Are there high enough high flow cats? - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old July 5th, 2013, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Look Ma! My First Post!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Are there high enough high flow cats?

I am currently running an 08 GT 500 putting down abour 750 rwhp and the car definitely moves, but the sound is awful. I have american racing long tube headers and used to have american racing cats but they were blown out. Because of this, the sound is EXTREMELY raspy and I cant stand it anymore. My question though is can I tune my car to stop from blowing out the american racing high flow cats, or are there other cats that I could buy that wont get blown out? I want something to cut down the rasp so it has that deep sound that the mustangs are famous for. Any suggestions on what I can do to solve the rasp problem?
Street_GT500 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old July 6th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beavercreek, Ohio
Posts: 1,276
   
iTrader: 0 reviews
na svt is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old August 9th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Premium Member
 
02sonicGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 1,906
           
Garage
iTrader: 1 reviews
I have read that high hp and or blown motors tend to blow out cats rather quickly. I recently blew out my pypes "high flow" cat on my vortech stang. I switched from the ceramic substrate to their metallic substrate model per their website recommendation which explained the metallic was specifically designed for boosted cars.

They sound the same as my old ones, but time will tell if they hold up.


Sent from AutoGuide.com App


SOLD : 02 Sonic Blue GT - Vortech V3-Si, Treadstone TRV25O, Tial Q, PMAS HPX MAF
SOLD : 14 Ruby Red F150 Ecoboost
15 Mustang GT PP - SCT Tune & Exhaust.
Click Here to see my 02 Vortech V3 Build Thread
02sonicGT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 Old August 9th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Francisco Ca
Posts: 178
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
I would weld in the factory Ford cats as they are higher quality than the aftermarket stuff.
Cobraracer46 is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old August 9th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Like A Boss
 
crackpotfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 18,927
               
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02sonicGT View Post
I have read that high hp and or blown motors tend to blow out cats rather quickly. I recently blew out my pypes "high flow" cat on my vortech stang. I switched from the ceramic substrate to their metallic substrate model per their website recommendation which explained the metallic was specifically designed for boosted cars.

They sound the same as my old ones, but time will tell if they hold up.


Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Gonna call bs. You're saying that ferraris and lamborghinis blow cats all the time? I don't see how they could sell a car with faulty cats


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Carolina Crew #54
Always Clean Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by narleycarley View Post
I coached his boy in basketball last season. Giggity giggity
crackpotfox is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old August 9th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beavercreek, Ohio
Posts: 1,276
   
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobraracer46 View Post
I would weld in the factory Ford cats as they are higher quality than the aftermarket stuff.
Do you seriously think that the stock, very restrictive, 2 1/4" cats are the best option for a 2 1/2" system?

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackpotfox View Post
Gonna call bs. You're saying that ferraris and lamborghinis blow cats all the time? I don't see how they could sell a car with faulty cats


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I'm not seeing where he mentioned either Ferrari or Lamborghini.
na svt is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old August 9th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Francisco Ca
Posts: 178
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by na svt View Post
Do you seriously think that the stock, very restrictive, 2 1/4" cats are the best option for a 2 1/2" system?

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------



I'm not seeing where he mentioned either Ferrari or Lamborghini.

http://kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Commo...aust_tests.pdf
Cobraracer46 is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old August 9th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beavercreek, Ohio
Posts: 1,276
   
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobraracer46 View Post
Like I said, when did he mention Ferraris or Lamborghini's?

BTW, my friend's GT500 picked up over 20rw with longtubes and that was at a lower boost level. There have also been numberous test that prove long tubes add power to FI combos. Don't believe everything you read and don't repost it either.
na svt is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old August 9th, 2013, 10:37 PM
MM Fanatic
 
bigjohnstud4200's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The devil's toe nail, AZ
Posts: 4,709
         
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by na svt View Post
What do you think these will do for sound? Quite honestly, I'm considering reinstalling cats to cut down on some exhaust noise.

Tuned by [email protected]

CMS Stage 1 Cams, 4.10 Gears, TrickFlow 70mm TB & Plenum, MAC Prochamber with Pypes M80's, MGW Shifter, Custom Paint, Cobra Cloth Top, Staggered Chrome 18" Saleen's and Sequential Tails.
bigjohnstud4200 is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old August 9th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beavercreek, Ohio
Posts: 1,276
   
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohnstud4200 View Post
What do you think these will do for sound? Quite honestly, I'm considering reinstalling cats to cut down on some exhaust noise.
These will not reduce sound by much at all.
na svt is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old August 9th, 2013, 11:10 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Francisco Ca
Posts: 178
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by na svt View Post
Like I said, when did he mention Ferraris or Lamborghini's?

BTW, my friend's GT500 picked up over 20rw with longtubes and that was at a lower boost level. There have also been numberous test that prove long tubes add power to FI combos. Don't believe everything you read and don't repost it either.

You are right in that you should not believe everything you read. However, Kenne Bell has the data to back up what they say about headers and high flow cats not helping make HP and furthermore, Kenne Bell could profit from selling headers and "high flow cats" but they chose not to. Integrity and truth is why some companies stay in business for years.


Speaking of reposts, check out kenne Bell challanging any one to a header and high flow dyno test as long as it's printed in a magazine.

http://kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Commo...Converters.pdf
Cobraracer46 is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old August 9th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beavercreek, Ohio
Posts: 1,276
   
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobraracer46 View Post
You are right in that you should not believe everything you read. However, Kenne Bell has the data to back up what they say about headers and high flow cats not helping make HP and furthermore, Kenne Bell could profit from selling headers and "high flow cats" but they chose not to. Integrity and truth is why some companies stay in business for years.


Speaking of reposts, check out kenne Bell challanging any one to a header and high flow dyno test as long as it's printed in a magazine.

http://kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Commo...Converters.pdf
I ask again, when did he mention Ferraris or Lamborghini's?
na svt is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old August 9th, 2013, 11:45 PM
Like A Boss
 
crackpotfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 18,927
               
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by na svt View Post
Do you seriously think that the stock, very restrictive, 2 1/4" cats are the best option for a 2 1/2" system?

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------



I'm not seeing where he mentioned either Ferrari or Lamborghini.
He said that 700 hp cars can't hold cats, i said nope and gave an example of a car.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Carolina Crew #54
Always Clean Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by narleycarley View Post
I coached his boy in basketball last season. Giggity giggity
crackpotfox is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old August 9th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Premium Member
 
02sonicGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 1,906
           
Garage
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackpotfox View Post
Gonna call bs. You're saying that ferraris and lamborghinis blow cats all the time? I don't see how they could sell a car with faulty cats


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
That is not what i said. My point was that metallic lasts longer than ceramic in heavy duty applications. Those high end cars may already run metallic for all I know.

Some examples of what I have read.

http://www.etrailer.com/question-23164.html

http://www.pysales.com/iw_products.m...3M?company=ppe

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...converter.html

http://lightspeedinnovations.rpmware...s/g-69494.aspx

Each of those sites indicate that metallic substrate is best suited for heavy duty usage. But alot of places still sell ceramic which is cheaper.

So my point to the OP was if he currently has ceramic perhaps he should look into metallic.

As for noise, use of any cat will help to tone down and reduce rasp of any exhaust setup. The honeycomb inside the cat is restrictive no matter how "high flow" it claims to be. A cat exists to clean the exhaust not flow maximum air.




Sent from AutoGuide.com App


SOLD : 02 Sonic Blue GT - Vortech V3-Si, Treadstone TRV25O, Tial Q, PMAS HPX MAF
SOLD : 14 Ruby Red F150 Ecoboost
15 Mustang GT PP - SCT Tune & Exhaust.
Click Here to see my 02 Vortech V3 Build Thread
02sonicGT is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old August 9th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Like A Boss
 
crackpotfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 18,927
               
iTrader: 0 reviews
I see.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Carolina Crew #54
Always Clean Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by narleycarley View Post
I coached his boy in basketball last season. Giggity giggity
crackpotfox is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old August 10th, 2013, 12:20 AM
Loud Exhaust Enthusiast
 
UDEAFBRO?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 5,051
                     
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackpotfox View Post
Gonna call bs. You're saying that ferraris and lamborghinis blow cats all the time? I don't see how they could sell a car with faulty cats


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Go to a Lambo dealership and find out how much their cats cost. There's a reason they cost more than your whole exhaust system.



Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee!
Dude if you had a vagina I would end you
UDEAFBRO? is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old August 10th, 2013, 12:24 AM
Like A Boss
 
crackpotfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 18,927
               
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDEAFBRO? View Post
Go to a Lambo dealership and find out how much their cats cost. There's a reason they cost more than your whole exhaust system.
Because lamborghini can charge whatever the fuck they want and the people who buy them will pay that.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Carolina Crew #54
Always Clean Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by narleycarley View Post
I coached his boy in basketball last season. Giggity giggity
crackpotfox is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old August 10th, 2013, 12:27 AM
Loud Exhaust Enthusiast
 
UDEAFBRO?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 5,051
                     
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackpotfox View Post
Because lamborghini can charge whatever the fuck they want and the people who buy them will pay that.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Do you really think that's the reason?



Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee!
Dude if you had a vagina I would end you
UDEAFBRO? is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old September 16th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Enthusiast
 
WrenchThrower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Columbus, Indiana
Posts: 782
   
iTrader: 0 reviews
cats blow out due to excess fuel and build up hydrocarbons and then self igniting. It's called an un controlled regeneration. I blew a cat out on a bone stock hyundai accent after driving 5 miles with a bad coil. It plugged up and ran like crap for a week then one day a I hear a POP and my buddy behind me said I threw out a fireball. When I wen't to have a new cat installed the shop was convinced I gutted it on purpose.


|4.10's|4200 Circle D Stall Converter|CMS Stage I cams|75 tb/Eddy Vic Jr/6061 Plenum|Long Tube Headers|SLP cat back|93 octane tune|SFI U/D's| Team Z k-member/ctrl arms| Coilovers|Strange shocks|Mild Weight Redux
WrenchThrower is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome