1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 02:56 PM
dirt/street Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom vrooooom View Post
Can't wait too see the results. Lol lol
Repost

90 5.0 lx 5 speed. Project Classic 5.0 - BBK CAI, BBK longtubes , GT40 heads, 24 lb injectors , Edelbrock intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Fuck, I forgot to go buy a in/lb torque wrench on the way home.... Fuck my life lol

CDC Chin Spoiler - Roush Upper/Lower Grill - Shaker Hood - MGW Shifter - MAC Prochambers/Headers - Roush O/R Extreme Catback - Eibach Lowering Springs - FRPP Hot Rod Cams - Halos/6K HID'S - BBK CAI
post #103 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Hoosier Daddy

Just for the record, I just got off the phone with AM and they said phase limiters are needed with the hot rod NSR's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 03:08 PM
00blkvert

I don't know why they told you that it's not even on thier website lol. Plus you can trust when we say you don't need them for the hotrods
post #105 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 03:11 PM
MM's Official Lab Rat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed1 View Post
Just for the record, I just got off the phone with AM and they said phase limiters are needed with the hot rod NSR's
That's because they want to sell you a part you don't need.

^No phase limiters installed here...lol

2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium Triple Yellow - At Corsa
2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium Screaming Yellow - 1st Car/Soon to be Retired Daily Driver
2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Dark Shadow Gray - Gone
2004 Ford Mustang GT Premium Oxford White - Gone
post #106 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

damn this install is testing me lol i dont even know what to do at this point about all the problems im having lol anyway someone can just tell me "alright this is what you need to do" lol

seriously tho, thanks for all the help so far guys. Especially you Cammin. Im pretty terrible with this shit so its almost certain that things will turn out for the worse before it gets better haha but yeah, how should i go about making sure that the chain is ok or whatever on the drivers side and the cam matches up with the sprocket on the passenger side? i dont have to worry about blowing myself up whenever im drilling a hole in that bolt i popped earlier do i? haha

@[email protected]

CDC Chin Spoiler - Roush Upper/Lower Grill - Shaker Hood - MGW Shifter - MAC Prochambers/Headers - Roush O/R Extreme Catback - Eibach Lowering Springs - FRPP Hot Rod Cams - Halos/6K HID'S - BBK CAI
post #107 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 03:19 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal7777 View Post
The chain was never taken off of the sprocket, but the sprocket was removed from the cam when I removed the wedge

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Haha I think I actually said at sometime before the install that normally anything that can go wrong when I install shit does
That may or may not be a problem. If there was any slack in the chain, then there is the possibility of the cam being out of time. Normally I would tell you to just crank the motor over by hand and check for any valve to piston clearance issues, but with the VCT being active, this is not a very effective way to check.

If there was slack in the chain I would pull the cover and check. Did you put the wedge back in? Did you hold the chain tight when you put it back in? If you didn't hold the chain while putting it back in, that would increase the possibility of being off.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #108 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 03:20 PM
00blkvert

Your drivers side still has the wedge right? If not is the cam still in? As long as the chains had tension on the bottom half the whole time you should be fine.

And no you won't blow up but how do you plan on fixing it? I would be more worried about that then the timing ha
post #109 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
That may or may not be a problem. If there was any slack in the chain, then there is the possibility of the cam being out of time. Normally I would tell you to just crank the motor over by hand and check for any valve to piston clearance issues, but with the VCT being active, this is not a very effective way to check.

If there was slack in the chain I would pull the cover and check. Did you put the wedge back in? Did you hold the chain tight when you put it back in? If you didn't hold the chain while putting it back in, that would increase the possibility of being off.
I'm pretty sure the chain has Been tight the whole time, the sprocket is keeping it pretty tight. I havnt put the wedge back in the drivers side, it's still in the passenger side.

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammin' 08 View Post
Your drivers side still has the wedge right? If not is the cam still in? As long as the chains had tension on the bottom half the whole time you should be fine.

And no you won't blow up but how do you plan on fixing it? I would be more worried about that then the timing ha
I put the hot rode can in, but I didn't connect it to the sprocket yet. That's when I took the wedge out and put it in the passenger side. I was gunna use a screw extractor, drilling a hole in it, then using the tool in the kit that you can screw in the hole and use a wrench to turn it while it's in the drilled hole

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

That wrag and wrench thing doesn't work o.o I'm starting to hate this lol

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

i could probly just take out those three followers, or even all of them if i have to if thats what i gotta do for it to fit. Will it work if i just take out the followers? because i just want to get this done lol

post #110 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Insomniac

Garage
I'd suggest going backwards before going forwards, take the cam caps off, turn cam to fit into the phaser, put cam caps back on, repeat on other side. Pull timing cover and make sure timing is correct.

post #111 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGCHRISS197 View Post
I'd suggest going backwards before going forwards, take the cam caps off, turn cam to fit into the phaser, put cam caps back on, repeat on other side. Pull timing cover and make sure timing is correct.
thats the problem, when i turn the cam to fit the phaser, it lifts up so it wont go in, which is why im suggesting just saying fuck it and taking the followers off lol and ill only have to do the timing cover thing for one side right? or does the cover go on both sides? ill probly be able to find a guide on that

post #112 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 04:17 PM

No, leave the followers in. Just put the phaser onto the cam, keeping tension on the chain. Lay the cam onto the journals and put the caps on. have someone just press down on the camshaft as you are tightening the journals. I would get them all snugged down and then tighten them little by little, moving in an even pattern, until all the bolts are torqued to the 89 inlbs. or whatever. I think I did mine just a bit tighter and I think I did it to compensate for any upward pressure exerted on the camshaft by the followers. Though in retrospect, I don't think that is going to effect the torquing of the journal caps.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #113 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 04:17 PM
gtscrewd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed1 View Post
Nope don't need them but what does come in handy is that throttle body spacer they always try and push lol

tuned by performance dyno 496 rwhp 432 rwtq
July 2013 rotm winner
post #114 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal7777 View Post
thats the problem, when i turn the cam to fit the phaser, it lifts up so it wont go in, which is why im suggesting just saying fuck it and taking the followers off lol and ill only have to do the timing cover thing for one side right? or does the cover go on both sides? ill probly be able to find a guide on that
You just have to push it down and get the journal caps started. Depending on how the motor is positioned it may take quite a bit of force to get the camshaft seated down in their journals.

What you should have done was position the motor so it had the least amount of pressure between the followers and camshaft. Swapped the cam and then done the other side because the motor needs to be in two different positions to do each side.

Finish the drivers side first and then move over to the other side. You can't do both at the same time.

And the timing cover is the front cover to the engine. It will expose the timing chains going to both sides. And I am sure there is another way to check the cam timing without having to pull the cover. If you can find the relationship to the piston and the valve openings and closings it can be checked without yanking the cover.

post #115 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 04:23 PM
MM's Official Lab Rat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faym 08 View Post
Nope don't need them but what does come in handy is that throttle body spacer they always try and push lol
LOL!

2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium Triple Yellow - At Corsa
2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium Screaming Yellow - 1st Car/Soon to be Retired Daily Driver
2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Dark Shadow Gray - Gone
2004 Ford Mustang GT Premium Oxford White - Gone
post #116 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
You just have to push it down and get the journal caps started. Depending on how the motor is positioned it may take quite a bit of force to get the camshaft seated down in their journals.

What you should have done was position the motor so it had the least amount of pressure between the followers and camshaft. Swapped the cam and then done the other side because the motor needs to be in two different positions to do each side.

Finish the drivers side first and then move over to the other side. You can't do both at the same time.

And the timing cover is the front cover to the engine. It will expose the timing chains going to both sides. And I am sure there is another way to check the cam timing without having to pull the cover. If you can find the relationship to the piston and the valve openings and closings it can be checked without yanking the cover.
Ah ok, I see where I fucked up... Well the drivers side is the one where the timing might be off, so should I do that timing shit and check or is it alright?

post #117 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 04:56 PM
dirt/street Motorsports

Voted best suspense thread ever. This shit like a edge of your seat movie lol

90 5.0 lx 5 speed. Project Classic 5.0 - BBK CAI, BBK longtubes , GT40 heads, 24 lb injectors , Edelbrock intake.
post #118 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom vrooooom View Post
Voted best suspense thread ever. This shit like a edge of your seat movie lol
im mostly just worried about fucking shit up getting that bolt out man lol i already messed up the drill practicing on the broken bolts, dulled that down pretty quick. off to the store again lol

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

oh btw, the drivers side cam fits fine in the phaser i think.

post #119 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Premium Member

Only thing worse that can happen at this point is, when your trying to get the bolt out, you break the easy out in the broken bolt. Then you have to drill out the hardened steel. This sounds like a mess.

2.3L TVS--2.4" PULLEY--FRPP CJ 65mm TB--JLT 127mm INTAKE--BOSCH 72# INJECTORS--KENNE BELL BAP--C&R DUAL HEAT EXCHANGER--MOTORCRAFT SP471 PLUGS--OFFROAD X--CORSA EXTREMES--170* THERMOSTAT--GATES GREEN HD BELT ---642/635 ON A MUSTANG DYNO-BIG 3 RACING
post #120 of 1155 Old November 25th, 2013, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROK3N View Post
Only thing worse that can happen at this point is, when your trying to get the bolt out, you break the easy out in the broken bolt. Then you have to drill out the hardened steel. This sounds like a mess.
yeah im really worried about getting this bolt out tbh, no clue how thats gunna work out. and i cant really weld around it for obvious reasons..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page