Problem with water collecting due to convertible top - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old April 17th, 2013, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Admanistrator

Send a message via AIM to v606er
Angry Problem with water collecting due to convertible top

I know the usual issue with the water draining into the passenger side foot well. I keep those front drains clean, and I park in my driveway with the nose pointed downhill. (Otherwise I still get water in when it rains, even with clean drains)

This issue is supposedly convertible specific; I collect water right behind the front seats, in the body panel, just on the outside of those speakers by the rear seat. The water gets in along the joint between the top and the body panel. Water runs off the roof and back glass, then it drains through somewhere. But apparently over the years leaves and junk have clogged my drains.

(Not my car shown) this is about where I hear the sloshing, in red. The water is probably collecting around the yellow circle somewhere in the body panel.

I talked to the dealership a few months back when I was having this issue, but it didn't rain too much over the winter, and I didn't notice it as a problem. They did mention that verts have a drain that exits either in front or behind the rear wheel well. It seems it drains just before the wheel. But it's hard to tell. The dealer said the only way to access the water is to take either the interior out or maybe take the body panels off. I don't really remember what he said, but it sounded difficult (expensive for them to do).

Now I have water sloshing 24/7. It rained on Friday night and I still had water until I washed my car last night. Now I have noticeably (audible) more water.

It's downright infuriating. Washing my car is no longer pleasurable because I know that I will just have water behind me for....ever it seems. It's a good amount of water too. Solid sloshing.

The problem is worse on the driver side than the passenger side, as the passenger side must have less of a clog. It does drain, but very slowly. My driveway is soaked under my car, around where I mentioned the drain port may be. The water doesn't seem to be getting into the passenger compartment anywhere, so that's good.

I'm considering this; I'll lift the car up, then use a power drill to bore the drain hole out. I mentioned this to my dad, but he is concerned that it could create a spark by the gas tank...I don't think this is a realistic concern, is it?

Besides drilling out the hole, is there anything else I can do?

Any sympathizers out there having this same issue?

Fun little aside; one time after a rain, I had water under the passenger carpet, and something electrical got wet and basically the power stayed on to the radio, window controls, and temperature controls. Fun fun fun having the power stay on with the key out and the door open. It magically resolved itself after a day, once it dried.

Cliffs/TL;DR: Water is pooling up in the body panel beside the rear seats, how can I fix this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
i liked the chilean miners before they went all mainstream. i liked them back when they were still underground.
MAD Stangs #8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old April 17th, 2013, 11:14 AM
better than clockWise

Where you at man? Sounds like something we could tackle in a day in the driveway.

post #3 of 5 Old April 17th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Regular

Pulled from somewhere on the web and I cleaned up the multiple spelling errors since I'm anal like that.

Don't know if it's right or not and will check mine when I get home to see if they are there.

"2006 mustang, there are drain plugs for the quarter panels, they are in the rear of the car, look for the spot where the jack fits the frame, there is a hole in the middle, this is not it, about 2 in behind that is a small 1 in wide by 1/2 slot that is the drain hole, stick a flat head screwdriver up the slot to clear it, dirt, leaves, and pine needles fall down the side of your convertible and clog the holes"

And there's this one:
http://www.justanswer.com/ford/5vjv1...-ran-hose.html

As far as drilling goes, no I wouldn't be worried about the gas tank exploding but would be worried about it rusting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old April 17th, 2013, 12:49 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Drill some holes and brush some rust inhibiting primer in the holes. Don't worry about sparks. Unless you have a leak you'll be fine.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #5 of 5 Old April 17th, 2013, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Admanistrator

Send a message via AIM to v606er
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
Where you at man? Sounds like something we could tackle in a day in the driveway.
Viriginia. I'd love a tackle buddy, as I no longer have access to a real jack or jack stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawagner View Post
Pulled from somewhere on the web and I cleaned up the multiple spelling errors since I'm anal like that.

Don't know if it's right or not and will check mine when I get home to see if they are there.

"2006 mustang, there are drain plugs for the quarter panels, they are in the rear of the car, look for the spot where the jack fits the frame, there is a hole in the middle, this is not it, about 2 in behind that is a small 1 in wide by 1/2 slot that is the drain hole, stick a flat head screwdriver up the slot to clear it, dirt, leaves, and pine needles fall down the side of your convertible and clog the holes"

And there's this one:
http://www.justanswer.com/ford/5vjv1...-ran-hose.html

As far as drilling goes, no I wouldn't be worried about the gas tank exploding but would be worried about it rusting.
Fantastic link. It goes step by step how to fix both the front and rear issues. Good find

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
Drill some holes and brush some rust inhibiting primer in the holes. Don't worry about sparks. Unless you have a leak you'll be fine.
Good advice, hopefully Wagner's link will get me all fixed up and I won't have to drill after all.

Reps all around. I'll take some pics when I get a chance to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
i liked the chilean miners before they went all mainstream. i liked them back when they were still underground.
MAD Stangs #8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/modular-mustangs/299980-problem-water-collecting-due-convertible-top.html
Posted By For Type Date
Mustang v ??????! ???? ?????????? ? ?????? ??????? ????? ?????. (???????? ??????) - ??? ????????? 2005+ - Russian Mustang Club This thread Refback July 16th, 2018 09:53 PM