Ported NPI Heads w/PI cam swap - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old September 8th, 2012, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Ported NPI Heads w/PI cam swap

ok, well i have a set of pi cams from a set of unusable pi heads that i was wondering about. I have read that i could do the cam swap and i only needed like, a pi cam bolt to do it successfully. So along with that, i wanna port my NPI heads and swap also the pi intake manifold. so altogether, imma go from stock npi heads, cam and intake manifold...to ported npi heads, pi cam and pi intake manifold. idc how much it costs, or that i should do the whole pi swap bcuz my mind is made up. i just wanna know hat kinda power gains am i looking at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old September 9th, 2012, 03:46 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

porting is the best route. not the cheapest tho. your gains will be minimal on the pi cam but you will have advantage for the future . FI will love it and a bigger cam will also.i would say u get around 240-45 rwhp with a tune and exhast

GT ENGINE (temporary) 4.30 Gears , 31 spline Moser axles , Detroit tru Trac diff, Pi intake Hitech stage 2 cam, Vortech V7-JT Alum drive shaft. Lowering kit x2 ball joints Koni DA, H&R Super race spring LCA "
post #3 of 35 Old September 9th, 2012, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Regular

iight, so look. i have a k&n cai, throttle body spacer, o/r prochamber, stock exhaust manifolds, and flowmasters. if i add: ported NPI heads, PI cam, PI intake, underdrives, BBK 78mm throttle intake, borla xr-1 and shorties...i should be looking at about 270-280rwhp?...well after a tune? more? less?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old September 9th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Not really. Its probably around 250 rwhp 260 at most being optimistic. What you want are ported heads and some stage 2 cams. MHS cams have been seen to do around 270 almost 280 rwhp with just npi heads and a pi intake. your combo would match well. better than a PI swap with heads. I highly suggest it.

My setup was quite nasty with jsut cams and pi intake on a stock converter. so throw in some cams on top that ported head.

GT ENGINE (temporary) 4.30 Gears , 31 spline Moser axles , Detroit tru Trac diff, Pi intake Hitech stage 2 cam, Vortech V7-JT Alum drive shaft. Lowering kit x2 ball joints Koni DA, H&R Super race spring LCA "
post #5 of 35 Old September 9th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_14 View Post
iight, so look. i have a k&n cai, throttle body spacer, o/r prochamber, stock exhaust manifolds, and flowmasters. if i add: ported NPI heads, PI cam, PI intake, underdrives, BBK 78mm throttle intake, borla xr-1 and shorties...i should be looking at about 270-280rwhp?...well after a tune? more? less?
Nowhere even close with stock cams. Throttle body spacer is worthless, helps nothing and adds weight. Your exhaust set up does not really add anything either, shorties would be a waste of money as they do not flow much better than the stockeds, Underdrive pullies are a waste of money (unless you find a cheap used set). You are looking at around 240-250 with the porting. And thats if you get them done correct.

And Michael, I never saw your setup nasty before the charger. Lol

07 Cobalt SS/SC-you know, the slow version...

Sold-96 GT- PI H/C/I, K&N CAI, Built T45 trans with LuK Pro Gold clutch. Dual catless H pipe with stock mufflers. Custom tune via SCT, Hurst short throw shifter.
post #6 of 35 Old September 9th, 2012, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Well, what about comp stage 2 cams and bigger fuel injectors too? And I hear people say all the time that long tubes on this engine wouldn't give you that much more hp than shorties.
post #7 of 35 Old September 9th, 2012, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Regular

But really I just wanna get the best out of what I already have. The pi cams are free...and so would the heads be...but one spark plug hole was stripped and was helicoiled...and failed again. So I just wanna get what I can get with these minor mods until I get out of school. I don't wanna have to buy another set of cams when I got a free pair that will add a few hp and mid-pipe to accommodate the lt's. I can afford all the other bolt-ons without my wife questioning me.
post #8 of 35 Old September 9th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Yeah just port the heads . or pull a set of npi heads from another car since that one you have has the helicoil . See what the machine shop that does the porting can do for that plug hole. I don't suggest running the Under drive pullies either. you are asking for trouble.

and yes it was nasty for a lil old automatic pi intake and car car with 400 bucks into its engine lol. Kept a car length on a ls4 car up hill race past 110 mph lol. those are high 13 second cars. low 14. and thats from a dig. so it would def have kept up with quite a few for just a lil old Npi and thats before the torque converter which is old and beat to death . that alone pulls almost up to .4 in the quarter due to how much the stock one sucks.

If you put these cams in your car i have .i gaurentee you would run some mid 12's in a manual easy . they do all the time.

post #9 of 35 Old September 9th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Enthusiast

If you dont plan on going FI, you can get the free stuff you have available, and instead of spending the money on the no gain bolt ons, you can find a decent set of pi heads, and actualy get some gain. If you feel like you will go fi, then stick with the cams and intake you are getting. Either way it will help some. I am not going fi, so I opted for the heads also, as I have a different plan for the future.

Sold-96 GT- PI H/C/I, K&N CAI, Built T45 trans with LuK Pro Gold clutch. Dual catless H pipe with stock mufflers. Custom tune via SCT, Hurst short throw shifter.
post #10 of 35 Old September 9th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

In summery the advantages go long way. since you WANT to go ported NPI already as you stated in your original posts. This will provide you with the most gains overall.

Any mods you do to the engine with the ported heads will be seen very much more than you would typically. The includes , valve work , Forced induction , cams , throttle bodies , exhaust . all of that . The npi heads flow much better when setup correctly so you will not be disappointed in them at all. They are over looked more than they should be as decent castings.

In pi vs npi heads , the flow numbers are not good for any noticeable SOTP nor 1/4 power . At the shop we worked with both .

So i would say. Port them (correctly ) and you can see some nice numbers. with room to grow as you please later down the line.

post #11 of 35 Old September 9th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Enthusiast

Yea, I forgot you were talking about porting. See too many what will this do? Threads and forget which one im reading. Lol But as we said make SURE!!! You use a reputable modular machinist that knows how to p&p a modular engine, or it will be effed up.

post #12 of 35 Old September 9th, 2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Regular

yea, i got it all together now. i just wanted to know if i could surprise a few unexpecting ppl with my setup...leave a few ppl at a red light. depending on my upcoming expenses, i may get the stage two cams. im just tired of my slow darn-near stock gt and wanna feel a lil harder kick. but i still wanna know if bigger injectors and/or maybe msd coils and wires would make a moderate power difference, if any, too after i do all those other mods???
post #13 of 35 Old September 9th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Enthusiast

No, and no. Keep stock coils and wires. And injectors will do nothing for you, until you start making serious upgrades. P&p heads, pi cams or aftermarket, intake, and a tune. All the stuff you are naming is just money wasted until you have the big things done. And loose the tb spacer, it makes a good paper weight.

post #14 of 35 Old September 9th, 2012, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Regular

ok. i guess im done here.....for now.

K&N CAI, Throttle Body Spacer, MAC o/r ProChamber, Flowmasters, 373 gears
post #15 of 35 Old September 9th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Enthusiast

Roger. Have you gotten any quotes for porting yet?

post #16 of 35 Old September 9th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

If any injectors to change to it would be ev6 . you need adapters which are like 20 bucks for all 8 but its one of the better upgrades i did mpg wise and they made a noticeable kick the car lacked before lol.

post #17 of 35 Old September 10th, 2012, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Regular

nah, no quote yet. the guy who i want to do it is somebody who ive heard about from a few guys around here (south louisiana), one guy who actually deals strictly with mustangs, and another guy who has a 408w fox. and to hear it from these guys that he does a darn good job, i believe that he'll be my best best. im just waiting for the guy to get the number for me so i can call the shop and get the quote. i wont actually be getting the work done until either later this year or beginning of next year. but imma also check out those injectors too.

post #18 of 35 Old September 10th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_14 View Post
nah, no quote yet. the guy who i want to do it is somebody who ive heard about from a few guys around here (south louisiana), one guy who actually deals strictly with mustangs, and another guy who has a 408w fox. and to hear it from these guys that he does a darn good job, i believe that he'll be my best best. im just waiting for the guy to get the number for me so i can call the shop and get the quote. i wont actually be getting the work done until either later this year or beginning of next year. but imma also check out those injectors too.
Where you at. Im getting my 4v heads and block machined and ported by tims racing in gretna. Dude does amazing work . including building cars from the ground up . so legit.

post #19 of 35 Old September 10th, 2012, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Regular

i stay in donaldsonville. i didnt realize your thing said new orleans. and i just got the number for the guy in baton rouge today. the guys name is alvin calhoun i believe in east baton rouge. and the guy that gave me his number is billy goodwin out here in donaldsonville and he's pretty reputable around here as far as mustangs go and he builds cars as well. but i havent called alvin yet to get a quote, but how much will it cost for your heads to be worked? i might have to give them a call to to see who has the best prices.

post #20 of 35 Old September 10th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Enthusiast

Its by no means cheap to get them done, and you want to make sure they are done right, so you will have to pay to play.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page