Door panel leather - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old March 23rd, 2013, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Noob

Door panel leather

Do they sell new leather inserts to replace our shitty ones? Mine peeled off and I want to get a different colored one or even the same colored, but mine are ruined.

2006 GT- 4.10s, 93 Hybrid Race Tune, K&N CAI, CMPDs, Pacesetter Long Tubes, O/R H Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Backs, UDPs, SR 1.5 Lowering Springs, J&M LCAs with relos, and J&M Panhard Bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old March 23rd, 2013, 10:17 PM
Regular

By ruined does that mean they actually look bad/ are damaged or have they just peeled away? It's pretty easy to glue them back on using either a spray adhesive or contact cement.

If you do re glue them using the contact cement make sure you use enough, I tried to spread mine out too much and now one side is coming off where I didn't get enough on it, but the rest of it hasn't budged and looks perfect

JLT CAI, Bama tuner, MAC LTs/prochamber, flowmaster A/Ts, and much more to come
post #3 of 25 Old March 23rd, 2013, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Noob

They are torn up and crappy looking, I just want new ones. I aready saw a post of how to contact cement them back on.

2006 GT- 4.10s, 93 Hybrid Race Tune, K&N CAI, CMPDs, Pacesetter Long Tubes, O/R H Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Backs, UDPs, SR 1.5 Lowering Springs, J&M LCAs with relos, and J&M Panhard Bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old March 23rd, 2013, 10:23 PM
FBGM

I dont thing they sell them, but I think they sell the entire door panel itself but just make sure you get both of them. You could take it to an interior shop and see.

Saleen SuperCharged, C500 Side Exhaust, Cervinis Ram Air IV Hood, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Chrome GT500 Replica wheels, GT500 Front Splitter ModBMR 1.25 Lowering Springs, ADJ Panhard Bar, CHE Torque Limiters and K Member Brace
post #5 of 25 Old March 23rd, 2013, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Noob

Door panels are so expensive tho lol. Ill try the upholstery places to see if they could make me custom ones

post #6 of 25 Old March 23rd, 2013, 10:33 PM
FBGM

You could do that, but I bet you could find a junkyard S197 with those intact, I dont belive that there are air bags in their so they prob wont be damaged.

Saleen SuperCharged, C500 Side Exhaust, Cervinis Ram Air IV Hood, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Chrome GT500 Replica wheels, GT500 Front Splitter ModBMR 1.25 Lowering Springs, ADJ Panhard Bar, CHE Torque Limiters and K Member Brace
post #7 of 25 Old March 23rd, 2013, 11:49 PM
Eat Springs, Shit Valves

Get a leather or upholstery shop to make new ones. Shouldn't be hard as long as yours are still in one piece to make a pattern.
post #8 of 25 Old March 24th, 2013, 01:18 AM
Make Me Squirt

Door panel leather

There's a thread on s197 I think where a guy recovers his door inserts with Alacantra. It's just glued on vinyl. Take off the door panel, remove the armrest, take off the leather, put in your new stuff! Done!

I already talked my woman into doing it for me soon. Hehe.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

TORCH RED APPRECIATION CLUB

C&L Racer | Eibach Pro-Kit | BMR LCAs + Relo | BMR PHB | MGW |
GT500 Strut Mounts | Bassanni Axlebacks | OR-H |Tokico D-Spec |
post #9 of 25 Old March 24th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

i have reglued mine as well and they look better than ok, but not perfect. my question is, if i had an upholstery shop redo them (or do it myself) what would i need to make sure was done so they did not peel like the stock ones? is it just poor quality fake leather or crappy glue that ford uses? so far my drivers door has lasted going on 3 years and the passenger side is going on 1.5 years and still sticking well for the most part.
post #10 of 25 Old March 24th, 2013, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Noob

I would assume its the glue and the nasty stuff behind the the leather. The leather actually seems like decent quality

post #11 of 25 Old March 24th, 2013, 01:18 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Many places won't do our door panel inserts because the arm rest has to be broken to remove it, and then there is the issue of attaching them again.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #12 of 25 Old March 24th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

ive looked into this before, you cant buy just the leather, atleast i could never find a place that would sell the stock leather. You either have to buy the whole door panel, have an upholstery shop do it, or buy the fabric/cut the leather yourself. Its truly a pain dealing with this door panel leather crap lol
post #13 of 25 Old March 24th, 2013, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Noob

Re: Door panel leather

Yup this is very irritating. Huge ford flaw

post #14 of 25 Old March 24th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

the handle has to be broken off??? that bites.
post #15 of 25 Old March 24th, 2013, 03:37 PM
MM's Official Lucifer

Send a message via AIM to goren813
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
Many places won't do our door panel inserts because the arm rest has to be broken to remove it, and then there is the issue of attaching them again.
Why does it have to be broken?

"Fast she goes...in the city of Overdose"
post #16 of 25 Old March 24th, 2013, 04:03 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by goren813 View Post
Why does it have to be broken?
Because there are no fasteners to undo. It is permanently fixed to the panel. So you have to break it off of the panel if you want to reupholster it and then figure out a way to reattach it to the panel good enough so you can grab it and close the door with it.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #17 of 25 Old March 24th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Make Me Squirt

Door panel leather

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showt...16#post1484616

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showt...20#post1526620

I don't know if you guys know this, but the leather isn't one solid piece that's held in place by the arm rest. The leather just goes AROUND that arm rest. You can pull the leather completely and put in new leather without removing the arm rest. Here are two people that did.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

TORCH RED APPRECIATION CLUB

C&L Racer | Eibach Pro-Kit | BMR LCAs + Relo | BMR PHB | MGW |
GT500 Strut Mounts | Bassanni Axlebacks | OR-H |Tokico D-Spec |
post #18 of 25 Old March 25th, 2013, 03:02 PM
cammed, geared, and blown

https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...l-install.html

| KB 2.6L | MGW | 4.10 | UMI | CHE | Steeda | Eibach | SCT | VMP | Pypes | EBC | Stop Tech | Prothane | Comp SPR | Shelby |
post #19 of 25 Old March 25th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
Because there are no fasteners to undo. It is permanently fixed to the panel. So you have to break it off of the panel if you want to reupholster it and then figure out a way to reattach it to the panel good enough so you can grab it and close the door with it.
Actually, they can be removed (and reinstalled) with a plastic welder, which any good upholstery shop will have.

Fuel Altereds Rule The Earth
post #20 of 25 Old March 25th, 2013, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Noob

That's awesome! thank you! REPS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page