Squeaky belt - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old November 20th, 2012, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
3v reppin'

Squeaky belt

My belt was chirping really bad, so I went ahead and pulled the head unit off and replaced the belt. Initially it wasn't making any noise. Now it is starting to chirp just a little bit. I swapped the idler pulley for a little bit smaller one because my belt was extremely tight after adding a Roush tensioner.

My question, is it too tight or too loose when a brand new belt is squeaking? Also, could it be something going out, like a pulley on something seizing up that's causing the noise. It's intermittent. The car runs great even when it's making the noise.

Anything that can point me in the right direction, or any direction is appreciated.

2007 GT Convertible Build Thread
Vortech V3 trim, FRPP Intake manifold, MAC LT's, Prochamber, Ford Racing 3:73 gears, FRPP springs, Hurst Billet shifter, FRPP 62mm Throttle body, tuned by True Street Motorsports. 523 rwhp 440 lbft torque
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old November 20th, 2012, 05:32 PM
KILLER

Is it squeaking only at idol? Does it speed up when you rev it?

2013 Trinity TVS Powered!!
WHP: 615
TQ: 610
Boost: 16lbs

Addicted
post #3 of 30 Old November 20th, 2012, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
3v reppin'

Seems like it stops when I put a load on the engine. Squeaks at idle then stops as I take off. It's starts to squeak more initially when I rev it to take off then goes away.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Vortech V3 trim, FRPP Intake manifold, MAC LT's, Prochamber, Ford Racing 3:73 gears, FRPP springs, Hurst Billet shifter, FRPP 62mm Throttle body, tuned by True Street Motorsports. 523 rwhp 440 lbft torque
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old November 20th, 2012, 08:04 PM
KILLER

Try spraying a tiny bit of WD40 on each pulley one at a time and see when it stops.. If it stops squeaking on a pulley, replace that pulley. Also ive heard that pulleys can kinda get glazed over like rotors do, and that alittle bit of light sanding can fix the squeak.

I might also try putting the breaker bar on the idler and relieving a little bit of pressure on the belt and see if it stops the chirp. If it does, it just means the new belt needs to stretch alittle bit i think.

Pulley alignment might also be off. If the above doesnt fix it, id rent a laser aligner and see if a pulley is off.

Addicted
post #5 of 30 Old November 20th, 2012, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
3v reppin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by stri8ed View Post
Try spraying a tiny bit of WD40 on each pulley one at a time and see when it stops.. If it stops squeaking on a pulley, replace that pulley. Also ive heard that pulleys can kinda get glazed over like rotors do, and that alittle bit of light sanding can fix the squeak.

I might also try putting the breaker bar on the idler and relieving a little bit of pressure on the belt and see if it stops the chirp. If it does, it just means the new belt needs to stretch alittle bit i think.

Pulley alignment might also be off. If the above doesnt fix it, id rent a laser aligner and see if a pulley is off.
My fear is this is the problem.

I'm having trouble diagnosing it because when I got home, it had stopped. FML

post #6 of 30 Old November 20th, 2012, 08:50 PM
KILLER

Hmm, well i cant help u with the fact it stops when u get home lol. Also, i think i heard that if you spray the belt with a light mist of water while its squeeking and it stops, then its the belt.. If it doesnt stop, its a pulley.

Addicted
post #7 of 30 Old November 20th, 2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
3v reppin'

I sprayed it with belt conditioner and it started then stopped.

post #8 of 30 Old November 20th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Hardon Enthusiast

drive it to a long straight low traffic road, then beat the shit out of it! usually works on my truck lol. it could break or fix itself, either way it will be fun!

no i dont do this with my car.....

i think its probably just a new belt, is it a constant like squeal or a chirp chirp chirp?

Hurst, C&L Racer, Shortys, Pypes Violators, Pypes Off Road X, CMDPs
CHE K Brace, Strange 10pt rear shocks, J&M LCAs, SCT Bama 93 Race Tune
post #9 of 30 Old November 20th, 2012, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
3v reppin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenevides89 View Post
drive it to a long straight low traffic road, then beat the shit out of it! usually works on my truck lol. it could break or fix itself, either way it will be fun!

no i dont do this with my car.....

i think its probably just a new belt, is it a constant like squeal or a chirp chirp chirp?
Chirping.

post #10 of 30 Old November 20th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Hardon Enthusiast

try a stethoscope on each of the pullies to at least find out where its coming from. once you locate it it will probably jump right out whats wrong.

Hurst, C&L Racer, Shortys, Pypes Violators, Pypes Off Road X, CMDPs
CHE K Brace, Strange 10pt rear shocks, J&M LCAs, SCT Bama 93 Race Tune
post #11 of 30 Old November 20th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Sheriff Metal Face

Belts most likely too loose. Don't use belt conditioner. Get a tighter belt.

post #12 of 30 Old November 20th, 2012, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
3v reppin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris951 View Post
Belts most likely too loose. Don't use belt conditioner. Get a tighter belt.

I'm gonna swap idler pulleys back to the larger one and see if that stops it.

post #13 of 30 Old November 20th, 2012, 10:32 PM
The Despised Vert

Send a message via Yahoo to 2006greyGT
remove, clean and reinstall the idlers.. and put them in different positions. I had the same problem and I got billet idlers from Procharger and haven't had the problem since.

KB 2.6l 4.9l forged stroker 2 1/2" Exhaust Cloth Top

NUMBER 3 Official member of the "My Car Sucks And No One Likes It But Me" CLUB
post #14 of 30 Old November 20th, 2012, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
3v reppin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006greyGT View Post
remove, clean and reinstall the idlers.. and put them in different positions. I had the same problem and I got billet idlers from Procharger and haven't had the problem since.
To swap the idler pulleys I have to remove the supercharger. Ugh!

post #15 of 30 Old November 20th, 2012, 10:50 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Take a dab of silicone adhesive. Put it on the ribbed side of the belt. Start the car and let it idle for 4-5 minutes so it smears it all the way around. Little bird should be gone. It's a little old school, but it works, trust me.

Go try it right now and let me know what a genius I am.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #16 of 30 Old November 21st, 2012, 08:37 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
I'm gonna swap idler pulleys back to the larger one and see if that stops it.

When I did my 8 groove PS pump pulley swap, My belt ticked at 1st, then started chirping, I thought it was the alignment of the PS pulley and the 8 rib idler but then I figured out the belt was rubbing on the rear of the water pump pulley.

I shimmed the 8 rib idler with a 5/8" grade 8 washer to move the belt forward on the water pump pulley and the chirp went away.
post #17 of 30 Old November 21st, 2012, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
3v reppin'

Thanks, I'll check that out.

post #18 of 30 Old November 21st, 2012, 08:49 AM
Enthusiast

I actually had this exact same problem with my stang a little while back. First time I replaced the belt, since it seemed like all the pulleys were good and of course, the noise went away. Eventually though, it came right back after all of about a month.

Couldn't figure it out at all until I slipped while I was underneath the hood on the alternator and I saw that it had some give to it. The pulley on the alternator itself was shot. So I went ahead and replaced the alternator altogether and now, no more squeak.
post #19 of 30 Old November 21st, 2012, 02:15 PM
Regular

As mentioned if you spray water on the ribs of the belt and it goes away then it is the belt not in-line with one of the pulleys. I'm fighting the same issue now, just can't figure out which is out of alignment a little.

The chirp is the belt catching part of the way in the pulley ribs and it chirps as it slides into place to the bottom of the pulley. It will go away as it warms because the belt becomes softer with heat.
post #20 of 30 Old December 1st, 2012, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
3v reppin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
Take a dab of silicone adhesive. Put it on the ribbed side of the belt. Start the car and let it idle for 4-5 minutes so it smears it all the way around. Little bird should be gone. It's a little old school, but it works, trust me.

Go try it right now and let me know what a genius I am.
You are a fucking genius. Thanks for the tip.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page