Forums at Modded Mustangs

Forums at Modded Mustangs (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/)
-   Modular Mustangs (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/modular-mustangs/)
-   -   Wish me luck on the cam install... (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/modular-mustangs/354938-wish-me-luck-cam-install.html)

fullmetal7777 November 22nd, 2013 12:58 PM

Wish me luck on the cam install...

Starting my cam install today, would not be surprised if it took me a few days lol using two different write ups to hold my hand through this whole process. Will post videos when its done! Damn i hope i dont fuck anything up lol these are the guides im using btw
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-write-up.html
FRPP Hot Rod Cams

any quick tips before i begin? btw, whats the best way to remove a spark plug?

Cammin' 08 November 22nd, 2013 01:21 PM

I used the 2nd write up you have posted. Just follow that step by step and you'll be good. Just watch your followers to make sure they stay in place. O and I didn't have to pull any of them either.

For plugs I think just use the socket that fits to get them unthreaded then I use either needle nose pliers or a.regular spark plug socket to pull them out but I think I left my plugs in.

07 Boss November 22nd, 2013 01:32 PM

Pulling the plugs just makes it easier to turn the engine over by hand. You can leave them in if you want.

fullmetal7777 November 22nd, 2013 01:41 PM

Any chance to make the process easier I'll take lol thank god for pictures, I have no clue what any of the shit their saying is lol guess I'll be learning a lot on this install

ruger226 November 22nd, 2013 01:45 PM

What cams did you buy?

Cammin' 08 November 22nd, 2013 01:46 PM

If you have an extra set of hands/eyes that will also help.

BIGCHRISS197 November 22nd, 2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cammin' 08 (Post 6467514)
I used the 2nd write up you have posted. Just follow that step by step and you'll be good. Just watch your followers to make sure they stay in place. O and I didn't have to pull any of them either.

For plugs I think just use the socket that fits to get them unthreaded then I use either needle nose pliers or a.regular spark plug socket to pull them out but I think I left my plugs in.

I unusually use the correct socket to loosen them, then use a coil pack to pull them out. Good luck on the install bud, you're a little braver than me

07 Boss November 22nd, 2013 01:52 PM

You'll be alright Bullethead. You should be able to do a cam swap in an afternoon. It's not that hard, don't let it freak you out.

fullmetal7777 November 22nd, 2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruger226 (Post 6467698)
What cams did you buy?

Hot rods

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cammin' 08 (Post 6467714)
If you have an extra set of hands/eyes that will also help.

My dads gunna be here, but he's about as mechanically challenged as I am lol

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 07 Boss (Post 6467794)
You'll be alright Bullethead. You should be able to do a cam swap in an afternoon. It's not that hard, don't let it freak you out.

Yeah I'm just gunna take it nice and slow lol multiple write ups with lots of pictures should serve me well.

fzr confused November 22nd, 2013 02:18 PM

Good luck man! I will be in your shoes pretty soon.

VonEpp November 22nd, 2013 02:55 PM

Its not bad, did a cam swap in my 07 over the course of a day and a half. FFRP intake manifold, Beehive valve springs, phaser limiters. But we just pulled the heads so it was a bit easier.
Advice - make sure you have a tune ready or you're dead in the water, change your plugs when you do the swap, order the lisle tool in case you break off a plug.

YoungBlood November 22nd, 2013 03:09 PM

Can't wait to do mine, the install looks easy honestly! I plan on doin the method where you don't use a spring compressor, just loosen everything evenly to pull out the stock then tighten everything evenly to install the new ones. I'll do my plugs then too I guess I had forgot about that

cschoening09 November 22nd, 2013 04:59 PM

these are both good videos for the visual learner like myself!

if you havent already ( not sure if you have to or not but i did as it was obvious id have more room.) go ahead and remove your battery and battery tray, then the coil packs. some short bungie cords or zip ties are a good help to hold the wireing harness' out of your way while working near the cams.

fullmetal7777 November 22nd, 2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW2SatansBaby (Post 6468530)
make sure you have a tune ready or you're dead in the water, change your plugs when you do the swap, order the lisle tool in case you break off a plug.

This is why I chose to do it at my house rather my friends who has some mechanical experience, just in case something happened or I didn't get my tune in then it's no biggie cuz it's at my place. But luckily they sent my tune to me today

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cschoening09 (Post 6469618)
3V Camshaft Swap - YouTube

More Mustang Power with a Cam Upgrade - YouTube

these are both good videos for the visual learner like myself!

if you havent already ( not sure if you have to or not but i did as it was obvious id have more room.) go ahead and remove your battery and battery tray, then the coil packs. some short bungie cords or zip ties are a good help to hold the wireing harness' out of your way while working near the cams.

I was actually gunna look up some videos when I got home, so your awesome lol thanks man

BROK3N November 22nd, 2013 07:14 PM

I got a tip, get off your phone and get it started and don't stop till its done

vroom vrooooom November 22nd, 2013 07:36 PM

Can't wait too see the results. Lol lol

RenegadeRukus November 22nd, 2013 07:59 PM

Good luck with it, I'll hopefully be doing mine after the tax return :D I can't wait!!

Silverrider November 22nd, 2013 08:18 PM

I only changed a battery and put a cai on before my cam swap.. and mine turned out all right..

07 Boss November 22nd, 2013 08:20 PM

Oh and it's probably too late and probably won't make a difference but I always cleaned the camshaft real good and soaked it in oil overnight. Don't know if anyone does this anymore but it was just the way I was taught

ford20 November 22nd, 2013 08:50 PM

I wouldn't remove the plugs unless you have a lisle spark plug tool handy as you have the old style head with the two piece spark plug.