Hooking up a water temp gauge - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old June 14th, 2013, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
gtscrewd

Hooking up a water temp gauge

Did a search but can't find a write up for my year. I know how to wire the gauge but where does the sensor go? Does it screw in some where do I have to drill anything out?

tuned by performance dyno 496 rwhp 432 rwtq
July 2013 rotm winner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old June 14th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Noob

I was wondering this same exact thing. I just bought one

2006 GT- 4.10s, 93 Hybrid Race Tune, K&N CAI, CMPDs, Pacesetter Long Tubes, O/R H Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Backs, UDPs, SR 1.5 Lowering Springs, J&M LCAs with relos, and J&M Panhard Bar
post #3 of 17 Old June 14th, 2013, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
gtscrewd

I looked on another forum looks like it connects to the block right above the drivers side engine mount.

July 2013 rotm winner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old June 14th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Regular

Im adding the same, need the same info!
post #5 of 17 Old June 15th, 2013, 12:36 AM
Regular

Take a look at this..
Water Temp Gauge Adapter | eBay

From what I seen before most drill and tap the pass side crossover tube.
post #6 of 17 Old June 15th, 2013, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
gtscrewd

Thanks ryan reps. Which size is for our cars there's a few there that looks better than going at the block.

July 2013 rotm winner
post #7 of 17 Old June 15th, 2013, 02:15 AM
Regular

Shoot man you got there. I would measure your hose and try to convert it over.. I think using one of those would give you less headaches in the end.
post #8 of 17 Old June 15th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryank View Post
Take a look at this..
Water Temp Gauge Adapter | eBay

From what I seen before most drill and tap the pass side crossover tube.
Sweet! Thanks for the link. What hose would you run this in tho?

2006 GT- 4.10s, 93 Hybrid Race Tune, K&N CAI, CMPDs, Pacesetter Long Tubes, O/R H Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Backs, UDPs, SR 1.5 Lowering Springs, J&M LCAs with relos, and J&M Panhard Bar
post #9 of 17 Old June 15th, 2013, 12:20 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Radiator hose going to the radiator from the block. Just cut and clamp.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #10 of 17 Old June 15th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Regular

Very nice! thanks!
post #11 of 17 Old August 2nd, 2013, 10:30 PM
Noob

Which hose goes from the radiator to the block?

post #12 of 17 Old August 2nd, 2013, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
gtscrewd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittlePony1 View Post
Which hose goes from the radiator to the block?
Pretty sure the top on just follow it.

July 2013 rotm winner
post #13 of 17 Old August 3rd, 2013, 01:33 AM

And it's block to radiator. I might have said it kind of confusing 'cause I wrote "to the radiator from the block." You don't want to read your water temp after it's been cooled, that won't give you a clue as to how hot the motor is getting. Another issue with that location though is you won't get any kind of a reading until your thermostate starts to open up. That is why many opt to put it in the block itself or in the crossover. That will give you the most accurate reading 100% of the time.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #14 of 17 Old August 3rd, 2013, 08:28 AM
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
And it's block to radiator. I might have said it kind of confusing 'cause I wrote "to the radiator from the block." You don't want to read your water temp after it's been cooled, that won't give you a clue as to how hot the motor is getting. Another issue with that location though is you won't get any kind of a reading until your thermostate starts to open up. That is why many opt to put it in the block itself or in the crossover. That will give you the most accurate reading 100% of the time.
So is that the top one on the passenger side? I know it would be more accurate straight onto the block but I don't want to screw it up if I have to drill

post #15 of 17 Old August 3rd, 2013, 01:09 PM

If you want you can just unbolt your coolant crossover and take it to a machine shop or automitive shop. Tell them it's for a sensor and they will know what to do. I think there is a boss on there that works perfect but I'll have to check that when I get home from golf. But I believe it is the top one. It should be after the thermostat.

post #16 of 17 Old August 3rd, 2013, 01:15 PM
At the Apex pulling 1.28g

Send a message via Yahoo to Whiskey11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
Hey Boss, do you happen to know the temp difference of the water before and after the radiator? When I set up water cooled PC's the difference in temp between pre and post radiator is rarely more than a degree. Obviously a water cooling setup for a PC is much smaller but the idea is exactly the same. Basically the temperature of the coolant equalizes throughout the loop and all larger or more radiators do is lower the highest temp the coolant reaches. Now I'm not sure if that applies to cars or not as there is a lot more temperature in an engine block than a PC processor or a Video card processor but that is why I'm asking!

2015 Mustang GT/PP Autocross Build Thread:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-pp-build.html
post #17 of 17 Old August 3rd, 2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey11 View Post
Hey Boss, do you happen to know the temp difference of the water before and after the radiator? When I set up water cooled PC's the difference in temp between pre and post radiator is rarely more than a degree. Obviously a water cooling setup for a PC is much smaller but the idea is exactly the same. Basically the temperature of the coolant equalizes throughout the loop and all larger or more radiators do is lower the highest temp the coolant reaches. Now I'm not sure if that applies to cars or not as there is a lot more temperature in an engine block than a PC processor or a Video card processor but that is why I'm asking!
Don't know for sure but I'm going to take a wild stab here it I would say about 20-25 degrees. I do know that the difference between tranny fluid in the pan is about 30* less than what is going to the cooler. Found that out when I was going to do a tranny temp gauge and wanted to put the sensor in place of the dipstick in the pan.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page