinions *Vid Up* - Off Topic - Random, Misc posts - the forum "Junk Drawer" - SMD Forum This thread Refback April 3rd, 2014 04:21 AM
Car Just Died, Need Opinions - Off Topic - Random, Misc posts - the forum "Junk Drawer" - SMD Forum This thread Refback March 26th, 2014 02:24 PM