Double checking my logic please? (starter) - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Double checking my logic please? (starter)

Searched and pretty sure I know my issue, but would like to double check.
2003 Cobra.
Less than 20k miles; garage queen.

Wont start.
Jumped and started no problem.
Replaced battery and started every time but once.
Drove car, came back, wouldnt start.
Jacked car up, wrapped on starter with hammer to free-up possible stuck shaft etc. Cranked and started right up x 10.
Drove around. wouldnt start. Roll starts with no issues.
Sometimes it will start it I roll key forward and hold it, but usually not.
Dont hear click at all. I'm thinking the something is frozen, or damn near.

Starter right?
Connections looked good when I got underneath and replaced battery.
I havent gotten out the voltmeter yet.

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Update: no click still when turning key to start. But letting go, I hear a click when key returns to running or on position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old September 23rd, 2013, 06:15 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

a test light would work fine too, volt meter is more precise though. Have a friend turn the key when it has its no crank condition and test for voltage at the starter. So yeah, youre on the right track to diagnosing it yourself.

RAGEman-"Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, she's a whore."
MM Cobra Club #76
MM Cleavage Club #14
post #3 of 6 Old September 24th, 2013, 12:39 AM
More average than ever

Is your battery holding a charge? Could just be a dying alternator not charging the battery to the point where it can crank the car to start. Electrical problems can be a massive pain. It could also be the PATS system (this happened on my V6). Try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery and waiting for the juice to drain. You can tell when its drained by turning the AC on and off listening for the vent to open.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old September 24th, 2013, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Regular

(posting in detail incase someone has the same issue)

Update: I had some more time to troubleshoot this morning and pretty sure i've narrowed it down to what I would think is the clutch engagement switch (I dont know what the technical name is).

I double checked the starter relays and fuses to make sure I didnt overlook something simple. In disconnecting the battery I noticed the car would fire-up first crank. I killed it and cranked it again; nothing.

I then remembered reading something about the clutch neutral switch in my research, i doubled the clutch with the key in the start position and the car started up. I can reproduced the problem and this seems to fix it every time. Now to just find out how to fix this.

Edit: thanks for the help. Rep'd you both.

Last edited by GidEup; September 24th, 2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: racecar is racecar
post #5 of 6 Old September 24th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Down for the count

Quote:
Originally Posted by GidEup View Post
(posting in detail incase someone has the same issue)

Update: I had some more time to troubleshoot this morning and pretty sure i've narrowed it down to what I would think is the clutch engagement switch (I dont know what the technical name is).

I double checked the starter relays and fuses to make sure I didnt overlook something simple. In disconnecting the battery I noticed the car would fire-up first crank. I killed it and cranked it again; nothing.

I then remembered reading something about the clutch neutral switch in my research, i doubled the clutch with the key in the start position and the car started up. I can reproduced the problem and this seems to fix it every time. Now to just find out how to fix this.

Edit: thanks for the help. Rep'd you both.
I don't know if this is very helpful or not to you, man, but automatic Mustangs have the same plug as manuals do for the clutch safety switch. The only difference is they have a "dummy" plug in them with a jumper wire, that makes the circuit always complete. An easy way to test this would be to find an auto Mustang, unplug your clutch switch, and plug in the jumper. Just be aware that the car will attempt to start in gear with the dummy plug in.

What does your dyno sheet trap?
post #6 of 6 Old October 4th, 2013, 10:04 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

you can disconnect the switch to the clutch safety thing, and use a relay, or a piece of metal to connect the plug, so as to make a bridge in the plug it self. This tricks the car into thinking the clutch is engaged, so you can always start the car without pressing the clutch

2000 Mustang GT vert - Gone
2002 Mustang GT coupe - Sold on 12/20/17
2007 BMW 335i
1994 BMW 328i - Foxbody 5.0 Swap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page