Will I benefit from increasing my rev limiter? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old June 19th, 2013, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Will I benefit from increasing my rev limiter?

Hi all, I was wondering if a rev limiter increase will benefit me at all? I have FRPP cams, FRPP intake manifold, roush cai, long tubes, off road x, pypes mid muffler, 4.10s and a 75 shot which I rarely use (like 5 times since I got the kit a year ago.) I know the factory valve train is limited to about 6,800 rpm if I remember correctly. Would shifting at say...6500 give me a little more bang for my buck? Thanks for any help or comments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old June 19th, 2013, 03:12 AM
MM Fanatic

If you have a cam yea, otherwise not really. The frpp intake is meant to raise your powerband but isnt really useful unless you have cams, heads or boost

I just reread and saw u do have cams so yea itll extend your powerband. Btw hows ur stang off the line since it doesnt have imrc's and a cam?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #3 of 24 Old June 19th, 2013, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Regular

It's actually pretty awesome off the line. Enough so that I beat a GT500 without using my nitrous. The GT500 driver was a coworker of mine and he sold it a week after that run. Don't ask me how a 3V beat a cobra but it happened. More than likely I was a better driver but the guy has been driving race cars for years...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old June 19th, 2013, 07:14 AM
gtscrewd

What is yours set at? To me not worth buying a engine to gain a few hp the power is starting to drop off at that point also

---------- Post added at 06:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustcruisinGT View Post
It's actually pretty awesome off the line. Enough so that I beat a GT500 without using my nitrous. The GT500 driver was a coworker of mine and he sold it a week after that run. Don't ask me how a 3V beat a cobra but it happened. More than likely I was a better driver but the guy has been driving race cars for years...
How? No really? Was his whipple out sick that day not buying it sorry.

tuned by performance dyno 496 rwhp 432 rwtq
July 2013 rotm winner
post #5 of 24 Old June 19th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Like A Boss

Not unless you go get dynoed and see where you stop making power, then set your limiter there.

Carolina Crew #54
Always Clean Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by narleycarley View Post
I coached his boy in basketball last season. Giggity giggity
post #6 of 24 Old June 19th, 2013, 08:40 AM
At the Apex pulling 1.28g

Send a message via Yahoo to Whiskey11
To add from another perspective, increasing your rev limiter also increases your MPH in certain gears which on a road course can mean less shifting and in autocross it means no shifting at all out of second which means more concentration on getting your car around the perfect line is easier!

2015 Mustang GT/PP Autocross Build Thread:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-pp-build.html
post #7 of 24 Old June 19th, 2013, 02:09 PM
'Murica

Garage
I've noticed the 2010 has a redline of 6500. Does the 05-09 have the same? Is it worth it to take it to redline? I've never dyno'ed this car to see the powerband.

2009 Chevrolet Corvette
post #8 of 24 Old June 19th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Like A Boss

2005-09 has a 6250 redline, i believe

Carolina Crew #54
Always Clean Crew
Quote:
post #9 of 24 Old June 19th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
I would believe you beat him off the line since stock gears on a gt500 are 3.31's but he should've reeled you in.
post #10 of 24 Old June 19th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Resident Diabetic...

I have mine set right around 6500, I have pushed it past that a bit from time to time. But I start to get scared around 6700 lol.

2006 GT ~C&L Racer~Steeda UDP~JBA LT~Pypes O/R X Pipe~Borla S-Type A/B~MGW Shifter~FRPP K Springs~Koni STRT.S~J&M Panhard Bar~3.73.
2011 F150 4X4 Lariat Coyote. Ball Cooling Seats. Gibson Dualsport.
2011 Explorer Limited.
post #11 of 24 Old June 19th, 2013, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by faym 08 View Post
What is yours set at? To me not worth buying a engine to gain a few hp the power is starting to drop off at that point also

---------- Post added at 06:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 AM ----------

How? No really? Was his whipple out sick that day not buying it sorry.
Well anything can happen on the street. We all know that 99.9% of the time a GT500 will whoop a 3Vs ass. I'm chalking it up to driver ability and traction, that and I believe a 06 GT500 weighs a few hundred pounds more than a 2010 GT
post #12 of 24 Old June 19th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Like A Boss

That's cause the 06 gt500 doesn't exist

Carolina Crew #54
Always Clean Crew
Quote:
post #13 of 24 Old June 19th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Well anything can happen on the street. We all know that 99.9% of the time a GT500 will whoop a 3Vs ass. I'm chalking it up to driver ability and traction, that and I believe a 06 GT500 weighs a few hundred pounds more than a 2010 GT
Did the driver of the ultra rare 06 gt500 know you were racing?
post #14 of 24 Old June 19th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Priest of the Car Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackpotfox View Post
Not unless you go get dynoed and see where you stop making power, then set your limiter there.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey11 View Post
To add from another perspective, increasing your rev limiter also increases your MPH in certain gears which on a road course can mean less shifting and in autocross it means no shifting at all out of second which means more concentration on getting your car around the perfect line is easier!
And this.

Nothing to be gained from just upping the limiter arbitrarily, but with your mods you're making power past the point where a stock motor starts dropping off. The flipside of this is that the stock rev limiter is put there for a reason; Ford isn't going to put 9000 rpm parts in a motor that they limit to 6500 rpm. I'm not sure what the stock internals and valvetrain are good to, but if I recall my physics correctly, stress goes up exponentially with speed.

Short version is what I quoted; get your car dyno'd, see how your power curve looks, and set your limit accordingly.

Function > Form, always
post #15 of 24 Old June 19th, 2013, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Black Beauty View Post
Did the driver of the ultra rare 06 gt500 know you were racing?
I meant 07. Yes he was well aware. I don't see what the big deal is, his car was 100% stock including the tires while i have nitto drag radials, his lack of traction is what lead the outcome of the race.

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendDexter View Post
This.

And this.

Nothing to be gained from just upping the limiter arbitrarily, but with your mods you're making power past the point where a stock motor starts dropping off. The flipside of this is that the stock rev limiter is put there for a reason; Ford isn't going to put 9000 rpm parts in a motor that they limit to 6500 rpm. I'm not sure what the stock internals and valvetrain are good to, but if I recall my physics correctly, stress goes up exponentially with speed.

Short version is what I quoted; get your car dyno'd, see how your power curve looks, and set your limit accordingly.
One of the biggest reasons I wanted to increase my rev limiter is to also gain more mph per gear. Especially since I top around 130 mph.
post #16 of 24 Old June 19th, 2013, 07:58 PM
gtscrewd

You don't see what the big deal is^^ he is about 500 at the crank and your like 300 with your mods at best I think he was playing with you.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

You sure he doesn't just have cobra badgeing

tuned by performance dyno 496 rwhp 432 rwtq
July 2013 rotm winner
post #17 of 24 Old June 19th, 2013, 08:13 PM
'Murica

Garage
I'd say with his mods he is above 300 but not by a bunch. I think you could definitely beat the driver but not the car. Strange things happen on the street.

2009 Chevrolet Corvette
post #18 of 24 Old June 19th, 2013, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Regular

I dynoed 337 rwhp on motor, 415 on the spray . Remember spinning ain't winning. We only ran till about 85 mph, gears and traction are fundamental in racing lol. Am I saying my little shit box 3v is faster than a cobra? Fuck no lol. I'm just saying I had one run where I beat a GT500, not by much obviously his bumper was on my ass. I can name off a few other cars that handed my ass to me including other snakes and the coyotes seem to pull incredibly hard on me. the only time i ever used the spray in a race was against a new M3 and i beat him by a mile. I think everyone is over reacting about this, it's a street race anything can happen, especially when you have traction, gears, hell i bet even the mgw shifter helped me in this case and the more powerful car doesn't lol.
post #19 of 24 Old June 20th, 2013, 12:55 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
I meant 07. Yes he was well aware. I don't see what the big deal is, his car was 100% stock including the tires while i have nitto drag radials, his lack of traction is what lead the outcome of the race.

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

One of the biggest reasons I wanted to increase my rev limiter is to also gain more mph per gear. Especially since I top around 130 mph.
With 4.10's you are not topped out at 130....at least mine does over that with my 4.10's. increasing your rev limited will NOT increase your top speed either since we do not have the power to redline 5th. If you hit 6500 in 5th with 26" tires you are going approx 180, 27" 187 and 28" 194.

07 gt, CMS cams, hurst, CAI/tuned, LT's, o/r h, m80's, FRPP mani, UDP, lowered with steeda 1.25/1.5, exedy mach 400/race flywheel, 1-pc DS, BMR upper/lowers, 4.10's, CHE brace with TL's, and a few other things that dont add up to much.
post #20 of 24 Old June 20th, 2013, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Regular

I don't go wide open throttle in 5th gear. That's over drive, from what I hear it isn't good to use 5th like that. I may be wrong but the few times I did attempt it the gearing in 5th accelerated so slow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/modular-mustangs/305894-will-i-benefit-increasing-my-rev-limiter.html
Posted By For Type Date
Will I benefit from increasing my rev limiter? This thread Refback June 19th, 2013 10:56 AM