Wish me luck on the cam install... - Page 5 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 12:41 PM
dirt/street Motorsports

Hey get out of bed and get too work on that shit

90 5.0 lx 5 speed. Project Classic 5.0 - BBK CAI, BBK longtubes , GT40 heads, 24 lb injectors , Edelbrock intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom vrooooom View Post
Hey get out of bed and get too work on that shit
I shit you not, I dreamed about it last night, and then I woke up and thought about it some more lol. Should be hittin it hard as soon as I get home.

CDC Chin Spoiler - Roush Upper/Lower Grill - Shaker Hood - MGW Shifter - MAC Prochambers/Headers - Roush O/R Extreme Catback - Eibach Lowering Springs - FRPP Hot Rod Cams - Halos/6K HID'S - BBK CAI
post #83 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Hoosier Daddy

The op needs a webcam in his garage=)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2010 GT Grabber blue 5 speed, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni oranges, GT 500 strut mounts, J&M adjustable panhard rod, 20" staggered Shelby Razors , Nitto NT555's, Hurst billet shifter, Mac Boomtube axle backs, FRPP Hot Rod cams, Bama tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 01:06 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGCHRISS197 View Post
I Figure that'd be simplest way, sorry for your struggles fullmetal, hopefully the other side goes smoother

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

Another question, if you're not removing the followers is it necessary to set the motor to tdc? Or can you swap the cams as the motor sits
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammin' 08 View Post
Putting it on TDC allows you to put the cam in with the least amount of tension while putting the journal caps back on
I'm not sure TDC is where you want it for the least amount of tension. It you follow the install instructions you want to have the motor in the position that they tell you to have it in after you remove the 3 followers. I know they're not removed but that is the position where you only have 3 cam lobes pressing against the followers. That is the point where there is the least pressure on the cam.

And I'm not sure why you are having issues with lining up the cam. There is only one way for it to go. I've never had to do any twisting or turning of the cam. I haven't looked at any of the install vids you guys are using but I think they're showing you the wrong way if you're having to wrestle the camshaft in any way.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #85 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 01:43 PM
00blkvert

That's what I was told from on of the guys at s&h said but I did per the hammeron write up
post #86 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 01:54 PM

It might be TDC. I never looked. I just turned the motor so those 3 followers were the only ones engaged with the cam lobes. And it's a different motor position for the passenger side.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #87 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 01:56 PM
00blkvert

Ya. I followed the guide step by step and was golden. I even printed it out helped alot
post #88 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Mechanical Engineer

Reading this install scares me. I'd be more worried about your bolt holes being over yielded than your bolts. If you leave those bolts too tight, you may put too much pressure on the bearing caps and cam. Good luck finding an in-lb torque wrench last minute without shelling out some cash.

The phaser should slide right on to the cam just like it came off the stock cam. If I remember right, I put the phaser on the cam, screwed the phaser bolt in hand tight and then proceeded to gradually install and tighten down my bearing caps in the order ford suggested.

I hope you have a wedge in your chain and you have not rotated the engine or let that chain get slack below the wedge. If you slip a tooth on that bottom sprocket you could trash your engine when you start it. If you feel for any reason that this may have happened, you probably want to pull the timing covers and re-time your engine. This sounds scary but, you need to know the consequences if you mess up.

You should not move your engine until the phaser is installed, bearing caps are tight and phaser bolt is torqued.

Also, be very careful not to bend the cam when installing it.
Edge84 likes this.

2006 Mustang GT
Pacesetter Ceramic L/T's
Pacesetter H-pipe
FR hot rod cams
FR Intake manifold
FR500 exaust
Hurst Competition Plus Short throw.
JLT CAI

2002 F-150

Sold:
2001 Mustang GT (miss this one)
post #89 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Well there's one thing I'm slightly worried about that I did without even thinking yesturday. So I put my cam in the drivers side, but didn't actually install it, so it's just sitting there. And without thinking, I pulled out the wedge and put it in the other side to start workin on getting that cam, right when I put the wedge in I was like "fuck... What did I do" lol I've had a wedge in there basically sense I took the covers off, but I took it out and switched it when I started working on my he other cam. So did I fuck up?

CDC Chin Spoiler - Roush Upper/Lower Grill - Shaker Hood - MGW Shifter - MAC Prochambers/Headers - Roush O/R Extreme Catback - Eibach Lowering Springs - FRPP Hot Rod Cams - Halos/6K HID'S - BBK CAI
post #90 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

i doubt it moved much, but to be sure you need to pull the timing cover and make sure it is still in time. nothing like starting it up the first time and having a vavle smack the piston!

07 gt, CMS cams, hurst, CAI/tuned, LT's, o/r h, m80's, FRPP mani, UDP, lowered with steeda 1.25/1.5, exedy mach 400/race flywheel, 1-pc DS, BMR upper/lowers, 4.10's, CHE brace with TL's, and a few other things that dont add up to much.
post #91 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzr confused View Post
i doubt it moved much, but to be sure you need to pull the timing cover and make sure it is still in time. nothing like starting it up the first time and having a vavle smack the piston!
Now I think about it I'm thinking more that I should of kept it in lol oh boy, guess itl take longer to get my car up to running status. Plus I have no clue what to do to fix it now if it is messed up haha live and learn

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Worst case scenario, my girlfriends dad is a mechanics, so I wait till he comes over on thanksgiving to help me and i just jack my car up in the meantime and get to work in powder coating my calipers

post #92 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 02:53 PM
dirt/street Motorsports

Yea that timing chain stuff would worry me too

90 5.0 lx 5 speed. Project Classic 5.0 - BBK CAI, BBK longtubes , GT40 heads, 24 lb injectors , Edelbrock intake.
post #93 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

I hate being a mechanical moron lol ok so I might as well atleast get the passenger side cam in.. So should I do the towel and wrench turning thing or use a different approach when getting the cam to fit in the sprocket?

post #94 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal7777 View Post
Well there's one thing I'm slightly worried about that I did without even thinking yesturday. So I put my cam in the drivers side, but didn't actually install it, so it's just sitting there. And without thinking, I pulled out the wedge and put it in the other side to start workin on getting that cam, right when I put the wedge in I was like "fuck... What did I do" lol I've had a wedge in there basically sense I took the covers off, but I took it out and switched it when I started working on my he other cam. So did I fuck up?
Was the chain already on the cam sprocket when you removed the wedge, or was it just laying there?

post #95 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Regular

This is a thread for how NOT to do a cam install. Almost everything that you could do wrong you have done. It will make you better at in the long run but make take $$ and headache to get there. Good luck.
post #96 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 03:16 PM
00blkvert

Id more worried about the chain coming off the bottom sprocket if it wasn't wedged on the passenger side... any one else?

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Not necessarily fell off but the bottom of the chain not catching the sprocket causing it to pop off when it turns over
post #97 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 03:38 PM

If the chain was around the cam sprocket you can yank the wedge out of there and the chain won't come off the crank sprocket, if the cam was just laying on the journals. If you moved the camshaft around and let slack develop without the Wedge in there you may have jumped a tooth.

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammin' 08 View Post
Id more worried about the chain coming off the bottom sprocket if it wasn't wedged on the passenger side... any one else?
Que?

post #98 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Insomniac

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanielwilliam View Post
Good luck finding an in-lb torque wrench last minute without shelling out some cash
81 in/lbs is 6.7 ft/lbs

post #99 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 03:48 PM
00blkvert

Boss what you said is what I was asking just differently with jumping teeth
post #100 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
Was the chain already on the cam sprocket when you removed the wedge, or was it just laying there?
The chain was never taken off of the sprocket, but the sprocket was removed from the cam when I removed the wedge

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02gtowner View Post
This is a thread for how NOT to do a cam install. Almost everything that you could do wrong you have done. It will make you better at in the long run but make take $$ and headache to get there. Good luck.
Haha I think I actually said at sometime before the install that normally anything that can go wrong when I install shit does

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page