hood struts and fiberglass hood - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old August 13th, 2013, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Regular
 
06Stanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Grove, IL
Posts: 115
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
hood struts and fiberglass hood

Just wondering how many of you run a fiberglass hood and hood struts? I have the hood struts sitting around because I am not sure if theyd warp or crack my fiberglass hood
06Stanger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old August 14th, 2013, 04:11 AM
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 258
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
I've had a Cervini 2 1/2 " fiberglass Cowl Hood with Steeda Hood Struts for about 3 years now and without any issues. Just make sure you get a good set of Hood Struts that have strong shocks as aftermarket fiberglass hoods tend to be heavier then the stock aluminum and they won't hold it up... Have Fun !!

2007 Black on Black,Gt 6 Speed
B326 Built Stroker,FRPP CNC Ported Heads,Whipple HO SC,15psi,Steeda 10 Rib Belt Drive,Kooks LT,HotRod Cams,4:10's,Mcleod RXT Twin Disk Clutch,Tremec T56 Magnum XL...
Daily driver
709 RWHP/712 RWTQ
Mustang Dyno
GT E UPP is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old August 14th, 2013, 05:13 AM
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pasadena CA
Posts: 870
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
cervinis hood with redline hood struts for a few years now. ZERO problems



Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac1622 View Post
Ponie I will give you $100 for 1 hour with your car, no rules, no lube
her name is ponie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 Old August 14th, 2013, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Regular
 
06Stanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Grove, IL
Posts: 115
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Im pretty sure my fiberglass hood is much much lighter than my stocker. It came with that stupid hood scoop that sat on top of the cowl from the factory, my new hood is the '10 cobra jet hood, definitly much lighter. I have the hood struts from american muscle.... you think theyre high enough quality?
06Stanger is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old August 14th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Enthusiast
 
BTR-75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 680
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
The problem I've heard most often isn't a strut not holding the hood up, it's the hood bowing where the strut mounts. This occurs when the hood is in the latched position and the compressed strut is displacing the strut pressure from the under hood mount area (not flexible mount location) to the hood (given time the fiberglass hood will begin to flex).

Stock hood is aluminum, I'm not sure if a fiberglass hood is any lighter. Carbon fiber yes, but fiberglass I'm not so sure.


"Remember, in the end, nobody wins unless everybody wins." ~ Bruce Springsteen
BTR-75 is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old August 14th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: jupiter, fl
Posts: 2,991
     
iTrader: 1 reviews
Most fiberglass hoods are heavier, but some are not. The one he has is lighter and the one I am picking up this week is 6lbs lighter than the stock aluminum hood.

07 gt, CMS cams, hurst, CAI/tuned, LT's, o/r h, m80's, FRPP mani, UDP, lowered with steeda 1.25/1.5, exedy mach 400/race flywheel, 1-pc DS, BMR upper/lowers, 4.10's, CHE brace with TL's, and a few other things that dont add up to much.
fzr confused is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old August 14th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pasadena CA
Posts: 870
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
I feel like my cervinis hood is a lot heavier than the OE one



Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac1622 View Post
Ponie I will give you $100 for 1 hour with your car, no rules, no lube
her name is ponie is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old August 14th, 2013, 09:12 PM
gtscrewd
 
faym 08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 5,228
Blog Entries: 1
                   
iTrader: 3 reviews
Just installed the cpc struts on my car last night. Things are awesome went thru bangastang they have the painted kit with the 90 lb. struts that's the kit you need.

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Install a set of CPC Mustang Hood Struts....NO DRILLING

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTR-75 View Post
The problem I've heard most often isn't a strut not holding the hood up, it's the hood bowing where the strut mounts. This occurs when the hood is in the latched position and the compressed strut is displacing the strut pressure from the under hood mount area (not flexible mount location) to the hood (given time the fiberglass hood will begin to flex).

Stock hood is aluminum, I'm not sure if a fiberglass hood is any lighter. Carbon fiber yes, but fiberglass I'm not so sure.
So your saying you think it will cause the hood to bow when it's compressed and closed ? Don't see that happening if that's what you meant.

.

tuned by performance dyno 496 rwhp 432 rwtq
July 2013 rotm winner
faym 08 is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old August 15th, 2013, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Regular
 
06Stanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Grove, IL
Posts: 115
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
06Stanger is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old August 15th, 2013, 06:14 AM
gtscrewd
 
faym 08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 5,228
Blog Entries: 1
                   
iTrader: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Stanger View Post
Hmm that's light I would not put struts anywhere near that hood. A hood IMO is a place that I don't mind a little extra weight, I would deffinetley throw so hood pins on that thing though. If you haven't.

.

tuned by performance dyno 496 rwhp 432 rwtq
July 2013 rotm winner
faym 08 is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old August 15th, 2013, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Regular
 
06Stanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Grove, IL
Posts: 115
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
yup just recently put them on, they were much needed

06Stanger is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old August 15th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: jupiter, fl
Posts: 2,991
     
iTrader: 1 reviews
Such a sexy car....

07 gt, CMS cams, hurst, CAI/tuned, LT's, o/r h, m80's, FRPP mani, UDP, lowered with steeda 1.25/1.5, exedy mach 400/race flywheel, 1-pc DS, BMR upper/lowers, 4.10's, CHE brace with TL's, and a few other things that dont add up to much.
fzr confused is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old August 15th, 2013, 02:52 PM
JUS A3V
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Blue Springs, MO
Posts: 132
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzr confused View Post
Such a sexy car....
Roger that!!!!!!!!

My vis racing carbon fiber hood over the years have developed little dimples on the top surface from the mounts below it. I can take a picture of it if any one wants to see what im talking about... Its not that bad but it is very very light. I can stand at the front of the car and pick it up to remove it very easily. I figure if it gets worse to where I cant stand it ill just smooth it out and paint it.


I am also using the redlines with no problems and holding up great for 2 years now...

I was at a car show one time and a gorgeous mustang was sitting next to mine with a fiberglass hood.. A big storm rolled in and this guy was no where to be found. Everyone was scrambling around trying to get their cars buttoned up. This big gust of wind came out of no where and before I could get to his car the wind lifted the hood off the prop, broke it off at the hinges and smashed into his windshield/roof... Did all kinds of damage...

Struts ever since for me!!!
Dark:Horse is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old August 15th, 2013, 04:58 PM
gtscrewd
 
faym 08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 5,228
Blog Entries: 1
                   
iTrader: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark:Horse View Post
Roger that!!!!!!!!

My vis racing carbon fiber hood over the years have developed little dimples on the top surface from the mounts below it. I can take a picture of it if any one wants to see what im talking about... Its not that bad but it is very very light. I can stand at the front of the car and pick it up to remove it very easily. I figure if it gets worse to where I cant stand it ill just smooth it out and paint it.


I am also using the redlines with no problems and holding up great for 2 years now...

I was at a car show one time and a gorgeous mustang was sitting next to mine with a fiberglass hood.. A big storm rolled in and this guy was no where to be found. Everyone was scrambling around trying to get their cars buttoned up. This big gust of wind came out of no where and before I could get to his car the wind lifted the hood off the prop, broke it off at the hinges and smashed into his windshield/roof... Did all kinds of damage...

Struts ever since for me!!!
The dimples were caused from the hood strut?

.

tuned by performance dyno 496 rwhp 432 rwtq
July 2013 rotm winner
faym 08 is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old August 15th, 2013, 10:55 PM
Regular
 
Ryank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbia SC
Posts: 365
 
iTrader: 3 reviews
I got mine from Bangastang... I have a cervinis hood .. No problems with them ..
Ryank is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old August 15th, 2013, 10:59 PM
gtscrewd
 
faym 08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 5,228
Blog Entries: 1
                   
iTrader: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryank View Post
I got mine from Bangastang... I have a cervinis hood .. No problems with them ..
Yup you were the one that told me about them reps you sir..

.

tuned by performance dyno 496 rwhp 432 rwtq
July 2013 rotm winner
faym 08 is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old August 15th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Regular
 
Ryank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbia SC
Posts: 365
 
iTrader: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by faym 08 View Post
Yup you were the one that told me about them reps you sir..
Thanks bro ... I love mine.. I dont miss that sorry hood prop at all..
Ryank is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old August 26th, 2013, 11:36 AM
gtscrewd
 
faym 08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 5,228
Blog Entries: 1
                   
iTrader: 3 reviews
Do you guys get any creaking / kinda cracking noise very light you have to listen for it around the hinge area. I'm getting a little don't see any cracks at all just wondering if mines ok?

.

tuned by performance dyno 496 rwhp 432 rwtq
July 2013 rotm winner
faym 08 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome