winter project roll cage, seats, interior, fuel pump - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old August 20th, 2013, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to mister0big Send a message via Skype™ to mister0big
winter project roll cage, seats, interior, fuel pump

for this winter's project i am doing a 8 point roll cage with the swing out kit, high flow fuel pump, swapping the seats, replacing the grey carpet with black, installing the driveshaft safety loop, and reinforcing everything i can think of. i have the fx1 racing seats from corbeau with mounts and 5 point harness and the driveshaft safety loop. i am looking to get the roll cage, fuel pump, and carpet from american muscle. i am wanting to know from people who have done this or something similar what else i should do while i have it all out. i plan to start in November December time frame and will be picking up one piece every 2 weeks or so. are there any pieces i should get to weld in along with the roll cage to strengthen my chassis? i know ill get into it and then realize i need to go to the auto parts store or jump online to get something else while doing it lol.

any suggestions will be much appreciated

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

also i will post pictures and talk about any tricks or problems i come up with during the project.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by mister0big; August 21st, 2013 at 09:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old August 20th, 2013, 11:44 PM
Still slow.

Just curious, but with your mods why are you wanting a track ready car?
post #3 of 16 Old August 21st, 2013, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

the pyramids were not built in a day my friend. the car is a work in progress, with end goal supercharged with 500-600 horsepower and a tremac t-56 magnum 6 speed manual trans, all forged and stroked internals, nice body and color, and you see what i want to do to the interior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old August 21st, 2013, 08:37 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

You have sfc's?

96 GT turbocharged - SOLD
97 Cobra vert stock -SOLD
post #5 of 16 Old August 21st, 2013, 08:41 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandraxal View Post
You have sfc's?
This.. Full length subframe connectors are a must.
post #6 of 16 Old August 21st, 2013, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

yes i do, i have majority of the suspension done, replaced with aftermarket parts, and all new bushings everywhere. you can check my garage or project thread to see the full parts list.

i am more concerned with things i might be overlooking that should be done along with the seats, carpet, roll cage, fuel pump to make the most of my time, and make my life easier in the long run. i plan to reinforce alot of areas while i have it all out.

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

I don't mean to sound like an ass incase I come off that way, I appreciate the help and ideas. Actually I have gotten ideas and feedback on alot of the parts I have from members here. So thanks in advance
post #7 of 16 Old August 21st, 2013, 10:22 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

This sounds like a great build so far! I really enjoyed reading through your build thread so far. I think you're on the right track with your build and I look forward to seeing your car completed!

Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future!

-Dan

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
GET UP TO $200 TOWARDS YOUR NEXT PURCHASE FROM AM!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #8 of 16 Old August 21st, 2013, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks and actually I do. You all have 2 roll bars/cages and the swing out kit. I was going to call about the figment of those together the swing out kit and the cages. Can you tell me if the swing out kit will work with both cages or which one it will i know it said it was base on size of tubing. Also can you put all of the stuff on sale next month lol. Thanks for the help in advance

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

Also can I get one of them with chromoly instead of mild steel. Competition engineering offers the chromoly as well as the one that is on American muscle
post #9 of 16 Old August 22nd, 2013, 03:57 PM
Enthusiast

while you have it all torn apart look into custom mounting the dash and cutting out all the weight behind that. The stock dash bar is very heavy, bulky, and makes removing the dash a pain. While installing mine I made a custom mount for the dash using dzus fasteners so the dash can be removed quickly, easily and is much lighter

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

and also depending on if you are looking for more of a track or street car you can cut alot of weight out of the roof before you install the cage.

post #10 of 16 Old August 22nd, 2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Can you show me some pics and also link me to the parts. Does it keep the airbags and all that other factory crap? Also where can I pick up some ore dotted carpet. I read that the carpet on American muscle isn't pre fit. Also thanks for the info
post #11 of 16 Old August 22nd, 2013, 05:20 PM
Enthusiast

another thing i did was make seat mounts that mount the seats to the roll cage. I have kirkey drag seats so the back is mounted to the harness bar and then i have two bars that go from the rocker bar to the trans tunnel to mount the seat on.

I'm on a work computer but i'll see if i can find some pics i put online a while back. As far as a link to the parts, its just chromoly tubing that you have to fab up, hardest part is making the mount for the steering column. I removed my airbags but i dont see a reason you couldnt keep them.

Check on jegs for just a roll of carpet and then you can cut it out and glue it down yourself

also, while i had the carpet out i scraped off all that sound deadening crap, its extra weight but for a street car you may want to keep it.

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

Seat back mount

Heres the link to my photobucket with all the roll cage pics, theres none of the dash bar, and this is when i was running factory seats, carpet, and pretty much the whole factory interior
97dustang's Library | Photobucket

post #12 of 16 Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

alright I'm leaving work now when I get home I will check it all out and probally have a few questions for you if you don't mind

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

thats pretty nice. i see what you mean about the seats, im just going to put them in the normal way, but the back supposedly mounts to the cage so i will try to make that happen. i hope to retain alot of the factory accessories, like ac/heat, radio, airbags(they make my insurance cheaper. i plan to be able to take this car to shows, weekend rides, maybe to work on fridays, and to the track. i just want to make sure i have it built up to handle whatever i end up putting up front, and legal for the track. also are you in ohio?
post #13 of 16 Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:29 PM
Enthusiast

Ask whatever you want, I will try to help you out as best as i can. If your planning on keeping heat and a/c then i'd just stick with the stock dash support. Once you cut out the factory one it would be a pain to find somewhere to mount all of that and you would almost be back at the same weight as before so there would be no real gain.

I used to live in Cincinnati, OH I'm down in Clearwater, FL now though.

post #14 of 16 Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:36 PM
MM Fanatic

Garage
well since you have the carpet out and you are welding you might as well weld in battle boxes along with relocateing the battery to the trunk so u can run the wires under the carpet
post #15 of 16 Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

ah thanks condor i didnt even think of that.
post #16 of 16 Old August 29th, 2013, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

and +1 to rep condor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page